3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/205929-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

ladyinweighting 07-27-2010 07:06 AM

Good Morning, Everyone,

Rosey, I LOVE the photos.

Just finished first dose of Yucky stuff - actually they must have changed the formula - not as bad as I remember it - has a kind of orange taste - just slightly nauseating.

Am back down to 155 lbs. I am sure this is the result of all the getting sick on Saturday & not eating much on Sat/Sun/Mon. However, I am going to TRY to stay down here.

It is 7 AM here - my test is at 9:40. Check back later.

Lynn

ladyinweighting 07-27-2010 08:14 AM

Happy Birthday Karen

For Tomorrow -

:bday2you::bday2you: Happy Birthday, Dear Karen, :bday2you:

Lynn

Karen31 07-27-2010 08:28 AM

:bday2you: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAREN!!! ENJOY YOUR DAY!! :balloons:

Will be back later-- Have 4 hungry dogs and 3 hungry kids!!! LOVIN' IT!!

the slim me 07-27-2010 09:33 AM

:hb::bday2: Happy Birthday Karen, :balloons:

ellabella 07-27-2010 09:55 AM

G’mornin’. <looking around> Anybody around? I’m back in my office, which isn’t so bad. On Friday, I slept pretty late, had breakfast with my son & his fiancée (he goes to work at noon on Fridays), did some laundry, went grocery shopping, and THEN came home and spent two hours in my bathroom bathing, pumicing, plucking, lotioning and relaxing. It wasn’t what I’d call a *Fab* day, but it wasn’t too bad. Then, on Saturday, we headed up to the White Mountains. I actually managed some glorious alone time for about two hours in the afternoon. Took a long walk through the woods, found a sunny spot :goodvibes next to a picturesque little stream and tucked myself in there for a while just listening to the water and watching the dragonflies and the occasional butterfly. Even was visited briefly by a ladybug. Good luck, they say that is. Meditated (Errr...dozed off) a bit. :yoga: Peaceful. Wandered back to rejoin the others at @ suppertime, ate (reasonably), chatted for a bit, and went off to bed where I slept the deep sleep of the righteous – or at least the deep sleep of someone who’s spent the better part of the day outside. Sunday was NOT sunny; it dawned grey and overcast and stayed that way all day long. Helpfully, it wasn’t hot and humid, but rather comfortable, actually. DH & I drove southwest towards Vermont, stopped for a “country breakfast” which proved to be way larger and bulkier (not to mention more calorie-laden) than either he OR I are used to, and we ate very little of it. I had about half of a small blueberry pancake and a sausage patty. The syrup – native Vermont maple – was delicious, but a little bit went a long way. We drove the “scenic” route, and sat on the shore of Lake Kezar, which used to be a prime vacation spot for New Yorkers during the early part of the 19th century. It’s no longer a huge tourist area, and about all that’s left of its former glory are some old faded hotels and guest houses and some historical markers. It was nice, and even without any sun, sitting on the lakeshore reading our books was pleasant. (I am well into South of Broad, and so far, so good). Meandered on in a southerly direction later in the afternoon and hit one good thunder storm, after which the sun came out, making all the water droplets hanging on the leaves of the trees we passed sparkle like miniature rainbows. Stopped for supper at a Mexican Cantina about 20 miles from home. We’ve eaten there before, and it’s always good. I threw caution to the wind (vacation day, after all!) and ordered a chicken fajita with all the fixin’s…and tasted everything (good) but didn’t eat a whole lot). My appetite seems to be curbing itself lately without too much conscious thought on my part. I like that turn of events. YESTERDAY I took my long-delayed “self” day (or, to be more specific, my day-without-DH-breathing-down-my-neck). Went with DD & the twinnies to the park in the morning and had great fun chasing them about as they chased ducks and geese yelling “Quack quack! Quack quack!” Also pushed them on the kiddie swings and watched them climb through various and sundry tubes and tunnels and slide down their little short “baby” slides. After we got back to DD’s house, I ate a little tuna salad sandwich, drank a little iced tea, and then headed down to the lake near our house with my beach chair and book. Spent a pleasantly solitary afternoon reading and soaking up vitamin D. Went home to find DS and DF (dear Fiancee) preparing supper for us all. Yay! Not too shabby a way to end my mini-vacay.
PT, I suspect that the issue of needing “alone time” when DH has an abundance of it, and actually looks forward to my coming home and providing him with some company – ain’t happenin’ anytime soon. It will HAVE to happen as I approach retirement, and I’m hoping that once we’re home together, he’ll recognize his own need for alone time. It’s not like he doesn’t need any – it’s just that he has more of it right now than he knows what to do with. Of course, if this scenario doesn’t play out in time, I may have to handcuff him to a pole outside, or something. :kickbutt:
Rosey and Bobbi – Oh, but I HAVE told him about my need for time to myself. I’ve done it nicely with no results, and I’ve done it not-so-nicely with the same outcome. As Freda noted, they don’t hear what they don’t want to hear. The sad thing is that you can have a perfectly civil conversation about it, explain yourself in a very clear manner, and they will nod their heads sagely, act very understanding and sympathetic – and even assure you that they will make every effort…yadda, yadda, yadda, so on and so forth – and guess what! Nothing changes! Not a thing! :mad:
Nice pics of the grands, Rosey, and I have to agree that you are one heck of a grandmomma to those kids! They’re making memories that they’ll carry with them throughout their whole lives. :hug:
Mary, who is Jane and what party did she do well at? (Don’t mind me; I can’t always keep up witrh everything that goes on here).
Happy Birthday Karen3 :woo: (Hope you’re enjoying your time with DD!!!) and hi to you, Karen31. Snazzy car. You’re moving up in the world. Pool, IPhone, new car…..Lawd have mercy! What’s next? (If it’s a vacation villa in the south of France, I’m coming to visit! Mark me in on your calendar for next February.) What? YES, I mean for the whole month, girl! We’ll have a ball! I’m letting you know in advance so you can stock up on champagne and lobster meat. (I SWEAR I’ll find SOME way to get a little time away from DH yet!!!! :yes:)
Lynn. You okay? I mean, congrats on hitting 155, but I’m not at all happy with how you got there. Any test results? Any relief? I’m thinking of you… :hug:
AND I’m thinking of Isabella! Where IS that woman?????? Isabella are you OKAY????????????????
Have a good day, all!!!!
:grouphug:
Z

Bobbolink 07-27-2010 10:12 AM

Good Morning girls!
It's going to be over 100 degrees again today with the heat index so I'm staying inside to putz.
Zoe...thanks for the idea for supper tonight. I've been hungry for pancakes and I just happen to have blueberries in the fridge. I have real maple syrup too for DH. I usually stick with the low calorie kind.
Quote:

I had about half of a small blueberry pancake and a sausage patty. The syrup – native Vermont maple – was delicious, but a little bit went a long way

Donna...I'd gladly send you some of my cukes, this article was in my email this morning from Dr. Weil:

Quote:

Looking for a low-calorie way to get vitamin C and fiber into your diet? Try cucumbers! These are loaded with vitamin C and fiber, provide vitamin A and magnesium. Their moist flesh makes them cool to the touch and they contain ascorbic acid and caffeic acid, two natural compounds which can help prevent water retention - this is why people place cold cucumber slices on their eyes to help reduce puffiness.
For a simple and refreshing warm-weather drink, add slices of fresh cucumber to ice water.

Rosey...I love seeing the pictures too, cute snowman you all made.
Hi everyone, have a good day!

\

jess1 07-27-2010 10:28 AM

Good Morning, All...
First, a link for 100 best low-carb snacks, and I hope it comes through:
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/inform...dly_Snacks.pdf

Second, Happy Birthday tomorrow to KarenFLO! I'm glad to see that there are a few more names on that Birthday List!

So, PT/Zoe, are you liking South of Broad? I'm reading Outlander. I'm not loving Outlander. Will I be drummed out of the GGGirls??????? I thought his name was Jamie Fraser... so who's this Jamie McTavish she keeps talking about? The whole story is so weird/strange that I'm having trouble with it. I shall persevere, though (I have 6 or 7 more to get through!). I shall persevere!

Nothing here. We're in for another hot one today, then the "monsoons" should arrive for a day or two, dump a lot of water, and then it'll be hot again. I hate summer. I may have mentioned that.

Lynn, I hope you're okay! Isabella, I wish you'd check in! Everyone, hope your day is a good one. I have to shower, get rolling, take Granny (mom) to the grocery store, sweat, swear, and sweat some more! Be cool. Be safe!

ladyinweighting 07-27-2010 05:10 PM

Last week I wrote, “Today, I am taking a friend to the doctor's to learn how to use her blood testing machine. She needs to check her blood to see how much blood thinner she needs to take. Doctor has tried to teach her how to use the machine, but she has not been able to learn. She believes she will be able to learn from me. We will see.”

