Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/232/150

Height: 5' 1"

Thumbs up Does Equal Make You Fat?

all these years I have been looking for a reason why I crave sweet things so much, and trying to find a way to "turn off my sweet tooth" All these years I have been using artificial sweeteners, drank diet sodas etc and I just get fatter and fatter. While looking for a way online I found where they said that these no-calorie sweeteners do not fool the body and we end up wanting more and more sweet things because we have such terrible cravings. I am a very heavy user of Equal and yesterday I decided to put my large box to the back of the cupboard and do without. I drank all my teas sugarless and coffees. I noticed there was less of an urge to look for sugary things and my mind seemed "satisfied". I did give up diet soda. DH drinks regular Pepsi and a few swallows of that seems satisfying. Today I am doing the same thing. I want to see if doing away with Equal helps me lose a little weight. Just trying out something new
Cassilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Equal contains aspartame which, in some people, can cause blood sugar spikes and set you up for cravings.

I avoid it like the plague!

Stevia -- the natural kind and not the kind that has additives with it (eg, Truvia made by Cargill has xylitol added) -- does not do this. Stevia comes from a plant source and has been used for centuries in South America.

I use the NOW brand and have also used the Sunrider brand, too.

Some brands can leave a bitter aftertaste so if you try one kind and find it bitter, try another one. But again, avoid any of the stevias that have additives put in with them. For some reason, those multi-national corporations seem to think that the artificial substances make things better or more marketable? I don't know. But they are wreaking havoc on our digestive systems!

I will be interested to hear more about what your experience is as you continue the experiment of life without Equal.

Annik
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #3  

thank you Annik for replying. I have never tried stevia but I might give it a go as you say it does not cause cravings. i am still doing without Equal and I feel better in myself but I feel very tired. Maybe withdrawal. I have been a huge user of all artificial sweetners starting with sacchrine. my brother has been telling me for years to get off the Equal. I eat normal sugar, there are no cravings so far. I am also drinking lots of water as well. We shall see!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #4  

BTW I was looking at your siggy and you have had wonderful weight loss, fast, too. I have a lapband and I am here to say unless you use it for the tool it was meant to be, you will gain weight. There are ways of getting around the band and you also avoid foods you know will give you trouble eg rice in any form for me does not work. I am hoping this works. Keep up your great sucess, I am roting for you!!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #5  

I think I am going through withdrawals from the Equal I was a very heavy user. no headaches but tremours. lucky i take Xanax along with all my other medications, i feel less shakey now. On the plus side I lost 5 lbs
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Cassilda,

Keep going! You are doing great, too! I had been thinking of lap band surgery and then my brother tried Ideal Protein with good success. So I thought I would give it a shot, too. The low carb/moderate protein/low sugar way of life seems to work really well for me.

Equal is promoted as being so good for us.

And now I hear that the Splenda company is selling versions with 'added vitamins' and 'added fibre'. Good grief! They are making lots of money and will make more.

Keep up the good work!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #7  

Hi Annik, hope your way was good. I have never heard of Ideal Protein diet but it sure sounds like it works very well! I am glad your brother had good success. I don't have enough posts to put a link to what I was reading but now I see all the poison I was putting in my body and it doesn't even help, look how fat I am, and before that I used Sugar Twin and Sweet and Low. I find I don't crave sweet much, maybe that's how I lost the 5lbs!!! Take Care
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #8  

I am a nurse, and have always had a bit of interest in natural means to good health. over 10 yrs ago my then 3 yo nephew said it best. When discussing eating candy, he stated it was OK " only in moderation". I feel the same. We have way to many chemicals and crap in our diet. Things in our foods approved by the FDA that shouldnt be there. I feel its best to stick with the real thing, but in moderation. However as much sugar you can eliminate the better. At least for me it seems a little addictive. Once I'm off most of it for awhile, the cravings stop.
Tammy
tammyinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I want to recommend the Sweet Drops brand of stevia. It has no additives, and it's liquid: a bottle with an eye dropper. I use it in my coffee and it's fabulous: I have a very bad sweet tooth, and I find that coffee with Sweet Drops completely satisfies that craving. I'm on Atkins, and allowed to have cream, so I also add that, plus a little vanilla extract and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

I buy Sweet Drops at my local herbal store, but I bet there's somewhere you cam buy it online.

Last edited by Fiona W; 11-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote