Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #76  
Aww, look at the bunny!

S/C/G: 200/174/162

Height: 5' 9"

Hi. *waves* I'm a chemistry student, on my last semester (of undergraduate, at least).

I started getting interested in weight training when I was thinking about how metabolism works...I mean, anything that lets you eat more ice cream without getting fatter seemed like a winning deal to me. I'm a student, so I signed up for a weight training class last semester and now I'm hooked. I love being stronger, I love that my back pain has subsided, I love the new shape my body is taking. (I'm sure it will be even better if I can shed some of the fat it's hiding under.) My big pipe dream: to someday do an unassisted pull-up...got a long way to go on that one, but it does a surprisingly good job of keeping me motivated.

At the moment I'm more focused on fat loss than strength gain, and I'm going at the fat with a combination of rigorous cardio (I'm learning how to run...yes, learning, I was never very active as a child, so this is pretty new.) and some diet modifications.

Height: 5' 9"
Starting, current and target bodyweight (in pounds): 200, 196, 162
Body Fat %: 36% (according to a three site skinfold test 1/5/07)

Wish me luck! (Well, maybe not luck so much as resolve. Scratch that, do wish me luck, I've got resolve, but particularly bad luck could completely ruin my well-laid plans.)
twistedhoneydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Hey, y'all. I've been reading all of the great posts, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm fast approaching the big 4-0 and I want to celebrate that milestone by greeting a healthier, happier me. So far, I've been committed to weights and eating right for going on three weeks now and I feel good. Just wanted to say "hey!"
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #78  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hey, Kylie! And

Come and join us on the chat thread!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 164 164 124

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Hysterectomy....

Hi I'm Liz,
I had always been thin until my complete Hysterectomy at 30. I packed on 50 pounds over the 15 years and trying to lose it is unbelievably hard! I have all kinds of will power and I'm a chef by trade . I teach healthy eating and develop all my recipes myself for Williams- Sonoma. Food is not a problem. I have seen every GYN and endocrinologist and no help.

I will lose a small 5 -8 pounds tops and that is really watching it. Now a friend does the same diet and she'll lose 20. So I'm starting with a personal trainer today to get the more muscle then fat going. Wish me luck I'll keep trying.

Liz
Lizzy Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 230/228/150

i've already been up at 3 a.m to head to the gym. did 40 minutes and went and bought some groceries. then came home and slept. lol...can't seem to give up going to the gym at that time even when i don't have to work. i like the quiet time.

about me...well my name is sheila, i'm 37, married with 3 girls, one of whom is expecting her first baby in april *sniff* i can't possibly be old enough to be a grandma.

anyways, i work 10 hour shifts sewing auto interior in a factory. i work mon-thursday so always have long weekends to recover.

i first did bfl over 7 years ago before i got married and got down to 170lbs. but after i got married i let stuff get in the way and have been on and off the program. either way, however it happened, i ended up here heavier than i have ever been and committed to lose it all and keep it off.
1970baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Hi, my name is Keri and I am returning newbie to weight training. I say returning because when I was slimmer some years ago I was lifting weights 3-4x a week but I really didn't know much about the science of increasing muscle mass.
Now that I have so much weight to lose, it has finally dawned on me that I need to add some of that wonderful muscle to burn more calories. I was really influenced by the book The Cardio Free Diet. However, I still to do some cardio to increase my stamina.
I have been reading books about weight training to get most of my info. The ladies at my gym don't seem interested in serious resistance training so it's mainly a solo effort on my part.
I am very happy to have found this forum. It has so many helpful articles and links plus it's a great place to ask questions. I am looking forward to spending time here.

Keri
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 236/209/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi all
I'm Lyndsey and I joined a gym called Pace last month (it's just like Curves) and it's weight resistance. I go about 5 times a week. I weighed and measured on the weekend and I lost only 4 pounds, but I lost 9 inches and 2% of my body fat. I was pleasantly surprised
Starlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

Hi Folks

I figured I should introduce myself here being that I have not participated in this part of the board before even though I joined 3fc a few months ago. I am 42, no kids, never married, been on 50 first dates, live with 2 cats and a pile of fancy goldfish, and have a slew of interests.

I started weight lifting in my mid 20's (1980's), thankfully training with a man who had been a natural body builder for probably 20/30 years, and operated body building competitions. He took me to the "guys" part of the gym and taught me to train with free weights and a few machines. He gave me a great foundation to work from. Later, I trained in a small gym owned and operated by a body builder who was passionate about the sport. He used to come over to make sure I was training properly and, again, gave me some great advice on how to work out.

I started my body reclaiming journey March 2008 at about 183lbs with the following measurements:
chest - 43
waist - 36
hips - 42
thigh - 25
bicep - 12
calves - 16.25

Currently, I weigh in between 146 - 149 with the following measurements:
chest - 38
waist - 31
hips - 37
thigh - 22
bicep - 11
calves - 14.75

My current workout routine is usually 2 days of weights in the gym - upper and lower body - usually doing 4 or 5 sets of 6 to 12 reps with increasing weights, and 1 or 2 days of yoga. I eat a clean diet with barely any wheat or sugar in it, and work as a bartender and waitress so get in heaps of walking at work. I have always weighed in heavy because of muscle, and have a current weight goal of 135. I am waffling around trying to remove the last 10/15 lbs but am happy to say that at least I am maintaining. I am looking forwards to getting and giving inspiration in this part of the forum.

Hello everyone!
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 172/165/130

Height: 5'4

Hello everyone,

My name is Sabrina, I'm 21, and a criminal justice student at my local community college. I'm engaged and have been with my fiance for almost a year and a half. I was at a comfortable weight when I met him. I felt great and didn't hate my body. Now a year and a half later I'm about 25-30 lbs heaver. I could call it "happy weight", blame it on the fact that he can eat anything and not gain a pound, or just make excuses. But, I'm just going to take responsibility. I was lazy, fell head over heals with my fiance and food as well!
I started calorie counting awhile back and lost 8 lbs, then fell off due to you guessed it, being lazy. So I started up again today with a new determination. My wedding is in June and I want to be able to wear a bikini on our honeymoon. Also I graduate in May and in order to be hired by a police department, part of the hiring process includes a fitness test which I would fail if I had to take it today. I'm not going to let something like this that I have control over keep me away from my dream!

My original starting weight when I began calorie counting before was 172lbs. After falling off I was actually able to maintain the weight loss and am restarting at 165lbs. My goal weight is 130lbs.

I've been going to the gym off an on this last month and have been doing cardio and weight training. I love weight training. I'm looking into getting a personal trainer once a week to help me attain my goals. I'm terrible at staying motivated and I think a pt would be the kick in the pants I need!

One of my biggest goals is to be able to do 25 push ups. Right now I can barely do one good one. My overall fitness goals include: 25 pushups, 29 sit ups in a minute, run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes and xx seconds (I can't rememeber exact time) and jump 16 inches. These are the requirements to be hired by the police deparments in my area. They are also the requirements for entering and exiting the police academy.
Tekakwitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #85  
GI in training

Height: 5"7

May 2011

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 189
Chest: Never measured.. but bigger!!
Rib Cage: ""
Waist: 33
Hips: 46
Thighs: 25
Biceps: 14
BF 32%
Body Muscle: 64%

April 2012

Weight: 132
Chest: 34
Rib Cage: 29
Waist: 26
Hips: 38
Thighs: 20
Biceps: 10 1/2
BF 19.1%
Body Muscle: 80.8%
Butterfly1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

hi. i'm a 43 year old SAHM former critical care nurse. i have been trying to lose weight my entire adult life. i was here before i had my last kid (now 20 months old) and was able to lose ~50 pounds.

i gained it all back (and then some) during pregnancy, lost it again right to where i am now. just stuck here. weight training has changed my body shape and ability to do things, but i still would like very much to get to the 181 weight class and compete in powerlifting. at the weight i am now, i have no chance ever winning even a state competition.

hoping if i hang around here i will get more mpotivated to not just lift heavy, but watch what i eat and be consistent with cardio.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #87  

Default Boost weight loss, and look great!

Very optimistic about what you think. Just like how to achieve? ?
slimhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #88  
Starting to lose

S/C/G: 298/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I notice it's a little dead here, but I'm hoping it picks up a bit more. I'm Meredith, and I've become addicted to weight lifting...(cue other people welcoming me to the addict circle lol) Weight loss isn't happening, but lots of gains as far as strength. Going to see a nutritionist next week to get the nutrition on track, and a therapist to get my head in the right place. Hope to lose some fat and keep the muscle!
shea5 is offline   Reply With Quote