I never got the chance. I just learned today that she is in ICU. I was supposed to see her yesterday to help her with the machine & could not reach her. When I could not reach her again today, I called the hospital. I was told she was there and was in ICU. I visited her this afternoon & she is in a coma. Seems she fell on Friday and hit her head, was found on Saturday, had surgery on Sunday, and has been in a coma since the surgery.

This friend was also a mentor to me. She helped me at almost every stage of my academic career. It was largely because of her that I got my doctorate and my job at ETS.

Of anyone I know, she would MOST HATE being in ICU. Her last gift to me was a subscription to a society for folks who choose to end their lives when the time comes.

If you would say a prayer for my friend, please pray that her suffering will end quickly. She would NOT want her life to be prolonged by machinery.

She has an advance directive, but the family was told that because of new PA laws, the hospital has the option of doing procedures despite what is stated in the advance directive.

Lynn

maryea 07-27-2010 07:49 PM

We spent most of the morning outside, my dh sitting in the sunshine while I mowed the lawns and watered plants. Then I took him out in the garden area and he helped me harvest the onions. He likes to be included as then he doesn't feel so isolated from all his usual activities. He is now able to bend more easily so can do more. We also went to the part of the yard I am most uncomfortable with...where we have lots of those creeping vines and high weeds that we have to keep after or they might take over:(...they have always kinda freaked me out LOL and he showed me how he cuts them back..of course he started doing it and even though I told him to not go any further down our little path (it's roughed up with age and I was concerned about his possibly falling), the next thing I know he's 1/2 way down it continuing to cut back those dreaded vines! LOL Seems like whenever I turn my back he tries to do things on his own! He misses the yard work so much. It was fun working together in the yard...something we normally don't do...and we both enjoyed it. He said he feels we have grown even closer through this "bump" in life and I agree. At almost 48 years I didn't think we could grow closer but we have.

Then we went to Lowes for some lightbulbs. Weren't really successful as one kind we thought was on sale was not and another we bought wasn't the right size we found when we got home. But he did manage to get some screws to fix a shelf in our fridge. I told him to let it go for now but he is sure he can fix it and I'm sure he can. Hopefully he can do it sitting down. He is just missing his handyman role. Oh and we got some gas for the mower. I wasn't strong enough to get it to flow into the container but luckily the attendant was there to help me.

I'm trying to stick to 10 carb servings a day but not being very successful at it. I can do 12 pretty easily but 10 is hard for me. But at least my trying makes me more careful and I'm keeping my calories down even though I usually come in at over 10 carb servings.

Lynn - So sorry to hear about your friend! I have prayed for her and will continue. Keep us informed on how she is doing. How about you...are you feeling any better?

Ellabella - I hope my appetite drops a bit one of these days. That would really help me keep OP!

the slim me 07-28-2010 08:37 AM

Good Morning,

I was supposed to work today but got called with a L/C day. Not that I mind, but they can still call me in at 3 for the last 4 hours. Not good. It's warmer out again. Not too bad but when you're sitting out in a field watching kids play soccer for 3 hours it gets a bit much. I cover myself with my big umbrella and that helps some.

Mary, your husband will be up and around in no time. I know how frustrating it is not to be able to do what you want. I was there not long ago. Since he is not doing any exercise now, you might want to suggest hand weights to keep his upper body strong. It's amazing how quickly you lose your muscle tone.

Lynn, I'm a nurse and i never heard of a machine to monitor leavels for coumadin. I thought you still had to go in for lab draws. What Will they think of next. It would be a handly little thing to have. I can't believe that PA laws excludes her Advanced Directive. Do the doctors think that she won't come out of the coma?

Donna, Count me as another one that is not overly fond of summer. I hate hot weather!!! Hate it!!! 80 is plenty hot enough, thank you very much!

Bobbi, Thanks for the article on cukes. I had no idea they had any nutritional value at all. Of course when you put them in sour cream that kind of takes most of the neutritional value away. But so good.

Rosie, Love the snow men. The kids love to do crafts. Do you have directions for those? It looks like something the kids are old enough to do and they would make nice little gifts for the neighbors.

Z, I think we are in the same boat. Since my husband is no longer working he wants to be with me more. He has plenty of alone time. I would even relish the one day a week. Now I sneak an hour here and there when I can.

Eveyone, make it a good day,

Freda

ladyinweighting 07-28-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 3407049)
I'm trying to stick to 10 carb servings a day but not being very successful at it. I can do 12 pretty easily but 10 is hard for me. But at least my trying makes me more careful and I'm keeping my calories down even though I usually come in at over 10 carb servings.

Lynn - So sorry to hear about your friend! I have prayed for her and will continue. Keep us informed on how she is doing. How about you...are you feeling any better?

Hi Mary,

What is a carb "serving?" I try to stick to 40 g of carbs/day. This is like my protein bar in the morning and 1 sl of bread or 1 sweet potato. I use LOTS of Splenda and make things that are VERY low carb. I don't count veggies & if I have fruit, I have 1/2 a piece. Of course, I cheat a couple of times/week.

I am still having urgency sensation, but less. Intestinal problems are just about gone. Taking an antibiotic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 3407681)
Lynn, I'm a nurse and i never heard of a machine to monitor leavels for coumadin. I thought you still had to go in for lab draws. What Will they think of next. It would be a handly little thing to have. I can't believe that PA laws excludes her Advanced Directive. Do the doctors think that she won't come out of the coma? Freda

Hi Freda,

Between 2004 and 2006, when I was caring for my DH, I had one of the machines at home. Had to go through training to use it. My DF's machine is different from the one we had.

As far as I can tell (some confusion among family accounts), she IS expected to come out of coma, but NOT expected to function normally. I think this is the problem with the AD. Seems like it only goes into effect if person is NOT EXPECTED to recuperate.

Really seems like there is confusion among her family and doctors. I am not sure what the real story is.

Lynn

akrosey49 07-28-2010 02:35 PM

Morning everyone..i had a very lazy day yesterday..and enjoyed it..i count carbs too..as i was told by my diabetic nut. a serving of carbs is 15 grms..i read my labels and subtract the fiber of a food item from the carbs and get the net carb ..im allowed 30 grms aday on this crazy diet..thats 2 servings..so its really restricted and its really hard to stay with those numbers..there are carbs in everything..i have a carb counting diet book and if the label on the food item doesnt give me the carb count i can look it up..yesterday i had ablow it day,, not to badly tho but i did eat pizza for lunch..sometimes you just have to :yes: freda the snow men are easy..if you want to know how let me know.. if you have a glue gun easy peasy..lynn am sry about your friend,am glad u are feeling a little better..jess sry you are not liking outlander i loved the story and couldnt put them down..hoping you all have agreat day ttfn rosey :wave:

Bobbolink 07-28-2010 03:39 PM

Hey Everyone.....I had printer problems this morning. I changed my printer ink and the alignment failed. Couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled the whole printer from my computer and re-installed it. Still didn't work:mad: So I went into Wal*Mart and purchased a new printer that uses the same #60 ink since DH just purchased a black/colored combo $32.97. Got the new printer home, installed it and same problem, I couldn't align the printer. So I ran back into town with the printer and they tried to align it, no luck. Finally I said maybe the new ink cartridge is corrupt, they replaced it and now it worked. So I purchased a new printer for nothing, the old one just had a corrupt new ink cartridge. I decided to keep the new one since it was newer and had a wireless option, maybe sell the old one on a rummage sale. I hate having computer problems, DH doesn't know much about installing things. They had a computer guy that worked full time at his company and he took care of all the problems. How about you gals that have spouses, do you take care of your computer problems yourself? Please say YES! I don't want to be the lone computer duffer.
Below is a recipe for vegetarians but can be enjoyed by all with a few moderations. I'd cut down on the olive oil and use FF Feta.

Quote:

California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Rated: 5 Stars
"For a smoky and sumptuous veggie-filled grilled sandwich, try this easy recipe. All it takes is some veggies, focaccia bread, lemon-mayonnaise dressing, and crumbled feta."
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 cup olive oil
1 cup sliced red bell peppers
1 small zucchini, sliced 1 red onion, sliced
1 small yellow squash, sliced
2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces,
split horizontally
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches

ladyinweighting 07-28-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 3406174)
Good Morning, All...
First, a link for 100 best low-carb snacks, and I hope it comes through:
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/inform...dly_Snacks.pdf

I'm not loving Outlander. Will I be drummed out of the GGGirls??????? I thought his name was Jamie Fraser... so who's this Jamie McTavish she keeps talking about? The whole story is so weird/strange that I'm having trouble with it. I shall persevere, though (I have 6 or 7 more to get through!). I shall persevere!

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the link. I will make use of that.

If not loving Outlander gets us kicked out, I have to go with you. I have tried reading her books several times - never got through 1.

Lynn

ladyinweighting 07-28-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 3408548)
How about you gals that have spouses, do you take care of your computer problems yourself? Please say YES! I don't want to be the lone computer duffer.

Hi Bobbi,

I don't have a spouse, but I also don't take care of most computer problems. I call the Geek Squad.

Lynn