Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #331  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Carol Sue ~ you have shared that you eat lots of vegetables. Do you have problems with them giving you a lot of gas? I just wondered. When we first started this plant based diet, all the beans and various vegetables didn't bother too much. But here lately, my stomach sometimes feels like a boiling cauldron. Sometimes those roasted vegetables I make actually make me have stomach cramps. I feel bad because I like the things. I don't get why they weren't bothering me so much at first but are now. I have tried eating them earlier in the day, taking beano, Gas-X after. Sometimes nothing seems to help. Today, I googled how to cook foods so they didn't cause so much gas ~ the answer I got said ~ to solve the gas problem ~ don't eat foods that cause you gas. That wasn't helpful.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, this stove I have is the first one that's self-cleaning. It really needs to be cleaned but I'm afraid because of how high the heat goes, and DH doesn't want me to do it either. I know it's silly to feel that way because people do it all the time. I didn't especially want self-cleaning but I bought the floor display at a really good price so I took it.

One time years ago I went to bed and left the oven on. I always got up first for work and as soon as I entered the kitchen I felt the heat. I knew DH would have been really upset with me. I turned it off right away, then soaked a couple dish towels in cold water and laid them on top of the stove to cool it off. It worked. It was cooled off by the time he got up and he never knew.

Another time, we were going out to dinner. DH was in his car in the driveway waiting for me to come home from work. I parked in the driveway, locked the car and got into his car and away we went. We were gone about 2 hours altogether, and when we got home my car was running. I forgot to shut it off, but locked the keys in in. DH was so mad! It's a good thing I had a full tank of gas or it would have run out of gas, and it's even better that I left it in the driveway and didn't pull into the garage. We would have had a dead dog when we got home. DH always tells me that I'm getting Alzheimer's because I'm so absent minded sometimes, but here I was forgetting simple things years ago.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #333  

Gayle, I get gas, but I don't consider it excessive. DH might. LOL I don't eat a lot of beans, not every day, and I eat other things with them like meat and some starch, so that might make a difference. I have always read that if you start out eating these foods in small amounts and increase gradually the gas will not be as bad, plus once your body gets used to it, it won't be as bad. It doesn't seem right that they didn't bother you at first but bother you now. Are you eating more now than you did before? My friend was having a bad problem with gas. She went to a chiropractor who distributes supplements and he put her on some to help with the gas, but she also quit eating the things that caused it. I only remember one thing that he put her on and it was probiotics. I'm surprised that the Beano and GasX doesn't help you. I hope you get it worked out, especially the pain and cramping. Does DH ever mention having this problem?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #334  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

Not feeling so good today. Probably paying the price from not eating very good yesterday.

I wanted to try a new crocheting pattern, but guess I'm not in the right frame of mind to tackle that. Can't seem to get the hang of how to do it. Sigh.....

I should clean this family room, but don't feel like doing that either.

DH is here in the family room where I usually hang out. Watching a DVD with Maddie. He isn't always nice to me because I don't hear well. He has the sound up so loud, I think I may need to find someplace else to go. I think his hearing is even worse than mine, but he doesn't want to do anything (consider a hearing aid) about it.

Guess I probably shouldn't even post ~ kind of crabby. Sorry you guys.

Hope you all are having an ok day.

Last edited by glynne; 12-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #335  

Height: 5'3"

Taking a break in a busy day. I'm baking my homemade Christmas bread. I hope it turns out good. Yesterday I made it but only put 1 pkt yeast in it instead of two. It's ok, but didn't rise as well. I'm about ready to put these two loaves in the oven. While it was rising I went to one store...need to do more but didn't have time, so just got a few groceries. Now I'm cleaning bedroom and doing some decluttering. So glad I did because it's been making it difficult to walk around the bed as something under the bed would stick out and we'd stub our toes on it! I emptied out some sweat shirts and am giving them away as I never wear them. I like them and are part of memories of places we've gone but I don't have the room to hang onto everything. I can't wear sweat shirts because of my hot flashes, too hard to take off all the time and esp in public. I need things I can just slip in and out of easily. I can now wear thin long sleeved shirts at least. Thought I never would again. Also took out two suitcases (carry on types) and they will go to the attic til needed again. So now we should be able to walk around our bed safely. Also did a little cleaning in the main bathroom, but not much more than usual daily tasks.

Carol Sue - I love having a self-cleaning oven. This is my second I think. It isn't perfect and I do have to wipe it out well afterwards but it does save time and getting down and up or even being on my knees isn't so easy anymore so the less time the better. I think we have all left the stoves on at some point probably, I know I have. Once I even forgot to turn the burner off after making a grilled sandwich, and there was a plastic pepper shaker nearby. I was at my computer and suddenly smelled smoke...walked back to the kitchen and was shocked to find that whole part of the house filled with smoke! Then looked at the stove and the shaker was burned badly ..beyond use and the stove was black (I have a white flat top). I'm really surprised the smoke detector didn't go off...it usually goes off very easy and several times with just a little smoke (like from a dirty oven), the security service calls. It probably would have soon. I got the windows/doors open and range fan on quickly before our security people called. Joe replaced the battery in the smoke detector yesterday as he thinks that might be why it's been going off so quickly now. This episode was a few years back.

I had to laugh at your car story as the very same thing happened to our son a few nights ago except it was parked outside a restaurant! We were going there to eat and he wasn't home yet but was joining us there. He gets there and we have dinner and are about to leave when he can't find his keys. I go out and look in the parking lot while he searches all his pockets. When dh and I get to the car we realize his key is in the car and notice the light on too. Our son suddenly realizes he not only left his keys in the car but he also left the car running! Dh and I couldn't hear it it was so soft. So it's been continuing to run about an hour. We drove home and got his spare key he'd left for us and brought it to him so he could drive home.

Glynne - Sorry you are not feeling so well. I have eaten terrible today! Even stopped at Sherry's for a piece of pecan pie. I'm the only one who would eat it and wanted one piece for Christmas.

Last edited by maryea; 12-21-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #336  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
I'm off early tomorrow morning to go up north to my daughter's place for Christmas. Sorry but I'm too busy today to do personals gettings things ready and running last minute errands for groceries; Cdn. Tire and Shoppers.

I WISH EVERYONE A VERY WONDERFUL BLESSED CHRISTMAS!!!

Karrine
Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #337  

Mary, when my step-daughter still lived here, she went into a nearby store on a hot day and wanted to leave her car running so it didn't get hot. She didn't think about the fact that she was locking the keys in the car until she came out. She called us and DH ran up with her extra keys.

Gayle, I'm sorry so many things are getting you down. I know I am hard of hearing. I would willingly wear a hearing aid but don't want to pay the cost. DH gets mad when he says I have the TV turned up too loud, but I think his hearing is bad, too, because everything I say to him he says "What?" But he says his hearing is perfect. Usually when people are hard of hearing they talk loud to compensate, but DH tells me I talk to softly. No one else had a problem hearing me.

Karrine, I hope you have a nice holiday with your family.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #338  

An easier day today but still wore out because I shopped for groceries and other things at Walmart...gosh, that's a big store. I'm used to everything I want in a grocery store being in the grocery store...at Walmart I have to get groceries in the grocery dept, go to a different dept for household things, or pharmacy/personal care etc. I appreciate that it's a one-stop shopping but that's a lot of walking esp when I got to one end of the store for somethings, forget something after I get back to the other end and have to do the trip again! Going to have to be more efficient next time. Funny thing is after seeing what they had I ended up not buying either of the items I did all that walk (and pushing cart) for! I got Halo a little squeak toy for Christmas. Won't she be surprised to have another "bunny." That's what she calls all her toys.

Still waiting on one gift supposed to come tomorrow and I'll be done with gifts. I got some more candy canes for the tree as some have already been eaten by the gc. These are cinnamon..yum...I like them! Found out my dd is bringing homemade bread so I don't have to bake anymore. Yea!! So tomorrow I will focus on baking cookies I guess. I also went through my scarves and gloves and got rid of two unmatched gloves. Quickly went through my jewelry too but couldn't get myself to get rid of any. I should as there is plenty I don't wear.

Only two more nights with my son living here. It's not easy to see him move out but telling myself he'll only be 30 min away. He will be leaving a lot of stuff here though because the house is very small so I'm sure he'll be back now and then to get something he needs. Today was the day to clean his room, change his sheets etc. He has never wanted me to do it but I still do. Thought about not changing the sheets but it's been over two weeks (he's not home on the weekends and sometimes more so I changed to every two weeks) and I want him to remember having nice clean sheets here at mom's house so I did change them. I told him that and he said you're so silly. Gosh I'm going to miss him!

Gayle, our TV is always so loud. I tell dh it's going to make me deaf too..and I think it is. He has ordered some TV ears and I sure hope they help him. I feel sorry for him because he has gotten so hard of hearing and it is very difficult to have a conversation with him esp when he removes his hearing aides. I think he gets tired of having them in his ears and I think I would hate that too. I told him I wish I could give him two good functioning ears for Christmas!!

Sandy - You must be busy...missing you.

Last edited by maryea; 12-22-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #339  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It was a better day today ~ sorry for sharing about being blue the other day. I think I also was feeling like I was coming down with a cold ~ sorish throat, sneezing ~ just not feeling very good (besides what I did to myself with my bad eating). Hope I didn't bring everyone down.

A better day today, but a little sadness mixed in. Last night after Sara took Maddie home, she (Sara) showed up at our door. You could see that she was teary eyed. She is behind on her Christmas stuff and the kids don't seem interested in helping with that, and she's sad about other stuff going on in her life. It makes me sad for her ~ all I had was a hug (and prayers). Wish I could make it all better.

The other sad was finding out for sure (we thought it was probably gonna turn out that way, but weren't gonna give up hope until we were told for sure) that the new insurance we will have after the first of the year does not include my Rheumatologist. It is frustrating ~ having to start all over again with new doctors. These doctors were familiar with us. We had to find new PCP, now the rheumatologist, Steve's cardiologist. My diabetes doctor had already turned her patients over to other doctors ~ that wasn't insurance related ~ no reason was given for why she left. Even the hospital we were able to go to has changed, as well as the place I was doing physical therapy. Very frustrating and sad because I liked my doctors/care providers.

After the doctor appointment we went out to lunch at a place we like ~ Sweet Tomatoes. It has soups and a salad bar and other things. Maddie likes the baked potato bar. Then back home. Maddie decided she needed a nap ~ so we both went and layed down on my bed ~ there was no napping, lots of conversation and silliness. Conversations with Maddie are always interesting. We had a lot of laughter throughout the afternoon. A good dose of that helped.

Waiting for Sara to give me the go ahead on wrapping Christmas stuff. I am her wrapper. She has bought some stuff, but hasn't decided if she will keep some of the things.

Sorry no personals tonight. Getting late ~ Maddie comes again tomorrow ~ maybe not as early as on other days. I have some things I need to get done before she comes over, so I'd better quit fooling around and get to bed.

Hope you all rest well.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #340  

Gayle, I feel sorry for Sara, too, that she is in a sad place right now. I think she needs to make a decision about her ex, and that won't be easy. She is in my prayers, as are you for your sadness, too.

I too would hate to have to change doctors. I'm keeping the same insurance for next year and it seems to have remained the same. My cardiologist office has become part of the hospital system and they are making changes I don't like. They have me seeing a PA instead of the cardiologist I've been with for 8 years. If I have to change doctors, I want to be able to choose, not just take who they push me on. I also don't care for the PA and am uncomfortable in his presence. I don't think feeling that way is good for your health. If I change doctors, I will have to change hospitals too, because it seems that all the cardiologists in our county are joining up with the hospital system. It's possible that this is the new trend, to have the PAs see the patients and have to cardiologist supervising behind the scenes and I might run into that no matter where I go. Maybe I would feel better about it if it was someone I was comfortable with. His guy gives me the creeps.

Mary, I remember when your son came back to live with you, bringing Halo with him. It was a big change for you and Joe, and now you are going through another change with him moving out. I'm sure it has been a comfort to you having him there and it doesn't seem that he was much bother since he's away so often.

