Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Any others out there home all day while kids in school?

My kids leave for school at 8:15 and get home around 3:10. Which means I hae the entire day to myself. Why do I run errands? Dilly dally online, watch TV, do yet another load of laundry or clean the house one more time? I can find any reason to run to Target. I have told myself for OVER a year - why oh why don't I just go to the gym and stay there - like the gym is MY JOB? I have the membership - AND since my Dr. wrote a letter of medical necessity - my FSA will pay for my membership. I could do the treadmill, lift weights, go for a swim hit the sauna and hot tub -why don't I? After school and after homework / dinner, I could take the kids back with me and do the treadmill a 2nd time. WHY don't I make this my JOB? My husband has said before - the people on the biggest loser workout so much - in reality - eh, I don't know if they work out 7 hours ad ay, who knows, maybe they do. So - that's my plan - go to the gym M-F at 8:30 pack my swimsuit - stay there until 2 - come home, shower and be ready for carpool. I can even pack a lunch and have that at the gym. Overkill? Too much too soon? Nope - I'm making this my job -
ETA - my days while the kids are in school are always full with Random trip to Dr. for myself or a kid, volunteering in the school, bible study, that sort of thing - so it's not like I literally sit on my butt all day. There are days when I'm busy non-stop from the time they leave until they get home...but my point was that I need to fill that time in with more exercise

Last edited by chickadee2; 12-08-2012 at 10:39 PM.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I get what you're saying and I do think that you should take advantage of the gym and the time you have available to use it. I do want to say that you don't have to workout to lose weight but it's a very healthy endeavor. However, working out for 7 hours a day....I don't know if that's all that healthy, especially if you're out of shape. Just my thoughts so I hope you don't mind me saying it. It really comes down to how much you're eating than how much you workout. However, if you're at the gym then you're not doing boredom eating, so I guess that's a good thing. Anyway, I think it's great that you have all this motivation to go. Go for it and let us know how it all works out!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

I don't have kids, but I am home all day. I go to college from home!

When ever I am bored, I just go to the gym or go for a walk or play the ps3!

I can't lie the ps3 is always my first choice!

Last edited by Fatness; 12-09-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added more information.
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #4  

I don't think I could do it for 7 hours a day - but I keep hearing move move move. I think I could handle 2.5 hours at the gym, with the treadmill and swimming and sauna. Then home for shower and maybe later in the day try the walk off the pounds DVD. I am working on a diet and menu - I am borderline diabetes and my Dr. could care less. I tested at a 100 in May and lately I have felt worse - esp after having sugar - he is not worried...but what if I have gone OVER 100? I know weight loss will help correct it - but I am also modifying - SERIOUSLY modifying what I eat and snack on. A butterfinger just doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy feeling for me as it once did. I'd rather have a cheese stick or a spoonful of natural peanut butter. I'm learning about sugars and trying to increase my protein...all the while trying to manage my time. Because when you have the day all to yourself it can slip away - so I want to treat it like a job - that's the new plan.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

I'm home all day. My kids are all grown up and moved out tho. I dilly dally all day putzing with this or that, cleaning this or that. Whatever I want to do. Except workout. I use to love working out and did it everyday for YEARS. Seems like now that I'm older I just don't wanna. But I know it would be good for me.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee2 View Post
I don't think I could do it for 7 hours a day - but I keep hearing move move move. I think I could handle 2.5 hours at the gym, with the treadmill and swimming and sauna. Then home for shower and maybe later in the day try the walk off the pounds DVD. I am working on a diet and menu - I am borderline diabetes and my Dr. could care less. I tested at a 100 in May and lately I have felt worse - esp after having sugar - he is not worried...but what if I have gone OVER 100? I know weight loss will help correct it - but I am also modifying - SERIOUSLY modifying what I eat and snack on. A butterfinger just doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy feeling for me as it once did. I'd rather have a cheese stick or a spoonful of natural peanut butter. I'm learning about sugars and trying to increase my protein...all the while trying to manage my time. Because when you have the day all to yourself it can slip away - so I want to treat it like a job - that's the new plan.

You need a new doctor; because you need some one who cares about you!

You have a plan already you just have to follow it through. You are stating everything you want and what you are doing to create a healthier you! You have it together already! Good luck!
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #7  

Hi, I am a 20-something, but I have been home all day since I quit my job. I used to think oh hey I have more time to do things, I'll be out all the time. But NO. I have a lot more incentive to do stuff when I have a routine outside of the home. I go outside and I think "I won't have to be here, I might as well be home." and the crap diet I have been following probably doesn't help things either. It seems counterproductive and technically it is easier to do things when I don't have to work the 9-5, but emotionally...I just feel far less motivation. So I totally getcha. I'm getting fed up tho, because it is showing evidence on my body, so I have to stop this no matter what.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #8  

yah i have no kids too but i am home most of the day...i do walk twice a day..not much but some now doing pilates session twice a day too...again not much...starting hydro exercises today...and looking forward to it...the housework is exercise for me too..i have physical limitations that frustrate the heck out of me so i am taking baby steps but trying!!...cheers liz
lizarddau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Working out for seven hours a day is ridiculous. How about you start with two intense hours.....that is what I did, then became a group fitness instructor. Believe me, noone spends all day at the gym like that unless they work there,,,,you don't need to be there all day to get the workout you need.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

I found this kind of all or nothing/wishful thinking to be really poisonous for me. Beating myself up because I wasn't working out for some ridiculous length of time, wondering why I didn't dedicate myself completely to something, wishing I just had the motivation or whatever to get up and go - none of it is helpful. If anything, it is harmful because it creates stress and complacency by making the problem unsolvable. What you can't do is unimportant. All that matters is that you do better today than you did yesterday, or last week, or last year. Make a plan that you know you can do, maybe to go for a walk or follow an aerobics plan on tv, or get to the gym at a specific time and date this week for a specific type of workout. Think of 3 things you can do that increase your activity level. Nothing has to be forever, but you do do have to start somewhere. If you start where you're at and don't overwhelm yourself with trying to catch up or do it all at once, you'll find it's a lot easier.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
I found this kind of all or nothing/wishful thinking to be really poisonous for me. Beating myself up because I wasn't working out for some ridiculous length of time, wondering why I didn't dedicate myself completely to something, wishing I just had the motivation or whatever to get up and go - none of it is helpful. If anything, it is harmful because it creates stress and complacency by making the problem unsolvable. What you can't do is unimportant. All that matters is that you do better today than you did yesterday, or last week, or last year. Make a plan that you know you can do, maybe to go for a walk or follow an aerobics plan on tv, or get to the gym at a specific time and date this week for a specific type of workout. Think of 3 things you can do that increase your activity level. Nothing has to be forever, but you do do have to start somewhere. If you start where you're at and don't overwhelm yourself with trying to catch up or do it all at once, you'll find it's a lot easier.
Thank you! That's wonderful advice that I think I will take.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #12  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I used to plan a couple of hours at the gym, twice a week for a yoga class. I'd go to the gym, treadmill for about 10-15 minutes walking, do the class and then round it off with 15-20 minutes in the sauna with a book. But even if I skipped everything else, it was my goal to get to yoga. Maybe you have a friend who'd like to do it with you.

So my suggestion, is "make an appointment", and keep it simple. You don't have to go every day and make it a chore. I like the idea a previous poster suggested. Find something specific, like a class, or just a decision to do X or Y on a certain day. Put it on your calendar like an appointment. Or make Monday/Wednesday your gym days, or Tuesday/Thursday. Something that's consistent and you can plan around, like a job.

You'd think it would be easy being a SAHM. You have aaalllll daaaaay. Nope, not so much!

Isn't the blood sugar high normal cut off 99? I was borderline too, but I was never concerned because it was barely above the normal high. I think mine was also at 100, with the cut-off high at 99. Something really close like that. I had a doctor who FREAKED... I fired the guy. He was only trying to sell his weight loss plan, because that seems to be where the money is at these days. My new doc ran the HbA1c test for diabetes and it was well within normal range. That's a test worth asking for if you're really worried.

You're overweight, and that affects your ability to metabolize sugar at a cellular level. Insulin resistance. As you lose, this will improve. It sounds like you have a good, solid plan in place, and you're already doing what you need to do. You're doing exactly what a smart doctor would suggest. If you think it would help, ask your doc about diabetes medication. Perhaps it will help you with your weight loss. I tried it for about a month, but I didn't feel any better by taking it, and my weight loss didn't improve, so I stopped. My last blood test showed a normal blood sugar.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #13  

I have very much enjoyed reading each of your responses! Thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #14  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I am home all day with the kids in school, and try very hard to make health and fitness my top priority during those hours... But that doesn't mean just going to the gym for me. It also includes the time it takes to make wonderful salads for lunch, to shop for wonderful, healthy food for dinner, etc.

The thing that I battle with is that my husband works from home when he's not traveling for business. And I feel guilty if it looks like I'm having too much fun while he works all day... but I know he supports me and my endeavor, so I have to not use that as an excuse to *not* go for a walk on a beautiful day, for example.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #15  

Newleaf, my situation is the same as yours: kids in school all day, and a husband who works away from home 6 months out of the year, and home during the winters. Sometimes I feel guilty when he is working so hard on his dozens of projects, and I am doing so much "me" stuff. But he's always been naturally thin, and I've always struggled with my weight, so I know he's happy I'm doing something about it, although he would never say so out loud, for fear of hurting my feelings. Although I admit, the dieting and exercise are much easier when he's gone, and I can workout any time I want, and eat the 'easy on the meat' meals I choose, instead of what the family wants!
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote