Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #1  
art savvy southpaw

S/C/G: 220/204/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Healthy Food Shopping on a limited/fixed income

I am what I like to call semi-retired. I am disabled and receive ssdi. I have a strict budget so I am looking for reasonable ways to eat healthy. Some of the things I buy when grocery shopping are: oatmeal, bananas, apples, carrots (not the baby ones), frozen vegetables, raisins, coconut oil (store brand), potatoes, corn tortilla wraps, peanut butter, frozen fish, bags of shredded coleslaw without dressing to use as salad, imitation crabmeat and yogurt.

I plan to purchase a combo blender/food processor as I think this will help me prepare and maybe freeze food to stay on a healthy track.

Any feedback on other items is much appreciated
HydraWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #2  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hello HydraWoman...

This link is to "The healthiest foods in the world". One of the criteria he used when selecting them was availability and affordability. In addition to the foods you have listed above, I would add dried beans and peas. They are very nutritious and very affordable - a 1# bag (around $1.00 to $1.50) will last me a week. DH doesn't care nearly as much for beans as I do!

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Take care!
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #3  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Oh, and eating seasonally helps, too!

https://ofbf.org/whats-in-season/
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #4  
art savvy southpaw

S/C/G: 220/204/175

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the feedback! I bookmarked that site too. There are so many foods choices out there that are healthy for us
HydraWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Arrow Thats Incredibly hard 2 do

I try but TV dinners w/ salad are just cheaper.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Wink tv dinners w/ salad like coleslaw mixed together plus a slice of wheat bread and exer

And DAILY evening walks Too.....

Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 09-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 435/342/215

Height: 6'2"

Brown rice, quinoa, and lentils - you can find them very cheap bulk at health food stores.
joannaspsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

Tight finances are an issue for me too, especially when my hubby refuses to eat healthy. I'm trying to work it out where we can both be happy and it still be affordable. Dinner is the biggest issue for us.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #9  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

You are what you eat, and I am of the belief that Food is Medicine. One great way to eat the healthiest, most nutritious food is to eat local. The fresher the produce, the more nutrients there are. The less processed your food, the healthier (sorry, but tv dinners are just not a healthy option, even if they are cheap). Join a CSA, shop farm stands or farms that offer U-pick. Grow your own--even if you just plant one thing you love.

For finding farms in your area, localharvest.org is a great site that allows you to plug in your zip code and find CSAs and farmers' markets near you. Some markets even double food stamp dollars, and some farmers will discount if you show up at the end of the market prepared to buy the lot of what is left. Also, as LurchMama mentioned, produce in season is going to be cheaper than out of season produce that has to be shipped in.

It's a struggle, but in the end, you're paying out of pocket whether you like it or not. Personally, I like the taste of yummy food more than expensive doctor bills/medication?
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I shop the European way, every couple of days for fresh stuff like veg/meats/fish/poultry. That way I can pick up whatever is on sale because its due date is close. If you are cooking it in the next day or two, it doesn't matter. Yogourt due dates are just a straight out lie as long as the seal is intact. I've had organic plain yogourt that was fine a month after its best before date. I stock up on eggs when they go on sale and hard boil enough for a couple of jars of pickled eggs to munch on at lunchtime. When cheese is on sale, I buy a large block and put some away in the freezer. The texture does become more crumbly but it works fine if you melt it on your food. I have been lucky in that I have several neighbours that are avid gardeners and just want to get rid of some of their produce. It may mean you get to eat zucchini for a week, but that's how it goes. I also shop with the seasons. I have Celiac disease but I do not bother wasting my money on GF substitute foods such as breads or treats. Staples I tend to pick up in larger quantities when they are on sale to store in my cupboard. Crock Pots and Instant Pots are great tools too, that can make cheaper meats and veg yummy and tender.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:17 AM   #11  

I like this recipe - grilled turkey salad
Not sooo expensive and delicious!)
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #12  

Get a Costco membership. Twin packs of organic whole chickens are about $20. Lots of frozen organic fruits and veggies - I was at my local one today and they had green beans, mixed veggies, mango chunks and blueberries - and they sell fresh organic apples, carrots, bananas and salad greens year-round. The Kirkland brand refrigerated orange juice is organic, and so are their eggs and shelf-stable soy Kodi nox milk.

Last edited by amelbeabk; 04-03-2021 at 06:27 AM.
amelbeabk is offline   Reply With Quote