I had my lab work done yesterday and will make an appointment with my PCP to discuss the results after Jan 1. My copay goes down to $0 then. He will probably increase my glimiperide as I know my A1c will be up. The past 2 days I have had a BS reading over 300. Yikes!! I know that I'm eating some things I can't have like bread, potatoes and rice, but I keep thinking "Just this one time." I need to get it through my head how important this is. I can't be playing games with this anymore.

I only had 2 gifts coming and they have both arrived. I ordered a new cover for my Nook on December 2. They sent me an email saying it has shipped but the estimated date of arrival is Jan 16. LOL They must be delivering it on foot! DH says they give you these estimated dates to make sure they have plenty of time to get it to you but that one is rediculous!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #341  

Baking cookies today. I have the Snickerdoodles, my son't favorite done and stored until tomorrow night. Now I'm starting the Chocolate Crinkles, my favorite. I had two extra Snickerdoodles (over what pkg said) so dh and I ate them. I decided not to freeze cookies again this year since I am baking them close Christmas Eve. I put a little chunk of apple in with them as that tends to keep them moist. I was reading some people say the cookies soak up the flavor of the apple but I haven't noticed that. I don't put it directly on the cookies. I usually layer the cookies with wax paper and I put the apple pc on the sides of the wax paper. I've read some people use bread but I've never tried that. I just remembered I planned to make Sugar cookies too as I have leftover frosting. I may still get to them.

Not doing well on my eating plan these days...feel like giving up until after the holidays. So far I'm sorta on track but usually I get off eventually. I say sorta because I had to estimate the nutrition and suspect I cheated a little. You may laugh at what I call "on-track" but it worked ok with the program. See below:
breakfast
2 very small slices of homemade bread...this is the loaf that didn't rise well so more like 1 regular slice of normal bread.
2 t. Smart Balance
1 cup NF milk

AM Snack
1 Snickerdoodle cookie
1 cup milk

Last night I was going to have leftover night but dh didn't like the leftovers so he picked up some Chinese instead. I wasn't very hungry so only ate a little.

I haven't done much housework yet...only some daily stuff. Still need to mop the main bathroom floor and do a little decluttering in my closet and the living room. Shouldn't be much in the living room, more like just picking up son's things he may have left out. Trying to decide whether to get rid of my last heels...I know I'll never wear them, just keeping them for reminders that I once wore heels I guess. These are block heels, not very high and I did like them. They still look new as I didn't wear them often. I'm sure someone else would enjoy them, and with my bunions now I doubt they'd be comfortable for me. The last time I cleaned my closet I tried them on, and I could get them on and they didn't hurt, just snug but I'm fairly sure if I walked a while in them, I'd be hurting.

Well tonight is the last night (as far as I know) that our son will be sleeping in our house as in living here. I don't think he's packed yet though so who knows. I plan to fix an Amish Casserole he likes and hope to spend a little time with him and we have a special gift to give him. Special to us anyway, he doesn't know about it. Will see how it goes. He does plan to join us here for Christmas Day dinner.

Gayle -I too hate changing doctors and hope I don't have to do it again. That's a lot of upheaval for you with your doctors and the insurance issue too. I can understand that would be very difficult. Glad you had some good times with Maddie.

Carol Sue - Perhaps the delayed date for the Nook is because of Christmas. I'm still waiting on one package. Dh is also expecting his TV Ears as I got notice they will be here to day too. We got two packages already today but not we were expecting.

Here's another tip for keeping cookies moist that was new to me: take an aluminum tea ball and place a cotton ball that is slightly dampened with water inside it. Close the tea ball and drop it inside the cookie jar. Add more water to the cotton ball every now and then. Dry cookies can also be softened this way.

Last edited by maryea; 12-23-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #342  

Height: 5' 2"

What is it about this season that makes self discipline seem way harder than normal????

Carol Sue, scary that your blood sugar has gone so high.

Mary Snickerdoodle cookie has to be one of the most flavorful.

