Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default So you say their is hope after 50

I was looking at the goal pics as i sit here in shame eating Tostotios chips. All i kept seeing were young chicks. Then I read this post IS THER HOPE AFTER 50.

I was glad to see there is hope. I think more 3fC over the age of 50 should put up there progress pics just to let people know there is hope.

I keep saying, I just can't do this. Well it's 2012 and I'm going to try harder.

I just dl myfitnesspal and what an eye opener it is. I'm going to Try and stick with it.

This board is the best
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/183/150

Height: 5' 6"

Yeah, there's hope!

May I suggest not trying harder in 2012, but having a change of perspective instead? I wasn't really successful in losing weight until I let go of the concept of "shame". Shame has a way of camouflaging the reality of my choices, creating a big ugly monster in the way of my success. Reality has turned out to be easier, and more hopeful to deal with. Once I removed blaming myself for being fat, I could objectively make new choices. Some of them work, some of them don't. I rarely pig out on junk food anymore, but when I do, I enjoy it. And sometimes, I even drop a pound or two right afterward!

May you have a wonderful New Year, filled with all kinds of success!

Last edited by Salley; 01-01-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

I have not done great in the past, but after today I am going for it with my all. I am 52 years young, and know that it is possible. I am doing calorie counting, and since today was my granddaughters 6th birthday, and I didn't want to feel guilty eating her cake, I decided to wait and start tomorrow.

I know I can do it and I will.

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I believe there is hope after 50 ... I'm 53 now and still going strong. I still have a ways to get where I want to be, but many non-scale victories have been accomplished on top of the weight-loss: inches, sizes, no more binging-fests, learned how to deal with my emotional-response eating the last 3 years, and so on. I now have a few treats (and I try to make them healthier if I can), and enjoy them too. Ya, no more regrets.

I am enjoying what I am eating; and have chosen physical activities that I don't mind doing regularly (hand-weights, toning exercises, walking, dancing, and planning for some more). I feel that I'm in a good groove, and starting this new year off well.

Wish you the very best ladies ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

There is more than hope - there is health, a life, strength and stamina. I am losing lots of weight for the first time in my adult life and I feel great. Come on over to the January chat - golden girls and hang out with us.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

HI, Rie said it all. There is hope, hope for a better, healthier, happier future. Start today. Make small changes that you can stick with, and start to move. Come on over to the Golden Girls posts. We're all over 50, and we've proven it can be done.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #7  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Yes there is definitely hope!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/215/152

Height: 5'6"

Good to find my age group -- Found some inspiration already!
Healthhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't post in this thread much, but there is hope after 50!

I'm 52, lifetime WW member, back at goal, and started the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Like lots of folks, I've lost, gained, over and over. This time I finally got it.

I realized I had to redefine NORMAL. Normal for me means I will always have to be vigilant and work out, or be fat.

The idea of normal I had in my head was all wrong. Once I realized that and accepted it, life has been so much easier.

While I'm very faithful to my WW program and working out 3 times a week, I've also relaxed, stopped fighting/rebelling and learned to embrace the lifestyle. I've learned how to work in holiday meals, other celebrations, now and then fast food or happy hour, with no guilt or shame, or other useless emotions attached.

If I can do it, anyone can!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Janelle ~ You said: I've learned how to work in holiday meals, other celebrations, now and then fast food or happy hour, with no guilt or shame, or other useless emotions attached. Can you share with me how you do this. I want to learn ~ I do pretty good, until these situations come along ~ maybe hearing how someone else deals with it will help me.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/215/152

Height: 5'6"

Gayle I know you asked janelle -- but even not being to her body yet, I love mine. AS is. I'm changing my lifestyle because I finally want it - not with shame, but with love. i know that may sound hokey -- I just want to take care of me; my body - it deserves it. Food is necessary to do every thing else I like -- I was a gourmet type cook and I let it go and directed myself towards mixed media collage -- it's tactile, it's instant. I think when you take one thing away you need to put something back.

good luck dear lady -- it's the people and places -- not the food
Healthhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/150/130

Height: 5ft4inches

I am new to the weight loss challenge. Well not entirely, I have tried before. Usually last a week. I have slowly edged up to 150 from 124 over the last twenty years. I need to get back to 130 so that I can perhaps get off the lipitor and lower my blood pressure. It is so hard when we live in the city and restaurants are so close. Am going to try bistro md . Let's hope I can limit the wine and restaurants.
Colleen0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #13  
Kitty

S/C/G: 175/165/135

Height: 5'2"

Colleen, I am fairly new too. I mean I've tried in the past but not seriously enough - just enough to look good for an event and then, whap, the weight came back. This time I am very serious. I am at 175 and need to get to 135 to normalize blood pressure, etc. My ideal weight would be 125, but I think those days are gone.

I've chosen South Beach, and I see there is lots of support for that program here. I am fairly active already, but I think I need to increase that even more. I play tennis about 3 times a week, but it's doubles and I don't think it's doing enough to burn off fat at this point. I am involved in one drill a week, which is a pretty good 90 minute cardio workout, but I need more of that type of exercise.

The plan is to head to the gym with some good music and walk/sprint/walk on the days I don't play tennis. Also - the wine and cheese has got to go (at least temporarily) I think that really derails my efforts.

So, I guess I'm thinking lower carbs and more rigorous exercise.
UnrepentantThinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #14  

I am finding inspiration from your posts. I'm really needing to get my health back, so this is the first step. I'm 54, a workaholic, a foodaholic and manage to take care of everybody but myself. I had a knee replacement in July and the 6+ months of inactivity have crept up on me (along with going back to poor eating habits). I don't have a plan in mind...have done weight watchers in the past, as well as every other diet since the 1980's. I just want to be healthy, and have enough energy to get me back into life.
jeauix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275/230/185

Height: 5 feet, 11 inches

For the past 20 years I've carried far too much weight on my frame, and I'm determined to do whatever it is I have to do to take the weight off and keep it off this time around. After my health epiphany last May, I gave myself a good mental kick in the rear and decided that my 50s were going to be filled with adventures. I'm at an age where I care little if I come across as silly or goofy or perhaps slightly crazy - while I refer to my 30s as the "lost" decade (a terribly unhappy marriage) and my 40s as the "Meh Decade" (nothing terribly exciting to relate), my 50s are going to be a hoot. I'm going to sky dive, get tattooed, travel to Spain and Portugal and hopefully a few other places off the beaten path. What I feared doing as a younger woman, I look forward to at 50. Now, to just lose this bothersome remaining excess weight!

50 and beyond can be the grandest adventure of all. Do not sell yourself short and don't you dare buy into the ridiculous old belief that life is over. There's plenty of adventures and good times yet to be had.

I have tried South Beach in the past and it was very successful. Problem is, I got complacent and went off it and the weight crept back on. I'm working my way back onto a low carb diet and find that I feel so much better - I have fewer cravings and have far more energy. It's all a continuing process - keep trying, find what works, and be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JessD; 03-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
JessD is offline   Reply With Quote