3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Cheese Alternatives (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/307651-cheese-alternatives.html)

ChickInAHat 01-04-2016 11:47 AM

Cheese Alternatives

I started IP last Tuesday and it has been pretty smooth sailing. I am staying 100% on protocol. The one thing I really miss is cheese.

Has anyone found a good replacement for cheese? Even a cheese flavor might help curb these craving a bit.

Thanks

mamacitaof2 01-04-2016 11:52 AM

I use popcorn seasoning on some items. There's usually a cheddar one you can use. I do find they are fairly salty though.

I also know there are a few people that use 2oz of cheddar instead of their skim milk allowance. If you use a coach, I would encourage your to discuss that option with them though.

ChickInAHat 01-04-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 (Post 5226777)
I use popcorn seasoning on some items. There's usually a cheddar one you can use. I do find they are fairly salty though.

I also know there are a few people that use 2oz of cheddar instead of their skim milk allowance. If you use a coach, I would encourage your to discuss that option with them though.

Thank you. I am not using any milk right now and was thinking if I just allowed myself a few ozs a week as a treat I should be ok. I will give it another week to see if I still crave it though first :).

canadjineh 01-04-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickInAHat (Post 5226859)
Thank you. I am not using any milk right now and was thinking if I just allowed myself a few ozs a week as a treat I should be ok. I will give it another week to see if I still crave it though first :).

Best bet is very good Parmesan, grated off a chunk- a lot of flavour for a small amount and extremely low in carbs. The more aged the cheese the less you need for that cheesy flavour.

jennydoodle 01-04-2016 04:12 PM

I don't know a cheese alternative, but occasionally I will order a salad with cheese (like a chicken caeser) or sometimes make grilled buffalo chicken tenders and dip them in a tiny bit of blue cheese dressing and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Granted, this is maybe 1-2x per month, but I don't think a very small serving of cheese every now and then will affect your losses.

Swenea 01-04-2016 04:29 PM

I make a killer nacho vegan cheeze--- Key ingredients are white miso, cashews and nutritional yeast. Sometimes I stir in a can of Rotel....OMG so good. I go by taste now that I've made it so many times, but here's a similar recipe:

Cashew Cheese Sauce

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp miso paste

Drain the drain the water from the soaking cashews and add the cashews to a blender. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, water, salt, and miso to the blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Pour over veggies and enjoy.

IdealProteinNewbie 01-04-2016 07:24 PM

1oz skim milk = 10 calories

2oz cheddar = 200+ calories

Just a suggestion for the newbies

Tee4Tee 01-04-2016 07:32 PM

I feel your pain!!! I have been on IP for 3 weeks now and I miss cheese terribly. However, I miss it less now. The success that comes from NOT eating the cheese is doing the trick for me... so hang in there, wait until your first weigh in and the success will soothe your palate!

HereIStand 01-05-2016 10:08 AM

Just a note for newbies: Cheese and cheese alternatives (including cashews) aren't on the protocol, so you may notice a change in your weight loss pattern if you choose to go off protocol.

ChickInAHat, I believe IP has some savory snacks that are cheese flavored. If you're using alternative products, you could try Quest chips in the cheddar flavor.

dinkydee 01-17-2016 04:39 PM

Some of the alternative packaged foods have "Cheese" in their title, though I don't have any idea if they actually have a cheese taste or not.

hysteria_625 01-17-2016 08:01 PM

I was 100% alt-product and in P2 around Halloween, but apparently there is now a mac & cheese - some people like it, others say its inedible. I've seen some people using the cheese-like product in other recipes.

Unfortunately the cashew / miso recipe above would be ok for P4, but is no where near protocol for P1

frawniemae 01-18-2016 07:56 AM

Go veggie is a soy product that can help satisfy a craving for cheese. I discussed with my coach back when I first started IP and she okayed it for limited use, 1oz 2-3 times a week instead of milk allowance.

beaka 01-18-2016 08:14 PM

So... I'm just gonna be the mean one here and say put on your big girl panties and get over it. I think part of this for me is being in control of my food. I NEED nourishment. I WANT cheese. I can live without my wants.

I do like the IP southwest cheese curls. Plus, you get a lot in a package. Also, there is a mac and cheese option. I'd suggest rolling with those and staying on protocol.