3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/205929-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

akrosey49 07-28-2010 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chasing bubbles..for us who love our pets..this is the most fun dog ive ever had..rosey

maryea 07-28-2010 04:22 PM

A little cooler here today...suppose to be only in low 80s. I haven't gotten outside yet.

Bobbi - YES I am on my own with computer problems...my dh is very much a handyman/Mr Fixit but when it comes to computers he is lost. Congrats on the new printer with wireless...wow, I'd love to have a wireless printer. So many times I am in another room with my netbook and want to print something but although I have wireless internet I do not have a wireless printer. Thanks for the recipe...sounds good.

Lynn and Rosey - Yes a carb serving is 15 gm of carb as Rosey stated however the newest stuff is that you can only subtract 1/2 the fiber and the fiber has to be at least 5 g before you can subtract. But you still hear it both ways. I could not stand to go as low carb as you guys! I'm sure I'd lose weight faster but I'd rebell! LOL My diabetic nutritionist advised me to stick to 9-10 if dieting and 12 if maintaining weight. Yesterday I managed to keep to 11 and that was not easy, 12 is doable but less than that is hard for me. However I am still trying for 10. Limiting to 11 yesterday and only having a little over 1000 calories helped me drop down again to what I was on Memorial Day. One more pound to my first goal! I don't care if it is 157.8...I just want to see 157! LOL I too use Splenda if I need to sweeten something but I really don't use much sweetener in anything I prepare at home. I do still get a single serving treat or share one serving of a sweet treat with my dh which we buy outside the home now and then. Rarely I will use a little bit of brown sugar on oatmeal. With the few packaged foods I eat I make sure that they are either sugar free or that sugar is at least the 4th ingredient on the label, that way HOPEFULLY there is not a huge amount in it. That's the only sweet stuff I get any more and I don't miss more unless it is around tempting me. No more large containers of any snacks are in this house...I know myself too well. I hope someday to get better about my self-discipline but for now I remember the Scripture, "Don't Give Place to the Devil!" :D

Freda - Good idea about the weights! He feels that he is keeping up his upper body strength using the walker but just in case I put a pair of hand weights out where he can easily grab them and use while watching TV. I gave him a choice of weight as I have from 2# to 10# and I was surprised that he chose only 5#, considering that he used much much heavier ones in the gym before his accident. That makes me think he is feeling kind of weak...but then he is feeling a little tired this morning so maybe that's what it was.

Lynn - Is her advanced directive one of those that states in case of "imminent death"? If so that may be why they are not adhering to it yet. Perhaps even though she is in a coma, they may not consider her death imminent...just a thought. They have to be so careful for legal reasons these days. I remember once I did CPR on an old guy in the nursing home as he was not a DNR...and kept him alive until the paramedics came and then they kept him going but he died at the hospital. His dds were mad because I did the CPR...but legally I had to since he did not have DNR orders. It's a very confusing world anymore...

Well, breaktime (1/2 apple and 1 T slivered almonds) is over so back to work...Hope you are all having a good day!

jess1 07-28-2010 04:57 PM

Good Morning, All...
Well, I guess it's technically Good Afternoon, All...

Lynn, your friend is in my prayers. Best outcome...

Yes, I do my own computer troubleshooting until such time as I'm in imminent danger of tossing it through the window, and then I call someone! I have a low tolerance for incompetents and incompetence, so I tend to bull through until I can no longer. Nothing seems to be accomplished without two or three tries (witness your printer experience, Bobbi... grrr, I'm sure!).

Rosey, you're such a happy person. I look forward to your posts, always!

PT/Zoe, life is good? You've been a wee bit quiet these last few days.

I'm assured by my friend that I will soon LOVE Outlander, that I'm just in a boring place. I'll try for a while longer and then won't waste my time if it's not to my liking.

Karen3, Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday, Missy Karen..... Happy Birthday to you!

Stay cool, lovely ladies! And be safe.....

maryea 07-28-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 3408679)

Yes, I do my own computer troubleshooting until such time as I'm in imminent danger of tossing it through the window, and then I call someone! I have a low tolerance for incompetents and incompetence, so I tend to bull through until I can no longer. Nothing seems to be accomplished without two or three tries (witness your printer experience, Bobbi... grrr, I'm sure!).......

Jess, I'm the same way...trial and error is the way I learn or figure things out and I always have to work at things a long time...2 or 3 tries at least to get things fixed, but in time MOST of the time I am able to fix it in time. LOL Now that I think about it I think that's my same approach to dieting!

Karen3 07-29-2010 10:20 AM

Good morning all...We're back. Having hard time with this birthday and we decided since it sucked anyway to just drive on home. Usually do the trip in 2 days, but 1st it was too early to stop then we were too close to home. Exhausted now and actually shakey....neither of us slept well the whole week. Dash is exhuasted too as DD's jack russell is the dog from ****.

You Northerns keep your hot weather...had to come back to cool off!

It was such fun to have DD cook for us. She has been begging for all my old recipes and sent her the 100 yr old church ladies cook books. DH feasted on meatloaf every day. Refuse to check weight until Sunday. That gives me 3 days to drink water by the gallons.

Gayle...we wipe the dog down with a dry dryer pad. He ends up smelling sweet and calm. I got your pm but couldn't get back to you on DD's cp.

Off to grocery store...not even milk in the house...hugs, karen3

ps thanks for the birthday wishes......i think

jess1 07-29-2010 10:40 AM

Good Morning, All...
Quick check-in.... nothing going on. I think I'll take advantage of the warmth and sun and hang my clothes outside today. Either our "monsoons" are already gone or they missed my part of town... either way, nothing has changed on that front. Ugh..........

Hope you're all well. I KNOW you're more interesting! Isabella, check in!! PT/Zoe, yo.

ladyinweighting 07-29-2010 10:48 AM

Stopped by to see my DF this morning. Her breathing is VERY rough. She is on oxygen. She opened her eyes, but I have no idea whether or not she saw/recognized me. I will stop back this afternoon.

I limited my stress eating to 1 chocolate-covered pretzel yesterday. With any luck, I will do as well or better today.

Lynn

ellabella 07-29-2010 02:47 PM

So sorry to hear about your friend, Lynn. That must be awfully hard to deal with.
Nothing much to report, PT....I had my tantrum and now it's back to the same ole' same ole'. I DID decide to take a personal day tomorrow and go to the beach BY MYSELF. I seriously need some alone time. SERIOUSLY.
I've been CRAVING sweets lately. Haven't caved yet, but have come perilously close. As in, talking to myself about why it did VS didn't matter. I can't promise I WON'T cave in and eat something gooey and sweet and then be sorry later, but I am HOPING that I manage not to. I KNOW this is about emotional eating, and I'm hoping that a day by myself at the ocean will prove soothing and rejuvenating.

:grouphug:
Z

Bobbolink 07-30-2010 08:27 AM

:wave: :wave: :wave:
I'm busy finding more treasures to sell on a rummage sale at DD's house. She's a teacher and summers with no pay check for her are very hard. We give her all the money the 'treasures' we bring in. I made a yard sale sign on one of my computer programs and we turned out neat!
I have a request for anyone that freezes corn. Our neighbors brought over 4 dozen ears of corn and I need to freeze it. I googled some ways of doing so but sounds like a lot of work unless I leave the corn on the cob and freeze it. Anyone have any luck freezing it on the cob?
Gonna go, Hey everyone!

the slim me 07-30-2010 09:00 AM

Good Morning girls,

I spent the day with a freind that had knee surgery yesterday. They send patients home so quickly. It was out patient surgery. She is doing well but of course it's still painful and a little hard to get around. WHAT do people do that have no one at home to help out. Yesterday I had to pull out the drain. OK, the Dr. that did the surgery knew that we were nurses and it wouldn't be a problem, but what next. Is he going ot send us a staple removal kit and tell us to take out the staples? It is still quite warm here, but good news, it's supposed to cool off this week. We've had record highs for 3 weeks.

Donna, we don't all like the same books. If I get a book that I really can't get into, I read so many pages and that's it. Too many books out there that i do like to make myself read something that I just don't enjoy. I did that in school...don't have to any more.

Bobbi, I've never, and no one I know, has ever had any luck freezing corn on the cob. The texture changes and it's just not good. It's great cut off the cob and frozen though. I know that is a little more work, but sure worth the effort later.

Z, Hope your outing (alone outing) will rejunivate you.

Lynn, Hope your friend is ok. What are the Doctors saying about her condition? What caused it? Sorry, jsut naturally nosey when it comes to health problems.

Karen3, Glad you had a good time with DD. I'm with you on birthdays. Ok to remember them and get gifts if the mind goes blank of the years!

Mary, I am a complete failure with computer problems. I call someone, anyone! And pray a lot!

Rosey, my little doggie loves bubbles too. he tries to bite them. You would think he would get that soap taste in his mouth, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Hope everyone has a great day,

Freda

jess1 07-30-2010 10:53 AM

Good Morning, All...
Re: the Outlander: I persevered for just another 20 pages, and it's MUCH better! I'm not raving yet, but I'm starting to find it more interesting.

Down another pound. 11 more to go, and I'm out of the "obese" classification... wowsers! Feeling really good!

No news! PT/Zoe, I hope you're having a fab day! Lynn, prayers for your friend, and, all, have a good weekend! Be safe.

maryea 07-30-2010 08:02 PM

Jess - GFY on losing another pound!!

Slim - I've wondered the same thing about how people who have no help do with the way they discharge so early these days! I'm wondering how many end up back into the doc or hospital with problems.

Z - hope the personal time keeps you away from the sweets. My problem is not particularly sweets...although I do love them...but just overeating anything...recently it has been crackers...just plain old saltines with a dab of vegetable spread....and overdoing on them is bad for me on so many levels...carbs, fat and calories (when I eat so many)!

I'm experimenting today. Have not had any starchy carb today so far...it is easy earlier in the day as I am not so hungry...but will allow them tonight. Want to see if this will decrease my need to binge on them. Think I got this idea from Lynn?
So far today all my carbs have come from veg/fruit/yogurt and milk. This has kept my calories and carb servings very low and I have still eaten very healthy.

Lynn - It really must be hard to go through this with your friend! Sending up more prayers.

Bobbi - Can't help you as I have never been very successful at freezing any vegetables. Don't even bother anymore.

ladyinweighting 07-30-2010 08:18 PM

I am SOOOO stressed. Got to the hospital this afternoon & found out the doctors had agreed to remove the respirator. I talked folks into allowing a priest to come in before it was removed. It got removed around 4. I left the hospital around 7. Unless I hear from someone tonight, I will get back there tomorrow morning.

Lynn

jess1 07-30-2010 08:57 PM

Prayers, Lynn..............

Karen31 07-30-2010 11:13 PM

Thoughts and prayers with you Lynn.