3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   "THE GOLDEN GIRLS" - August '07 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/119412-golden-girls-august-07-a.html)

ladyinweighting 08-11-2007 07:11 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Marylynn - Welcome (I'm sure I'm late to say this, but I've been away for a while). You'll really love this thread - LOTS of support. "Down two pounds."
That's WONDERFUL!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Hi Karen, I used to get a "horse magazine." I don't remember the name of it, but I know it wasn't about Western - I always rode English.

Hi Trish, You wrote, "I tend to binge on the weekends. I'm working hard to get more control on this obvious weakness. Anyone have any advice????"
Yes - I used to always make one or two special lo-calorie recipes on the weekend. I knew I'd be eating differently when I wasn't at work, so the new recipes kept me under control. Since I'm retired, weekends and weekdays pretty much blend together.

Hi Margaret, it's so nice to see you "in-person."

I had a lousy night - didn't get to sleep until around 3 & then, woke up at 6:30 this morning. I hope it wasn't the new meds.

Linda, did you ever take metformin? Ever have any problem with it keeping you up at night?

Lynn

Piano51 08-11-2007 08:07 AM

Good Morning!!!

We're expecting another Hot day today. 90F+

I'm getting ready for choir rehearsal...Up early like always!

I'm catching up on the posts.

First, it appears that I was confused with Karen and Gayle on my last post. Let's chalk that up to my status as being Older than Dirt. :D

Lyn, Marilyn,Theresa, and Karen Congrats on your weight loss this week!!! Lyn, I can't wait to report that I'm under 200LBs---I've got something to shoot for.

Theresa I think I'll borrow your idea of setting up mini-goals along this journey. It's uplifting. I'm sure you'll make your second milestone this week!!!

Zoe and Cat I'd like to add a facial service to the spa experience!!!

TTFN,

Trish:cool:

meowee 08-11-2007 08:09 AM

Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Another beautiful day shaping up for norther Nova Scotia -- OMG, how will we ever handle two in a row. Thought I'd stop in early today -- before I go out and about to bask in the wonderful weather. It's another touristy-time for Pictou County -- the Hector Festival (the little sailing ship that brought the first batch of Scottish settlers to the town of Pictou) -- so my little town will be overrun with strangers; hopefully all spending lots and lots of nice money.

Lynn -- so glad you finally got to see an endo. I was getting a bit worried about your extremely low carb, high fat diet but didn't want to say anything because it's certainly not my place to disagree with your doctor. I've taken Metformin for years and, other than occasional "gas-attacks" have not experienced any side-effects. It's an oldie but a goodie because it doesn't promote weight gain or hypoglycemia (unlike so many of the other diabetes meds I take - like Glyburide and, of course, Insulin). Actos is another relatively side-effect free diabetes drug that does a good job for me.

Karen -- what is it about young girls and horses? When I was about that age, I spent almost all my free time at the local riding stable acting as free labour just to be around the animals.

Big HI for everybody else. See you later. :wave:

Bobbolink 08-11-2007 08:43 AM

Hi Golden Girls!
Today we're staying home as most of the auction work is done at MIL's house. I have so much to catch up on with this thread and so glad for everyone's imput, weight loss achievements and dedication. God bless you all. You all know that Monday mornings are when we start our diets? Well, Monday morning I'm going to get on the scale, see the damage I've done and start anew. Oh, where have I heard that statement before, probably from all of you.:D
I so appreciated all the e-mails I've received in the last few days, it's great that we can all unite on issues that concern us. The bond we have is awesome! Go Golden Girls!

Bobbi
P.S. I promise to change my weight bar on Monday.

Bobbolink 08-11-2007 08:54 AM

Hi Karen, since I'm a lady of leisure for the next couple of days I bit on your quiz. I scored 21 which makes me older than dirt too! The four questions that I answered no on got me wondering.
Question # 6 We didn't get home delivered milk because we milked our own cows. What was the cardboard insert?
# 11, We didn't have a phone in the early days?
#12, Pea shooter, what's that?
# 18, What is mimeograph paper?

