Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Yes
Old 12-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #288  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
Sorry you haven't heard from me for awhile. I took my computer in for repairs as it was freezing up on me and shutting down all by itself all the time. I took it to Best Buy and they did a back up of my hard drive and then re-installed my Windows Operating System. I got it back home2 days later; plugged it in and it was beeping at me so hauled it back again. The memory board was loose. After I got it back home I'm still having problems but by then I couldn't take it back as I had to go up north for my Christmas Dinner with my DD and DG. I met my grandson's G/F and she is very nice and easy to get along with. I just got back home yesterday and have now had a chance to give my computer a little workout. It is still freezing and shutting down on me. So this morning I'm taking it back to Best Buy as they have already charged me $259.00 for what they have done. I don't know when I'll be able to get back here if I have to leave it with them again.

I also got a speeding ticket driving up north doing 118 km. in a 80 km zone. Happy Day.....another $232.00 plus ? points. My very first ticket in my life. I hope my insurance doesn't go up. I'm thinking about going to court to fight it for a reduced amount and no points as this is my first time. Don't know for sure it I'll do that. They had a good laugh up north for "granny" to get a speeding ticket lol.

I'm afraid I can't do personals today as I need to update my banking online and get a few other computer things done (backing up) before I take this monster back to the store.

Mary - I copied your sweet potato Souffle....it sounds so yummy.

Elaine - Welcome to our group. I need to lose at least 50 lbs. and am having a very hard time with that as I don't get enough exercise. I'm 73 yrs. old and have a breathing problem so I don't last very long walking. All the ladies here are very supportive and wonderful. Mary explained very fully what we are all about ie: not just diet talk. I'm also fairly new to the group but just love it.

I'll post again just as soon as I can. If I have to purchase a new computer I'll need to reload a bunch of programs etc. etc.

Karrine
Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #289  

Height: 5' 2"

Karrine Glad you are ok. Best Buy did good job the first time I took it in. Sure hope you get decent job done and for NO MORE MONEY>
Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #290  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It was a nice day today ~ sunny and bright. I actually felt like I had a little pep and was in good spirits.

Did a lot of cooking, so that will help make the next few days easier. A pot of soup, a bean casserole, two pans of roasted vegetables. Steamed some broccoli. Been looking for some warm dishes during this chilly weather. Made a breakfast dish with quinoa and apples ~ would kind of take the place of oatmeal. Saw a method of cooking a butternut squash that made it easier, so tried that.

Got to talk to my mom a few minutes today ~ was lucky this time, she was awake when I called. Got to visit with my sister by phone yesterday. Sara got home from work early on Friday evening, so she visited us for a bit. Jason stopped by for a bit on Saturday and visited. I love it when I get to see my kids.

Today is Jason's birthday ~ I called his phone and sang happy birthday in a voice mail message. So, he'll maybe get a smile when he takes his break at work tonight.

Now just kind of relaxing with what is left of the day today.

Karrine ~ hope you get your computer fixed without it costing more money. Glad you had a nice time with your family at the Christmas gathering. Sorry about your speeding ticket. A similar thing happened to me with the speeding. I was going to visit my daughter ~ she was in her own car ~ a few minutes ahead of me. There was a police car on the side of the road watching for speeders. She said she thought about calling me to warn me, but then said no, mom moves like a snail, so she didn't bother. Don't you know, I got pulled over. I wasn't going way fast, but just enough ~ a little over ~ to get pulled over. Thankfully I just got a warning. We had a good laugh about that after ~ mom the lead foot.

Hello Mary, Sandy, Carol Sue and Elaine.

Hope you all have had a good day.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #291  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I got a ticket one time. I was in my 20s. I was speeding and went through a red light. Got a fine, points, and lost my license for 15 days. Now I drive extremely slow when I do drive and not on the highway at all. I still drove when I lost my license because I had to go to work, but I didn't get caught. I used to drive very fast in my younger days, but now I am definitely a little old lady.

