Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #1  
age 57

S/C/G: 170/ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Smile Baby Step Victories

Hello!

It occurred to me that if I can even get to my first 20 days and first 20 posts here, so I can become a "real" member of 3FC and get my weight-loss tracker (I know it's really called a "ticker," but "tracker" makes more sense to me) to show up, that will be a real achievement.

I'm now halfway there: 10 days & 10 posts.

I've sometimes felt like quitting 3FC because my threads often seem to end with my comment. (I'm a thread-stopper!) I worry my questions and comments aren't dynamic and interesting enough.

I'm not really comfortable being online anywhere and I know that makes me a dinosaur. I'm a private person.

But I do have weight problems that we can all relate to.

So I'm here.

And it is hard for me to be "here" (on the Internet) and say things and not be responded to. Or want to say things but worry what others will think.

But I am still here, halfway through my 20-day/20-post indoctrination period.

And that is a baby step for me.

It's also 10 days since "starting on a diet" to lose weight. My own DIY weight-loss plan: eating less, eating smaller and more frequent meals, eating more healthfully. As of the first-week mark, I had lost 4 pounds. So that is a baby step, too.

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend, everyone!
AuntBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I don't belong in this age group, but I felt the need to comment since I often feel like a thread stopper too! I don't know any way to change that, but I can sympathize with you. Congrats on making it 10 days. It sounds like your weight loss plan is a pretty sound one. Good luck on your journey!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #3  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

I'll be 49 later this month, so I hope it's ok if I drop in. I too felt like a 'thread stopper' my first few days. But I finally realized that I didn't respond to every post, and neither will anyone else. Don't take it personally, just hop in! It's a great group, and one of the few places you can get unconditional understanding and support. No matter what your experience, there's someone here who's been there, so while we're not all as 'unique' as we may think we are, we're not as alone either!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #4  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

I am right there with you AuntBea. Sounds like you have a great plan in place. I just set small goals. I have a lot more weight to lose, but I am sticking to this and it helps to have the support of those going through the same thing.

Hang in there girl....
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #5  
Happy Member

This losing weight as a senior citizen can seem rather daunting, but it can be done, and you are doing it. So just keep doing what you are doing, take it all a day at a time, and stick with it. Eventually you'll get to where you want to be.

In the meantime there is a lot of support of various kinds available here at 3fc.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm 55 and getting there.

A lot of threads don't go anywhere/far ~ the boards sometimes are so busy, that it's easy for new threads to sink down the list very quickly.

4lbs is one hlluva babystep, by the way! Well done!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #7  
age 57

Thank you all for writing!
I am just not used to Internet forums. Don't mind me!
It is so true I read things and want to respond myself but don't. It isn't that I don't care. I often am overwhelmed by all I'd like to say, or all the good wishes I want to send. Because I empathize with so many people here. We are in the same boat about this mountain we are climbing (whoa...now THAT was a crazy mixed metaphor!). And it is so helpful. In "real life" people (including me) don't feel they can be so candid about their weight problems and aspirations........ Just the other day someone offered me cupcakes. Cupcakes! LOL. Yeah, right. Like I'm really going to eat cupcakes. I would usually demur daintily, and murmur, "Oh, no thank you." But this time I just said, "**** no! I'm a diet. No way." She is a friendly soul & wasn't offended. I laughed. But I decided to just come out with it and fess up that I'm out to lose weight, not gain it. This answer is meandering all over Texas, so I might post something on this topic.
But thank you all for graciously answering my post. I am awestruck by your progress as well! And the picture of Toonses made me laugh! Have a great weekend.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #8  
age 57

A few more BSVs (baby step victorys):

--2 weeks down the hatch, so to speak, and I haven't wavered yet
--2 more pounds gone
--2 pairs of pants that are looser in the waist
--walked more this week, including 1 long walk & 1 long walk that included baby hills
Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #9  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

AuntBea, congratulations on your success! I find it very daring to post on these forums, too. I started it because I knew I needed support to lose the rest of the weight I wanted to.

I walk at grandma speed, and the walks help me in many ways.

I'm glad you are posting here. I wish you much success.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #10  
age 57

Thank you, Slender Silver Life! Your support is very helpful.

I'm taking my granny walks much more frequently. On the days I don't feel like it (physical problems), I make myself at least try, to see how far I can go. I'm finding I can walk farther each time.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #11  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

You are doing great Aunt Bea.

I try and workout everyday using Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs, taking walks, lifting light weights and yoga/pilates. These are all new habits for me. I started this journey in January and I am slowly but surely making progress. I did not gain this weight overnight and it will take a long time to get it off, the common sense way, nice and slow. I have a two year plan to lose 100 pounds. I am determined this time and have a lot of reasons to get in shape and healthy (four grandchildren). Just set small goals and try to reach them. Don't beat yourself up when you don't make those goals.

This website has been helpful, especially hearing from those going through the same struggles. Just hang in there and enjoy the small victories.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #12  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi Aunt Bea, I think the stopper feeling is prone to a lot of us at times. Having posted quite a forthright comment on one of the threads I was then completely ignored and "written over" - THAT'S when you feel your voice is not being heard. So don't worry about it. I took great delight in airing my feelings at the time and I had much satisfaction in doing so.
You look like a very together sort of lady and do hope you continue in your BSVs.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #13  
age 57

Hi, Emaline:
Thank you for your support and kind words. I'm just not experienced with "talking" in an online conversation with thousands (how many are here, anyway?) of people! I'll have to learn to get over it.
I'll tell you, i don't feel very "together" sometimes! But I am devoted to my baby steps. It sure is a day-by-day (sometimes hour-by-hour) thing. I've got a million to go, but I am so inspired by all the people here.
I wish you all the best with your journey too!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #14  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Looks like talking about being a thread stopper is the best way to not stop the thread
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 282/265/165

Height: 5'8"

Good for you for continuing to post. You make some very valid points. I too am a bit bashful about joining in on conversations on line and I haven't managed to "earn" my ticker yet.

Congratulations on your 5lb. Your journey is certainly on the way.
Queen Donna is offline   Reply With Quote