Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I saw something so interesting on my walk! I was walking under a camphor tree, and suddenly water started falling on my head. What is this, a very local rainstorm? I looked up, and there was something rustling around up in the leaves, knocking all the dew and drops down.

It turned out that two birds were up there, taking a shower. Now, there are plenty of puddles of water from all the rain, so they didn't have to be showering. Each bird would jump onto a branch with a clump of leaves around it, and then shake itself and the branch along with it. Water would fall off the leaves onto the bird (and hapless passersby). Then the bird would fluff up its feathers and preen. Then hop to a new branch and repeat. Both birds were getting thoroughly wet.

I have never seen birds do this before. I wonder if they prefer this in camphor trees. The camphor leaves have camphor oil in them--perhaps some of this is picked up in rain or dew, and feels good to the birds. Plus it also helps get rid of parasites (though the birds don't "know" this).

So that's the most exciting thing so far today.

Jay
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #47  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Plus it also helps get rid of parasites (though the birds don't "know" this).

Jay
Bet they do . . . . . . Not the way 'we' know it, mind you -- just instictively, somehow.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #48  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jay - how cool to stumble upon! We have birds taking baths in our pond, but that is just way cool!

Linda - I got your rain again. I walked to the dentist this morning and then to work. A pop-up storm came in and I was pretty wet by the time I got to the office. Glad I had an umbrella with me or it would have been "drowned rat" time.

Gotta enjoy the sunshine we have now - so I'm off to make supper and get some gardening done.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #49  
Water Lily

Height: 5'5'

Hi, I've read some of your posts, and this group is amazing. Counting Down. I sure hope that my journey will be as successful as yours. I appreciate all the helpful hints that you have.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #50  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey water lily!

Nice to see you posting!

Jay
Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #51  
Onward and Downward

WATERLILY -- to our fun and happy little group and, of course, also. So glad to have you joining us.

And a glowing GOOD MORNING for everybody else, too . . .

Still waiting for rain around here -- forecast is for another hot and sticky day, though --
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #52  
Water Lily

Hi, Thanks for your warm welcome. We had storms come through here last night. I'm starting today counting calories, I see many of you count calories. I've tried all sorts of diets in the past, I lost weight but never seemed to keep it off. I'm so encouraged by your progress. I hope to be posting losses soon, but I've always been a slow loser. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by water lily; 07-18-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #53  

Water lily
Thank you for your kind words!

I really felt like a snail losing the weight - a half lb. here, a lb. there - it SEEMED to take forever. Keep at it, and you WILL make it. The folk on this forum are a big part of my success. They are wise and wonderful cheerleaders.

Calorie counting is GREAT! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

What part of MI are you from? I'm in the north-west part of the LP.

Gotta fly - this weekend is our "Arts Fair" and DH and I are going down to the park to see what goodies we can find - as well as listen to the local performers. I just love seeing all of the wonderful arts and crafts for sale and usually pick up an item or two. If I can just ignore all of the unhealthy FOOD that they also have available.

It should be a fun evening
Old 07-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #54  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! Happy Saturday...

I'm on my way out to trim the bushes this morning before it gets any hotter. Not that it is exactly cool now... but better than it will be.

I also have to work this weekend to get caught up. But, hey, I'm self employed so my time is my own, right?

Hope you're all having a good day--

Jay
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #55  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

We finally got a little rain and since it is still overcast, I'm hoping there may be some more yet to come.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #56  

A fun day overall. Got some cleaning done, then spent most of the day at the Arts Festival by the lake. A late lunch at a favorite coffee house and then back home to get some gardening and outside chores done. Finally a fire on the patio while we watched the fireworks over the lake.

Enjoy your Sunday all!
Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #57  
Onward and Downward

HI . . .
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #58  
Water Lily

Hi Counting down, I'm from Sterling Heights the east side of Detroit. I love northern Michigan and vacation there often. I want to live there when I retire. You are so lucky to live in God's country. The great lakes are so amazing so crystal clear and so many shades of blue. Every season is so gorgeous, I can't decide which is my favorite. Thanks for all your support. I hope to stay focused this time. I'm a stress eater.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #59  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, I had to work the weekend but I'm off untill thursday. It was a good weekend, nothing much happening. Just like we like them at work!!

I did well, ate healthy. No exercise but I took the stairs a lot. You do what you can. Little things make a big diffrence.

Counting, I love those little art fairs. You can usually find some really unique items to tempt you. But the food..keep me away from the elephant ears. I have to keep reminding myself "it's just deep fried dough with white sugar sprinkled on". sometimes it even works.

Lily, We're neighbors. I live in center Line. That's in the middle of Warren. I'm a stress eater too. With my job (i'm a nurse) that means most of the time! It's an ongoing struggle but i'm dealing with it.

Jay, I have a bird bath and I love to watch the birds groom. It had to be so interesting watching them take a shower!

make it a good day, Freda
Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #60  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Happy Monday! Well, maybe...

I got those bushes trimmed on Saturday, plus some other cleaning up outdoors. Sunday it was work, plus a Sunday Dinner--nothing over the top, just some boneless pork chops with herbs de provence, steamed summer squash, and cooked mushrooms.

Today it's more of same--no exciting revelations on my walk, but on Sunday I saw a bird's nest fungus in an outdoor potted plant I've been watering for my neighbor. So cute! The mushrooms look like little nest-shaped cups, and inside are four to six tiny white "eggs" that are actually spore-producing bodies. When water drops land in the "nest," they spread the spores. A nest is only about 3/8 inch across. They can often be found on decaying wood. I haven't seen them in nature before!

Nice to have you report in, the slim me. Greetings to meowee, CountingDown, and water lily!

Where are the rest of our folks? Hallloooooooooo!

Guess it's back to work...

Jay
Closed Thread