Gayle, I'm confused about who is your child and who is your grandchild. I know Sara is your daughter and the mother of Maddie, your granddaughter, but is Jason your son, and isn't there another grandchild, a boy? Now you're mentioned Evie. Don't remember hearing about her before. LOL Forgive me if I'm being too nosy for online. I'm just curious.

Your make-ahead food sounds so good, and healthy too. You both seem to be doing so well with this diet change. I notice the difference in how I feel when I don't keep up with eating my vegetables.

I had such great health before I turned 50 and expected that to continue. That's when I started to gain weight and I blame most of my healthy problems on that. I wasn't naturally thin and fit but I worked at staying that way. Somewhere along the line I just gave up and this is the result. I understand about the RA. I agree that weight doesn't seem to have an effect on that. I always want to tell younger people not to end up like me, and that's especially when I see them smoking. Some day they will probably want to stop and that is so hard.

Karrine, when our old computer crashed we took it to a repair man who fixed it for $100, but we lost everything on our hard drive. We didn't have anything important on it. After that, as soon as we started to notice problems again we ended up buying a new computer. We didn't want to keep pouring more money into a computer that was already out of date. We had had it for several years. DH uses it now for playing games. It's so helpful to have someone in the family who knows about computers, but unfortunately we don't have that. There are still some things I don't like about Windows 10 but I'm getting used to it.

Mary, all of our other dogs would bark when someone came but stop after they came in. This one never stops. If a person is here for 2 hours, he barks for 2 hours. DH doesn't like me using the muzzle for training, but I don't think it hurts him to have it on for a short time and I think he knows why I put it on him. The vets use them when they are treating a dog and they wouldn't do that if it was harmful. DH thinks an animal should be free to do what they want and I believe in training. He wouldn't want the dog to do his business in the house. He had to be trained to do that outside.

Sandy, I'm glad to hear that you got to spend some time talking with your adult children. As you get older, they become more like friends. Good for your daughter for losing the 40 lbs. That always seems to improve health when done safely.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #292  

Height: 5'3"

Finally getting here...seems like the days are flying by! Christmas will be here before I know it. I hope you are all enjoying the season. Dh got the tree up yesterday and today I laid out all our traditional decorations and put some ornaments on the tree. Our son put the star on top as he's the tallest. I finally left the rest of the ornaments undone and went shopping. I bought a couple gifts for one of my gds and also bought another vacuum from Costco...it is the lightweight Rocket. Its ok but I still prefer my old Shark, so I'm taking it back. It is SO hard to repack those things! I was careful to keep all the pieces in the order I removed them, but it still took me a long time to get them all back in and I had an extra thing..one of those things that are kinda like an eggcrate. But at least I could close it, so I just put the eggcrate on top and will tell them that was the best I could do I guess. It's like a giant puzzle. The previous one took me even longer but I managed to get everything in and the box closed, and I thought this one would be easier...smaller, less parts etc, but no it was not.

Carol Sue - I was skinny until after my 3rd baby...I didn't gain any more weight with him than the others...always 25-26# gained with each of my babies but I did gain it faster in my pregnancy, then slowed down instead of doing the usual. I had a lot of burning pain in my upper abdomen with him though as he seemed to stretch the area more although he wasn't big, only 6 lbs 8 oz. It was also that pregnancy that left me slightly numb on top of both thighs. Anyway back to the weight...after he was born I was just right. I weighed 124# and looked really good. I was 26 then, and gradually as I went went into my 30s, I began to put on weight. Seven years later, I think I was about 146# maybe when I became pregnant with my 4th child. Again I gained 25-26# but after delivering him I didn't go right down because I never ever lost weight while breast feeding and I was still breast feeding when at 19 mo later I was again pregnant...so going into that pregnancy I was still on the heavy side..and ended that pregnancy about 174#. That was the beginning of my weight issue for real. Before that I never thought much about being overweight I was just glad I was no longer so skinny! That seems pretty dumb to me now as I was always very healthy when I was skinny. Well, thank God, I remained healthy even after gaining weight for a long time. I didn't start having health problems until I was past 60 in fact.
During that time I dieted a few times briefly and at 60 I was actually down to 145#. My doctor said I was fine, I had planned to keep going to 140 but when he said that I went back to my bad habits and gained weight and since then have only lost once down to 151# with Medifast, but got sick of the food and up my weight went again. I stayed mostly around 160# for years just bobbing up and down a few pounds...until last year when I was put on Amaryl and gained 10# in 2 weeks. Now I've doubled the dosage and have gained 2#...not sure the 2# was the drug but I do believe the drug is keeping me from being able to drop down now. I believe I can still lose but I have to eat much less and am struggling with that still. I do fine for a while but then I have a day when I'm not on my usual schedule and I hungry and grab whatever is near. Then as my bs is high I begin to feel starved (carb hunger)...I do try and get protein and fiber with my carbs ...but at times I can't and it becomes a vicious cycle...at least now I understand what is happening. I have to allow myself to be hungry and stick to my balanced diet getting the protein and fiber I need along with the low/slower acting carbs.
Sounds so simple.

The TV repairman came yesterday...Halo loved him and wanted to follow him around all the time even though he really didn't encourage her at all. Finally I was able to get her to lie down so he could work. He said what happened to our TV is something he hardly ever sees. So we now have HD TV again...to tell you the truth I can't really tell much if any difference. We could have paid the $200 for nothing as far as I can tell just looking at the picture, but I know we can connect by HDMI which we couldn't before.

Glynne - GFY getting things done in advance. I don't do much of that as I'm afraid I will overcook them when I heat them up, but I know my dd precooks some of her dishes when we eat there and they are fine. In our case though we don't roast veggies much as dh prefers stir-fries...so mostly I chop right before I add them in..I have occasionally sliced the veggies and meat ahead of time, but usually, I start the rice first, and while it is cooking (rice cooker), I slice the meat and veggies and when it clicks off I start stir-frying. So I have my own system. Whatever works I say. The quinoa and apples sounds good, I haven't tasted quinoa but have heard good things about it. I love oatmeal with apples in it. I tried to find the book your diet is based on but couldn't, but I know I had it and think I still do somewhere unless it got given away when I decluttered. I'll keep looking. I'm sure it would be a good way for me to eat if I could do it and could do it so dh would do it too. I refuse to fix two different meals.

Tonight's dinner was good...I made a beef stir-fry with lots of veggies...onions, garlic (those two are routine!) red and yellow peppers and mushrooms. So easy and very tasty. I could do without the sauce but dh cannot and tonight I did enjoy it. I had a small helping and ate about 1/3 cup rice with it. Our poor son is on vacation to hunt this week but still got called in to work tonight. I has been pouring all day and I sure hated him to have to go. He left him some to eat later.

Karrine - How the computer now? Sorry about the ticket...it actually might be lowered if you go to court. Depends on how far and how much trouble it is for you I guess.

Hi Sandy - How are you doing?

The Slim Me - I seemed to remember you from a few years back...am I right? Welcome! How are you doing? Look forward to hearing more from you.

Last edited by maryea; 12-08-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #293  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Long time no post!

Sorry for being mia. Have been going to a new health doctor - no meds, just diet & vitamins & herbs & meditation. Feeling a lot better. Not gaining, but not losing either. Will check back in here after the holidays when I will get serious again about losing weight.

Hope everyone is having a good December.

Take care,

Lynn
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #294  

Mary, our tree isn't up yet. Our living room is small so we normally don't put it up until the last week before Christmas. I was going to do it with my grandson last week but he didn't come. We have decorations outside, though.

I like eating all the vegetables from Joel Fuhrman's book but I can't/won't give up animal protein altogether, like he suggests. He said to use very small portions as condiments. DH would not do it either. In fact, I can't get him to eat a lot of the vegetables I eat. I like grilled fish, either Talapia or Salmon and DH doesn't like it, so sometimes when I want them I will grill a steak for DH. That's as close as I come to cooking 2 different meals. We share the rest of the meal, vegetables and potatoes or rice. If I didn't do that I would never get to eat what I like. It's not really a big bother to me because I'm used to it.

