Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #16  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before.

- Steve Young

Who do you compete against?

Do you hold yourself to the standards of others, wishing you could be better than the next guy? Maybe it motivates you, but an even better method is trying to be better than yourself. How about pushing yourself each day to eat better or to walk longer after dinner? Goal setting is a great way to "compete" against yourself. You select the end result that you want and then it's up to you--and only you--to work for those goals. You'll be pushing yourself toward greatness, not creating unnecessary competition against others who can't compare to you.
This article rings so true for me, I've always had great success in losing weight. I document every morsel I put in my mouth on Fitday and it's so rewarding at night to see I stayed within my daily goal. I make a game out of resisting treats on Sunday afternoons at my dads where we all congregate, it gives me a high!
Hi Freda...nice to hear from you.
Susann...That would definitely work for me, my MIL was/is slim and a very classy dresser. I was always concious of my looks when around her. (Not any more, yesterday she asked what my name was, she forgot)
Quote:
She recently moved to our city, and in the move and unpacking and rearranging furniture over and over, she has dropped 20 lbs. Now, tell me, do you think that I can let her get away with that? NOOOOO, lol. So, I decided I better get started too.
Meowee & Karen31, we had snow here too, winter just doesn't want to let up this year.
Hi Kate...What part of the country are you from, U.S., Canada?
Lynn...Go ahead, hit me in the head.
Quote:
Hi Bobbi,

Try searching for "McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning" WITH the quotation marks.

A little light went off in my head and I checked my spices, I have the McCormick Grill Mates Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning right here. duh..........I'm sure I could substitute ground elk instead of chicken and use the montreal spice that I already have for the sausage recipe.

Isabella...you motivate me! You sign up for everything and are so dedicated in posting regardless of what your weight is.
Hi anyone I missed, it's so nice to be able to chat this morning. I get to stay home today, nothing to do but take care of myself.
How many of you watch Biggest Losers? Lynn, I know you mentioned it, who would you have voted off this week? I would have like to see Ron voted off a long time ago but he helps keep his son there and I would like to see either Mike or Tara win.
I'm making a new recipe for meat loaf that has lemon slices on the top for supper, it's from the allrecipe site. I love making new recipes, that reminds me, I still have to post the 'Crispy Cornmeal Scones'. I'll do that now..............see ya!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....It's still morning when I started to type this anyway! Am in the middle of defrosting the freezer which is as exciting as paint drying. Sorry you are still getting winter It's almost 80 here and am sweating. We have heavy clouds and you'd swear it was raining.(Not)

hi Kate...welcome! I have spent a life time trying every diet invented and the best thing that happened to me was South Beach diet and Golden Chicks. They are always ready with support and encourage.

My biggest motivator right now is I gave away all my fat clothes and after gaining those 2lbs last week and will have to go around in a toga. Boy now that will be an ugly sight!

Sofa came...love it but is darker here than in the store so DH is slowly adjusting....

Back to the freezer.........hugs, Karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #18  

Height: 5'1"

Hi again,

Lynn, I had read the same thing about the need to do some kind of activity every 3 hours. So now if i'm just setting around watching tv or something equally brainless, I will either do jumping jacks or jump rope untill winded. Which is not long! ha You can do anything you want, just move. 5 min. of step arobics is another thing I do.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 237/224/145

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone

Bobbi: My heart is with you in placing your MIL in an Alzheimer unit. During my career as a social worker I had to place patients in Alzheimer units, when there was no family involved. It' more than a challenge.
Karen3: I like your idea of giving away your fat clothes.
Lynn: I'm all for joining you and Karen is finding exercises to do in front of TV and computer. I keep my legs moving, flex my fingers (I do a lot of typing), knee exercises, stretches.
Freda: I don't like sitting on the sidelines either.
Sueann: Grandchildren fill my heart with so much love also. Their unconditional love is truly welcome after raising teenagers.
SaltWaterFarm: Congratulations on getting down to 222.
Retiredone: Great on starting the circuit workout. Taking that first step is a good feeling.
Meowee: The accountability thread has helped me too and to see how other people are doing. I'm totally with you at how nice it is to be able to stay home during bad weather.

I'm 56 years old, and a retired social worker. I was/am a widow of two sons. I raised sons alone from the time they were 10 and 11, so I'm very happy to finally be retired and have my sons living on their own. I miss that life sometimes, but my life is definitely better now.
My goal is to publish my first book. While I was working, I had a couple of small articles published, so it's nice to be retired now so I can write full time.
What keeps me motivated in losing weight is that I'm just tired of the whole thing associated with gaining weight: All the cooking, all the cleaning, all the shopping, worrying about my health, the wasted money on food and restaurants. Luckily, I've been somewhat active my whole life with one thing or another and I stayed away from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs, so I'm in good health, except for high blood pressure.
The best thing that's happened since turning 50 is a long list, but most of all I feel very lucky I can stand at the window and enjoy watching the rain or snow.
Hello to anybody I may have missed.
Jada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #20  

Morning everyone..so glad to catch up on all your posts..my laptop is sick so until its fixed im using dh computer..our Mt Redoubt erupted again and this time we did get ash fallout..what a mess but it snowed that night and covered it up..its erupted 18 times in the last 2 weeks..im longing for spring.our daylight hours are increasing but the snows still here..what keeps me motivated is 3fc,and remembering how close i came to not being here last year..3 surg,4 1/2 months in a hospital,rehab,and learning to walk again,being diabetic,wheelchair bound etc gets your attention right quick..im thankfull for family and friends that helped and just happy to be here..i dont take anything for granted and find pleasure in the smallest things..life takes on new meaning when u almost loose it..it also makes me pay attention to what i eat..and altho loosing is not as easy i still strive for it and control my diabetes..every day is a gift and thats how i look at it.. the best thing since turning 50 is saying and doing and wearing what i want and being retired and having the time to pursue my hobbies etc and not worring so much about what others may think..what a great idea to share these thoughts thanks everyone u make my day brighter....ttfn and have agreat day ((((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 04-02-2009 at 01:41 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #21  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy April everyone

Lynn ~ I read one time ~ I think it was someone on here ~ another 3FC - that she marched in place while watching TV ~ it sort of sticks in my mind that she was one who had had good success and lost a lot of weight, so I felt like if that was one of the things she did and she was successful, it was probably a helpful thing to do.

Rosey ~ you were asking about exercises you could do from your wheelchair ~ I saw a program on the PBS channel ~ sit and be fit ~ maybe that would be of help to you.

Welcome to you new ladies ~ hello to everyone else

Three nights off work~ yippee!!!

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 04-02-2009 at 03:55 PM.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
How many of you watch Biggest Losers? Lynn, I know you mentioned it, who would you have voted off this week? I would have like to see Ron voted off a long time ago but he helps keep his son there and I would like to see either Mike or Tara win.
I absolutely agree. Ron can go - Tara should win. Mike is a sweetheart & I am SO happy to see him making changes in his life at an early age.

Felt sorry for the 2 young blonde boys. Wish they could also have stayed at the Ranch.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

OK - who wants to join in the "every-3-hours-jump-around-in-front-of-the-tv" Challenge?

I'm in & will start tonight. I'll keep track of my success on the April Accountability thread.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I did it! I jumped in the pool and did the whole exercise program. Admit I inched in at 72 degrees, it was a slow inching. But I feel wonderful and even taller. Karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #25  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello everyone. I've had a long day. I was finishing off the "Thank You" notes for my MIL. First I made 24 extra thank you notes on my computer because I couldn't find any inexpensive ones when I was shopping yesterday. They were all very expensive so I decided to make them as close as I could to the ones that the funeral home gave us. Then I couldn't find any envelopes to fit so I took one apart from the "real" notes and used that as a pattern and made the envelopes. They turned out very nice and probably no one would guess I made them. Then I finished writing the notes inside the cards. So many people dropped off food or put a few dollars in a sympathy card that it had to be done. I also put a "Note of Thanks" in the local paper and low and behold it was published today with my name on it as if I was the deceased!!! I hope people read it because it was definitely my FIL that passed away and not me. Somebody goofed at the newspaper. They are going to reprint it in Monday's paper with my late FIL's name at the top instead of mine. I'm glad to be alive, thank you. In between all this I made dinner and packed a lunch for DS for tomorrow and made a no bake cheese cake for the weekend. I even got the dishes washed but DH did them at lunch time (bless his heart). I didn't think I'd get in any exercise but I climbed on my bike just after 9 pm and peddled away for an hour watching "Survivor." Haven't watched that at all this season so wasn't sure what was going on except each season is surprisingly the same.

Time for a paragraph break, ha, ha. Mom has been much better this week. I guess she didn't get enough attention from me last week with all the funeral things going on. Tomorrow I'll do her hair again. She loves getting her hair washed and set. She was quite glamorous in her day in a homey sort of way. Always had gorgeous hair and still does. Everyone comments on it, even strangers.

I don't think I ever really answered the question as to what motivates me to lose/keep weight off. There were and are several reasons. I suppose the most important one is health. I don't have any of the diseases that we generally associate with aging such as diabetes or heart disease and I'd like to keep it that way or at least do what I can. But even though health is important I like buying new and stylish clothing that I couldn't fit into a year ago. And to top it all off I don't have anymore "fat" clothes left in my closet except for the dress I wore to DS's wedding five and a half years ago and I'm not wearing that anymore. I don't have lots of clothing because I'm not working so my needs are few. I have one pair of jeans, 2 pair of cords, one pair of black dress pants, a few tops and blouses and lots of t-shirts. I also have nice church clothing and exercise pants and shorts. I also have youngest DS's wedding in July and I want something really nice to wear.

OK, it's time to go to bed. Good night. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 138/131/100 (kg)

Height: 1.67cm

My daughter is my #1 motivation for losing weight. I don't want to embarrass her in front of her friends anymore.
Motivation #2 has to be my horses. Although I am riding again, I feel soooo guilty exptecting them to carry me. And then of course, the comment that his saddle might be hurting him! My friend is far too polite to say, hey, you are still too heavy. So I am not going to ride any of my horses untill I reach a decent weight.
This site has also helped me a lot. I can't wait to get my weight counter! And just reading through the posts helps me by knowing that I am not alone in the fat busting business.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 186/167/140

Height: 5'

Hello Lila, I don't think we've met, glad you are here, welcome to the YOU CAN DO CLUB!!! lol. We're all winners here!

Good Morning girlies,

Yesterday was a busy day for me, and I forgot to eat most of the day...yeah!! I only got to walk, didn't do any work out before bus route, but up bright and early this am to get started.

Everyone have a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend!

Susann
susannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

YAY! Down 2 pounds this week! Could this be the start of something good??
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #29  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
Isabella...you've been a busy girl! I make all my own cards on the computer and everyone seems to appreciate them, I always put the birthday person's picture on the front of the card. I have two different card programs installed, the American Greeting card is the one I use the most.
Susann...how long is your bus route? Do you drive one of those monster buses or smaller ones? I wouldn't be gutsy enough to drive a school bus in Minnesota winters. I don't even like driving my car in the winter.
Karen3...why don't you just jump in and get the initial shock over with. Every winter we have people jump into the lake (they chop a hole in the ice), then warm up in a hot tub to raise money for special olympics. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Glynn, Jada and Rosey...Hi, nice hearing from you again.
Lynn...I must have missed something, what's this about? If you sit in front of the t.v. or computer chair for 3 hours straight? I love challenges but maybe I wouldn't qualify. I never sit still that long in one place.
Quote:
OK - who wants to join in the "every-3-hours-jump-around-in-front-of-the-tv" Challenge?

Congrats Karen31 on the 2 pound weight loss.
Hi Lila...wow, you're from South Africa! I don't understand your weight system, at first I thought you were a teeny, weeny person, then I noticed it wasn't pounds. Happy to have you among us.
Quote:
Motivation #2 has to be my horses. Although I am riding again, I feel soooo guilty exptecting them to carry me. And then of course, the comment that his saddle might be hurting him! My friend is far too polite to say, hey, you are still too heavy. So I am not going to ride any of my horses untill I reach a decent weight.

I posted the recipe for cornmeal scones, I don't dare make them since I started back on counting calories. I don't want any temptations around.
You all have a great day.
P.S. There is not a cloud in the sky but................... we suppose to have 6-13 inches of snow and high winds over the week-end. Here we go again!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 04-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #30  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Lila and welcome. You're in the right place whether you're losing pounds or kilos.

Karen31, I hope your 2 pound loss bodes well for the rest of us also. I love 2 lb losses.

Karen3 and Bobbi, my niece did a polar bear dip this winter. Brrrrr. I'd take a Florida swimming pool at any temperature than the frigid North Atlantic.

Bobbi, I'm so tempted to make those cornmeal scones. They sound delicious but I'm like you-afraid I'd eat them. But maybe I'll make them for a family dinner where there are more than 2 people to eat. DS, DIL and Baby will be here for Easter so I may keep them in mind for then.

Susan, don't forget to eat!!! Ha, ha, I've had days like that especially when I was working.

Today I had the most awesome dinner. I went to bed hungry thinking I'd like to have lentils for dinner today. Yes, lentils. So today I used about half a pound of green/brown lentils in a casserole dish. I covered them with water about 2 or 3 inches above the lentils and put in a bouillon cube. I used a vegetarian beef flavor. I baked them for an hour and added sauteed onions, mushroom and peppers and about 1/2 cup instant brown rice (any kind of rice would do) and about a teaspoon dried savory. I added a little more water and baked an additional half hour until the rice was very tender. So delicious. I know why Esau sold his birthright for a pot of lentils. Then I made a carrot salad with shredded carrots, chopped dates, crushed pineapple and a dressing of mayo and peanut butter. I finished off the meal with roasted potatoes. Oh, my it was so good I could do it all over again. Everything was pretty low fat except for the salad dressing.

Well, have a good day. I might weigh in tomorrow and see how things are on the scales.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote