Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #1  

Red face Anyone using a elipitical???

Hello,
I am glad to be here!!!
I am 58 years old and have been trying to get some weight off for several months now. I started in August and began by walking 3 miles 5 times a week in the morning before I went to work!! Boy I wanted it off bad!! Well I managed to lose 20 pounds I am now down to 140.
I planned on just coasting throught the holidays and did pretty well as far as weight gain goes.
I was planning on getting back on my treadmill but it is hard I have gotten where I can't stand the thing!!
So we are starting to shop for a elipitical. From what I have read they are a lot more of a workout then the treadmill and most of what I have read says you cannot work out as long on them. Does anyone know if this is true???
Does anyone have one and what do you think about it?? The one we are thinking about buying is a Schwin. Please let me know what you think about them.
Thanks,
pattycake329
pattycake329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #2  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I use both an elliptical and a treadmill at the gym...for me, the treadmill is a harder workout (I run, not walk) than the elliptical....but I have a friend who is reverse. It is hard to get started on the elliptical...I started out only doing 5 minutes...now I can do over an hour without tiring out. Do you listen to music when you workout? That helps me out a lot!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I use both at the gym, too. I find the elliptical to be as good a workout if you work at it. The problem is is that the treadmill is set at a specific speed so you keep up without thinking, the elliptical is not set so you have to consciencously keep up your speed. When I do work hard on it I get my heartrate up as high as on the treadmill. I also use it on an incline for parts of my workout - that gets your heartrate up! Good luck with your shopping.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I use the eliptical every other day (use the wt machines on alternate days) & I love it. I started out doing around 5 minutes - I'm up to 31 minutes. The ones I use have various workouts - I do the cardio.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

I use the eliptical every other day (bike other days) and have for years - I use one at the gym. I love it because it doesn't pound your joints like jogging (which is a consideration when you are carrying extra weight).
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #6  

I think the eliptical is a great workout! I'm a stairstepper gal myself...but if all 2 (yes only 2!) stairsteppers are in use at my Y, I'll gladly use the eliptical. I just seem to work up a better sweat on the step machine. You're lucky you can work out at home. I know myself, and I have to get out of the house. I would find a million other things to do if I had yo work out at home..like my computer for instance...where do the hours go???? :-)
the nurse is offline   Reply With Quote