Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Start Date 4/21/11 200/146/125

Height: 5'6

Default Please help figuring out what size I am

Hi,

Oddly, I don't know what size pants or shirts I wear.

I'm not going to buy anymore clothes until I'm a size 8 which is about 28lbs away.

I was always 125lbs and once in a while I would hit 150lbs. It seems to me when I was 150lbs I was a size 10. It night have been snug but I never got into a size 12 until that is my last kid 15 years ago, I think I ended on a size 18 before I started losing weight.

I was just looking on the web and I thought I was back into a size 10 but now it looks like I'm actually a size 12?!?!

Uh! I thought I was a 10.

I'm 5'6, 153lbs, bust 38, waist 30, hips 40.

What size am I?

Is anyone out there close to my measurements, weight, and height? If so what size are you wearing?
gracewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Trying to figure out sizes will drive you crazy, even the same manufacturer will have confusing sizes. I bought 2 pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt capris, bought them at the same time at the same store two different sizes were what fit and I bought thm both. In pants I can wear 4 -6-8. I take two different sizes with me to the dressing room, I also carry a tape measure with me. I buy what fits and don't worry about what the tag says.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #3  

Thanks!

Size 10 was extremely important to me because it's the biggest I ever got before I'd drop back down to 125lbs.

Then the last baby kicked my butt and I got up to 200 and stayed there for years.

So to get my mind around this, I know 150lbs used to be a size 10. So by golly I'm going to claim it!

I AM A SIZE 10!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

After losing weight I bought a pair of size 10 pants and bragged about it and someone told me they were too big, she was right and I exchanged them for a size 8. Up until then I had never worn a size 8.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-01-2012 at 04:44 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

My waist (skinniest part) is 31-32
Hips 39 1/2
Weight 145-148
I am shorter than you ....

I usually take size 10. A lot depends on brand though. I buy my jeans from White House Black Market, and their jeans are cut big. (They were correct size until about 4 years ago), now I buy their jeans size 8, their capris size 10 and their short-shorts size 12. -- It is all a mystery, so just keep on trying and trying them on.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I wear a size 10 at about 150, waist around 30 inches. Anything over 150 though and I am a size 12. Now that I am at 140, waist around 29 inches, I am wearing a size 8. You probably will not need to lose 28 pounds to wear a size 8.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #7  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

I'm 141 and I can JUST start wearing size 10s. When I was between 150 and 160 I wore size 12 or a size 14. With that said though, it really depends on the brand. What size I wear really depends on the store. Some size 12s were way to big, some can be to small depending on the store.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Go to a store and try things on. Those online guides are notoriously inaccurate.

I go dressing room shopping all the time with buying nothing - just to have fun and to see what works for my body at its current size.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

The only way you can know is trying this on. Most size charts are WAY off (just see an example here) . Also, when it comes to finding pants help look here.

Looking at your measurements you're probably easily a size 8 already. However, it depends if your hip size is more butt or more hips. If you have larger hips you'll need to size up whereas if it's in your butt you often have to size down (but might need to look for mid-rise or higher rise jeans). Like i mention in the second link going by your high-hip measurement is MUCH more accurate when it comes to finding pants than your waist size. No pants actually fit at your natural waist so it depends more on the high hip.

In terms of tops. Don't even attempt them until you get into a well-fitting bra. It sounds like you're quite busty from your measurements. What is your underbust measurement? That will also make a big difference when fitting into tops. Or if you have any questions check out my link here on figuring out your bra size. Shirts are going to fit you significantly differently if you're wearing the correct bra size.

You also might want to look into shirts from companies that sell by both the bust and waist measurement (BiuBiu is an amazing option, for instance and I have some more links on my blog if you look around).

FWIW, our measurements are pretty similar and I wear a size 4 pants (although both my waist and hips are slightly smaller than yours) and typically about a small shirt (But I order almost 100% from shops that do both bust/waist measurements because I wear about a 28J bra so normal shirts don't work too well on me).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #10  

Wow! This is great information!

I can't thank you all enough for jumping in and answering my questions. I feel much better today. Yesterday was one of those nightmare days where I did everything right and gained +.3lb. I know it's because I haven't had a BM in three days, but knowing that still doesn't help my mood.

I know I'm getting really anal about this, but it's what works for me.

I usually buy my clothes at thrift stores and a lot of the tags have already be removed.

I'm wearing the same bra from when I was 205lbs! I guess now you could call it a sling as it does zero to keep the twins sitting up straight. So I can't get a decent measurement there but will measure under them. Thanks!. I think I used to be 34D x 24 x 35.

I have hated having big boobs for the last 15 years. It was pretty cool when I was skinny but when they turned into lethal sized weapons skirting felonies, I just wanted to hide. And hide I did as I rarely went anywhere.

I'll never forget the day I got out of the car to walk into Home Depot. I was around 158lbs and realized I didn't have to scan the parking lot anymore in embarrassment to see who was looking at the fat lady. What a horrible way to live.

I took a 5 month break from dieting and have been back for about two weeks. I must remember to be grateful for those landmarks.

This really helped my mood today so thanks again!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Hmm... I highly doubt you were a 34D back then. On average most women's underbust is within 3 inches (plus or minus) of their waist so a 24" waist meant you probably had at the most a 27" underbust. That means you probably needed more like a 28F or 26FF (probably higher because a too big band can make cups appear like they fit when they don't). D cups are actually fairly small and most women need more like an F-GG cup if they're fitted properly.

Definitely get a properly fitting bra FIRST! There are actually a lot of good health reasons for this that I list here: http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com...-to-teens.html (there are links to some studies there). But a well fitting bra can help to reduce back pain and if you're working out it's definitely a must! Also, you can actually damage your breast tissue if your wires are rubbing you incorrectly.

Also, if your bra is way, way off, you can take your measurements braless. Take your underbust first and then take three different measurements for your breasts:

1. Measure laying on your back around the fullest part of your bust including the nipples.
2. Measuring leaning over parallel to the ground around your entire bust, including the nipples
3. Lean over and measure around the perimeter of your larger breast including the nipples.

Then find the different from 1 and 2 and your underbust to get a rough estimate of your cup size (around the perimeter will also give you that same estimate but you don't need to subtract the underbust in that case ). Those three measurements should give you a good starting point on where to start when it comes to trying on bras.

If you're like mean and your breasts aren't as firm as they were when you were younger, it helps a lot to have a well-fitting bra! Otherwise you're definitely at risk for back pain and bad posture. Plus, it'll make a huge difference when it comes to the fit of clothes.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #12  

I just remembered my mom was always a 32B and I also remember being the same size as she was, accept in the cup. My breasts were twice the size of hers, which made her wonder why my breasts were so much bigger than hers and my sister.

I also remember being 9 or 10 inches smaller in the waist. I guess I was measuring in the wrong place.

Lots of great info. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Before kids I was 145lbs, 10 yrs ago - and i was a size 10 but did have to wear 12 depending on the manufacturer at times

after 2nd kid, almost 5 yrs ago I hit 220, last year I decided to do something about my weight seriously,
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I can never understand why I wear a bigger size than others. When I was 125 lbs back in the 70's I wore a 9/10 and others the same weight would say they wore a 4 or 6. I didn't wear my clothes baggy, but they weren't really tight either. I just think everyone is different. Wear what fits and looks best. Don't let the size tags get to you. Jude, buying in thrift stores where the tags are mostly removed it a good move. Then you don't know or care what size you are, as long as you look the way you want to look.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote