Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #61  
Hopeless but harmless

Height: 5'5"

This one is fairly well known in the US but not here in the UK so sorry if it has already been posted.

Banana Ice cream

Peel (this is important) as many bananas as you want, slice into rounds and freeze ( I use a plastic bag) until rock hard.

Put the banana pieces a few at a time in a processor and blitz with a little skim milk. Keep adding milk until the consistency of soft ice cream.

Serve

I sometimes do this for the family with a little melted chocolate drizzled over the top of theirs
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #62  

Default Meatloaf/meatballs

Has anyone figured out the calories for this recipe? TIA

I know I've mentioned the meatloaf (and meatballs) that I make with Fiber One cereal before, and Karen just asked me if she'd missed the recipe, but of course she didn't because I never got around to posting it, but here it is if you're interested. (It's very EASY; I like easy. )

2 lbs. 93% lean ground beef
3 cups of Fiber One cereal, swizzled to bread crumb consistency in blender
2 eggs
1/2 large onion diced
1 medium green pepper diced
1/2 cup ketchup

Then, I usually use those thin latex gloves and smoosh it all together with my hands until everything is mixed together thoroughly, form it into a loaf, and bake on 375 for about an hour and a half.

(Can also form it into meatballs, and when I do that, I drop the meatballs into a pasta sauce made from Healthy Choice traditional-style pasta sauce, a can of diced tomatoes well drained, and simmer over low heat for an hour and a half or so. Serve over your favorite wheat pasta.

And thas' aaaaallllllll, folks!

Z[/QUOTE]
losinflab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #63  

Smile New to Thread and Banana Pudding for 2

I just found this thread and I love it. I live alone and am in a wheelchair. I haven't used my stove (notice the knobs are at the back) or oven for over 10 years. I totally rely on an old Quasar microwave [when it dies, I may too ]. I could use my oven but I hate to heat it for one. I had a toaster oven but needed the counter space. I look for easy recipes that can be made for 1 or 2 so I don't have so many leftovers, but they can also be multiplied for company or a pitch-in. I don't diet but I do follow a food plan with lots of fruits and vegetables. My problem is the supplements (chocolate, candy, pastry, chips, etc.). For my first "recipe" I'd like to submit this quickie:

Banana Pudding for 2

1 banana, overripe is okay
2-4 sugar-free single-serve vanilla pudding cups (4/$1 on sale)
graham crackers or vanilla wafer to taste

In two small containers (about 2 cups each) crumble 2 graham crackers or 3-4 vanilla wafers. Slice ripe banana evenly divided between the two cups. Top each cup with 1-2 containers vanilla pudding to cover banana. Can top with crumbs. Eat immediately or refrigerate an hour or more to allow flavors to merge.

I used boxed pudding but I figured out that the prepared cups are cheaper and shelf friendly. Substitute 2-3 ginger snaps for more zip. Graham teddy bears make it fun for kids. Sometimes I make only 1 and eat other half of banana, but it is nice having a grab-and-go treat that I know is healthy.
ozzie1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #64  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Pickled Eggs with Beet
12 medium sized hard boiled eggs
16 oz. can pickled beets, sliced or quartered (or pickle your own)
Sliced onions (optional)

Place peeled, cooled eggs in a 1 quart container. Pour beets and all the juice over eggs. Add onion slices, if desired. Chill. Turn the eggs from time to time to thoroughly pickle eggs and maintain nice uniform color throughout. These will be ready to eat in about 2 or 3 days.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #65  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Peanut Butter Balls
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup milk powder
¼ cup unsweetened coconut
¼ cup raisins, chopped
⅓ cup oatmeal
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup apple juice concentrate

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Shape into 1 inch balls. May roll in coconut. Store in refrigerator. Makes 15-20.

Last edited by retiredone; 12-23-2009 at 11:32 AM.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #66  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverGal View Post
Hi, all! This lasagna is easy to make, filling, and sooo tasty! I usually make a half recipe because the whole thing feeds an entire clan, but a half recipe gives hubby and I two full meals.

The recipe comes from the Cook Yourself Thin cookbook.

Spinach and Mushroom Veggie Lasagna
This sounds really good! Thanks!!
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Barley Pilaf with Toasted Almonds and Raisins Recipe
6 Servings

Ingredients
2 teaspoon oil, olive
1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
2 cup(s) broth, chicken, fat-free, salt-free
1 cup(s) barley, quick-cooking, uncooked
3 tablespoon nuts, almonds, sliced, toasted
3 tablespoon raisins, golden
2 tablespoon parsley, flat-leaf, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper, black ground
Preparation
1. Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add almonds and remaining ingredients; stir well. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 174, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Sodium: 309mg, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Total Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 32g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Protein: 5.5g
Carb Choices: 1.5
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Ginger Couscous Primavera
Makes 5 servings

INGREDIENTS
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/4 cups water
1 pkg. dried cherries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup couscous

1. In a large no-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 teaspoons of the oil. Add the onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the red peppers, yellow peppers, zucchini, squash, ginger and soy sauce; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.

2. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water, cherries, and lemon juice to a boil. Stir in the couscous and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes, or until the couscous is soft.

3. Fluff the couscous with a fork and place in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. You can make this a day ahead and serve it cold, if you wish.

Serves 5
Each serving =
279 calories
3.76 fat
61.4 carbs – (8 g fiber)
8 protein

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 12-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #69  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I cut way back on the butter, parmesan cheese and it was still good. I put 1/2 of it on a chicken pizza instead of the traditional tomato sauce. Very good

Healthier Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce
Prep Time: 5 Min Ready In: 10 Min
Cook Time: 5 Min Servings: 4
"This alfredo is great just a little lighter than before. Not as rich but still so tasty. Great when served with whole wheat noodles."
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese

Ingredients: (continued)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 cups non-fat milk
6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions:
1. Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth. Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan and pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long. Toss with hot pasta to serve.
Printed from Allrecipes.com 12/30/2009
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #70  
Bobbi

Mole Pinto Beans

Description
Mole is a distinctive Mexican sauce that contains chocolate (or cocoa, in this case). Eat it with salad and rice, fresh polenta, whole-wheat tortillas, or use as a filling for enchiladas.
Ingredients
Mole Sauce:
3 large tomatoes, chunked (OR about 2 cup canned, drained tomatoes from a 28-oz. can, or 1/4 cup tomato paste and 2/3 cup water)
1/2 cup vegetarian broth
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
3 tablespoons each unsweetened organic cocoa and roasted sesame seeds (or 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini)
2 tablespoons masa harina (Mexican corn tortilla flour)
2 tablespoons raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons good, dark chile powder (preferably ancho chile powder)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoons each salt and sugar or alternate
1/2 teaspoons ground anise
1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
Dash each of pepper and ground cloves or allspice
1 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
3 cans (or 4 1/2 cups cooked) pinto beans, drained

Instructions
Note: If you are serving this with rice, put a pot of long grain rice on to cook before starting the recipe.
1. In a blender, mix all of the ingredients except the last 1 1/2 cups of broth and the beans. Blend until very smooth. Add the remaining broth and blend again.
2. Pour the sauce over the beans in a nonstick pot or skillet and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #71  
Bobbi

Homemade Low-Fat Granola
Makes 9 servings
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 25 min
•4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
•1/3 cup sliced almonds
•2 teaspoons cinnamon
•1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
•1/4 cup maple syrup
•1/4 cup apple juice
•1 tablespoon vegetable oil
•1/2 cup raisins
Serve with:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir together oatmeal, almonds, cinnamon and salt, if desired, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk maple syrup, apple juice and vegetable oil; pour over oatmeal mixture and stir to coat thoroughly.
Spread mixture in an even layer onto a 15x12-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring twice during baking time.
Cool mixture in the pan before adding raisins. Store granola in an airtight container. To serve: Pour 1 cup of milk over a heaping 1/2 cup of granola. Top with fresh berries, if desired. Serving suggestion: Instead of milk, top 1 cup of fat-free yogurt with the granola.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #72  
Bobbi

Baked Egg Rolls
Quote:
Baked Egg Rolls
Ingredients:
2 cups grated carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups finely diced cooked chicken
4 teaspoons cornstarch 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pinch cayenne pepper
16 egg roll wrappers*
Directions:
1. Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp -tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar and cayenne until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Spray tops of egg rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #73  
Bobbi

Creamy Baked Mashed Potatoes
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and
quartered 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon salt Dash pepper
Directions:
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl; mash the potatoes. Add the remaining ingredients; mix well.
2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #74  
Bobbi

I'm going to try this today, I'll let you know how it taste. The last soup I shared was Miso soup, unfortunately I hadn't tried it yet. After cooking up the Miso soup I wanted to gag! Ick! So I deleted that recipe. I really should try this before posting but the ingredients sound good so here goes. It was taken off Dr. Weil's site, his recipes are usually pretty good. I'm going to tweak that one a bit, saute in zero spray instead of the oil.

Quote:
Ginger-Carrot Soup
Ingredients
2 teaspoons expeller-pressed canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger root
3 cups carrots, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
8 cups vegetable stock
Salt to taste
Dash of dry sherry
Dash of nutmeg
Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
Instructions
1. Heat the canola oil in a large pot, add the onion and ginger, and sauté, stirring, just until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the carrots, potato and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and boil gently until the vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
3. Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.
4. Add salt to taste and flavor with the sherry and nutmeg. Serve plain or garnished with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
Serves 4
Nutrients Per Serving
Calories: 140.8
Protein: 6.5 grams
Fat: 1.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.1 grams
Monounsat Fat: 0.6 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.5 grams
Carbohydrate: 24.8 grams
Fiber: 4.9 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 28,566. IU
Vitamin E: 0.7 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 11.2 mg
Calcium: 59.2 mg
Magnesium: 40.5 mg
Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #75  
Bobbi

Low calorie soups you can freeze in individual servings and use for lunches. These were taken off the allrecipe.com site, all are 4.5 star recipes. Go to their site and see how people have tweaked them to suit their own individual tastes. Most comments are helpful!

Quote:
Quick Italian Vegetable Soup
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Servings: 6
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped 2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 (16 ounce) can diced plum
tomatoes
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cubes beef bouillon
6 cups water
2 zucchinis, quartered and sliced 2 cups sliced cabbage
1 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and ground black pepper to
taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, carrot, and celery until onion is translucent and vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning, and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
2. Dissolve bouillon cubes in water, and stir into vegetables. Adjust heat to a medium simmer, and cook approximately 10 minutes. Add zucchini and cabbage, sprinkle with garlic salt, and cook until tender, 5 minutes more. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.

Cabbage Patch Soup
Servings: 6
"This vegetable soup recipe incorporates sauteed bacon bits and onion with cabbage and onions in a chicken broth. Sour cream and peas are added immediately before serving. "
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil 3 tablespoons bacon bits
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup sliced carrots 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaves
1 cup frozen green peas
3/4 cup sour cream
Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the bacon bits and onion in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Stir in the flour to coat well, then quickly pour in the chicken broth. Stir constantly for 3 minutes, or until somewhat thickened.
2. Next, add the cabbage, carrots, salt, ground black pepper and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and sour cream 1 minute before serving. Allow to heat through and remove bay leaf.

Vegan Mexican Stew Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes Servings: 8

Ingredients:
5 medium potatoes, peeled and
cubed 2 carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 1/2 cups water
4 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained or canned corn
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
with green chile peppers
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Place the potatoes, carrots, and celery in a pot with enough lightly salted water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook about 10 minutes, until slightly tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Place the 4 1/2 cups water and vegetable bouillon cubes in a pot. Bring to a boil, and cook until bouillon cubes have dissolved. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute the onion and garlic until tender. Season with chili powder, cumin, and seasoned salt. Mix in the potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cook and stir about 2 minutes, until heated through. Mix in the water and dissolved bouillon cube mixture, hominy, and diced tomatoes with green chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Tomato Dill Soup Cook Time: 1 Hour Servings: 4
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced 1 onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed
chicken broth
1 bay leaf
Directions:
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring until tender. Stir in the tomatoes and condensed chicken broth, and season with dill weed, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Directions: (continued)
2. Remove from heat, and discard bay leaf. Use a food processor or blender to puree the soup in small batches until smooth. Serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.