Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Question PMS After the 'M' is gone? (TMI warning)

Anyone else still dealing with PMS type symptoms long after menopause?

If I didn't know better, I'd say I was about to hit TOM. It's been 2 years since my last "real" one (had to stop my fingers from typing "my last confession ) and almost a year since any kind of "inklings" at all. My symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats were actually less harrowing than my usual PMS and periods so I elected not to do HRT and would have thought all *that stuff* would have been out of my system by now. But, I've got all the classic crap going on - been feeling bloaty for a week or so but today am running to the ladies every half hour, and have that sort of clogged up feeling in my abdomen that used to mean *better be ready*; breast tenderness; cranky as ****; snivveled and got all misty at an only so-so movie last night (and a couple other things that would be WTTMI - I think you can get the picture without them )........

I've read that, since estrogen is stored in fat cells, major weight loss can lead to early menopause but could a comparatively small weight loss like mine possibly cause old, leftover hormones to escape into my blood stream and trigger one last hurrah?

Been anticipating finally freedom for years and am kind of annoyed. How long do I have to expect this to continue? I swear, if I start getting cramps I'm going to kill something!!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

My body still seems to have it's own little 'monthly cycle' even though (at 65) I'm long past menopause . . . some of us just seem to be "lucky" that way. . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oh, gosh, you can have an occasional period (or period-like symptoms) for years... I entered menopause in 1998 "or so," but I had a period 9 months after that, then 3 months later, and finally one evidently last hurrah (I hope!) in 2002, after 2 years and 4 months.

So...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-11-2008 at 08:11 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Oh, gosh, you can have an occasional period (or period-like symptoms) for years... I entered menopause in 1998 "or so," but I had a period 9 months after that, then 3 months later, and finally one evidently last hurrah (I hope!) in 2002, after 2 years and 4 months.

So...

Jay
And of course, that means you can also get the P word. The other P word.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, my Mom had a surprise baby when she was 44. But for me, it's a non-issue, happily.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/173/135

Height: 5'6''

Hi Yoyo

I've been "paused" for about 8 years and while the hot flashes and night sweats seem to cycle in their own fashion , no PMS symptoms.

I always try to err on the side of caution. Have you thought about running your questions by GYN. ?
I use to tell my DH back in the day,that even though he was innocent of any wrong doing,I just needed to RIP HIS HEAD OFF !!!.....then my self would feel alllll better

Anyway, take care and listen to your body and maybe ask a medical professional, just to be sure. Hope you feel better soon.

Eileen

Last edited by Cute n Curvy; 07-12-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Cute n Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

my menopause passed fairly quickly for me but I still get hot flashes sometimes
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #8  
In Pursuit

S/C/G: 225 / 209 / 180

Height: 5' 4"

I was just thinking the same thing - "After all this time?". Mine wasn't horrible just confusing for me and seemed to be more extended.

Keeps us on our toes!
PampGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
And of course, that means you can also get the P word. The other P word.
Thank goodness DH *remedied* that side of the issue years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Curvy View Post
I always try to err on the side of caution. Have you thought about running your questions by GYN. ?
I use to tell my DH back in the day,that even though he was innocent of any wrong doing,I just needed to RIP HIS HEAD OFF !!!.....then my self would feel alllll better
It was actually DH who pointed out that I was behaving awfully like "the old days"

Had my annual just a couple of months ago and everything was fine - of course, since I had already specified I wouldn't be doing HRT, we skipped checking hormone levels...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PampGal View Post
Keeps us on our toes!
And still in fear of actually wearing those cute little unmentionables I just got from Victoria's Secret!

Well, TOM actually did show up but, so amazingly mild compared to what I went through leading up to the *beginning of the end* (and since I'm now into what would be the less stressed phase of the cycle ) I'm not going to get too freaked out unless it drags on for more than a few days. Good thing I still have a few of those old Wal Mart panties left in the drawer
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
Thank goodness DH *remedied* that side of the issue years ago
Thank goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
And still in fear of actually wearing those cute little unmentionables I just got from Victoria's Secret!
Not fair!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote