Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #331  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I loved the meatloaf with Fiber one in it Zoe, really got DH going as to the secret ingredient. He kept asking me what was in the meatloaf and I told him I'd have to kill him if I told him. (He really loved the meatloaf)I just told him one of the Golden Girls uses it in her foods all the time, he said he was going to click onto this site and find out what it was. The reason this is humorous to me is because DH loves to cook. Sometimes he'll make something and if I ask what's in it, he won't tell me. He says it's a secret ingredient. It's a game we play out of boredom I think, we really have cabin fever with all this ice and snow. I'm out of library books and the roads are too icy to drive into town. Another day of ho hum for me. Maybe I'll putt around in the kitchen again and try to stump the old man. A couple of nights ago I added some coconut to a batch of vanilla sugar free pudding. He asked if it was coconut in it, I said yes. Then he didn't believe me, he said I put shredded zucchini in it and you're trying to fool me.
It gave me a great idea so yesterday I made more sugar free pudding, added some coconut extract and some shredded zucchini. It was almost perfect, almost. Next time I won't cook the zucchini in the pudding, just stir it in after it's cooked so it stays firmer. That sounds weird but all you zucchini lovers know that it taste like whatever seasonings you put in it. I still have loads of it in the freezer plus lots of chunky applesauce. I've been putting the apples on my yogurt and Fiber One in the morning with cinnamon. I googled recipes with apples in it yesterday and found many on cook.com. I printed out two, one for applesauce cookies and one for applesauce cake. That's what I plan on making today besides making something different for supper. OK you gals, give me an idea for something new, what are ya all having tonight? I have a well stocked freezer so I'm open to anything.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #332  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning sistergirls,

It has finally stopped snowing but there is still plenty of snow out there. We have a path shoveled in the backyard, for my little doggie. The snow is over his head. I've been doing some much needed cleaning inside while the weather is so bad. I'm cleaning the oven this morning...self cleaning, so not so much effort on my part, but one of my most hated jobs. I haven't been doing the best job watching my diet this week. Seems that really cold weather makes me want carbs. But i'm going to make a big pot of vegetable beef soup. That is always satisifying and low calorie too.

Bobbi, and Z too, I've never used the fiber one as a binder for meat loaf, but i'm going to try it next time. Do you put it in the blender and grind it up? I use oatmeal and that is health too, but I want to try the fiber one. I'm glad you are finally feeling better.

Karen31, Goodwill and resale shops are good places to pick up a few new things as you lose weight. Doesn't make much sense to pay a lot for pants that you are not going to be wearing that long. Doesn't take a lot, a couple of pair. And they usually have some nice things.

Sherri, congratulations on the 1 pound loss. I think that is great. Just take it a day at a time. Just think how much smaller you will be by spring!

Karen3, I know spring will be coming soon. Just not soon enough! Hurry....We've had such a hard winter. And doesn't it amazing that the gentleman that hit on you probably thought he was still "hot"? No matter what they look like or how old they are, they usually still do.

Lyn, You seem to be doing well with your business, enough to keep you busy.

TP55, Sorry to hear that you have been sick. We all that that virus here too. I had it twice. It started with my DGD who picked it up at school, i'm sure. Kids are so great about sharing...their germs. You have to have so many posts to be able to get a ticker. I'm not sure how many, but i'm sure some of the others will let you know.

Donna, Always glad to see you post. I hope some of the GG's don't think you have to have big posts to come here. Just dropping in to say "hi" is fine.

Z, I hope the Dr. finds something easy to fix and you start feeling better. BUT, that said, inactivity makes you feel tired. Exercise actually makes you have more energy. Your pudding sounds good. I always doctor things up, adding fruit and nuts.

Rosie, I'm glad that the new scale finally got there. Don't worry about what it says, you have to start from "now". I'm sure you're losing, you aren't eating that much. And besides, we can tell you're losing. Did you check on those bathing suits? Glad to hear that DH is doing well.

Bunti, OH NO, not you too. That virus is really nasty. Feel better.

Pam, You're doing it the smart way. Chosing small goals that are obtainable. Some times looking at the big picture is too much.

Nancy, I have problems sleeping too. And it does affect your weight and it's hard on your body. I wish I knew what to do about it, but I don't. I've tried a lot of different things, none of which work. I hate to think about prescription drugs but they might be the last option.

Lynn, You are going to be so fit! I so admire your exercise plan. I do my measly 30-40 min. and think I'm doing well. Maybe i'll take your example and start doing the full hour. I know that is better, and I exercise while I watch Dr. Oz anyway, and that's an hour long.

Peace, love,

Freda
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #333  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Default The Saddest NSV Ever :(

Last night I was at a sorority meeting, and the thing blew up into a huge battle between 3 women that have had friction for the past year or so The final result was the resignation of the Executive and the splitting of the chapter into 2 separate chapters - with the non-combatants left to choose which one to belong to I feel like a little kid that has been told by a judge to pick sides in a divorce - sort of a "who do you love best" scenario) The NSV???? When I got home I wanted to slam my free weights around and NOT to eat myself into a coma - the usual response to stress
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #334  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

A sunshiny (at least for today) morning to my Golden Sisters …a tad colder here than I thought it was going to be, but I guess I should be grateful for temps in the 30’s and no snow. (That’s predicted for Friday!) I am enjoying my bowl of oatmeal with fresh strawberries and blueberries mixed into it….a very satisfying breakfast, which keeps me from contemplating the chocolate candy bars in the vending machine downstairs at least until lunchtime rolls around. Hopefully, by then, I’ll be filled up on soup and pita, and still won’t have visions of sugar plums ….or candy bars…dancing in my head. Yesterday was a good one calorie-wise, so I’m aiming for an equally good day today. No exercise planned, however. Wish I could be better on that front, but I’m simply too tired to even contemplate exercise right now (which is obviously ironic, because exercising would probably make me feel less fatigued). Ah well, we’ll see what all these test results have to say, and then adapt my diet/exercise to adjusting whatever needs adjusting in this old bag of bones (and fat & gristle…ack!)
A belated welcome, Pam. Yes, indeed. Small goals, small steps lead to big results. Congrats on reaching your first one.
Oh, Bunti…..flu? Yuk. Sorry to hear that, and hope all is back to normal before too long.
Well, Rosey, whether this or your old scale is right, you’ve taken off just about 70 pounds, and while I’m no expert on that kind of surgery, it seems to me that you’re dropping the weight pretty impressively. The woman who works for my company who had the surgery I think right around the same time as you did still has quite a ways to go before she gets to her ideal weight, and she is quite mobile – or at least as mobile as the rest of us who work in offices are. I don’t know what she does or doesn’t do for exercise. But you shouldn't feel that you aren’t doing it right, or that it’s not working, because we can see a huge difference in your pictures…a difference that you probably don’t notice on a day-to-day basis. Just keep up the good work, and pretty soon you’ll amaze yourself when the clothes start falling off and you need to replenish your wardrobe in sizes too small to have ever imagined before this journey of yours began!
Hah, PT…like all the claptrap that I write is of any use. I write more because that’s what I DO when somebody puts me in front of a keyboard. Doesn’t mean I have anything to say, after all. Well, sometimes I do, but sometimes I’m just venting or some such. We LOVE your input….so don’t you dare think otherwise!
TP55. We usually use first names at least here in the “mature folks arena”. Of course if you are particularly attached to TP55, by all means keep it. It just tends to feel a little robotic, is all, so if you have a first name that you’re willing to share, we’d like that. Welcome, at any rate, and sorry about your viral thing. Not the most pleasant way to rid yourself of three pounds, but at least you’ve come out ahead of the game (or behind? Hard to translate losing into success, but here, of course, losing IS winning, and the end justifies the means). Don’t mind me: I’m not too clear myself this morning. "FuzzinessRus".
Lyn, I didn’t realize that your sister lives on the Cape, too….wow….how great is that? You have definitely planned your retirement well! I’d better start figuring out what to do when I finally manage to quit working. All I’ve thought about so far is not getting up early and commuting for an hour and a half…
Ah, Nancy, what goes up must come down. Law of physics. You’ll see a drop soon. I promise. (Unless you go back to the steakhouse, that is! )
Karen3, Please send that sunshine soon, and plenty of it! You’re right of course, about the sun lamp. I got busy and forgot. I may have to get myself to a tanning center and take my chances on the UV rays and all. So are you going to share the name of your son’s book with us, chickie? You KNOW we’ll all be wanting to read it! And as for your Italian stallion, maybe they forgot to tell him that he’s been put out to pasture. Good grief, do men STILL think they can put the moves on women..even in their NINETIES??? I know that by the time I’m up there..if I make it that far, that is…anybody trying to put a move on me will get a pretty frigid reception. As in, “Been there, done that, got the T-shirt”. Blah .
Good for you, Sherry! Just keep on keeping on…it’s about persistence and sticking to it even when you mess up…jumping back on the wagon, keeping the goal ahead of you. My problem is setting a goal. I can never decide what it ought to be.
How did your meatloaf with the ground-up ********* come out, Bobbi? Hey! Have you ever used spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta? I know a lot of people seem to like it, and I’ve never tried it myself. Any opinions? OH! Just saw your post, Bobbi! So I went back and put stars where I asked about your meatloaf. That way, if your dh comes snooping around, he won’t find out your secret ingredient from me!
What are “design” photos, Lynn? Fashion? Architecture? You’ve got me wondering, here…
Congrats on another pound, Tea….keep up the good work, chickie! Oh, sorry about your sorority sisters. That must be a hard decision to have to deal with. Good luck!
No test results yet, Freda – thanks for asking, though. I’m just waiting and seeing. Hope they figure something out soon. Tired of being tired and all. And yep, I know exercise gives you more energy, but truthfully, you have to have just a little bit already, just to get started, you know? I just make it up in the morning to get ready for work, and I’m ready for bed it seems, as soon as supper is out of the way. The doctor did mention thyroid as a possibility, too. We’ll see, I guess.
Mary, ahuh…we probably DO have similar tastes, which is what got us here…which isn’t such a bad place to be, huh? Now if we can just keep those tastes of ours under control….
Okay, I’m about done here…hi again Gayle, Karen31…hope your day is going well.