Bobbi

Bobbolink 08-11-2007 09:28 AM

Questions

These ponderables were sent to me by my friend in Canada and the purple lettering is what I added. It would be fun to have you all block out my answers and put your own answers and post them.

.shape { }.shape { }

Ponderables

1. The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow.Like Monday morning diets!

2. Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness makes him wag his tail. So true for all you dog lovers like me.

3. If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all. A sense of humor gets me thru the day.

4. Seat belts are not as confining as wheelchairs.A good lesson to buckle up.

5. A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. This is probably the best of all statements.

6. How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night? Gladly we didn't have that problem.

7. Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without. duh!

8. Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else looks?Because in our hearts we are "Young at heart" and see ourselves differently.

9. Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. Yeah!

10. No one has more driving ambition than the boy who wants to buy a car. Not quite true, no comment.

11. There are no new sins; the old ones just get more publicity.Ha Ha Ha

12. There are worse things than getting a call for a wrong number at 4 A.M. It could be a right number.I get a icky feeling in my tummy thinking about this one. Nobody wants to get this kind of a phone call.

13. Think about this..., No one ever says "It's only a game." when his team is winning. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

14. I've reached the age where the happy hour is a Nap.God bless a good nap.

15. Be careful reading the fine print. There's no way you're going to like it.What?

16. The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket. Hello?

17. Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of OLD Seniors running around with tattoos? (And RAP music will be the Golden Oldies!)I have a tatto! And I still love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a MiniVan. Happiness is what you make of it, doesn't matter if you are rich or poor. Happiness is being content.

19. After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead. True, I've often thought of this.

floridarusty 08-11-2007 09:49 AM

Happy Saturday Golden Girls.....

Zoe I hope your feeling much better. I HATE being sick and I know that your the type that doesn't want to waste that time either. Feel better.

Lynn, glad your back but hope it's not your meds keeping you awake. Your just going everywhere girl, glad your having a good time. We are staying home until our family reunion in Oct., I can hardly wait.

Margaret, how nice to see you. Wow, 60 lbs., I am so in awe. You should be very proud of your loss and you'll get that 20 off soon, we are here to encourage you and hopefully follow in your footsteps.

Trish, I find week-ends hard too but going out to eat is the worst for me. Seems I lose all self control, however I have done much better lately sticking to grilled fish, rice and veggies or a stir fry with the sauce on the side. Don't give up, everyone has their issues.

Marylynn, 2 lbs.....way to go. Don't you love to see the scales move down!

Lyn congrats on your weight loss, all that walking you do is totally amazing.

Theresa, good to see you posting my dear, I have missed your posts. Looks like I might get to Ohio by next year.

Joanne nice your back from vacation too and you had a good time. I LOVE vacations!

Hi to everyone I missed, Bobbi good to see you life calming down and that you are back posting with us.

Have a great week-end....Phyllis

ladyinweighting 08-11-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 1811910)
Hi Karen, since I'm a lady of leisure for the next couple of days I bit on your quiz. I scored 21 which makes me older than dirt too! The four questions that I answered no on got me wondering.
Question # 6 We didn't get home delivered milk because we milked our own cows. What was the cardboard insert?
# 11, We didn't have a phone in the early days?
#12, Pea shooter, what's that?
# 18, What is mimeograph paper?

Bobbi

WOW - You're REALLY young!

The cardboard was a cover on top of the bottle that folded around the lip.

Party Line - more than 1 family accessed the same line. When you picked up the phone, you had to see if the line was clear. If someone else was talking, you had to hang up and wait your turn.

Pea shooter - a straw-like device through which you would blow a "pea" or other small object so that it "projectiled" at someone else.

Before copiers, schools (and maybe offices?) used a machine that copied everything using a special paper and special ink. You'd put the paper in the machine & then roll out a copy (ink was always blue).

Lynn

ellabella 08-11-2007 10:52 AM

Well, Morning has broken :flow2:...and all that rot. Lots of noisy birds outside woke me up unnecessarily early this morning, and here I am, gulping down my second cup of “guaranteed to turn you into a full-fledged human being” :coffee: cawfee. I have a grocery list that won’t quit (I grocery shop bi-weekly, and then spend a fortune in between because I typically run out of here to work every morning and forget to take anything out of the freezer for supper!) and I’m wanting to get in a bike ride :bike2: if I don’t start feeling sick and yukky :( later on, the way I seem to have done over the past couple of days. Of course, some of this is my own foolishness, to tell the truth. I actually woke up at @ 11:00 last night (after having gone into bed at 7:00!) and felt hungry - so in my befuddled state of mind, and thinking about NOT wanting to eat anything that would up my daily calorie count by too much (I actually hadn’t eaten much more than six or seven hundred calories all day long, so I could have had just about anything I wanted) and opted to scarf down maybe twenty cherries (We’ve been getting some really good ones in the market’s produce section over the past month or so, and since we both love them, I’ve been keeping a bag full in the fridge for “emergencies”). Then I went back to bed, only to wake up at @ 3:AM having to well, um...having to “use the facilities” in a very emphatic manner. Tsk. NOT a good lead-in to our spa fantasy, eh? :o
Oh, Karen, you KNOW I answered those questions and scored at the top of the chart for “Older than dirt-ness.” Some I had forgotten completely, so it was like, “Oh! Wow! Yup, I remember that....” <shaking head in perplexity. Are we/am I REALLY that old? > :?:
I’m so glad you’re getting a little break in that impossible weather, Linda-Meowee. About time, huh? We had a lovely sunny & coolish day - in the mid-seventies, I guess - on Thursday, then wet & cold yesterday, and a nice day today, methinks. :D
Oh gawd, Trish, I don’t envy you the kitchen remodeling! I did the spare bathroom over - paint & wallpaper & shelving a couple of months back and it looks really nice, now, but it took me forever because I would do a little and stop and then do a little more and stop again. Finally got it done in time for my son’s visit from LA at the end of June. As for the weight loss “surprise”, I kind of think those things happen because - at least for me, now - even when I “fall off the wagon” it’s by just eating too much of my healthy food rather than actually going out and having a McDonald’s Big Mac and fries or something. Eventually, after doing this for a while, I really DO think that our tastes manage to change. So hang in there, m’dear. :hug: You’re doing just fine.
Hey Marylynn! Oh yeah, Boston’s great for walking if you wear *walking shoes*. :running: Jo-annie & I tend towards the “cute but useless” styles, I’m afraid. I actually keep BUYING more utilitarian styles, but I put them on at home, and think, Awwwww. NO! I can’t wear those! So my spare closet piles up with shoe boxes and then a couple of times a year, I make a trek to the local Good Will thrift store and drop off a trunkful. Sooner or later, I’m going to HAVE to “graduate” to more appropriate shoes, I guess, but at this point in time, I wear my “cute” ones to work (and therefore don’t do a LOT of healthy walking around Boston) and when I’m not working, I’m in flipppie-flops or my Nike strap-ons for bike riding. WHO is Eleanor? I seem to have missed her entirely. Jes’ old here, I guess. Can someone introduce us? :^:
Hey Moxie! Your avatar worked! You’re a very attractive lady - just like the rest of us! Do you mind my calling you Moxie, although everyone else seems to be using “Margaret”? I really LIKE “Moxie”. :D Wow on what you’ve ALREADY lost! Awesome, just awesome!
Bobbi, I jes’ love you, girl :hug: .....I’ll get to answering those questions (or commenting on them like you did) sometime today. They pretty much cut to the heart of things, don’t they? Hope your weekend is a little more relaxed than your past couple of weeks have been. I think confronting the scale on Monday is a really smart choice. I SHOULD hop on sometime today, but I’m afraid mine would buck me off... :kickbutt:
Phyllis, I wouldn’t worry overmuch about the eating out....I KNOW that we’re all here to lose weight, but ONE of the decisions that I think most of us made was not to rush it too much. I know I will be happy to eventually get to my goal - if it’s not tomorrow or even next month, in the words of every southern girl’s hero, Rhett Butler, “Frankly my deah, Ah don’t GIVE a damn...” (Besides, we both have clothes sliding off our butts...what more could we want, eh?) :p
Well, I have undoubtedly missed many of us, and I do apologize, but it really is becoming difficult to keep up, no matter HOW often I log on. And I’m “older n’ dirt. I took the test and I passed.
Have a great day, y’all. This Golden Girl is going to TRY to accomplish a couple of things, and then, that’s it! It feels like a non-push-yourself kind of day to me. :yes:

Tah,

Z :dizzy:

Jayjay55 08-11-2007 12:47 PM

Hello all you wonderful GOLDEN GIRLS finally finished off the week and I am so glad for the weekend. Although that said my back is out and I just know I will need to see the chiropractor soon. My sweetie goes every month but he needs it for preventative maintenance - when you work in physio sometimes you are lifting people that don't want to be lifted and it can be quite a strain. I was so proud of the fact I haven't needed the chiropractor for such a long time -- but sadly its catching up on me and I will need an adjustment. I started feeling twinges when we went away in June -- sleeping in strange beds (right Lynn???) and then last week laying about in the morning -- such a luxury but at this age it is quite a strain and I pay the price for something so delicious - sighs. Oh well I feel like I am on full maintenance mode right now anyway -- I have a few other appointments coming up and get some "stuff" fixed.

Miss one day and there is a lot to catch up on -- WOW!!! Zoe I am just glad you are feeling better -- we are taking off in a few minutes for our weekly grocery shopping - I try very hard to not do too much in between - but its difficult. Lynn I am so glad you are back, Margaret so nice to put a face to your posts, Trish sorry you are still in a heat wave but Linda I am glad the maritimes have gotten cooler -- its just lovely here.

Karen - -I also am old as dirt (yikes!!!) and Bobbi you missed out on the joy of watching the tops of the milk bottles pop off when the milk froze -- made my mom mad when we lost a bottle. Actually when we visited New Zealand even into the 90's they still had milk delivery -- my son loved going out to get the bottles with his grandpa.

Big hi's to Phyllis, Paula, and Marylynn congrats on the pounds down --YAY!!! Theresa glad to see you back and anyone else new or missing from my list I apologize -- and I promise to get back on track soon -- do I keep promising that every week????

femmecreole 08-11-2007 02:55 PM

I have come to the decision that I am just no good with personals...I go blind going back and forth trying to keep up with everyone!!! We need an email yahoo group!!

Zoe, I hope you are feeling better today...that is a really high temp. Get lots of rest and water.

I had a really fun day yesterday. I worked till around 10 then my husband and I went to Lowe's to get some palm trees and big pots for the front of the office at the school where I teach (their request)
Then we went to Baton Rouge and ate at a FANTASTIC restaurant...just outstanding. Then to a kitchen store where I got some neat new toys. One is a honey dispenser where the honey comes out of the bottom of it. and it rests in a kind of "egg cup" . The reason I wanted it is for Agave Necter. I found a super super recipe for dessert...you have to try it!! I used toasted almonds on top and it is decadant.
We also went to Whole Foods and I got a lot of stuff but one thing I had not ever had before..it was a honeydew nectarine. They are great..wish I had bought more while I was there.

Trying to keep cool..the temp is 102 right now so staying inside and cleaning today...just me and Cat Stevens plugged in my ears.

lynard21 08-11-2007 02:59 PM

Photos from Lyn

4 Attachment(s)
Hopefully these uploaded...my front door with morning glories, back yard zinneas by garage and cat Bianca. We;re off to Canada tomorrow. Will check in with you GGs when I return.

Lyn

femmecreole 08-11-2007 03:22 PM

Lyn, have a wonderful trip! I enjoyed seeing your gardens! Thos morning glories are just, well, glorious. I usually plant them but last year they got a little out of hand, so we skipped them this year and I miss them. Your zinnia are also so pretty. I planted some new ones this year..they are minature ones that just make a globe and you don't have to dead head them. I'm thinking of going with a combo of both next year in my butterfly bed.

ellabella 08-11-2007 04:56 PM

Oh that dessert looks HEAVENLY, Cat!!! I'm going to do a little sleuthing and see if I can't find a source of those ingredients around this neck of the woods. I'll let you know if I have any success.
Lovely flowers, Lyn, and Bianca is a lovely khat, isn't she? If she got together with my Yoko, we could call them the salt & pepper twins. (Or non-twins? Opposites?) Enjoy your trip!
Always love hearing what Jo-annie's up to, as well.
I didn't even go grocery shopping - OR ride the stupid bike. Nice as it is outside today (Good Lawd, Cat! 102 degrees! I would really be wilting!) I decided to take a moratorium on doing anything and I'm actually still in my PJ's! I schlepped in and took a nap for a few hours in the "big" chair & ottoman in the living room...it's so comfy that everytime I sit in it to read, it's like I disappear down this great, warm & comfy black HOLE or something. BUT, I'm thinking these are flu-like symptoms, or low grade something or other, because I'm awfully UN-energetic and achey and have some coughy stuff going on. Nothing that's likely to kill me off, but just a tad unpleasant right now. Feeling a little over-warm, too - another reason I'm glad the temperature is only in the seventies up here. I couldn't bear the AC, I don't think.
I emptied a jar of Healthy Choice traditional style pasta sauce into my crock pot, added a chopped tomato, (DH did the chopping) and a frozen package of green & red pepper strips and a well-drained can of sliced black olives. Once it heated through, I threw in six turkey sausages, and they've been simmering for an hour or so, now. In another hour, I'll cook up some wheat pasta (or DH will), and we'll have it with a little side salad. That's about the best I can do today, and I've got to say, Cat, that I'll never match your style and grace in the kitchen, but I sure do enjoy hearing about your Creole magic!
I've never learned much about seasonings. My mother was English, and you know they cook everything with a bland, practically tasteless white sauce. Creamed peas, creamed carrots, creamed potatoes, even...good grief! She was a little on the heavy side, but not nearly as heavy as she should have been, the way she cooked! Once I got married, it was "Goodbye cream sauces, period!" About the most daring I've ever been with herbs was to put some mint into ground lamb and make burgers for the grille. My ex-husband's mother was a southern cook - introduced me to sweet potato pie & sweet potato pudding, in fact - but I don't recall her using much in the way of herbs, either. (Did I mention that I LOVE sweet potato pie & pudding? Now THAT's a real yum!) But she cooked almost all her green vegetables with salt pork. I haven't had them like that since she died, some fifteen years ago, when I was still with the ex. When I was down visiting my sister, though, in North Carolina, we all decided to go over to their local Cracker Barrel restaurant (they don't have them up around here that I know of) and I had green beans cooked like that, and they sure were good! Good OCCASIONALLY, I should say. I've taught myself to enjoy steamed veggies that are still a little on the crisp side.
Okay, enough running on, here...guess I'll go read some more, or sleep, or something not too strenuous. It's a good day (for me) to be a complete and total slug!

:grouphug:

Z

EZMONEY 08-11-2007 07:59 PM

HI GALS ~:wave:

I hope everyone is doing well tonight. I haven't been posting here, but it is NOT because of the items that have been previously posted. Again, thanking you for the support I have recieved.

I want to say, to those that think I had anything at all to do with changing the name of the thread from GOLDEN GIRLS, that I had nothing at all to do with it...never requested...never suggested it..never asked for it to be done. Some ladies wanted to find a way to include me, which was very sweet...but as I said I am totally fine being a one-man band here...until another guy comes along...;)

As far as any dis-respect or comparrison any of you felt from my comment about my golden retrievers being MY GOLDEN GIRLS...I am truly sorry...quite :?: confused :?: because that is so far from being true. I would never do something like that.

If I am not wanted here, just let me know. If you don't want me here just post it or PM me. I can understand some of you may not wanting a man on this site. If there is enough that don't want me I will leave...if there isn't I will stay and those that don't want me here can just easily scroll right on past my posts...it's pretty easy to do.

Now with all that being said ~ Can we move past this?! :hug: