Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #91  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - yes, it IS warm in MI today! Summer is definitely here. I went to the farmer's market and got white and purple peppers, and purple beans (like green, but purple in color), and broccoli and roma tomatoes and SWEET CORN! We had corn and the broccoli for supper. I'm in heaven!

Freda - I use several videos. I started with "10 Minute Solution: Slim and Sculpt Pilates". I got it because I was looking for workouts that used a resistance band. I really like it. I was actually able to do most of it from the very beginning. I have added several other videos since. Plain pilates and pilates that use a fitness ball. I need variety to keep me motivated to get up at 5:30 a.m. to exercise.

Well, I need to go pull a few weeds before the bugs get too bad tonight.

I hope you all have a GREAT evening!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to all, I had a great day yesterday and really stayed on plan. The exercise helps. I worked in my garden yesterday, the heat was rough. I love warm weather, but yesterday was a little too much.
Counting- my daughter moved back home and three months later my son moved back in. There were great times since they were adults, and we had a lot of laughs, but then they expect you to do a lot for them. My son's married now and my daughter has her own home. They moved out after about a year. Have fun
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #93  
I can do this!!

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'10"

Love this thread! I'm new to this site, am an active 50 year who is on her way to bed but will be checking in again tomorrow. Just started my new eating plan today!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #94  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Debra814! and welcome to our thread! Hope to see you posting regularly. Tell us more about yourself--what plan are you following?

Well, the A/C saga continues. I'm glad there's nothing really wrong with it as far as the cooling goes--it's the heat pump that needs to be fixed, and we won't need that until winter. But yesterday it rained all morning, and for the repair they have to open up the whole box. They can't do it in the rain because water mustn't get into the interior. So... they'll try again today. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't rain until later!

And here I thought I was being so smart getting it done early... forgot about the rain in summer here. OH WELL.

CountingDown, I envy you your sweet corn! We do get corn in Fla. but usually earlier than this, and often it's just not as good as the fresh corn I remember from up in New England. I imagine it's the same where you live.

I was pleased to discover that corn eaten off the cob doesn't have that many calories per cob. I guess it was the ahem butter I used to slather on it, huh?

the slim me--yeah, I'll probably get another project in due time... I really liked the one that went away, though. It was an ecology book rather than the usual biology that I get. Oh well, I do have plenty to work on.

In other news, the light fixture over the sink has malfunctioned. It's not the bulbs--tried them in a different fixture and they work fine. These are fluorescent bar-type lights. The fixture is probably almost 30 years old... So, I guess I go in search of a new fixture. And I hope it's just that the fixture has gone bad and not the wiring, because that will mean an electrician...

There is always something, isn't there?

Hey flowingair, meowee, sgibson1626

Jay
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #95  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

And a big to you, DEBRA . . . so glad to have you joining us.

Maybe your light is suffering from the same problem as the one over my kitchen sink, JAY -- it hates the humidity and starts acting up (slow to come on and flickers a little before it does) every summer when the muggy weather arrives. Weird. It will be fine again come Fall.

Our forecast is for "unsettled" weather today -- so far -- temperature is pretty good, but it is overcast and a little too humid. Nothing much outdoorsy for me today, anyway.

Have a great day, everybody . . . keep things moving and shaking . . .

Last edited by meowee; 07-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #96  

Hi all!
flowingair - thanks for your encouragement. Maybe there IS light at the end of this tunnel. We are enjoying having him home (so far).

Debra - Jay is right - we LOVE new folk here I look forward to reading your posts!!!! Come back often.

Jay - with those old flourescents, it is often the ballast. Depending upon the type of fixture, because of the age - you are probably better off just replacing the whole fixture. The new ballasts are a lot more energy efficient than the old ones. And - the new lights come on a lot faster too. I hope the heat pump was fixed today. I know for me - I hate having all those little annoying unfinished things dangling. I get more stressed than I should about that kind of stuff. I'm workin' on it ...

Hi Linda - hope your weather was OK.

Doing great here - trying to get work caught up so that I can leave Friday without anything "hanging". I'm looking forward to the trip, but I still have some clothes inventorying to do before we go. It has been so hot, and all my fall clothes are upstairs. Sometimes I wish we could install central air, but the age and the layout of the house - combined with the hot water furnace make it almost impossible.

Have a great evening all!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #97  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! good morning all!

Counting, so that's what that "black box" is called! I figured that had to be where the problem was. Yeah, I think a new fixture is what's needed. Although, perhaps I can just replace the ballast? The housing etc. seems OK. Of course, then there's the question of old wires--I'd hate to get a new ballast just to find out the problem is a faulty wire.

Well, I'd best get on with it...

Jay
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #98  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning ladies, I had a bit of a delima Tuesday. My DGS spilled a glass of grape juice on my new beige carpet. I cleaned it as good as I could by hand and got up the next morning to see a huge pink stain. I had to go to work and couldn't waait to get home to get out the cleaner and clean it good this time. I sprayed it with stain remover and clean ti again and this mornign there is no sign of the stain, but I know they sometimes seep back up. Wish me luck.

Welcome Deborah, come back often. We look forward to talking to you. It really is easier with support!

Flow, I'm getting out this morning to get the weeding done too. It's way too hot to do anything during the heat of the day here. And the evening stay hot so long I know I won't get out there later either. Now...how many calories does pulling weeds burn?

Laurie, The farmers market you went to really had a lovely variety of vegetables. I love to sample the different looking ones. I love vegetables anyway and it's a good excuse to get more in. And isn't the corn so good this year? I could live on it. I've never liked butter, but I used to put it on corn, just to hold my salt and pepper on. Now I just use the spray stuff or water. I like the resistance bands and the ball too. I'll have to look into those tapes. I like a variety to keep me interested and to work new muscles. Like this year when I started riding my bike with the kids. I found thigh muscles that were very under used.

Jay, Hope it stays dry enough for you to get the heat fixed today. Sounds kind of weird saying that, it's so hot out!

Eveyone, make it a good day, Freda
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #99  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh--I forgot to mention! The heat did get fixed yesterday--before the day-long rains set in. It was a problem that affected the heat the most, but eventually it would have affected the cooling as well... so, glad to have it done. But it cost $900.

Jay
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #100  

Jay - sorry about the $900 - but, if it keeps the unit alive and well it was worth it. Depending on the price of light you are replacing, my guess is that the money spent on a new fixture will be worth it. The new bulbs (for the new style fixtures) are only a little bit more expensive and so much more energy efficient. The quality of the lighting is much better too. I'm very happy we replaced all of our fluorescent fixtures over the last couple years.

Freda - YES - the corn is amazing this year. I'm making it again tonight. I found a Tuscan Chicken Seasoning at Sam's Club that I love to put on corn. It has a built-in grinder, so you grind it fresh every time you use it. I skip the butter all together.

Hi to everyone else!

We are headed out tomorrow morning, so I probably won't post again until Sunday night. We are taking the hiking poles and there is a nice park between Rochester and Utica that is supposed to have some nice trails. Gonna have to take some serious fluids however, because it is supposed to be VERY warm.

Have a GREAT weekend all!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #101  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

New bulbs??? But I just spent $24 on bulbs that fit the old fixture! Aaaahhhh!!!!

As for the $900--well, compared with the $4-$5 THOUSAND a new unit would cost...

Have a great time, CD!

Jay
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi everyone,
Debra- welcome

Counting-have a great time on your trip. I hope you find some great clothes at the outlets.

Jay- Sorry about all your mechanical problems. There sure our some great new lights out there and energy efficient.

Freda-I don't know how many calories, weed pulling burn, but in this heat it has to be a lot.

My DH and I have been so busy with yard work. We're putting a sprinkler system for our yard. We don't have grass at our cottage, but I have a ton of flowers and shrubs that need water. Dragging hoses around has gotten to be a chore. So we decided to put in a sprinkler system. We rented a trench machine which cut down a lot of the work, but then there was the digging out all the areas where the dirt collapsed. We have mostly sand here with lots of roots from the trees. I'm really beat. See you tomorrow.

Last edited by flowingair; 07-31-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #103  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. You can learn more about me in the bio section. I am trying to exercise six out of seven days per week. Yesterday, I got my walking in. I am starting on the easier side of the three mile circle that I walk. When I get faster and less winded on the downhill route, I will go to the other direction of the route for the uphill! I was so sore from doing weight exercises for my arms and chest from the day before that I decided to let gardening work be my strengthening exercises for the day. So, I put fish emulsion on my garden for a couple of hours. I figure lugging around a two gallon watering can for a couple of hours was pretty good weight bearing exercise! Our weather here in California is going to settle into the low 80's for a while so gardening throughout the day is an option for a while!

I went to a chiropractic appointment yesterday and got the "hitch" out of my back. It feels so much better and I can bend over completely. I have been working on stretching so I can touch my toes. I can actually touch the ground again! Yeah!

I have been trying to get started on the South Beach diet, but my carb avoidance left over from having done Atkins in the past is interferring. I think I will cook a pot of beans just to get myself heading toward eating more high fiber carbs. I have been doing pretty well the way I have been dieting, so it is hard for me to move on. Why mess up a good thing, right?

Flowingair, I envy your sprinkler system. I have a patched together system of drip irrigation on timers, drag around hoses, grey water usage and careful neglect that keep my garden limping along. Summers are blazing here and water is critical (we are in a drought, although our well has been fine). As I plant more veggies and fruit trees, I am trying to go to more drought tolerant ornamentals. I love those plants that you forget to water for months and they are non the worse!

Hopefully I am over my insomnia...silly me, I drank coffee in the afternoon yesterday. I am going to go give sleeping another try!

Sheri
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #104  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, Sorry to say, the stain is still noticeable in the carpet. Anyone have some good remidy for grape juicce stain? It's terribly hot here still and anything I want to do has to be done in the morning. The rest of the day i'm in the house with the air on. I have made an effort to get some kind of exercise every day, weight and arobic.

Laurie, Enjoy your vacation. I hope you find some awsome new clothes at the outlets! Shoud be a perfect time to go there. I'm not sure what hiking trails you're talking about. Stoney Creek perhaps? I'm always interested in places to take the grandkids.

Jay, Doesn't everything cost more than you thought it would and take longer? At least it's done now and you can (hopefully) forget it for awhile.

Flo, All that yard work for sure counted as exercise! And now you have a sprinkling system to keep things looking good.

Sherri, Hi, I haven't read your bio yet but will when I finish here. Always good to hear new idea's and meet new people. I have a problem with insomnia too, no specific reason, just some nights I can't sleep or i wake up really early. Makes for a very tired day. Glad the chiropractor got the "kincks" out and you're feeling better.

Make it a good day, Freda
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #105  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

the slim me, do you have Chem Dry rug cleaning in your area? They have a red stain removal treatment--it costs, but it might work. Red stains are the worst--I think you can have them come out and evaluate it.

I love Chem Dry--in spite of the name, it's not highly chemical, and it doesn't get your carpets and floors wet like other kinds of cleaning. The cleaner is basically like club soda "on steroids." Been using them for years.

Hey Quixotica! Glad to see you joining in!

All you folks and your gardening... Makes me feel sluggish. The extent of my gardening is bush trimming--although I have a plan to ring the bushes with a circle of those trim stones--cast concrete--and fill them in with mulch in the middle. I always use landscaper's cloth under the mulch. It's an extra step, but it pays off later.

We went to see The X-Files movie yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Mulder and Scully again. If any of you plan to go, be sure to stay until the credits end. It turns out there's a final scene after that, and we missed it because we left.

Have a good one!

Jay
Closed Thread