South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #1  
Hot Stuff

Default Can't do salad...lunch ideas?

I can't eat raw veggies, salads included. I do occasionally have a caesar salad, but we're talking like maybe once a month. Any ideas for lunches that don't involve salads?

Also, there is no possible way I can eat four cups of vegetables in a day. It would kill me. Think I can reduce that as long as I'm not hungry?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:28 PM   #2  

Stuffed Zuccini with ham and low fat cheese. Or just do dinner style lunches (meat and veggies) but in a smaller portion.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

What the heck do you mean, "I can't do salad."?!? You mean you don't LIKE them, or they don't sit well with you? Wildfire, I thought I was the only one who hated veggies!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #4  
Chickpea

Try spaghetti squash. Does anyone NOT like it??
Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 AM   #5  
Hot Stuff

Thanks for the ideas! This part of it is going to be a challenge for me.

Ellis, it's the IBS. Salads or any raw veggies leave me in intestinal distress. I like them, they just don't like me!

Day one, here we go!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #6  

Oh, Wild! I forgot that you have IBS, too! I'm so sorry. The only thing that's bothering my IBS right now is raisins. (ouch!)
What about tomatoes? Do those kill you? I know they're a fruit... Those little grape tomatoes are lovely to munch on.
I keep going on and on about this, but DH often makes me a frittata with a lot of cooked veggies in it. (zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc) You could take it cold to work, and heat it up. Although it's pretty good cold, too.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #7  

How about leftovers from dinner the night before? Or ham & cheese rollups. Deviled eggs?............Jo
Old 04-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #8  
Hot Stuff

Great ideas! I was stumped...looking through the meal planner on their website, pretty much every lunch is a salad of some kind.

Ellis, I'm hoping that this diet might help with the IBS. I've heard it happens. I don't really like raw tomatoes, but cooked I do. Chili would be an easy option to make ahead and freeze.

Okay, I feel better now.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I have noticed about an 90% improvement on my IBS. or rather, it has changed from running to the bathroom all the time, to barely running at all, so maybe it's still there. But I'd much rather not go at all than go 10 times in an hour!

I can't do salads either, and I really don't even like them. I usually do the meat and a veggie thing. I like turkey burgers myself, but will also do chicken or leftover whatever we had for dinner. I do chicken or tuna "salad" a lot too, by mixing up some mayo with shredded tuna or chicken and adding other stuff like i'll put olives and cukes in mine and some cheese usually.
It's really hard when you can't find something good to eat that doesn't set off your ibs.
Are you able to eat cooked veggies? Because I just get frozen stuff in a bag and nuke them. Just a thought...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #10  
Hot Stuff

Hey lizziness...great to hear your IBS has improved! I'm okay with cooked veggies, as long as I don't have too much broccoli/cauliflower, and not a large quantity of veggies in a day. I'm going to be cautious starting out, and hopefully my gut will adjust.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #11  

My favorite lunch of the moment is a can of black beans rinsed (the whole can), about 3/4 cup taco meat (I make it with ground turkey breast and the taco seasoning mix), about 1/4 cup of the shredded mixed cheeses mexican style and as much salsa as you like. I mix this all up and then take it with me for lunch. It quick, easy and heats up very well.

Not very pretty to look at but smells good, tastes good and meets my requirement for quantity and something that will stick with me.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #12  

I thought part of the problem with IBS was the lack of fibre presently in the diet and roughage improved it? My sister and cousin have it and control it with low-dairy, low-fat and high fibre foods including wholemeal bread and loads of vegies.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:21 AM   #13  

It can be part of the problem, Chick, but some things will exacerbate the problem, regardless of how much roughage they provide.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #14  

Yes, they both say stress is the worse. I would probably eat as much cooked vegies as you can safely tolerate for now and aim to increase it to the required amount. My sister always seems healthier when she is eating a lot of vegies but I notice she has bad patches where she tries to stick to wholemeal bread, rolled oats and herbal teas. If you have a microwave at work then you could have leftovers, otherwise this is pretty difficult. I still get really hungry if I don't eat at least three cups of vegies a day, and this is when I have extra nuts and cheese snacks. Obviously this is going to slow down the weight loss but if staying OP is going to make you unwell then a slightly slower loss is better.
Closed Thread