Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, If a cat could swear I think your DD's cat would be saying some pretty nasty stuff. She does not look happy! ha
This photo is just crying out for a caption. I have to laugh out loud everytime I look at it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #347  

Hi everyone..well hes gone he was so excited but made sure everything was done on my honey do list so i would be safe while hes hunting. he hasnt hunted for deer in about 15 yrs.like a kid waiting for xmas. i have many projects in line to keep me busy and away from munching altho there is nothing here thats not allowed(smart thinking on my part yes )i make a bean soup thats to die for. we get a pkg thats called 15 bean soup mix.it has peas,beans and lentels all diff kinds. i presoak and then add carrotts,onion and celery, can stewed tomatoes, 1 cup ketchup and garlic powder and pepper and chop up moose sausage.but can use polish,kielbasa,or ham, or bacon.whatever suits you simmer till beans are soft and falling apart. i serve it with corn bread.we love it. hmm maybe i'll make a pot and then freeze sm servings. hope your day is great (((hugs))) rosey
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Today has been a busy day and I haven't even made it on here to check in until now. It sounds like all of us are soup makers. Frugal yes, but just so much more healthy and flavorful.

Rosey, I bet your dh is just beside himself! Isn't it funny how much they look like little boys when they are like that? It is the charming side of them, for sure.

Chickadee, everything I read is that steel cut oats are better but I am always afraid because they have more carbs per serving than instant. Do you understand it?

Lynn, Oh my! that cat picture is funny!

Mary, the incredible shrinking woman! You go girl!

Freda, good for you for looking out for family. Because you understand the job, you know where the boundaries are and what constitutes acceptable care.

Bobbi, nice of you to make rolls for the crew. My dad's co-workers are always begging for us to make treats. Yup, that's how I make my chicken stock, too. I'm never sure why anyone would not make it.

Carol, it is so easy! Actually, my ds is the one who got me back in the habit. He is the most frequent cook in our house

Karen, I am excited to hear about your trip. What do you have planned?

Gayle, it is kind of crappy to have to wear a certain kind of scrubs. On the other hand, it is nice for patients and families to know who is a nurse, etc. Do you get an allowance for scrubs?

Marie, I agree, Kai is a GG. I hope that you are feeling better about things. Hugs.

Donna, You didn't lose power, did you? I hope all is well with you. We only got a few flakes. I am looking forward to building the first snowman of the year with dgs....

Everyone that I missed, I will check in later. Hugs.

Rie

Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #349  

Dh went fishing and I went to my eye appt. I had forgotten it would be such a big exam this time...I had to have another field test plus the whole big eye exam I get once a year. My prescription changed a little bit but the doctor said he thinks some of my vision issues are related to my cataracts getting a little larger...esp in my left eye. They are growing slowly and I am not nearly ready for surgery but the left eye seems to be a little worse. Also the pressure in my eyes is now 21 & 22! But I passed the field test fine. So he is saying I'm pre-glaucoma but still just watching, no meds yet. It amazes me because dh's pressure is much less than mine and yet he's on meds. However, he can't pass the field test. He was happy to hear that my bs are much better and so far sees no diabetic changes nor macular degeneration so I was happy to hear that. considering how badly I have treated it my body has really been very kind to me. Then I did a little more grocery shopping before heading home. My eyes are still dilated and I can't see very well so decided I'd better get off the streets..

Marie, the lady from Costco called and said we DO get a $25 refund!! I don't really understand it since we did not pay $100, just another $50 to upgrade and the original $50 for the regular membership several months ago, but she got this from her supervisor so I didn't argue with her. I think it is almost worth upgrading for all the goodies we got to day already!

Rosey - I copied your description of your bean soup into my cooking software and I labeled it Rosey's Bean Soup To Die For! Thanks I think I've seen that mix you're talking about.

Chickadeee - enjoy your time off!

Last edited by maryea; 10-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #350  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

OK, this is for all of PC users since I say how lovely Macs/Apple is. Well, I stupidly updated my iPad to the new iOS5. Little I know how much work I’d lose by doing so. When I’m editing my writing, I’m making notes what to change in WORD at a later time. I was using Notes. Well Apple in its stupidity decided I didn’t want to store my notes on my iPad. Instead send them to my yahoo email account without my permission. So yesterday, all my notes are gone. And they didn’t sync to yahoo properly. They’re all gone. Every one. Probably about 60 hours or work. I contacted yahoo and they said their engineers couldn’t restore my notes and that they are so sorry. And “Thank you for letting them know about this bug.” I could scream. I could really eat at this point. I figure I will be smart and restore from backup since I know I have a backup from a few days ago. Seems logical to me. Alas, no. Apple syncs the device and creates a new backup without my consent, overwriting the #$(*!&# Notes backup. My notes are gone. Apple and Yahoo ate them. I am very, very peeved. At least it didn’t steal my financial or diet data. Then I’d be livid. My resolution so it never happens again is to use a bought app (not an Apple built in app) and Apple can’t upload it. I guess I learned the hard way.

On the good news front, I got my hair trimmed today and I always like that. Bye-bye dead ends. I stopped at the piercer’s shop and he helped me figure out what size Daith earrings to purchase since it will be a one time purchase. And while I was getting gas for my Jeep, the bicycle shop called to verify a modification I wanted for the tandem. AKA they received it and are working on it. They didn’t think it would arrive until tomorrow. We could pick it tomorrow but I’ll be out of town so we’ll go Saturday morning and then go for our first tandem ride. I’m excited about that!

Rosey, thanks for the squeaker tip. I like putting squeakers in DH’s old socks and tying knots in them. Takes the doggies a few minutes longer to destroy than their stuffed animals. I’m giggling at your 15 bean soup post – beans are legumes and in the same family as my deathly allergic soy/peanuts. So I was thinking, “Death in a crockpot…”

Gayle, does each floor have to wear the same color scrubs or do you get a choice of a few colors? Nonsense changes for sure.

Rie, I love the scrap meat and scrap veges bag. I would so do that to make a broth but I never have leftovers. One might think that was because I eat too much but alas, it is because I measure my food before it is cooked. I will keep your idea in mind before the holidays.

KarenFL – LOL and really loudly. I loved the Kai is a GG because she’ll eat ice cream when she’s sick. I just hooted in my office when I read that earlier today. And yes, my plan with not so dear son is to ignore. I’ve come to the conclusion I will never win understanding from him and is delightful wife.

Bobbi, can I stop by tomorrow to have the caramel cinnamon rolls???? I have experience putting in hard wood flooring as I was my DH’s apprentice when we did it.

Freda, I’m so with you on not being competitive with others. Just myself. I cheer for others at games even if I’m cheering for myself to lose. Maybe I should have named the Holiday Challenge thread Holiday Self Promise because that’s all it is.

Mary, congrats on the loss. With how rigid your program is, you might not really hit a plateau until your body is at a low weight. And very good job saying no to the mocha freeze. That would have taken you out of ketosis in a flash. Isn’t it amazing how easy, though, it is to be tempted in the here and now? Great job. And yeah on the refund. My guess is they calc'ed your membership based on if you'd been an executive member for the entire year. Either, never look a gift horse in the mouth. And who ever came up with that saying???

Lynn, I love the kitty picture. Although kitty doesn’t seem to appreciate the attire.

Chickadee, isn’t it hard when we get the joy of watching our children aiming to be a train wreck? Biting one’s tongue is a constant activity of adult children parents.

Rie, you didn’t mention – are you feeling better. I hope so. And I loved making split pea soup but it is a legume as well and I started having the throat closing reaction the last time I made it. So sad. I’m soupless now. If I had a really yummy tomato basil soup recipe that tastes as good as restaurants but with a healthy calorie content, I’d make that…

I forgot to mention on the good part of my day. I finished my first membership report fo the state today. With time to spare. That was good as well.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 10-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good evening-- this is just a quick pop in tonight. Just got text message from Tim's sister in PA. She just had to put his (their) Dad in the hospital. He has developed pnuemonia. He will be 94 in December. I'll keep you updated as we hear and we could sure use all the prayers that you could send.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #352  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Yippee ~ off tomorrow. My knees feel a little bit better today. I've had a couple nice mom moments today, and a little bit of grandma time this week. I got to hug on Maddie the other day ~ I told her ~ that was the best part of my day.

Corbin was here the other night to work on a school project. I think it is a special project that they do to learn and honor the veterans on veterans day all at the same time. They were each given a piece of poster board and they have to interview a relative or someone who is/was in the service, then decorate up this poster board with pictures and such. Then near Veterans Day out in the school yard they string up lots of clothes line between the trees out front of the school and hang all these posters (which have been laminated). I had seen these before, but thought it was like an art show of the students work. So, we called my dad, and Corbin asked him the questions. What an awesome memory my dad has (he is 85 years old) he named dates and places like it happened yesterday.

I am feeling diabolical tonight Someone mentioned bribing themselves to help keep on with the weight loss (I think maybe Freda ~ forgive me if I have remembered incorrectly). Well, at first I couldn't think of anything that would make me want to keep going, but I finally came up with something. I have been wanting one of those walk in bath tubs (I think it also has whirlpool jets in it). I had asked my husband about it, but he said no. I even suggested using what ever I made when I worked extra hours to save up for it. He said that that money was going toward my goal to retire at 62 ~ I want that pretty badly, so I couldn’t argue with that. But, ah ha ~ I have come up with a new angle. He doesn’t know it yet, but that is my goal/dangling carrot/reward for getting this weight off.

We were discussing the new health insurance plan that this new company is changing to. He mentioned to me that weight loss surgery was at a better price through this plan. I figure if he is willing to spend money for me to have that surgery (which I don’t want ~ no disrespect to those of you who have chosen that ~ it is just not for me) why not let me do it on my own and use the money instead for that walk in tub. Now that is a dream that might keep me going. That and the thought of getting this weight off and not having this stupid knee pain. Watch out DH…….I just might finally make it.

Here is a pic of my dad ~ 18 years old ~ private in the army.

Hope you all have a good rest. Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-17-2011 07;47;26PM2.jpg (26.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Just a quick drop in....

Marie, I do feel better. Not 100% but I am really looking forward to working out in the morning. I figure that you understand that! So sorry about your work - darn computers. Probably the work that you recreate will be better than the original, but it still sucks. Good job on getting the report done!

Tomato Basil Soup:
1/4 C minced sweet onion
2 tbs minced roasted garlic
1/4 - 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
4 cups chopped fresh tomato
2 tsp beef base or strong stock

Saute onion and garlic till transparent and sweet in a little olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and about 1 C water. Simmer till tomatoes are soft and desired consistency. Serve hot or chilled. Can also be blended. About 50 cals and 12 carbs per cup.

Gayle, I think that is a grand plan! By the time that you lose all that weight, you might decide that you want a regular tub. What a lovely story about Corbin and your dad.

Karen, prayers for Tim's dad.

Rie
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #354  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Would you believe the installer was here at 7:15? WOW, I'm impressed. (Only one guy working on it)I'm going out of town shopping today, need to get out of the house while the dust rises. I'll be back later to read all the post from yesterday.
Yesterdays' menu:
Quote:
815 calories + 32 grams fiber
Breakfast - Fiber One, dried cranberries, Flax seeds, Chia, Yogurt, molasses, vitamins
Lunch- Onion soup
Snack Pineapple Lime dessert w/cool whip
Venison Stew
Pineapple Fluff dessert w/Cool whip
½ serving dry Fiber One to munch on
Caramel rolls came out of oven, I ate the top off of one. (pecans and caramel only) Gave the roll to the dog. He loved it as much as I would have had I eaten it.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-28-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Down another pound

Which makes a total of 28 now. Heart Cath/Stent was on August 17, 2011. After a week or so of recovery from that I got serious about the weight loss issue. So I've only been "at this" for 2 months. 28 pounds is really substantial! Starting to notice a difference in my clothes! Need to hunt down some smaller sized. THIS is good!

Had a great time with my son last night. We really enjoyed reading together again. Lots of laughs and hugs and memories.

He's got Monday and Tuesday off school. I'm sure they want the kids to get the candy/sugar out of their bodies. Never heard of taking days off for Halloween. Only Maryville! (we just got off a nearly 2 week break at the beginning of October!)

Got lots to do today. Still cleaning closets for the massive garage sale!
Off to eat breakfast! Very Vanilla Yoplait no-fat yogurt and fresh strawberries. Total yum!

Have a great Friday all you beautiful women!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #356  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It is a dreary looking day here today. Oh well ~ maybe the sun will come out later. At least it is not boiling hot.

I boldly proclaimed my bribe (the walk in tub) to myself for losing weight here last night. Oh my ~ I may have to reconsider it. I had no idea what kind of price was involved. I had seen these adds that come in the newspaper ~ but they never tell a price ~ you have to contact them. So last night I was playing around surfing the net and found that Home Depot sells them. Oh my ~ no wonder my husband said no. The price of the tub is.......well, out of reach I guess ~ plus there would be insatllation on top of that which I totally didn't think of. So, I'm trying to readjust my dream.

I remebered seeing in some gadget catalog ~ a portable hot tub. Round that you could tip up on edge and roll it through a doorway. So, I searched something like that and the price was way better than those walk in tubs. Maybe DH would be agreeable to something like that. One can hope.

Kitty had another visitor this morning. My "watch" cat ran to the back door ~ this morning it was a possum. A young one ~ not very big. The interesting thing is that all these creatures disappear under the deck ~ I have seen the armadillo and raccoons go under there. My son had told me that he had seen possums go under there too.

Guess I'd better get moving. Have my last weight watchers meeting and then some errands to run. Be back later for personals.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #357  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick good morning...

CK - how's your father-in-law? Good thoughts and prayers...

Bobbi - I'm excited for you about the floors! I hope they're done in a timely and COMPETENT fashion (one can hope, yes? (sigh))

Hope you're all well and healthy, hearty, happy, and hale! Later!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #358  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I don't remember who was selling the child's toys, but with my grandson, we told him if he wanted new toys he had to get rid of some of the old ones, so he went along with it.

Way back when I was a kid, we didn't have many toys, but we played with them until they were broken, way beyond repair. So they went in the trash. LOL Nothing left to sell.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-28-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #359  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

If I knew then what I know now....

When we got our new refrigerator, we gave our old one to my step-daughter. Hers was working, but water was leaking from the freezer. Mine was good, but we got stainless to match the stainless stove. Now I found out that if you buy an energy effecient refrigerator AND recycle your old one you get a $50 rebate from the electric company and $35 for recycling your old one, but you have to do both to get anything. If I had known that, I would have had the guys bring her old one back over here and recycled hers. I think she already got rid of her old one, plus we had to ask a guy with a truck to take ours over to her house and we would again have to find someone to do the hauling. $85 is a good bit of money. I will try not to dwell on it. LOL
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #360  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Just wanted to stop by & say hello. Can’t believe I haven’t been here since Tuesday! Where does the time go? I had to go back 3 pages to read all the posts.

I can’t stay - SO wants to go to some stores to check out some tools, or something (I wasn’t really paying attention), & I am on a mission to find me some boot-type house shoes. I wanted some all last year, but couldn’t find any in my thrift stores. I guess some things you just have to buy new. And I’m determined to have some this year! And, it’s supposed to be pretty chilly around here for the next few days (& I don’t have central heat, so my house doesn‘t get very warm), so I want them TODAY! I think SO’s rested up from working this morning (he only works 4 hours on Fridays), time to get him out of the house before he gets too comfortable.

Bye for now.
NCNancy
Closed Thread