Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #1  

Default Intro and just what does water do for You...

Even though I joined this group a while back, yesterday was the first time I posted.

I'm 53 and I've started menopause (I think) and I think I deserve not to have any more periods.

Have two children - a girl (32) and a guy (24) and a darling SIL and two wonderful grandsons.

I've been married for 34 years to the man that was made just for me.

I decided yesterday to lose 30 pounds and I finally got on the scales this morning.

I could use some support, but at the same time I'd like to support others.

Now about this drinking water - I really don't mind at all and I even look forward to it. But I want to know how it has benefited you. Seems like I don't retain water as easily as when I was drinking upteen diet cokes a day.

What about you? How does drinking water help you?
Dorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #2  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey there Dorie, and welcome to the forums.
Well, I was thinking about your question - what has water done for me? Hmmm, its a fantastic question you see before I stated my lifestyle change i would probably drink... a glass of water every few days. I would live off of juice and fizzy drinks. Just a few days before my lifestyle change I bought three bottles of fizzy pop plus 2 cartons of juice... and guess what! They're all still there! The benefits I've seen by drinking water is just crazy - first of all everything inside my body is working smoothly I am able to go to the loo (toilet) every day and feel a lot more comfortable (no bloating or anything). Also the thing that really made me say "wow" about is my complexion. My skin is just GLOWING it looked so dull before and now it's hydrated with a rosy tint! Also I used to have quite badly small spots beneath my skin on my upper arms... they're still there but EXTREMELY less in number and they're not red anymore. I know it's water and all the healthy options I'm taking. I drink about 3 litres a day.
Good luck on your journey!
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply. It helps to know what drinking more water actually does to real folks and not just the science theories.

I am actually enjoying the water and my ankles are not holding water like they used to. That makes it worth it all.

An added benefit is that I'm not drinking near as many diet cokes. I am at work by 7 so I start the day with a DC. Well, I just got through with lunch and am finishing my second one. And that will be it for me today. Usually by now I would have finished my 4th DC and thinking about getting another. But I'm gonna have my water.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorie View Post

What about you? How does drinking water help you?
It helps me know that having that bladder lift a couple of years ago was a REALLY great idea!!! (had one along with hysterectomy)

Kidding aside, my skin looks better with more water! I'm not a big soft drink drinker...mostly coffee and iced tea, but adding more water has made me feel better overall.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

My favourite thing about drinking lots of water is indeed the fact that it hekps your body keep things "moving" properly . . . the more water you drink the less your body feels it is necessary to retain it, and the less you retain water, the less of it you have to deal with at the scale.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #6  

I agree with that for sure!!! I usually have to take a water pill everyday and that didn't take the fluid down a lot.

Now that I'm drinking what I should, water retention is at an all time minimum and I can live with that.

I'm a little disappointed that I only lost 3 pounds this past week, but since this is the way I should eat, I'm okay with that.

I certainly haven't suffered at all...