Z[/SIZE]

Last edited by ellabella; 02-23-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: too large
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #335  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Lots of lovely posts... except for the flu ones!! So sorry THAT'S starting up again! Thank gawd I got Granny/Mom's fabulous genes. I think the real reason none of us sibs get the flu is because she would FORCE us to drink a cup of tea with a tsp of cinnamon in it whenever we'd become weak, pale, and too sick to go to school. It cured ANYTHING, was much worse than any sickness... and to this day, none of us can drink cinnamon anything and none of us gets sick, except very rarely. (We didn't ditch school, either!) She'd be arrested in today's environment!!

Bobbi, I LOVE to read about your meal plans and innovative recipes. I still think I'd weigh 500# if I lived at your house! It all sounds so good!

KarenFL, are your spots still fading? I thought the picture was really good; you're a good looking gal!

KarenMO, still woo-ing and wee-ing? My friend does that devotedly, too, and she's added "Zumba" (?????) which she said really helps her core. I'm agog with admiration for all of you exercisers! PT/Zoe and I are agog with admiration!

PT/Zoe
, it sounds like your tests are all coming out fine... so are your symptoms because MamaNature has totally worn you down this year? And you haven't mentioned your nephew lately. What's the latest on his condition?

Lynn, I'm curious about what makes a "design" shot, too. Details, please.

Rosey, I'm so sorry your new scale is a DUD! I know how hard you've worked at this and how frustrated you must be. The WeightGods have no idea (well, maybe they do!) how ridiculous it is to have that kind of surgery and then to still be consumed with eating, calories, counting, worrying, and fretting! It's just not fair! I think you're doing wonderfully, and it DOES show in your pictures!

Gotta run... NCNancy, Mary, Freda, TeaGranny, everyone and anyone... warm, dry, and safe, lovely ones!

Last edited by jess1; 02-23-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #336  

Morning all. I am somewhat better this morning. Weather is yukky though beautiful. 1 degree, blowing 40 and with all the snow we had last weekend, it is gorgeous between gusts. Hate to think about wind chill.

Jess, I went years without catching the flu, even when my kids and hubby did. But now that granddaughter is in pre-school, and I work with kids in the after-school program several days a week, I seem to be getting whatever they get.

My theory is that it's because I HATE to go out in the snow. I don't ski, sled, or build frozen sculpture. I shovel, slip and fall. When I don't get enough outside time, I seem to catch more of whatever is out there.

Everyone, I love to see all the posts, Right now though I am being the quiet mouse in the corner, mostly. Will jump back in soon.

Except, Karen's picture..... I have looked but can't find it. I see everyone elses, I am confused.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #337  
Bobbi

I keep reading about your picture KarenFla...where is it? I looked back many pages and no pictures of you with spots.
Zoe...I showed DH your comment and he said, "VERY FUNNY". I got a huge belly laugh out of it myself
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #338  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Good Morning sistergirls,

Nancy, I have problems sleeping too. And it does affect your weight and it's hard on your body. I wish I knew what to do about it, but I don't. I've tried a lot of different things, none of which work. I hate to think about prescription drugs but they might be the last option.

Freda
My grandmother had a problem sleeping. What helped her was limiting her coffee to just 1/2 cup in the morning.
Then in the evening she made chamomile tea. It soothes and relaxes a person.
She said she slept better when she drank it.
If you search for 'chamomile remedies' in the internet you will find a few more conditions it can help you with.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #339  

OMG you are all the best..i feel better allready without your support i'd be nuts..i need to remember sometimes slowly wins the game..its not a race just a journey to a better life. and yes i did order a swim suit from lane bryant.a 2 piece,and one for my dh..we have a pool about 2 miles from here.its part of the nikiski rec dept.and we can swim for free..i checked and it does have 2 types of handicapped access.one is a sloped ramp with side rails where u can walk into the pool and the other is alift chair that will plunk you into the pool..when the suits get here im going swimming as for not sleeping i have to take a benadryl every nite(doc said its ok) it helps with my allergies and makes me sleepy,you might try that.hoping your day is awsome rosey
Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Sorry I posted the title and then worried about the weird people out there...email me

and here's the oversized pic of me almost spotless....Gesh now I can't get the damn picture up....sorry

karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 02-23-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #341  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Wow..lots of great posts today. I had a busy day with 3 clients doing cleaning, shopping and more cleaning. Then I went to y chiropractor who does something called "spinal networking" on me. It's a very gentle form of manipulation where you train your body to relax and re-align itself based on light touch and breathing. it works for me - I get a stiff neck when I'm tense and by the end of the half hour session my neck is relaxed and no more creaking sounds.

I made "beans and greens tonite. It's become one of my faves. Saute onions with turkey or chicken sausage (I used apple flavoured tonite) add stock, any kind of canned beans, simmer and then add the greens (I used kale tonite) cover and cook a bit more. I serve it over rice.

Tea - so sorry about your stressful evening. Before I joined the sorority back in NY they had gone through a similar split and only one ended up surviving. Life is too short for these petty disagreements - don't you agree?

Rosey - Good for you getting a 2-piece bathing suit...hope you enjoy the pool. I find swimming very relaxing.

Bunti - Glad you're feeling better. Interesting flu theory.

Jess - Cinnamon (however you spell it) - I love it. Great cure-all I guess.

Z - Yes my sister lives in my grandmothers old house...she moved to the Cape in 1961 and it's been a family reuinon place ever since.

Hi to all my other GG sisters.

Lyn

Hi to Bobbi, Karen and Karen,
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #342  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey G.G.s,
Having a really “off” night, tonight. Just don’t feel quite right, & I really really want to EAT! And I’m not hungry. Actually, I’ve been having that urge to eat for several days now - mostly at night. So far, I’ve managed to resist. Maybe I’m just coming down with something, I hope. I’d rather be sick for a few days, than have that “wanting to eat for no good reason” thing, back for good. I really thought I was past that. Anyway, here I am, trying to be “good”.

I’m also kinda dreading tomorrow - I’m going to my brother’s, to clean. He lives by himself (he’s been married & divorced 3 times, I think he finally gave up on that), & used to pay me to clean for him about once a month. He stopped that about a year ago. I haven’t seen his place yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be bad. His expectations aren’t too high, & anything I do is bound to be a big improvement, so I’ll just do as much as I feel like, & go back next week if I need to. Still, not looking forward to it.

Ok, it just took me about 20 minutes to get back here & read all the posts, then I got bumped off AGAIN! And, I’m now feeling worse (& frustrated!), & I can't even focus on what everyone is saying!!! Maybe I am getting sick, possibly that “bug” that seems to be going around here?! And I’m also one that hardly ever gets sick. My brother’s house just might have to wait until next week. I’m going to post this (if I can), & then climb in the bed (seems like the right place to be). Hey, at least I'm not wanting to eat anymore. Yay? I’ll try to get back here tomorrow.
NCNancy
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #343  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello to all my Golden Girl/Sisters tonight! I thought that I would send you all a little bit of Spring from my back yard. Just took these today. Of course they are saying that we may have some snow by the end of the week! But it is a sure sign that spring is coming!!!

I've still been doing pretty good even though I got up late this morning. I at first thought that I would just not do the wii---then thought again!! So even though I didn't get through with it until noon, I still did it! It sure would have been easy to skip it though...BAD THOUGHTS GO AWAY!!! I'm really hoping to be able to say goodbye to the 170's on Friday!

Hello and Welcome to the new ladies. I will have to take some time in the next day or two to do personals. Tomorrow is going to be kind of busy taking my aunt to a dentist appointment. She still hasn't got a rental car or anything from the insurance company---she had my brother take her to see an attorney today. I think that may be a good idea.

Well, everyone have a good evening. catch you later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3780.jpg (46.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3781.jpg (60.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #344  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Sorry to have not posted much the last couple days. I've been here and read, but just didn't post.

I've been trying to get some sewing done. Bought cloth to make some scrubs for work and it has been slow going. Once I get one done and it turns out ok, then the others should go faster. It goes slowly because I have to adjust the patterns ~ kind of tweak them to fit me. And I try to think it through carefully before I cut into that cloth, because once you cut, there is no turning back. I have the first top almost done. Don't exactly like how it turned out and had to do some adjusting with that. I wanted to have one done for work this weekend. Hoping I can do it. It probably sounds like a lot of trouble. I would have just bought some, but couldn't find any I like or in my size.

So, I have not spent much time on here.

Didn't get my walk in this morning. Wanted to ride my bike this afternoon, but got involved in other stuff and the day had slipped by before I knew it.

Do any of you know ~ does it really mess up your weight loss all that much, if you eat before you exercise. My father-in-law says, and my husband chimed in that this is also what Dr. Oz says ~ that it is better for weight loss if you eat after you exercise. I guess eating before slows down weight loss.

My father-in-law was asking how weight watchers was going and all, and we were talking about our walking routines, and I shared that I get up, take my meds, eat breakfast and head out. He said it is better not to do it that way. But, I am hungry and feel like I would enjoy my walk better if I am not hungry. I already would rather be doing something else ~ I know that the exercise is important and why, but I always am feeling like that is a chunk out of my time that I could be doing the other stuff I need to do. So, I feel like I need to make it as enjoyable as I can, so I don't come up with another excuse for not doing it. All these rules about when to eat etc, just seem to make it a more difficult thing. I guess I feel like it is better to do it than not to do it because all the rules take a simple thing and make it difficult. Sorry for rambling.

I had lost 2 pounds at weigh in today. I was hoping for one more ~ want to make it to that 10%. Oh well ~ maybe next week.

Guess I'd better get off. Will have to do the personals another time.

Take care everyone
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #345  
Bobbi

Glynne...One way to look at it is you'll get rewarded after you take your walk. You might walk faster thinking of breakfast!

Walk your way to a better health
If you're ready to get fit without the fuss and hassle, try this easy walking routine: Every day for four weeks, you should spend 25 minutes walking. It's simple: a three-minute stretching warmup, 20 minutes of power walking, and two minutes to cool down. It's also great to do it in the morning, before you eat breakfast, since exercising on an empty stomach is better for your metabolic rate. In fact, if your body is full of food, insulin levels spike up, preventing you from burning any fat. It's also important to find the right pace: not so slow that you hit a plateau, and not so fast that you injure yourself or get sore. It's best to start out a bit slow, then work your way up to a steady and powerful stride as you build more strength. Be sure to set out with proper walking shoes and drink lots of water before you leave. You'll see the difference in four weeks. Good luck!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 02-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread