South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #1  

Default Going out to dinner Phase1 - Advice Needed

So on Sunday I have to go out to eat with a friend thats coming in from out of town and wants to go out to dinner with all his friends here. He is a vegetarian, and since this is the midwest.. that means we will end up at a Chinese restaurant (most likely).

I'm currently in phase 1 of SBD. I am doing so great. I have not cheated at all. I really do not want to be knocked back so far that I am essentially starting over.

Do you have any advice on things I should look for on the gigantic menu? Should I go with a soup and not eat the rice.. or should I go with some dish that has veggies and meat and not eat the rice? Are there some sauces that are better then others?

Any advice is appreciated. I can't go and not eat anything... that would be kinda rude. I am already giving up a social occasion on Saturday because the menu is really high carb and I just don't have much choice there.

I know that being on SBD doesn't mean I should give up a social life.. but since I just started I don't feel I should go off plan that much.. where later I will be in later phases. and might be able to sneak in one "free" day now and then (ie. if I end up with a place that does not have low carb or good carb options).
Old 04-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #2  

Chinese is a tough one. I know that egg drop soup is good, but you can't really have just that for dinner. I've heard that the brown sauce is high in sugar and of course the rice is a big no-no. Hmmm...... If someone has the Good Carbs, Good Fats guide handy, there's a section on dining out at the end. I'm at work, or I would check it out for you.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:09 AM   #3  
Running Babe

Tonic: How about something like Beef and Broccoli or Chicken and Broccoli? I don't think that sauce is too high in sugar, but I could be wrong. You could also inquire to how things are cooked and what are the meals cooked in. Some of the stirfries/chow miens should be okay too. I just finished day 4, it's getting easier. I discovered that I like Ricotta cheese..

When I lost my initital weight, I had a "free meal" once a week, I still lost loads.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 AM   #4  

What you could do is ask for you sauce on the side and use it very sparingly.
If you go with chinese. Egg drop soup, a stirfry with veggies and chicken or tofu.

It is a bit harder if someone is a vegetarian. Maybe they eat pasta and you can go to a place like TGI Fridays which has an Atkins approved menu. YOU can have the spinach dip with raw veggies and an etree that is Atkins approved. Your friend can have a salad or pasta with marinara sauce, a veggie burger and I think they also have portabello burgers that are very good.

Good luck.

Last edited by chilichick; 04-23-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #5  

I've found steakhouses to be the best places to go and stay on plan. Guess that doesn't help you very much though, huh?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #6  
Chickpea

Between now and Sun. I'd scout out some Chinese restaurants in your area and look at their menus. Some have shrimp (if you like that). Get shrimp or chicken or beef with veggies. No noodle, no rice, no wontons. If you can go to the restaurant in advance, you can ask what is put in their items. Then maybe you can steer your friends to one place you picked out. I have not gone to a Chinese restaurant yet (since being on SBD), but that is what I'd do. Hmm. Maybe egg foo yung would be OK?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #7  
I found my hipbones!

Lordy, do I miss Chinese and Japanese food! Be sure to ask for no MSG; it has a very high glycemic index.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #8  

kayzan - Thanks for some info. I'll avoid the brown sauce.

sweater girl - Whew! Its good to know that someone has lost with a "free" meal. I have lost so much this week so far (which is really weird to me), that I would hate to ruin all that effort. I'll check out the beef and broccoli or chicken and brocolli. Thats a good suggestion. Not my favorite dish, but oh well

chilichick - Are you sure they would not kick me out of the restaurant if I asked for the sauce on the side? Just kidding. I'll see about that or check out the soup. I could always supplement my meal later. Thanks!

wendy - hehe.. I agree steak places are much easier to get the food I need. However, since my friend is vegetarian he won't step in those places at all!

Chickpea - Shrimp is an awesome idea. I think what I am worried about most is the hidden ingrediants in the sauces. I know which Chinese place he will probably pick and they have a huge menu.. so they must have one of the items people have mentioned.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully my willpower will win out!
Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #9  

Tonic -
You're near me! Well Kinda.

We totally avoided the chinese restraunts. However, maybe you can have Wonton, and skip the wontons. Then you can have chicken cow I think it's called. It's almost all veggies and in a very light sauce.

I suggest eating something before you go, and that way you won't feel stuck.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #10  

pebbles - Yup.. just a couple hours south of you. I'm not native to Illinois though. I have never heard of a chicken cow...... that sounds scary Is it?
Old 04-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #11  

My DH ordered it once. It was good. Just like stir fry with a light sauce.

But most everything has gobs of sugar - so it's going to be difficult.

I'm from Ohio, so I just know that Urbana is near Champaigne.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #12  

Most of the Chiese restaurants around her offer a diet menu. Basically its several dishes w/ steamed veggies, sauce on the side, no MSG and steamed rice. Skip the rice (oh no, the best part!!!), and use the sauce sparingly. Lots of them have cornstarch even if they have no added sugar. The usual offerings here are chicken/beef/shrimp with mixed vegetables.

I can't say no to the rice there, so I am just staying out and making my own stir fry at home. Not as good, but it will have to do.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #13  

I have a Chinese friend who says that only Westerners will order from the menu in Chinese restaurants. The Chinese order exactly what they want. You may be able to order a large meat and vege stir fry with no sauces, rice or noodles. Drinks lots of water with it.
Closed Thread