Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #1  
Oregonian

S/C/G: 178/173/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Gluten-Free

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and just getting started with a serious quest for a better me.

I really like the Sonoma Diet concept, though I'm not a good follower of popular diet trends. I am, though, gluten-intolerant, and need to stay away from wheat, barley, and rye. Whole grains are important, so I struggle to get enough of them on a daily basis. Right now, gluten-free oats (steel-cut preferred) are a favorite morning meal. But I need snacks before lunch. Celery with almond butter is a good one. Then salad and grilled chicken breast for lunch. Dinner is similar to lunch.

Has anyone else lost weight while following a gluten-free diet? I need good snack ideas and also whole-grain options as well!

Thanks!
1kwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I am also gluten sensitive, intolerant, celiac, I don't know, I will figure it out better when I have health care. Right now I am just avoiding all gluten.
You need to find quinoa, which although is a seed has many benefits.

I am not extremely sensitive and I still eat some foods that might have 'may contain traces of wheat' labels. I don't do this a lot but every now and then I haven't found any problems with it. So I really enjoy Luna bars as they don't use wheat.

You could also look at the website celiac.org for information and ideas.

It is nice to know that I am not alone in this specific area. I have ditched many diet plans because the meal plans ALL include wheat and have no options for wheat free.
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

Welcome to the boards! There are several threads regarding gluten free WOE, and to find them all, just click on the Search link which you will see above in the purple bar at the top of this page. Type in the words "gluten free" and there you go!

One of our most successful moderators, Mel, is gluten-free. She has maintained for over 8 years! Proof positive that it can be done.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/188/145

Height: 5ft 3 in

I'm gluten and sugar free and have lost weight. I'm happy because I feel better, have lost the fungus (sorry to gross everyone out with these gory details) on my nails and the crust on my elbows. They look great! and I feel good.
Good luck.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #5  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

does anyone in here suffer from hives as a side effect of gluten? i'm having a terrible time trying to figure out what causing my hives. i believe it's wheat related in some way, or possibly starch?
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 259

Height: 5'6

Default i too have crusty elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo View Post
I'm gluten and sugar free and have lost weight. I'm happy because I feel better, have lost the fungus (sorry to gross everyone out with these gory details) on my nails and the crust on my elbows. They look great! and I feel good.
Good luck.
my mom used to put my elbows in lemon halves thinking it would bleach it and then she used to scrub it with ajaxs ouch!!! so is that what caused it? foods i eat
october5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #7  
Oregonian

S/C/G: 178/173/145

Hives? Yes! That is initially what led to my discovery of the gluten intolerance. It was on my elbows, hips, knees, under my bra-line (sorry). The physician suggested I give up gluten to see if it cleared up, and bingo! I also noticed that I didn't have any more bloating. Yay! I was never officially tested or diagnosed (who wants celiac disease on their medical record since there is no actual cure?), but operate as though I do have it. Not severely. Just enough to where I should avoid it.
1kwords is offline   Reply With Quote