Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #286  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Tera, cool idea to look at the junk food calories. I don't even want to imagine what mine are. Perhaps I need to seriously consider that. But at 1700 cals, only 170 cals being junk would be hard. Although I can rationalize anything. The mochas are 180 cals but they're made with skim milk and SF chocolates. To ben honest, just doing the math in my head, I'm over your 32% if that makes you feel any better.

I didn't elliptical yet. I HATE after work exercise. But I have ramped up the doggie hike. We are fast walking. I mean really fast. The pups are trotting not strolling. I come back winded and tired so that has to be doing something. I am going to figure out how to motivate myself for after work ellipticalling. I bought a coffee press I'm bringing to work so I can make an afternoon mocha at work and have it much earlier than 5:00. So then when I get home, I'll be finished with the mocha and be able to elliptical. Now it might not seem like the two go together, but a mocha right before exercising doesn't work for me (think bowing to the porcelain gods). And if I exercise before the mocha, then I'm having it too late and I'm up all night needing the restroom. So they really do go together. So make the mocha at work (a good afternoon snack that might keep the cabinet raiding down when I do get home since I've been hungry after work) and then I elliptical. The press arrives on Saturday so I'm going to try my idea on Monday.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #287  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

cals-2380 (580), ex-long walk, body sculpt at the Y. F&V: grapefruit, blueberries, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion. I can see where my problem is here-the 580! Well, at least I enjoyed it.

Marie- The elliptical will wait for you, no problem there. Good for you for increasing the intensity of the dog walks. Kudos on the coffee plans also. That should put you in the proper mood for a snack free transition from work to home.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #288  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

I'm sorry I haven't been here ~ I tend not to come around when I am not doing well ~ which is exactly the time I probably should be here the most. I could at least be here and be supportive of you all.

Struggling with the up and down the same few pounds. Frustrated with myself because I get to the lowest I have been in a while, then eat something I would have been better off not to have and zoom ~ the weight is right back up. How come it goes on so quick, but takes several days to come back off?????? It's my own fault. Oh well.

I haven't been doing the exercise either. Consistency and self discipline has never been my strong point ~ probably a lot to do with why I am in the mess I am in.

The bicycle riding in the afternoons kind of fell through. It was getting too hot and the park Maddie likes to go to (because she meets up with a little friend there) has no bathroom. I am thinking maybe I will go do water walking in the pool at the "Y" late mornings ~ or if it is chilly like it was this morning ~ ride my bike.

Marie and Tera ~ you guys sound like you are doing pretty well. Keep up the good work.

Tomorrow is another day for me to try and get it right.

Have a good rest.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #289  

cals yest-2345 (680), ex-hike up Kennesaw Mtn. F&V: carrot, cabbage, blueberries. I had such a wonderful time on my hike yesterday, I ended up going out again this morning-this time to the Chattachochee River. It was fabulous too. Still working on the junk food problem. I need to get it out of my house but I am too weak to throw it away. I need to promise myself not to buy anymore. For real this time-no more moments of weakness. I went shopping yesterday also and was not fond of my hips in my reflection in the mirror. Nothing like clothes shopping to remind me of my weight loss goals.

Anne3-Why do you think weight loss is essential?

Gayle- It is okay-just keep trying. Perhaps pick one thing to work on-like giving up some food item you know is too high in calories and gives you trouble. The baby steps add up when you stick with it. For example, I have been working on my calorie total all year and although it is not where it should be, it is better than it was by about 200 calories a day. Plus I have stopped gaining and lost about 2 pounds. Nothing to get excited about but I feel I am moving in the right direction. I had to change some things to lose the extra 200 calories a day. The latest thing I "gave up" was chips and crackers. I miss them but not too much.

Last edited by TERAPET; 05-04-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #290  

cals-1765 (375), exerc-short walk around the neighborhood. Saw a bat!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #291  

cal-1560 (390) exerc-90 minute hike at Kennesaw Mtn. F&V: mango, kiwi, carrots, tomato, corn on the cob. I am hoping I have hit my stride now.

Last edited by TERAPET; 05-05-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #292  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera, how exciting you saw a bat. I was thinking if I saw one I might lose a pound or two from fright but then I realized that they're out often at dusk near the end of my pool. So that weight loss trick didn't work. Your hikes sound wonderful and you're doing great.

Gayle, I don't think I'll ever get off this merry go round and I don't think I'm alone in that. It's a constant struggle and if you keep getting back on the merry go round, you're less in trouble than if you give up. That's the speech I'm giving myself.

I'm doing one of Tera's ideas in giving up one thing to tackle. I'm going after not snacking on pretzels and/or tortilla chips. The salt is causing some issues with a nerve problem that my DS caused when I was pregnant with him. Now this sounds odd, but he'd rested on a nerve that goes to my outer thigh and basically made it feel asleep (for the past 28 years). Lately, with my new love of salt, it's made the numbing/frozen sensation intensify and grow somewhat painful. So I cut those two foods out and its back to annoying. And I'm allergic to corn (not deathly like peanuts and soy) so getting that off the table (literally) is a good thing. So instead of my portion controlled nachos - I had been weighing the chips and cheese - I'm making flour tortilla fajitas. Not as good as that salt was divine but still good. I also ellipticalled on Monday and biked on Tuesday. Today is DH and my 31st anniversary so we had a nice dinner, with flowers and candlelight. No exercise except the doggie hike this morning. I've made my afternoon mocha at work and that has helped. I do think I found a solution to why I wasn't exercising after work. I'm going for 3X a week and once on the weekend in addition to the daily doggie hike.
Marie
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #293  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon to you,

Tera ~ I'm glad you've hit your stride ~ and way to go on your hikes ~ keep up the good work.

Marie ~ exactly ~ even if I am going up and down and not really getting anywhere very fast ~ it is better than giving up completely and that scale going up, up, up. Belated Happy Anniversary to you and your husband.

Darcy ~ how are you doing?

I didn't make the goal I was trying to reach ~ for being under 200 for my dr's appointment. I had splurged a weekend or so before that and messed that up. The weight goes on in the blink of an eye, but seems to take eternity to come back off. At the Dr's office, the weight had come back down enough to where it looked like I had just stayed the same. I have another Dr's appointment at the end of this month, so am aiming for under 200 for that one. That one is 2 ½ weeks away, I am at 208 this morning, so I don't know if that is do-able, or just wishful thinking.

We had a nice day yesterday ~ wandered around the park with Maddie ~ there was a water conversation program going on ~ aimed at kids. That was interesting. Even though it was pretty warm out, it was by a lake, so there was a nice breeze that made it seem like it wasn't so warm. Then we ran some errands and went down by the mall where they have a waterway. There is a nice walk along it and a boat ride that our swim passes allow rides on. We had been wanting to try it out, so we did that. We got on at one end and rode the boat to the other end by the mall. We got off then and went inside the mall to wander around and kill some time before getting back on the boat. We wanted to wait until dark so we could see the twinkle lights. It was pretty.

The pictures are of the waterway in the daytime, and a view from the boat on the waterway at night.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend and a nice Mother's Day.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodlands waterway taxi.jpg (25.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Woodlands waterway view from the boat.jpg (29.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #294  

cals-1990 (630), Ex-walk with DD. Happy Mothers Day! I hope yours was as delightful as mine. I did not realize how much I would enjoy being the center of attention from my dear family. What a treat. I think I did okay with the calories today despite all the festivities-I hope I am not underestimating although it does not change anything either way. All kinds of stressful job stuff going on around here for all three of my kids. Hoping and praying that everything is going to sort out well in the next few months. All three are very smart and well intentioned young people-we just need the right circumstances to come together for them. In the meanwhile, I am hoping to stay on the right path with my calories and exercise and hopefully, maybe lose a pound by the end of the week before an out of town excursion planned for next weekend.

Marie-Love your plans for the week. Good luck with losing the chips and pretzels. I usually find it only takes a bit of time and then it is not so bad at all. This week I am going to work on not eating out so often. I have been pretty bad with that lately and it has led to some pretty bad food choices.

Gayle-I remember I was in Weight Watchers once and was just getting nowhere so I quit. Then I ended up putting on another ten pounds very quickly. I was really sorry I had not just stuck with it even though I was not losing. You are so right about the ease of putting on weight as opposed to taking it off. It is so easy to go over on the calories but very difficult to create enough deficit to actually impact the scale. Just hang in there though. With focus it can happen, even if it takes a while and in the meanwhile you are being very effective at staving off a gain.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #295  

cals-1900 (80), ex-step class at the Y. I know I shouldn't brag-but look at that total for my junk calories-woohoo!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #296  
Lifelong Journey Member

Half-way through the work week!!! Yay!!! Things are going well for me in the diet department. I am seeing a dr. that specializes in weight loss. I think it should be good. I've had a couple days straight of being good and it wasn't hard for me to put on the hat. For the first time in a long time, I'm very into getting back on track long-term. I think with the $$$ investment, that should help. I've been hiking with the doggies and did the elliptical a few times. So that is coming back (very slowly as I still hate to exercise after work). I work for a school district in technology and summer is my busiest season but I don't care that I'm into the 2.5 months of h3ll. I LOVE summer!!!! My pool is up to 78 degrees. A couple more degrees and I'm going swimming!

Gayle, I truly believe if you never give up, you're weighing MUCH less than if you had. So you are doing great.

Tera, WOOTS on the junk calories. You really are on track and rocking! Great job.
Marie
Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #297  

cals yest-2030 (500), ex-step class at the Y. No bragging today, lol. I have actually lost a few pounds but I cannot record them on my ticker because I "failed" to record that part of my gain I am not always perfectly honest with that thing!

Marie-Please share some of your strategies from the good doc. How exciting that you are taking that step. Happy Swimming!

Hi Gayle & Darlene!

Last edited by TERAPET; 05-15-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #298  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, I wasn't always honest on my trackers either so I took them away. That way I didn't have to face the upward trend. on losing some regained pounds, regardless if you posted the regain or not. The only important thing is you've lost some (or maintained because that isn't gaining).

The dr. went over balancing net carbs and protein. Set a calorie range of 110 to 1500 cals with 1300 being preferable. Exercise 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes minutes. BTW I don't make 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. I do about 30 7X a week. Whatever. And the heart rate target range he wanted. And he prescribed an appetite suppressant. After 5 days on it, I'm not sure how much it is suppressing but I do know that having someone track what I'm doing and that I'm paying for it has really pushed me to be accountable. So I've been at 1300 cals every day except Tuesday where I was at 1200 cals. And the doggie hikes are getting quite a workout as we're near running (speed walking) up the mountain hills. I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday that my fave store Amazon will be delivering tomorrow. My sister recommended one that works with her iPhone so I got the same one. We'll see how that goes. I'm still not on my elliptical much (once a week) but I'll take whatever I can make myself do after work. I HATE working out after work except swimming - Which I was able to do on Thursday and yesterday (after working on extending the pool deck pouring concrete. BTW, that was a TON of work and last night I was about as exhausted as the day DH and I did the 65 mile organized bike ride last year. Anyway, I'm really motivated and I truly believe it because I'm accountable monthly to the dr and I'm footing the entire bill.

Hi Darcy and Gayle!
Marie
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #299  
Want to feel better

Hello all,

Been doing a little better ~ have ridden the bike some. Back down to a little below my signature weight. My ticker isn't always accurate either. I go up and down so much that it is a pain to keep up with it, so I just have been changing it when I go down.

I get on the ball and do the bike riding, but when the next day rolls around, I struggle to make myself do it. So, I have sort of come up with a plan. We'll see if that works out any better. I am going to try to walk for 15 minutes in the morning. Then if I can ~ maybe around 6 pm go out for a bike ride ~ the 30 minute one. Or, if I have access to the car ~ go to the "Y" and water walk. Sometimes I ride my bike to the park with DH and Maddie, but Maddie's favorite park doesn't have a bathroom, which makes it hard for me. I figure ~ in the afternoons ~ with Maddie here, I can't get anything else done anyway, so I will save the morning time when she isn't here to get stuff done, and do the exercise in the afternoon or early evening when I can't work on other stuff. If I don't make it out for the 30 minute ride or to the "Y", then I will still try to get in a 15 minute ride sometime in the evening. That way, I will at least get my 30 minutes in, and if I do the 30 minute bike ride or get to the "Y", the 15 minutes in the morning will be a bonus.

Hope I will follow through and not be just playing "head games" with myself.

Marie ~ I'm glad it is warming up enough that you can enjoy your pool again.

Tera ~ congratulations on the loss ~ way to go.

Hello Darcy

Hope you all have had a good weekend.

Take care
Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #300  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all. I love summer! Have I ever mentioned that. Things have been going well on the diet but I'm not sure it isn't my motivation not to waste money or the appetite suppressant. Regardless, day 10 and I'm in the 1300-1400 cal range. The dr wrote out where he'd like my heart rate for exercising. And since I didn't have a great idea, I bought a heart rate strap that works with my iPhone. That is cool and it works. My sister recommended it and it was only $35 on Amazon.

Gayle, I hope your new plan works. To be honest, I'm thinking all of it is a head game so you just need to keep your head in the game.

Marie