Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #1  

Default Cheese Alternatives

I started IP last Tuesday and it has been pretty smooth sailing. I am staying 100% on protocol. The one thing I really miss is cheese.

Has anyone found a good replacement for cheese? Even a cheese flavor might help curb these craving a bit.

Thanks
ChickInAHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #2  

I use popcorn seasoning on some items. There's usually a cheddar one you can use. I do find they are fairly salty though.

I also know there are a few people that use 2oz of cheddar instead of their skim milk allowance. If you use a coach, I would encourage your to discuss that option with them though.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
I use popcorn seasoning on some items. There's usually a cheddar one you can use. I do find they are fairly salty though.

I also know there are a few people that use 2oz of cheddar instead of their skim milk allowance. If you use a coach, I would encourage your to discuss that option with them though.
Thank you. I am not using any milk right now and was thinking if I just allowed myself a few ozs a week as a treat I should be ok. I will give it another week to see if I still crave it though first .
ChickInAHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickInAHat View Post
Thank you. I am not using any milk right now and was thinking if I just allowed myself a few ozs a week as a treat I should be ok. I will give it another week to see if I still crave it though first .
Best bet is very good Parmesan, grated off a chunk- a lot of flavour for a small amount and extremely low in carbs. The more aged the cheese the less you need for that cheesy flavour.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I don't know a cheese alternative, but occasionally I will order a salad with cheese (like a chicken caeser) or sometimes make grilled buffalo chicken tenders and dip them in a tiny bit of blue cheese dressing and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Granted, this is maybe 1-2x per month, but I don't think a very small serving of cheese every now and then will affect your losses.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/181/155

Height: 5'9"

I make a killer nacho vegan cheeze--- Key ingredients are white miso, cashews and nutritional yeast. Sometimes I stir in a can of Rotel....OMG so good. I go by taste now that I've made it so many times, but here's a similar recipe:

Cashew Cheese Sauce

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp miso paste

Drain the drain the water from the soaking cashews and add the cashews to a blender. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, water, salt, and miso to the blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Pour over veggies and enjoy.
Swenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

1oz skim milk = 10 calories

2oz cheddar = 200+ calories

Just a suggestion for the newbies
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/149.6/115

Height: 5.0

I feel your pain!!! I have been on IP for 3 weeks now and I miss cheese terribly. However, I miss it less now. The success that comes from NOT eating the cheese is doing the trick for me... so hang in there, wait until your first weigh in and the success will soothe your palate!
Tee4Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #9  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Just a note for newbies: Cheese and cheese alternatives (including cashews) aren't on the protocol, so you may notice a change in your weight loss pattern if you choose to go off protocol.

ChickInAHat, I believe IP has some savory snacks that are cheese flavored. If you're using alternative products, you could try Quest chips in the cheddar flavor.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 154/122.2/110

Height: 5'0"

Some of the alternative packaged foods have "Cheese" in their title, though I don't have any idea if they actually have a cheese taste or not.
dinkydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

I was 100% alt-product and in P2 around Halloween, but apparently there is now a mac & cheese - some people like it, others say its inedible. I've seen some people using the cheese-like product in other recipes.

Unfortunately the cashew / miso recipe above would be ok for P4, but is no where near protocol for P1
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #12  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Go veggie is a soy product that can help satisfy a craving for cheese. I discussed with my coach back when I first started IP and she okayed it for limited use, 1oz 2-3 times a week instead of milk allowance.
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

So... I'm just gonna be the mean one here and say put on your big girl panties and get over it. I think part of this for me is being in control of my food. I NEED nourishment. I WANT cheese. I can live without my wants.

I do like the IP southwest cheese curls. Plus, you get a lot in a package. Also, there is a mac and cheese option. I'd suggest rolling with those and staying on protocol.
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote