Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun, I have no room to talk because I am gaining rather than losing, but when you posted your menu on the 7th, I noticed that you did not list any vegetables other than the lettuce and tomato on your sandwich and the onions with your crawfish boil. Filling up on free veggies would help keep your portions down on the other foods. But Dukan might be better for you. Maybe you need to really ditch the carbs to lose, like I do.

Lucinda, you gave me a great idea! I bought a canister of Whey Protein Powder and after a couple shakes I decided that I don't like shakes. Lately I've been using some flavored creamers in my coffee....I'm going to try using the protein powder! It's flavored, and will add some needed protein. I hate to have it sitting there going to waste. I might also give the shakes another try.

Mary, I never liked radishes before, but recently DH started slicing them very thin on the mandolin and it makes them very tasty. I do that now to add them to my salads.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Carol sue. Sometimes I don't have time to prepare vegetables or have raw vegetables on hand. Im the type of person that it's all or none. I do better when I cut the carbs completely. I love meat so Dukan worked before so I'm gonna give it a try again. The last time I did Dukan I never felt better. I think carbs make me feel sluggish. We will see.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Good morning all!
Well, I had a pretty good week. I lost 1.6 lbs this week. I started back walking last week after having bronchitis for 3 weeks, I was glad to be over that. I get up early in the morning before I go to work and walk 3 miles. This morning, I did my slow jog for about 1 1/2 miles of the 3 miles, so I felt good about that.
I work alot. I'm a Director on Nursing during the week and then work part time most weekend on the psychiatric floors at a hospital in the area for 12 hour shifts about 6 of the 8 weekend days.
I'm getting excited, me, my sister and her 8 year old daughter and my two 15 year old daughters are all flying to Pennsylvania on Saturday. I have family there and we are going to drive over to New York city and go to Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty and other attractions one day, then we are going to Dorney Park one day for the girls and then who knows. I'll just be happy to be on vacation and away from work.
I was really happy on Friday, when I was walking, my pants were falling down while I walked, so I went out and was able to buy some size 16W pants!!! Yea, can't remember the last time I was in this size, had to be over 8 years ago.
I just keep eating most just different fruit during the day, cantelope, peaches, watermelon, pineapple, whatever is handy 3-4 servings, then when I get home, I get a snack of yogurt/blueberries while I fix dinner and then I eat a light portion of whatever I am cooking. So far it is working.
I don't deprive myself. If I want something I eat it, just a smaller portion. So far I am not binging or going crazy. It's kinda like intuitive eating, I don't eat unless, I'm hungry and that took awhile to learn and I try to listen to my body and stop eating when I am full. I like that there is nothing off limits on my diet.
I love hearing what everyone has to say. I've got to try some spaghetti squash, when I made spaghetti last week for the girls, I just ate some of the sauce and a salad, but no pasta.
I also seem to be more willing to try things.
Everyone have a great day and keep up the work! We cannot fail unless we give up!!!

Last edited by exquisitern; 06-09-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

exquisitern: Spaghetti squash is amazing with pasta sauce on it! we also like it hot, room temp, or cold with Caesar or Greek style salad dressing on it. As a 'salad' it's better if slightly undercooked for a bit of crunchy bite to the 'noodle'. Even my husband likes it, and he doesn't like other kinds of squash - they are too sweet tasting for him.
Liana
Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #95  

Hi everyone.. raining today and we sure need it. I forgot to post yesterday, after church we had company and then I got to puttering in the craft room.
I have a spaghetti squash but how do you cook it ? I have been wanting to try it. Hope your day goes well ttfn rosey

yesterdays menu
breakfast coffee
lunch spam salad sandwhich,grapes iced tea
snack blended coffee mocha small amount of pringles
dinner grilled steak green salad
Old 06-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #96  

Rosey I cut the squash is half long ways and dig out the strings and seeds similar to a cantaloupe. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size. Take a fork and scrape opposite the grain. Looks like spagetti. I like mine a little on the crunchy side rather than really soft. It's really good and filling. The best part is it's a vegetable!!!

Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #97  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone!! It's a good day even though it's overcast...sun trying to peek through. Dh had a doctors appt this morning and since then has been changing the oil in car, then puttering around in the garage. I've been doing laundry and daily housework. This afternoon I will be doing some extra cleaning in the kitchen ..up high stuff that doesn't get done often. Also trying to plan our next trip...not much success as can't get through.

My bs are a little better so far today although still high. Almost diabetic normal after breakfast.

My eating so far
breakfast
PB mocha frappe made with almond milk and added fiber

am snack
5 large radishes

I'm back!
lunch
Bacon sandwich with pickle slices
radish
cantaloupe
4 small pcs chocolate candy

Exquisitrn - Like how you are eating. I love fruit and hate that I have to be restricted with it. Knowing when you are full and stopping is so important and even after years of trying, I still haven't got the hang of it or more likely the discipline of it. I admire those who do. I also agree with not depriving oneself because that never has worked for me. The more I feel deprived the more I eat! I also can't stand eating "diet" type foods. I eat what I like mostly in small portions. My problem is in the evening...I do tend to overeat then...that has always been my struggle. I think it would be better for me to just not eat in the evenings and I've done that for a while (like a week!) but I tend to go back to it. So you were a DNS...that's cool..I was an RN...there are several former nurses on this forum. I used to have a friend who loved working in a psych hospital. I'm not sure I would but I did very well in those classes in training as it was so interesting.

Wannabe - I love radishes! I eat them plain...they help me a lot between meals, I used to love them sliced on bread and butter but of course I can't eat that much now, but I still do now and then only I use Smart Balance now.
Love them in salads!

Cajun - Sorry The One is not working for you. I like it but as long as I overeat in the evenings, I don't lose and I have been gaining rapidly! I was losing when I didn't eat in the evenings but can't seem to get back to it. Now I just do a flexible version where I try to keep to the 1-1-1 concept but I also am eating more like I did when I was younger and skinny. I thought it was 1-1-1 but I realize now it was not exactly. So sometimes I am having more than one carb, but keeping to only 1-2 is best for my diabetes. Still struggle with the evenings though. I don't think I can ever lose weight until I get past that or just eat veggies in evening. I said when I started The One plan that regardless if it didn't work or not, I am not doing another "diet." I will just eat what I want of mostly healthy food and try to eat smaller portions. And I still am sticking to that. I also notice that when I don't allow myself to get off my "schedule" in my personal routine, and keep my priorities in life....God, dh, family first, I do much better. Now and then I let the internet, tv or laziness take up too much of my time and I start eating more.

You all have a good day!!

Last edited by maryea; 06-09-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #98  

todays foods

Breakfast
coffee
blueberry muffin

lunch
diet ranch chix pizza
iced tea

snack
coffee mocha blended

dinner
slice roast turkey
1/2 c mashed potatoes,sm amount gravy
1/2 c mixed cooked vegies

snack
sf mixed berry ice cream bar
Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
I have a spaghetti squash but how do you cook it ? I have been wanting to try it. Hope your day goes well ttfn rosey
I just stab mine with a big knife several times (get through the tougher skin) after washing it (so that no molds or dirt get inside when you stab) and stick it in the microwave for 6-15 minutes (depending on the size and age of the squash).
Then it's very easy to cut open lengthways and scoop out the seeds (you can dry them & roast them in the oven like pumpkin seeds if you wish, too). After you get the seeds and strings out, just treat it like pulled pork - pulling the fork tines through it to loosen the 'noodles' and scoop it out with a spoon onto your plate & top with pasta /meat sauce, or into a bowl and toss with choice of Caesar or Greek salad dressing.

Liana
Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #100  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning girls, It's so nice to see all the menus. I won't be posting mine this week, my brother and SIL are moving out of their large home into a condo with no basement.

I thought I had a lot of "stuff" when we moved. She has tons and tons of "stuff". I told DH last night if they got rid of 1/2 their house hold, they might squeeze into the condo. So I've been helping her pack, how do we accumulate all that? You gals that have lived in your home for many years probably don't realize how much you have.

My SIL had all kinds of sweets and muffins made. I didn't eat any of it. Then her SIL showed up with some kind of cubed cinnamon rolls from one of the fast food places. She purchased 6 of them and started eating right away. My Sil opened one box and started eating hers until the sight and smell got to me. They smelled heavenly. I said, how many calories in them? ( I was thinking one little ole cinnamon roll can't hurt). Oh, am I glad they have the calories on each package, one little box had 460 calories.

I hope all this lifting and packing jump starts my 1-1-1.
Cajun, sorry it didn't work for you. I've not heard of the Dukan plan, I'm a big meat eater too.

Glynne...sorry I took so long to answer your questions but I've been too busy to check into our thread.
I don't suppose you need to put frozen fruit in but I think a plain almond milk soft serve would be boring. The trick to soft serve fake ice cream is most everything HAS TO BE FROZEN or you get a shake.
As to the bacon, yes you can fry/microwave bacon and it freezes very nicely. I take one strip of frozen bacon out of freezer, zap it for 30 seconds and add to my Flat Out roll up.
Quote:
Bobbi ~ Another question about the soft serve almond milk stuff ~ do you have to use some sort of frozen fruit? or can you just use the frozen almond milk, a little liquid almond milk and maybe some vanilla?

And another question I meant to ask before but forgot what it was before I could ask Do I remember reading somewhere that you said you fry up bacon and then freeze it already cooked for later use? Do you just thaw it out and then crumble it up?
Gotta run, later gators.

P.S. Lynn...hope WW is working for you. You can do it, I know because you did it before.

Hi everyone else, will do personals when I have the time.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #101  

Good morning girls. It is storming here this morning. We are catching a lot of rain again. The farmers have planted 2 and 3 times already. Looks like they will be losing those soybeans again.
There was a young dog about 6 months old that someone dumped in my front yard. I told ds to take it to the pound. Instead he goes to the barn and got food to feed it. The best we could tell it was a yellow lab and curr mixed. He played with her and she would retrieve. He put her in the pen and kept playing with her. She didn't even have a name. He just called her lil girl. One day he took her hunting and that was it she was on every hunt with him. She retrieved everything he hunted. Ducks doves squirrel coon. She even found him a bid snapper turtle. He took her dove hunting last fall along with 2 other guys. They were spread out and shooting doves. She would retrieve the birds and bring them back to ds. When they were not getting any birds she would go to those other 2 guys pile of doves and get them and bring them to ds's pile. When they finished hunting ds had a huge pile of doves and the other 2 guys didn't have anymore left. They sure had a good laugh. She was so loyal to him. When he sat down she couldn't get close enough to him. She was a 50 lbs dog and would jump on his lap and lay her head on his shoulder. She could never get close enough to him. Thursday she fell sick. Dh brought her to the vet and they told us stage 1 heart worms. We started treating her Friday. Yesterday after work I went to check on her and she was dead. The symptoms she had told us stage 4 but that's not what the vet told us. He just wanted 300.00 to start treatment. He knew better. Yea I'm upset. I don't see ds cry but he lost a loyal friend and is heartbroken. I had a lab right before I got married and lost her and I said I would never get close to an animal again and I did it again. We all fell in love with her. Dh got the tractor and buried her behind ds house.
Sorry I know post is long. I'm just a lil sad this morning. The hardest thing is seeing your children hurting. As a mother it hard to see.
Yesterday I started Dukan diet and did well. It feels more comfortable to me. I lost a lot of lbs before and hopefully it will work for me again.

Bobbi the Dukan diet is high protein low fat sugar carb diet. Mostly meats and vegetables.

Liana thanks for the extra tips on the spaghetti squash. I bet it would be good with a cheeses sauce like a macaroni and cheese.

Mary I just think the allowed carbs were making me want more and I was eating the max allowed and only maintaining. Where are you thinking of going on your trip?

Exquisitern congrats on your pants falling down. Be careful that you don't have a accident and show your booty walking/jogging. Better get suspenders!!!!

Hi Carol Sue, Rosey, K31, K3, Lynn, Gayle.

Laundry is ready to be switched. Gotta go.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Good afternoon everyone! Well, it continues to rain off and on, but I got my 3 miles in this morning after I came back from taking the girls to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get them ID's before we fly out on Saturday morning. I was able to do my slow scary jog for about 1 1/2 miles. It is so slow and scary, but it gets my heart rate up and I start sweating like a pig.

Liana: I'm going to have to buy some spaghetti squash to try. I think I will like it. I like the idea of it baked better than microwaved, but I'm sure both would be fine.
Maryea: Thanks for the support. Part of the reason that I do fruit in the more and then a meal at night is so that I'm not so hungry at night, but I have yogurt/blueberries, baked pretzels available to snack on. Part of what saves me is I live in a two story house and my bedroom is upstairs and I'm usually too lazy to go back downstairs to get a snack, so when I go to bed I usually only take a diet coke and maybe some yogurt, no sugar/no fat pudding or jello or a large pretzel.
Bobbi: I feel for you having to help someone move. That aught to give you a lot of exercise for the day. I had to move last year after living in my house for over 17 years and it was crazy. I threw out a lot of junk. Sorry they have all that junk food around you, that would be hard for me too!
Cajun: That is so sad about your dh lab, I had a lab for 10 years, his name was Buck and he was the best dog I ever had. He died in his sleep one night and I cried and cried. I am such a sucker for animals. They have such undying loyalty! I was thinking of getting a belt when they were falling down!! I wouldn't want to scare the other walkers/joggers! LOL

Everyone have a great day and stay on target!!

Donna RN
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #103  
Jacksonville, FL

Oh Cajun....I'm such a pet person, so sorry, in the south it is hard even with the flea, tick and heart worm meds to keep them OK....I would like to know which meds she was on so I could avoid it. My Meggie is on revolution and it has kept the flea and ticks away and its supposed to stop heartworm as well.

Die twist I am holdin my own at 162...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #104  

So sorry about your loss, Cajun. It's always difficult because we outlive multiple pets, and we are so close to them - they are family. We've had a standard poodle/cocker cross, then a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and took care of my brother's Husky while they were buying a house (living in an apartment).

Baked spaghetti squash is a bit different from other squashes, it doesn't get creamy or sweet, it is hard to explain because it is really like no other kind of squash, even summer squashes like zucchini. It still stays in shreds or 'noodles.' I like using the microwave because it doesn't take the squash so long to cook and heat up the house on a hot summer night. Quick & easy dinner, lol.

Bobbi: what ever happened to pizza & beer when you helped someone move, doesn't anyone do that anymore??

Liana
Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun, I am so sorry to her about the loss of your pet. That's so sad. Give DS a hug from me, he must be hurting so much. Or maybe he isn't into Mama hugging him now that he's grown up!

Liana, I tried spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and didn't like it much, but I cook it and mix it with a butter sauce and onion. I like it like that, but DH doesn't eat squash, except zucchini cake or fried zucchini.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Closed Thread