Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi everyone,
Jen-Have a great time for all of us.

Jay -yes, I have two sisters and my Dad in Naples. I also have a brother in Ft. Lauderdale. My Dad was telling me how cold it was in Florida. I just laughed.

CD- Your exercise routine is amazing. I've been really working on my elliptical and at lunch time- I'm doing a work out video. It's less intense than most video, but it keeps me out of the lunchroom.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #17  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

When I first got up, it ddefinitely felt like it was Saturday -- when you are an ORF, one day is more or less the same as every other. Maybe I'm trying to rush the rest of this winter along. Do you think?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #18  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Lori - thanks! I admire anyone that can do an elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc. I have a really hard time doing repetitive things. I can handle the multi-station weight machine since you change exercises frequently. Kudos to you!!!

I have come to believe that - while intensity is good, there is far too much emphasis put on it. At our age, consistency is more important - just do something! Intensity will come along eventually. And even if it doesn't, at least you are getting some exercise.

Linda - I hear ya! The sun was out today and it ALMOST felt - just a little bit - like spring!

Have a great weekend all!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey folks,

meowee, you've been in the snow too long if you're thinking of yourself as an ORF.

Well, my trainer did me in today. It wasn't all that bad, but a lot of it was "core work," and it gets you really deep! The exercises are interesting in that while you're busy concentrating on the part that is moving, you're not noticing that those core muscles are doing things... then later, you find out! I'm not too sore... yet... but I definitely knew I got a workout.

I think tomorrow has to be my day off from the gym... I'll see how I feel...

And that brings me to intensity. I think intensity is a good thing, but each person has to set their own level based on what's happening in their body. Obviously I am not going to be able to do step class like the 20-somethings for awhile yet! On the other hand, I was thinking about a woman I used to work with long ago. This was in the 80s when group classes for aerobics were just beginning to be popular. She would go to aerobics class, but every time she started to break a sweat, she would stop exercising! Well... it's one thing if you're out of breath, but she said it was just that she "didn't like to sweat."

What do you folks think about that? I always thought that if you weren't exerting enough to begin sweating, you probably weren't getting much out of the activity.

I think things may warm up here this weekend. It's been sunny, though!

Jay
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #20  

I think that sweat is a good thing! I used to be one of those folk that hated to sweat. Now, I love it. It makes me feel like I am really doing some good.

That being said, I had to work up to my current level of intensity. For way too many years, I felt I couldn't do things at a high level, so I did nothing at all. I owe my current success, AND being able to really re-shape my body, to starting with very moderate exercise - walking mostly. I slowly added in weights, then yoga, then aerobic dance, then pilates, and then the Wii.

I continue to challenge myself, by adding in heavier weights, or more reps. I can only do 18 regular pushups, but that is 18 more than when I started.

I think that exercising to meet your goals is the key. Different goals require different levels of intensity

Do you want to maintain or increase your fitness level?
Do you want to reshape/sculpt certain areas of your body?
Is exercise part of a weight loss plan? (are you counting on burning xxx calories per day?)

I've seen way too many folk start an aggressive plan and give up quickly. It burns them out, they suffer an injury from going to far to fast, or they just get bored or hate every minute of it.

I think (like with everything else) it is a balancing act for most of us. We learn what works for us through trial and error. Jay is really successful going to a gym and working out. That doesn't work for me at all. But both of us are successful because we have found what DOES work and what we can continue doing for the long haul.

My, I'm preachy today, aren't I?
off

On a lighter note and long story short - I'm looking for a used tuba/euphonium. If anyone hears of one becoming available ...

Gotta fly - way too much to do today. I spent the morning doing our taxes and the FAFSA for DS2. Very happy that is DONE, but it has put me way behind schedule!

Hope you all have a productive/fun weekend!

Laurie
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 237/224/145

This forum sounds great. I just joined tonight. I'm committed to walking 45 minutes daily, and watching my calories. I read where joining an on-line message board will help my goal of healthy eating. I want to give my support also. As for the super bowl, I did fine.
237/237/150
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #22  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi, Jada1! Glad to have you! I try to walk every day also--it's a great way to get started.

Counting Down, I can only do 10 women's-style pushups, so you've got me beat for all of my gym time.

I think many people make the mistake of thinking that "exercise" has to be this drastic level of effort that they remember from high school gym class. So they jump right into something too hard, they don't make sure they have the right shoes, they don't get any training or orientation... and like you say, they get injured or they burn out. We see a lot of such people here on 3FC.

It's just not necessary to go that far to increase fitness and fat-burning.

And it also depends on age and lifestyle! If a person is sedentary and has been that way for 5, 10, 20 years or more, then it's really a mistake to jump into high-level exercise.

We're going to a movie today--Slumdog Millionaire. I hear it's quite good. I hope I like it. Has anyone else seen it? No spoilers, now...

After that we're going to lunch. My friend wants to go to Cracker Barrel. This is kind of a danger zone... and they don't have any nutrition information on line, but I can pretty much figure out just how bad it is... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jay
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #23  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

And a rousing Good Morning to all . . .
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #24  

Jada Glad you found us! I like to walk too. I'm a fair weather walker, and do DVDs and my Wii in the winter.

Jay - give is a movie review when you get back. I haven't been to a movie in years - I used to mystery shop a DVD rental chain, but I haven't even done that in about 3 years.
As far a Cracker Barrel goes - I either order from the sides menu, the kids menu or get the egg sandwich - no mayo. Scrambled egg on sourdough with tomato isn't too bad - but just say NO to the hashbrown casserole. That stuff is dangerous!

The sun is shinging here, and we lost a lot of our snow yesterday. YIPEEE! Today is DS1's bday, so we will spend a chunk of today on the phone with him.

As far as the pushups go - 6 months ago, I couldn't hardly do one regular pushup. DH has vowed to add one every time he has a birthday - thus, he does 51 in a set. I decided that I did need to work on my upper body strength, so it has been a focus for the last 6 months. It is paying off - though I'm afraid my "bat wings" are here to stay. Too old, too much fat for too many years. But, at least I know that there are some serious tricep muscles underneath

Enjoy this fine Sunday! I'm off to get some cooking done for the week ahead
Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to all--Welcom Jada,

This has been an interesting discussion on exercise. I agree with Jay and Laurie that if you don't work up a sweat your intensity is not where it should be. You do need to work up to it, though. I defintely work to high intensity on my elliptical. I watch some old comedies to keep my mind busy while I work out. I used to watch the news, but that's just too stressful given our current economic situation.

At work I can't get all sweaty, but I want to get in some activity so I work on a low intensity video for 20-25 mins. I try to combine both worlds. I still need to work on weights. I used to belong to a gym, but just can't find the money right now.

Yeah, it's starting to warm up, spring is still a ways away, but you know it's coming.

Laurie- a few months back you referred to a calorie counting web site. I thought it was something different than Fit day. Do you still use it?

have a great day!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey again! Well, my friend and I skipped Cracker Barrel and went to Chili's instead, where I do know a couple of things on the menu that I can have without fear.

I predict Slumdog Millionaire will be Best Picture of the Year. It's certainly worth that. Many things that happen in the movie are intense and difficult, but it is so well made, and the story is so compelling!

See you all tomorrow!

Jay
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #27  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was active all day with walking at the park or watching the ducks and running errands. In an earlier post, Jay mentioned how important it is to wear the right shoes, and I can attest to that. I just recently finally bought the right shoes after feeling the deterioration of my left knee. It was getting to the point where the next step was to ask my doctor for rehab to stop my limping (which is not normal for me). Today, all day, I was able to get out of my car multiple times without being in pain. Sorry to be boring. It was ecstactic for me to find out my problem was that I was just wearing the wrong shoes.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #28  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Jada1, I had the same thing happen to me years ago--it was both knees. I thought something terrible must be happening, and I was only in my 20s. But it was only worn-out shoes without the right support.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-09-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #29  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all,

Haven't been around for awhile. Family health problems. It was almost nice here this weekend. The sun was shining and the wind was blowing. Melted most of the snow and dried things up a bit.

I agree with all that has been said about exercise. It's a must to get the weight off and keep it off. an for health too. Start slow and build up. Don't try to do too much at first, you could cause some injury and use that as an excuse to quit.

Laurie, You do 18 full body push up's? You must have some serious muscle thre! I do sissy push up's and not that many of them!

Jay, The Cracker Barrel has some good vegetable platters. That is what I usually get when I go there. I've actually never looked at their calorie counts. probably don't want to know. At least with the vegetables I tell my self that it's half way healthy.

Flo, have you looked at SparksPeople for calorie counts an diet guide? they have a pretty good one too.

Jada, Welcome. it does help to have someone to talk to and get advice from and share the victories and sometimes get you back on tract! I'm sure you will like it here.

Freda
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #30  

It was cold and windy today, so I went window shopping to get my walking in. For the past couple of months I have been consciously trying to be aware of the foods I'm addicted to and just not buying it. For instance, instead of buying regular bread, I just buy sour dough, because I can control myself with it, and yet still enjoy it. I don't know if it's healthy or not, but I figure it's healthier than eating a whole loaf of regular bread within two days.
A clap of hands to everyone for doing so well in committing themselves to their goals. I, for one, don't think it's an easy thing to do. But I believe it can be done and your all excellent role models to help me see, for sure, that it can be done. I will do it, I will do it, I will do it. And I will enjoy myself doing it.
Closed Thread