I like quinoa but I use more water than the box calls for and cook it a little longer.

Hi Lynn, good to see your here. You will have to tell us more about the new health doctor and how the supplements are helping you.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #295  

Carol Quinoa is higher in protein than oatmeal according to what I've read. What to you add to the water when you cook it?

With Pat going gluten free, our cooking has really changed. I miss the pasta dishes most. We use lots of rice and the Quinoa sounds like it would be a better substitute at times. I bought some and will try it.

With DH doing most of the cooking, I'm rather out of the loop. I miss some of the dishes I prepared often. One was the Carrot Salad that I love. When we had the Church Dinner after noon Mass Tuesday, I took a double receipe of the Carrot/Pineapple/Date salad in a pretty blue pottery dish. It disappeared so fast DH didn't get any. I'll take it again next month when they have the "Lunch Bunch" on the third Tuesday, again after Mass.

We've had lots of fish recently thanks to our Son sharing the fresh trout they caught in Virginia trip. So delicious. DH is good to serve Broccoli, Asparagus, lightly cooked green beans, or Korean Spinach with the meat or fish he fixes for Dinner.

I'm actually sick of all the sweets from the dinners, and the stuff we had here in the past month. Last night was a midnight snack of onion cheese as I tried to finish my schedules to e-mail to others regarding Christmas Even and Christmas Day people who take turns praying in the Prayer Chapel.

I usually do that for Thanksgiving but failed to do so last time and it was a real mess as some came and some didn't. to bed by 2:00 am and with short sleep, hard to stay awake.

Back to house cleaning and Laundry now that I'm actually home all day for a change.

Sandy
Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #296  

Our temperatures are going to be in the 66-68 degree range over the weekend. I hate to say I wonder when winter is going to get there because I'm sure it will arrive sooner instead of later
Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #297  

Finally getting here...it's been a busy day again and little time online. After doing my daily work I went shopping and purchased three gifts and three ornaments going to two stores to do it. Then stopped for a few groceries. When I got home, my son was fixing lumpia (a Filipino appetizer) and that's what we had for dinner. I also fixed rice but then forgot to serve it and dh didn't even ask for it...very strange.. He usually wants rice with lumpia and most everything. Anyway I have rice for tomorrow already prepared which is not a bad thing. Dh also made a rice cake which was so yummy! It was a smaller one and we ate it all! It was nice not to have to cook tonight.

I am also shopping online...and have dh's gift now. He usually waits til the last minute to get mine although I wish he wouldn't because I hate to have him go out into so much traffic.

Our temp was up to 51 today, rainy but not so heavy. There is flooding in parts of Portland and also in a couple towns about 30 min from us. Our son's gf lives in one and she is here tonight. The roads were closed to going back home but one lane is now open...of course that probably means a long line of traffic so she may just spend the night here. Her home is ok though, it is just up a hill from all the flooding. Landslides are a threat though. Thankfully my dd in Portland is high enough to not be flooded too. We are high enough too and have never had any problem with floods.

Carol Sue - Your temps sound like our weather last winter. Mostly it was more like spring...and even better, cause we got no rain! It was certainly nice for a change however we realize that living in the NW means we need to get enough rain too. As long as it doesn't snow I'm ok. I'm like you about the all vegetable diet...just can't do it. Have you tried Rock Fish? It's white and mild similar to Tilapia but I like it even better.

Lynn - Is this another new doctor or the same one? Glad you're feeling better.

Sandy - Sounds like you lead a healthy life..much better than I these days. I'm trying, but never seem to quite succeed as I'd like. Here's a posting from our foundational pastor who lost 50# a few years back and has kept it off. He's very into health and is such an inspiration. This post esp spoke to me.

You have BRAINS in your HEAD,
You have FEET in your SHOES,
You can STEER yourself
any DIRECTION you CHOOSE
Dr Seuss

Last edited by maryea; 12-10-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #298  

Wonderful outside while walking this afternoon!!! I agree to celebrate because we had snow this day last year. Our daughter who has returned home after decades in Oregon mountains is confused about weather here. She loves that she keeps getting in "one more hike" as weather has remained good for most days this fall.

Supper by DH was fresh trout, broccoli with toasted sesame seed oil, and green peas. Absolutely great. I ate and savored every bite. Still amazed that I'm not doing the cooking. He fixed french toast with healthy whole wheat bread this morning and honey. No wonder I can't get rid of this weight.

We get to stay home all day tomorrow. So glad.

Mary I shopped on line and am constantly amazed how simple it is. Your son's cooking is quite a treat!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #299  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

Sun is coming and going today. 73*

The other day, I got down into Onderland ~ for about 10 seconds ~ LOL. Back up a little the next day. Oh well, one day I'll get there.

Had a nice day yesterday. My last day of physical therapy. Hopefully, I won't fall back into my old habits and not keep up with the exercises I was taught. I don't want that the sciatic pain to get bad like it was before the therapy.

Went shopping and got some things for my mom for Christmas and ingredients for a macaroni salad for Jason. He has been asking me to make some ~ like I made when he was a kid. I didn't have a recipe, just put stuff in it that made it colorful. He says it had tuna in it ~ I thought it was spam. I found a recipe (that sounded similar) to help me with the amounts.

Had one of my klutz moves at the store. I went to sit down on a bench to try on a pair of shoes, and I guess I was preoccupied and when I sat, had misjudged the length of the bench and went down ~ not all the way ~ I was up against the shelf with my arm and side. Had a hard time getting out of that position. Kind of sore ~ now ~ thought I would have a big nasty bruise, but didn't.

In the evening, I went to a Christmas party with my former coworkers. It was fun to get to see them again. It was a small group ~ maybe a dozen people. I like that better than a large gathering. The young woman who hosted it is big into couponing ~ she has turned a spare bedroom into a storage area for the things she gets from the couponing. As we left, she took each one of us in there and filled up a gift bag with things ~ body wash, lotion, shampoo, laundry detergent ~ she said lets go shopping and let us pick a few things ~ what ever we needed. That was so sweet of her.

I did a little sewing today (machine). I guess that chair, or the position I hold my right leg in to press the pedal ~ aggravates that sciatic pain. It is hurting pretty bad now. Grrrrr. I'll have to try to think of a way to do it differently.

Almost time to get some of the supper made.

Hope you all have had a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 12-12-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #300  

Guess you're probably all busy with the season's activities. We babysat last night. They were good and we enjoyed them. Today I went shopping again, but didn't do as much as I was hoping...I picked up a couple gifts I had ordered and bought one gc's ornament and DVD for maybe watching on Christmas eve. Checked on cost of roast I want but it is just too much money at New Seasons, so now I'm considering Costco. But if Costco won't let me buy a small one it will be about the same. So not sure what I'll do. Can't remember what I did before last year when I reserved at New Season and just picked up. So easy!
Also haven't decided what to serve on Christmas eve yet. Just can't seem to get my mind to focus on it this year.

Glynne - You have done amazing on that diet, I'm proud of you cause I know I couldn't do it. And like you say, one day at a time. You know you can do it if you've come this far. Ouch that fall would have made me sore too, even if you didn't fall completely down. Glad you didn't! I got sore just from getting down on my knees and cleaning out some lower cupboards, where I had to stretch way back to reach things. Doesn't take much these days. The party sounds fun and that's a nice gift bag to take home! We missed a party the other day...I forgot why..LOL..think we were expecting a service man maybe.
Sorry to hear the sciatic pain has started up again. My pain seems to go in cycles but maybe it's something I do too, I don't know.

Last edited by maryea; 12-12-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Closed Thread