Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi again. Did do a few minutes on the elliptical. Shoulder felt okay. We'll see how it feels tomorrow but it's a start.

Hi Marie- I've missed you. My DH is fine. It's my parents. My DM now has breast cancer. And about 2 weeks ago I had to help her do the prep for her colonoscopy. Both parents have Alzheimer's. But enough about that! I've now decided I'm just going to try to get back to exercise when ever I can. We made a quick visit to Tucson to see DH's 97 year old aunt and uncle. They're declining a little but walked 3 miles a day until they were about 95. And have pretty good memories considering their age. And I just read somewhere that walking will stave off Alzheimer's.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #77  
Empress/Queen

Hello, Deelee! Hope things work out okay for you and you feel better soon and that the surgery helps the rotator cuff. Glad you are here!

Marie, the recumbent helps my back when I do it at the gym. I also like the Octagon (seated elliptical) whenever one can wrest it from those who stay on too long. The two they have at my (previous) gym are very popular.

The muffins are from Dee's Naturals (Dee McCaffrey). I assume they have a website, haven't looked for a while. I love her products but mostly the muffins. Had two today, have forgotten to buy them for a long time, going back for more this weekend.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #78  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Deelee, I'm so sorry about your mom. Was I mistaken that your DH had a cancer re-occurence? If I was right and he's fine now, that would be excellent! Walking is good for so many reasons.

Am2, So I googled Dee's Naturals and there's a note from Dee that their primary purpose was for food education and they were going to stop food production. You might want to take a look so you're prepared. I must admit when I looked at the muffins, I definitely wanted a bite.

Since it's pretty early in the day, I can't say how the calorie consumption is going other than breakfast was healthy and on track. I'm quite happy it is Friday. Tomorrow, DH and I are going to travel south to Redding, CA and go for a bike ride. It's supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny. We're going to leave the snow and ice behind. I've been excited about the day trip since I came up with the idea on Tuesday.
Marie
Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Just a quick flyby. I am in sunny Florida visiting my DD since of course-I can. I am not being too serious about what i am eating but not departing too greatly from my usual diet either. Alas, I have no scale so I will have to depend on my intuition and the waistband test.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi all-

Marie - you are right that my husband had cancer. In 2004, very nasty Mantle cell Lymphoma. In 2011 ish - his Barrett's Esophagus developed high grade dysplasia which is almost cancer and required Laser ablations - burning out the lining of his esophagus. This past summer he had prostate cancer - not as scary but he opted for Proton beam radiation which took the whole summer. And about a month ago I noticed a teeny lump near where his original MCL occurred on his face. He had a local surgeon look at it who ordered a cat scan which showed a small lession but may have been on last years scan. His check up at M.D. Anderson in Houston is in early March so he will have a bazillion tests. Hopefully they will all be fine. I don't think i can handle any more cancer. The people in my life are high maintenance - and I always intended for me to be the high maintenance one - in a different, princess kind of way! Nope. But I've decided that no matter what is going on, if I'm at a good weight and in good shape - it gives me a perk. Not to mention the stamina I need to handle everything.

Thanks for the welcome back!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #81  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Tomorrow, DH and I are going to travel south to Redding, CA and go for a bike ride. It's supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny. We're going to leave the snow and ice behind. I've been excited about the day trip since I came up with the idea on Tuesday. Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERAPET View Post
Just a quick flyby. I am in sunny Florida visiting my DD since of course-I can.

You ladies have a right idea, and Terapet, your DD gets an award for living in a state that begs to be visited in the winter.

Had a challenging week with DS & sorry to report I am still an emotional eater, trying to get back on track.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #82  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera, enjoy your vacation. My dear sister is in FL right now and I'm a little on the jealous side.

Deelee, I'm glad that your DH's prostrate cancer is resolved. I hope the lesion turns out to be nothing. I love that you'd planned to be the high maintenance one. It's actually quite cool that you aren't. Means that your aging is going along smoothly.

Diana, I'm sorry your DS pushes the emotional buttons. I sweat that's why they're our kids.

Am2, hope all is well with you!

The trip to Redding was wonderful. We biked 17.66 miles and did really well on "Heart Rate Hills" - the 2.5 miles stretch that has warnings on both sides. So when you go one way, you have to go back. Last year I thought it should ahve been names "Heart Attack Hills" but alas, they are right it just spikes the heart rate in about 5 seconds flat. But is was FUN! Here's a picture from the trail, looking at Mt Shasta in the distance.

Last edited by Marie; 02-02-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Everyone! I recognize some names here from other boards. I really need this board....more support for exercising and diet control. I think I'll stick around.

Terapet - I have watched Hoarders a few times lately and as horrible as it is, it is inspiring me to get rid of some things I have been holding on to. I'm nowhere near as bad as the show, but I realize I have a hard time letting go. I spent yesterday loading up 2 boxes of cookbooks I'm going to donate to Goodwill. A lot of them are those little booklets they sell near the check-out counters. Pillsbury Bake-Off etc. I got into a habit of buying them at flea markets 10 for $1 or so, and I look through them and then pitch them into a box, to sit forever. I don't cook from them. So out they go. After this I will start on clothes. I have tons of clothes that are too small but I always think I will lose weight and wear them again. Most of them are out of style and I know I won't wear them. So they are going next. This is the year that I will declutter my house.

AM2 - After surgery in 2011 I was told to track my weight daily to be sure I was not retaining fluid. I got into the habit, and also was tracking my BP, BS, diet and calories. I am one who needs the scale. I don't get upset over daily fluctuations, but it keeps me from getting out of control. I think I will go back to tracking it all, again.

Marie - We have talked in the past about the elliptical. If I didn't have a TV in my exercise room I know I would not last on it. I try to use it while I'm watching my favorite shows and the time goes so quickly. I'm going to watch the shows anyway, so I can't say I don't have time to exercise.

Hi Dee! Nice to see you here. Hope all continues to improve with your family.

Well, the groundhog didn't see his shadow and I'm ready for an early spring. Our winter was fairly mild, and since I'm retired I don't have to go out in it. But I like to see all the flowers starting to sprout!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #84  
Empress/Queen

Woot! Marie, that is a beautiful picture, wish I'd been with you, although not on a bike since I can't ride one lol. I have never been in that area.

Slmn, I love tracking, although I weigh only once a week officially, hop on at other times just for the heck of it.

I did gain a pound this week but overall I'm still at a net loss of .5 for each of the past two weeks so I'm okay.

The thing is I have been mysteriously ailing with some malaise and the cut foot so I really didn't reach anywhere near my usual amount of exercise and feel I won't in the coming week. Also waiting to hear about a contract that could put me back to work and while it isn't making me eat too much, I seem to want to just take naps a lot.

We'll see.

To all, mentioned or un- ... have a great weekend, or what's left of it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #85  
Lifelong Journey Member

Am2, I'm not a great proponent of doctors (seeing that they mostly seem like quacks) but you've been not your perky self for a while with several viruses. I'd have to say if you're wanting to nap and don't feel well, bite the bullet and go visit a quack. Simple bloodwork might give you a reason for the tiredness and blahs.

Carol Sue, great to see you! Welcome to the thread. We're a small but supportive group. I'm ready for spring and summer too. That's why DH and I headed to Redding for a bit of spring. Today the high at home is 40 degrees and it was 20 when we got up. Yesterday's fun in the sun with a sleeveless shirt is now a fond memory.

I did forget to post my calories yesterday. I ended the day at 2150 cals. Yep, way higher than the last couple weeks but biking up switchbacks is calorie consuming. DH's garmin exercise watch said we used 2000 cals. My iPhone cyclemeter (the best exercise tracker for all kinds of exercise) said 900 and my LoseIt said 900. I go with the 900 although wishful thinking has me hoping for the 2000. Don't think I expended that much. Todays cals are higher than normal for this time of day but it's noon and I'm still enjoying my breakfast iced mocha. I have my cals planned and will be back at the 1400 cal range. And DH starts swing shift on Tuesday so the cal max will be easy to stay beneath. Woots!
Marie
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #86  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Good Afternoon to All. This is my rest day and I am enjoying relaxing and not having to get to 10, 000 steps today. Licking my wounds and intent on leaving some tough exterior skin (DS will turn 18 and grad. next June). So nice to turn my food journal to a fresh page, todays food eating is on track

Am2- sending healing thoughts your way.

Marie- nice photo and enjoyed hearing about your bike trip.

Carol Sue- looking forward to getting to know you, think I've seen you in some other threads.

Hi to Tera, Dee and LdyMc. Monday is a new WEEK!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #87  
Empress/Queen

Marie, I visit my old favorite doc quite regularly lol. I'm ok, just various issues.

I could not find a statement on the Dee site such as you saw, although I don't doubt it. I think they have had issues with some markets. I also looked over my calories over this week & the muffin calories are the only ones I wasn't really comfy with as being correct. The per piece weight varied within the pack, which is normal for a product like this, but the density of the muffins made me wonder. So given they are making statements indicating they are going out if production, I will substitute another product. Going to Sprout's today.

Diana, thanks for healing thoughts.

Marie, enjoy reading about your biking.

To all, have a great Monday.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #88  
Empress/Queen

Here's a little update on my 21-day challenge as the eating day has closed and I am going to bed and watch Biggest Loser (exciting life). I've almost aced two of the three weeks and really am enjoying this challenge, will possibly repeat it.

Except for a stint on another website years ago with a group of people I'd rather forget lol, I've never posted my exact calorie counts online, though I've done my share (maybe more than my share) of diet forums. But I've found that calorie counts can be TMI sometimes as people have all different ideas of what other people should be eating and how much. But I've enjoyed doing this challenge and am posting it in a few places.

Eating day finished, going to watch Biggest Loser and call it a night (such an exciting life I lead lol)!

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1890
Day 2: 1610
Day 3: 1525
Day 4: 1490
Day 5: 1785
Day 6: 1875
Day 7: 1760
Day 8: 1685
Day 9: 1470
Day 10: 1680
Day 11: 1845
Day 12: 1495
Day 13: 1870
Day 14: TBD

Last edited by Amarantha2; 02-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #89  
Lifelong Journey Member

Am2, I don't think you'll get any bad you/good you on your calorie goals here. Everyone is so different that if any one says differently, they're just plain wrong. Mostly yours and my calories are in the same neighborhood. I "knew" a maintainer that had to eat 1200 or less to maintain. That is what she figured out after years of maintaining. If it was as simple. Calories in and calories out without age, weight, height, metabolism, where the dripping moon was in its cycle, then we'd all have a firm grasp on what we need to lose or maintain. And I am glad that you're liking your challenge. I guess I would have fit in well with my calorie self challenge.

Diana, glad you're enjoying your day of rest. Sunday tends to be mine, as well as Thursday. Rarely do the days both get on the rest list in the same week. I like playing too much.

Yesterday was not a calorie victory day. I was at 1800 calories. Bummer but I'm ok with missteps. Today will end at 1540. I'm having major asthma issues and finally gave into the Prednisone. That I'm not weighing is something I'm very thankful a for today since that stuff makes me gain as well as turn into a cranky b!tch. Phooey on that med. But with all my maintenance meds, I shouldn't be sucking my rescue inhaler 4 times today and not having it clear the symptoms. Again,a phooey.
Marie
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #90  
Empress/Queen

Lol, Marie, the challenge ended at 10 minutes to midnight with a sort of binge, reached 2655 BY midnight. Not sure what that was about. Decided not continue the 21-dayer, though.

Re calories, I do think it is calories in/calories out, but it is not simple, as I believe you are saying, to arrive at the correct in/out number at any given time, which is why my Fitday PC software is so helpful in keeping track of my calorie cycling.

Yes, it does fit in well with your logging challenge. I log everything whether I am posting it or not.

I think tonight's binge was less a result of the 21-day challenge and what I need in the in/out cycle than it was as I have been questioning recently WHY I am bothering about weight at all. WHO am I doing it for since I personally don't feel motivated at all so I'm not doing it for me. WHAT in my life would change if I stopped being an avid weight management person and just let nature take its course and gain back 100 pounds or so, which would be the invariable result?

Lol, not asking anyone to answer that question.

Sorry you are having asthma issues. Hope you are better tomorrow ... or today since it is after midnight.

Good night, all.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 02-05-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Closed Thread