Old 11-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223.8/193/150

Height: 5'3"

Default What diet/exercise plan do you follow?

Hi,

I am new. I have done every diet ever invented and just cannot stick to anything. I would like to lose 80#. I was just wondering which plan you all have found works for you.

I have recently joined WW, been sick this past week and have eaten everything in site. I normally feel/do better on lower carb diets, and may do SB, but attend WW meetings for support.

Any advice - I just recently found out I have hypothyroid and just started on medication for that.

Thanks!
Lynn
basketsbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Lynn,
Weclome!! Glad you joined us!

I calorie count. Like you, I've tried a lot of different plans. Through 3FC I finally realized that I needed to give up dieting and make some lifestyle changes that I could do for the rest of my life. I'm just too old to have to keep losing the same lbs. over and over and over.

Thus, I started making small changes - portion control and logging everything I ate (Fitday). I then started eating cleaner (whole foods instead of processed ones), and added more protein and more veggies. Slowly, I tweaked the plan until I found what worked for me.

I still make minor tweaks as I go through maintenance - I'm trying to find my maintenance level of calories, for instance.

I think WW is a good plan - it is similar to calorie counting and is something you can do long term.

I recommend that you also add in exercise, it has made a huge difference for me along this journey. Start small - it doesn't have to be over the top - maybe a walk every day? Then add in some strength training. I love to alternate among pilates, yoga, fitness ball, stretchie band & weights. It keeps me from getting bored and has been a wonderful way to build strength and flexibility.

And - whatever you try - don't be afraid to tweak along the way - if something doesn't work, keep adjusting until you find what does.

You CAN do this!!!

I look forward to getting to know you And - congrats on the 4lb loss so far
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7

Dear Counting Down,

Just read your story and saw your pics....what an inspiration....you look so fit and toned! Woo-hoo!

May I ask what is your exercise plan?

Thanks so much,
thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Thank you thinkerbell (I love your screen name)!

I started slowly with walking every day. Then, I slowly added in light weights 3 days a week. From there, I realized that I needed some variety to my workouts to keep me from getting bored and quiting.

I started buying (used and online) workout DVDS to add in some variety and work different muscles. I now have a nice library (16 months after starting) of routines.

I do 30 minutes in the morning (5 days a week) alternating among yoga, pilates, fitness ball, and weights/resistance band workouts. This works great for me, because each morning I ask myself what I feel like doing - that way, I have no excuses.

I also try to do a cardio workout 3-4 days a week. This is either walking or dance. In the summer, I walk to work. In the winter I use WATP and dance videos. I have two left feet, but I really enjoy the dancing. It is fun and makes me laugh. And laughter is good for the soul

The key is to start small, and work at your own pace. But - START! In the past, I always thought I would exercise AFTER I lost the weight. What a blessing that I started at 215 lbs. When I hit goal - I had muscles - even DH is impressed! And - this 50 something can do push ups! I couldn't do push ups when I was 20
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Wecome and good luck! I have done all the diets, too and have found calorie counting works best for me. It is non restrictive, flexible, reliable and free. It is a plan that you can carry over to maintainance to keep those pounds off for good.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #6  
Snowberry: Junior Member

S/C/G: 193/188/140

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I count calories and try to watch carbs. I feel better also when I eat less carbs. And it's easier for me to stick to this when I add more veggies. I've found if I make homemade soup and put lots of veggies in it works well. I use the boxed chicken broth for a base. Welcome to the forum.
fdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223.8/193/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the input!

I am going to follow WW plan (sticking to it this time ),and start some exercise like you all suggested. I belong to a gym, but never seem to have time to go. I have a ton of videos, so I believe I will cancel my gym membership and workout at home. I was glad to see that you all workout at home instead of a gym.

Thanks again!
basketsbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've done very well with South Beach. It made sense to me and is a very healthy way to eat...since diabetes runs in my family, this woe should help prevent that. I love it since I love to eat and love to cook. I'm just eating and cooking in a different way now and feel so healthy.
I also work out at the gym before work every morning. I really didn't start that till the bulk of my weight was gone, but now could not imagine starting the day without it. (this from a former slug!)

Last edited by femmecreole; 11-27-2008 at 07:05 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote