mini vent: Being an atheist at Xmas... - Page 7 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #91  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Being offended by ignorance and intolerance means you're "giving in to a higher power"? Could you explain that further?

I am quite annoyed at the repeated expressions of "why do you care" that keeps being thrown out there.

Let me ask this: If someone came here and said "on another board someone told me I didn't have a right to eat holiday food because I'm fat" everyone on this board would be up in arms ... giving support and comfort and telling the OP that she should be strong and ignore those who are clueless and ignorant. But because someone is annoyed or upset because she was slammed for her atheism, then she is instead given various versions of "why do you care" and "it's your problem" and "it's just a message board".

So is support here only for those who believe in some god or gods? Or is it for everyone, regardless of their religious choices?

Well sure. If you are offended by ignorance, (which is hard for me to understand why you would call someone who believes differently than you ignorant) or intolerance, then the forces of these emotions are more powerful than you are. It's very simple. Why do you care about something that you absolutely do not believe in? I don't give a rats @$$ about boxing and I would never go on a message board where I have openly expressed I don't believe in the violence of boxing and announce I was having a party during the the world heavyweight championship, but it was NOT a boxing celebration. Furthermore get all mad when someone told me I shouldn't have one because I don't believe in the violence of boxing. Like Duh. I don't care about it, I don't talk about it, it is a non-issue. I don't care that you might love it, I don't care if you practice it, I don't care about it period.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 12-27-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Lori your logic is skewed.

No one was talking about being offended about something they dont' care about. The OP was told that it was wrong for her to have any kind of "celebration" this time of year because it was Christmas and as an atheist she doesn't have the right to celebrate anything.

That's not about her belief. That's about someone who is ignorant and intolerant telling her that she's not allowed to get together with her family and exchange gifts because she doesn't believe what they do.

And yes, she has a right to be offended by that. That's not about her belief. That's about her right as an American and as a human being to do whatever the heck she wants as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's right.

And that has NOTHING to do with "giving in to a higher power". People have rights as individuals whether they are atheists, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Jains, or whatever they happen to carry as a spiritual faith.

It disturbs me that you seem to equate having rights with belief in a higher power exclusively.

Oh and by the way, don't twist my words. I IN NO WAY said that someone who believes differently from me is ignorant. I said that someone who thinks I don't have the same rights they do because I don't believe the way they do is ignorant. But those are two drastically different things.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-27-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #93  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PHOTOCHICK ~ I was wondering if you know when Caesar Augusta (?) demanded the first tax in Rome, for the bible says that was held just before JESUS was born (remember Joseph had to take Mary back to Bethlehem for the census and tax payment); that should have given them a better idea of the day he was born, becuz she gave birth to Jesus just before or after that. Any ideas, as I know you are a history lover???

Uhmmm ... the date was just a guestimate really, from what I know; and they also changed the sabbath to Sunday here in North America as well, and a friend recently asked me why they did that too?

And heck, I do a light form of yoga and tai chi for seniors; and there is nothing bad in that. When I meditate, I only meditate on bible scriptures, so what's wrong with that? I think too many people make comments about subjects that they really don't have any clue about.

There is no inherent sin in doing yoga or tai chi. I have a tai chi video by a master, and it's just beautiful movements to beautiful music. And the yoga we do here is mainly stretches, walking, and contemplation of whatever you want to think about; plus my PILATES guide is very similar.

I'm a Christian, but I respect other people's opinions ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #94  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

is there ANY "sin" in practicing yoga? i honestly can't see where it would even be a factor.

Last edited by painted lady; 12-27-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
I was wondering if you know when Caesar Augusta (?) demanded the first tax in Rome, for the bible says that was held just before JESUS was born (remember Joseph had to take marry back to Bethlehem for the census and tax payment); that should have given them a better idea of the day he was born, becuz she gave birth to Jesus just before or after that.
Yeah, see that's problematical because there are actually 3 or 4 census recordings that were taking during Augustus' reign as Emporer (I don't recall the exact number, but I believe that Augustus himself listed him as some of the most important things he did during his reign).

But even then, that doesn't pinpoint a specific DAY because taking a census isn't something that is done on a day or even over a week period. Even in the US, our census, which is taken every 10 years, takes 6+ months to complete. I think when the last census paperwork was sent out, our copy said we had 90 days to complete and return it? Something like that.

Ok, I just did a quick google and the generally accepted dates of Augustus' censuses (censi? ) are:
28 BC
8 BC
14 AD
(http://www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/augdates.html)

So ... there's a rough year there (and this timeline shows Jesus being born about 6/7 BC) but it wouldn't be any aid in giving you an exact date. A census could have taken many years to complete back in those times.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #96  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Oh, thanks PHOTOCHICK ~ yes, I see what you mean; the census does take some time to do. Thanks for googling that too.

OP ~ you can celebrate whatever you want, whenever you want, in my opinion; I was giggling at some of the responses here. ie Christians jealous of other's stealing their holiday! That's a good one ...

PAINTED LADY ~ I agree whole-heartedly; I was really miffed when I read that one!

IMHO ~ Now for my personal opinion, not talking to or about anyone or thing specifically, and I mean no offence to anyone -- but, I do think that sometimes, some Christians are a tad judgemental, and hastily so; which BTW, is a sin; which was mostly directed towards Christians in the bible days, and we need to work on that one. Paul, one of Jesus' latter ministers was vehement about not being judgemental about anything! We are encouraged to 'DISCERN' with wisdom, compassion, and mercy: but that's a whole different matter. Finally, we were instructed to do whatever we could to get along with our 'neighbour' ...

Afterall, we share this life and this world ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #97  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Wow! Sure wish I had seen this thread before now!

Well--many of you know I'm Buddhist. (I don't mean I "like Buddhist thinking" or "am a philosophical Buddhist." I mean that I am a practicing, refuge-taking, teacher-following Buddhist.) Now, Buddhists do not believe in a creator god, and therefore technically Buddhists are atheists.

I grew up, however, in a mostly LDS family in Salt Lake. At the time, the entire society was dominated by that sect.

So, I do have personal difficulty with Christians or anyone else trying to tell other people what they should or should not do based on their own religious views.

There aren't any Buddhist holidays around the time of Christmas. However, I see it as a time when many faiths celebrate love and compassion, and that's not a bad thing. What bothers me (and many Christians as well) is the consumerism bit.

But now, it's past for another year. Happy New Year, everyone.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-27-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #98  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Interesting discussion - I have enjoyed reading everyone's post - good points and history lessons. The thread is getting a little long and we are now moving on to New Year's I'm going to close it now.

Anyone up for a discussion on the origins of New Year's Eve traditions?
Closed Thread