Gayle, Sweet Tomatoes sounds like a place we would enjoy. I love good soups and prefer that to sandwich any day.

Temperatures hit 70 today and our daughter is out walking with a friend to see Christmas lights all over everyone except our house.

Neat tip on keeping cookies moist.

Our daughter cleaned the wood floor really well in front room, hallway and her bedroom. What an improvement!!!

Dentist today missed numbing the area that was critical to drill and fill small cavity. Thank goodness it was a very small one, because it really was painful. First time I've had that happen. OUCH'
Old 12-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #343  

My husband's family has always had a Slovak dish, Bobalky, on Christmas. After my mother-in-law passed away I started making it. I use frozen bread dough and form it into 1 inch balls and bake it. Let it sit out to dry out. Then you saute some onions in butter, add a can of saurkraut and saute. Put the balls of dough into a colander and pour boiling water over them, just to moisten. Then put in a big bowl and combine with the saurkraut and onion mixture. It can also be made into a sweet dish, instead of sauerkraut you mix it with poppyseed filling. I forgot it this year. I didn't realize it until today. There's a supermarket in our area that sells the bread balls in their bakery so I bought them there. They were 11.99 per pound! I have always made them myself and never bought them before. I was surprised at how much they were! My family would have missed it if I didn't have it.

Mary, I never heard any of those tips to keep cookies fresh, but I have always put mine in the freezer when I baked for a special occasion. I don't do that when I bake for day to day, but then they don't last long enough to get stale. Good ideas though. I put a small piece of bread in my brown sugar and it keeps it from getting hard.

I still have a couple pair of heels but I haven't worn them in ages. Some of my boots have a small heel on them.

Sandy, DH and I have a tradition that on Christmas Eve we take a ride around the neighborhood and look at everyone's lights. We missed one year. We always spend Christmas Eve just the two of us.

Hope you feel OK after the painful dentist visit.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-23-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #344  

Resting a bit before I have make my taco casserole. I am going to get it all ready and then bake it for a few minutes after Christmas Eve service. So here's tonight's menu for 7 (but 4 more may come) includes children.
Taco Casserole
Extra chips (2 different kinds)
Mexican sour cream (tried for first time, yummy, tastes like a dip!)
Veggie tray
Sausage slices
cheese slices (2 kinds)
Cookies
Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper, and Raspberry tea

Tomorrow's dinner (for 15 people incl children)
Beef Roast
Turkey roast
Lumpia (son is bringing)
Mashed potatoes and gravy (dil's making her special potatoes)
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts (I steam until almost done, then quickly saute in butter)
Sweet potato souffle
Homemade bread (daughter is bringing although I have a little too)
Apple Pie
Candy and cookies (whatever is left)
Same drinks and some may bring beer or wine.

I have the table leaf in and table set for tonight. So when I come home from church, I won't have much to do. I ended up making sugar cookies too and got dh to decorate them. He doesn't usually do that.

Carol your Bobalky sounds good, I like sauerkraut. It makes me think of those rolls ...can't remember the name...they are german (I think) and are bread dough filled with meat and sauerkraut and baked...they are so good too! Oh, wish I could think of the name. I used to make them now and then.

Last edited by maryea; 12-24-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #345  

Mary, I am English and German on my mother's side but she never cooked much German food. I googled and found something that might be what you're talking about. Sounds good.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/o508h8tp...ks-german.html

I was busy all day. I waited til this morning to clean my kitchen because it was a waste of time with all the baking I've been doing. Flour in every nook and cranny. I can't remember when my kitchen looked so nice. LOL Now I am going to do some prep work for tomorrow. Chop some veggies, etc. Maybe make my cheese ball. There's not a lot of room in the refrigerator with both a turkey and ham in there so it's hard to make things ahead. When I was cleaning the stove I broke one of the knobs. It is the one that turns on the bottom oven, which I never use anyway. The inside of the knob is plastic and that's what broke. I hope I can get a replacement at the appliance parts store in town. If not, I told DH I will have to get a new stove! LOL

Your menus for both meals sound good. I hope you have a nice holiday with your family.
Closed Thread