Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Am I allowed to join here or shall I wait?

Hi there, I am in my 50th year, and will be 50 in October.

I am new to the forums, and it seemed a little silly to join the 40+ and get to know them, only to leave and join this crew.

But obviously i am happy to wait until October if you wish.

I am quite friendly, and will introduce myself properly if you all wish to have me.

Auto.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Auto, you are welcome to join any forum that you feel comfortable in.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Bargoo got it right, Autodidact! You are welcome to join any thread/group at 3FC where you feel comfortable. The ones here
at Age 50+ are great! Jump right in!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Yes auto, jump in. We're not strictly 50+, we love everyone, need each other and enjoy having all ages added to the mix.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome Auto!!!! The Golden Girls welcomed me a little before my 50th b-day last year. Best group on 3FC. Please join us!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for your lovely welcome.

A little about me. I female, 5'7", current weight 192, start weight 235. Goal weight 150. I will put a signature up when I get to 20 posts.

I live in New Zealand. In August 2010 I went with my youngest to the UK to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We had a blast and took my son to Stonehenge, Hardrian's Wall, Greenwich and the prime meridian and lots and lots of castles. When i got back i was appalled by the photos. there we are in all these wonderful places and there is this big fat lady there!

We got back on the 31st August 2010. 4 days later we had the first earthquake, at 4am (I live in Christchurch) We live by the sea and we had never ever experienced anything like this. Our first thought was Tsunami. We left in a hurry. All through that day i was the big fat problem. I have always thought I would be good in an emergency, but i was the one people had to look out for.

Enough. So i started dieting (again) but this time it was different. My mindset had changed. I was mostly Atkins/paleo/lowcarb or variations of. I discovered I was addicted to sugar.

On 22nd February 2011 our world changed forever. Thankfully, we all survived, my eldest (marathon DD) was trapped briefly, she was only 21. Artist DD (then 19) was out but knew her sister wasn't. Hubby was out of town, I got the boy from school, but we had to abandon the car...too much water, liquefaction and holes. That first night was awful. The earth never stopped moving, we had no power, water sewage, car, husband. It was weeks before we got power back and months for water/sewage.

I was even more determined to lose weight. It is not safe to be fat and live like this.

I live in Christchurch East, the worst affected area. We got our sewage back and the right to use our toilets on 11th June. On the 12th of June we had a celebration and filled in our most recent long drop (long drop no 4) On the 13th of June we were hit by another 6.2 and lost the toilets again. That afternoon we dug long drop no 5.....It is so hard to live in a modern western house, in a city, with no sanitation. We are not set up for it, keeping disease away is a 24 hour task. We have toilets again now, and although we lost power and water in the Christmas quakes, we could use the toilets as soon as we got water back. (if you like a giggle google 'showusyourlongdrop')

So far (to date) we have lived though around 10,000 earthquakes. No that is not a misprint. We have entered a rare earthquake cluster where a series of faults set each other off. Who knows how long it will last. Of course many of these are small, almost unnoticeable, but it is a rare day when there are no quakes at all. And many are not small at all....

Anyway, this is probably much more than you ever wanted to know about earthquakes! Suffice it to say it has provided an incentive like no other. I am over 40 pounds lighter, and still going down. I have entered a 5k race in 10 weeks time, and have a training plan (worked out for me by marathon DD), and today i got rid of my first batch of 'fat clothes' There is no going back. Fit is safe. I need to be able to run, to walk from one side of the city to the other if necessary, to help others rather than be helped.

So hello all, I hope this is not too much information. I have tried every diet under the sun, and never succeeded with permanent weight loss, but this time it is different.

Auto.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
Thank you for your lovely welcome.

A little about me. I female, 5'7", current weight 192, start weight 235. Goal weight 150. I will put a signature up when I get to 20 posts.

I live in New Zealand. In August 2010 I went with my youngest to the UK to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We had a blast and took my son to Stonehenge, Hardrian's Wall, Greenwich and the prime meridian and lots and lots of castles. When i got back i was appalled by the photos. there we are in all these wonderful places and there is this big fat lady there!

We got back on the 31st August 2010. 4 days later we had the first earthquake, at 4am (I live in Christchurch) We live by the sea and we had never ever experienced anything like this. Our first thought was Tsunami. We left in a hurry. All through that day i was the big fat problem. I have always thought I would be good in an emergency, but i was the one people had to look out for.

Enough. So i started dieting (again) but this time it was different. My mindset had changed. I was mostly Atkins/paleo/lowcarb or variations of. I discovered I was addicted to sugar.

On 22nd February 2011 our world changed forever. Thankfully, we all survived, my eldest (marathon DD) was trapped briefly, she was only 21. Artist DD (then 19) was out but knew her sister wasn't. Hubby was out of town, I got the boy from school, but we had to abandon the car...too much water, liquefaction and holes. That first night was awful. The earth never stopped moving, we had no power, water sewage, car, husband. It was weeks before we got power back and months for water/sewage.

I was even more determined to lose weight. It is not safe to be fat and live like this.

I live in Christchurch East, the worst affected area. We got our sewage back and the right to use our toilets on 11th June. On the 12th of June we had a celebration and filled in our most recent long drop (long drop no 4) On the 13th of June we were hit by another 6.2 and lost the toilets again. That afternoon we dug long drop no 5.....It is so hard to live in a modern western house, in a city, with no sanitation. We are not set up for it, keeping disease away is a 24 hour task. We have toilets again now, and although we lost power and water in the Christmas quakes, we could use the toilets as soon as we got water back. (if you like a giggle google 'showusyourlongdrop')

So far (to date) we have lived though around 10,000 earthquakes. No that is not a misprint. We have entered a rare earthquake cluster where a series of faults set each other off. Who knows how long it will last. Of course many of these are small, almost unnoticeable, but it is a rare day when there are no quakes at all. And many are not small at all....

Anyway, this is probably much more than you ever wanted to know about earthquakes! Suffice it to say it has provided an incentive like no other. I am over 40 pounds lighter, and still going down. I have entered a 5k race in 10 weeks time, and have a training plan (worked out for me by marathon DD), and today i got rid of my first batch of 'fat clothes' There is no going back. Fit is safe. I need to be able to run, to walk from one side of the city to the other if necessary, to help others rather than be helped.

So hello all, I hope this is not too much information. I have tried every diet under the sun, and never succeeded with permanent weight loss, but this time it is different.

Auto.
Hi Auto,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. You REALLY need to pat yourself on the back for losing over 40 pounds in the midst of this chaos!

Most of our news in the US is US-focused. When things happen in the rest of the world, we generally hear about it for a day or two and then it gets dropped. I had no idea that you were going through all this.

Please join us in the Golden Girls thread or any thread on this site.

And, good luck with getting through this difficult time.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #8  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Auto. Wow, you've been through a lot. Please join us. I usually post in the Golden Girls which is a chatty group of women getting to know each other. Of course, feel free to jump right in on any of the forums.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #9  
soapcreek

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'4"

i am new to the forum also. i am a young 50er. i have been on ip for awhile
(15 months) . currently im at a standstill. hopefully this forum will help me gain some motivation to continue. My counselor wants to phase me out for
awhile. im not so sure this is a good idea i really dont want to gain the weight ive worked so hard to loose back!
soapcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome Auto and soapcreek and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Soapcreek,

Come on over to the March chat and pull up a chair!

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #12  
Sally

S/C/G: 222.5/207.6/140

Height: 5' 3"

I just read your introduction, what a frightening time for you and your family. Happy you are all safe. I am knew also, have a couple of posts here, but I have been a bit busy and not been on.
Sallyannb is offline   Reply With Quote