Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Default Any 30-something Stay-at Home Moms?

Anybody else a stay-at-home Mom in their 30s? I'm a new mother, never planned to have kids, never planned to stay home, doing both... Kind of loving it, but loving it takes effort.

I was afraid if I was home all day it'd turn into an eat all day kind of lifestyle, but especially since she's started solid food at 6 months I find myself eating 3 square meals and a snack - which is what I'm used to.

Come talk to me! How has being a SAHM changed your eating, for better or worse?
Do you have as much time to work out as you want? As you think you should?
What do you do to amuse yourself? I mean, besides re-alphabetize the pantry?

thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #2  

Anyone?

I don't bite...

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #3  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Hey there!!
I am a work-at-home 30-something mom. So occupying my time isn't a challenge... it's finding enough hours in the day! AH!!
I have a job and a business both from home. So definitely have plenty going on.
Definitely don't have as much time to work out as I would like. I was just telling my husband that I really wish this weightloss thing could be my full time job right now!! But hey, I'm doin' it and guess it's better to learn how it will be when it's time to maintain, right? LOL

My eating habits were just terrible prior to a few months ago, but I blame it on the business, stress and not enough rest, not the staying home with the kids. Luckily we have been VERY good about the kids, and what they eat, and how they learn to eat ... my problem was what I was eating when they aren't around, and finishing off their food, and eating sugary stuff to give me energy when I was running on very little sleep.

Hope things are going well for you!!
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Im a 37 yo mother of an 11 year old boy. Im not a stay at home mom, although I would love to be able to do it financially (in addition to hiring a personal chef). Zumba in the mornings, yoga in the afternoons. Yeah Im dreaming LOL

I would have the same fears though, thinking that I would be non-stop eating...all...day.....long. Congrats that you have a routine, a good - working routine for you!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/140

Height: 5'8

I am a stay at home mom also. As long as I keep only healthy food in the house I find it easy not to be 'bad'. I do all the shopping so I have control over what is in the fridge for the most part. I never planned to stay home either and eventually will go back to work with the right opportunity. I eat when the baby eats and share my food with him. My son is almost a year old.

We go to the playground everyday, I pick the farthest one so it's a good walk. 1hour 1 1/2 hour a day walking. On rainy days I find it more difficult. I hate watching TV so I could never get into work out videos. I am way to ADD for that. I pretty much need outside activity. However, we live right down the street from a pool, so we went there once a week in the winter.

I am excited summer is almost here because I plan to go to the beach everyday it is nice out.
era28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #6  

DaugT - Yeah, that's a lot on your plate! I know it's nearly impossible for me to lose, and difficult for me to even maintain if I'm facing major stress. I think you should count any progress you make towards healthier living and weight loss as a MAJOR, MAJOR victory with everything you're handling. You're amazing!

mammasita - Oh, I'd like a personal chef too! Around here, I am the personal chef. You'd be amazed how much exercising I don't get done with the little Miss around. Can I get a mother's helper while I'm at it?

era28 - I also walk to a far-away playground, although she's a bit young for anything but the baby swing still. I have just re-acquainted myself with YouTube for quickie workouts... I am OK using my videos (well, DVDs) but I need a bigger selection. I hate doing the same thing over and over and over. Do you have anyone you exercise with?

Carrots for everyone!

I'm a nut with that carrot smiley. I love it! It's so me!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/140

Height: 5'8

thundahthighs- We just moved to the area about a year ago. Unfortunately, I haven't met any workout buddies/ friends. I find it hard to meet friends in my 30's. In the past I met people through going to parties/ going out and through mutual friends or through work.
Now that I am a momma, I don't really have a social life. I am also pretty self conscious and get nervous initiating conversations. Maybe once I lose some weight I will be more confident to talk to other moms while I am at the playground or running errands.
era28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Oh! Me!

I always kinda wanted to be a SAHM, but I never thought it would be possible. Well, it's possible... we just had to move from Colorado to Nebraska for DH's job to make it possible

I'm 30 and mom to a 6 month old son. Hmm, no cabinet alphabetizing here; the house we're in at the moment is a tiny rental and there's not much room so I tend to just cram stuff into cabinets and drawers and hope it holds

DS is newly mobile and quite the busy-body so that keeps me pretty busy. II'm having fun making baby food, but I'm sure that will lose it's luster after a while. DH works for a university and we get free tuition so I'm going to take a class or two later this summer to keep my mind sharp.

As for dieting and exercise, I recently started running again. I didn't work out too much during pregnancy and only managed to gain 25lbs, but I do not feel in shape AT ALL. I typically do a paleo-like way of eating and I've had some success with intermittent fasting. I'm still breastfeeding so I don't want to drop my carbs too much, but I feel like I'm at a place where my supply won't be affected if I work on my eating a little bit. The scale is moving - slowly, but surely.

My biggest challenge? SUGAR. Gah. I'm addicted. Our gym membership starts next month and not a moment too soon. Both dh and I have work to do!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yes, 36. At the SAHM gig for 8 yrs.

Eating? Not changed too much -- actually better since I have to model for kids.

Do you have as much time to work out as you want?

Not in babyhood but once school age -- that opens up a larger window for gym workouts.

What do you do to amuse yourself?

Garden and hardcore volunteer in the charities I care about. Also teach sunday school.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-18-2012 at 06:38 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #10  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

My eating at home is great. Way better than when I've got to be out of the house all day, although I do a pretty good job with that, too. It's easy at home. All my regular staples are here and my food scale lives on the counter.

Do you have as much time to work out as you want?
I don't know that I'd say I have as much time as I want, but I've learned to build it in to my routine so I get to do it. When my first was little little, I didn't have near the structured routine that I do now, so it would have been a little harder. I do look forward to the day when they're both in school and I have more freedom in the schedule.

What do you do to amuse yourself?
I don't remember what I did for fun when I only had one and he was still a baby. I do know I had way more free time than I have ever had since. Trust me when I tell you that all the time you've got now is not going to last, and someday soon you're going to look back and wish you didn't have to build time for yourself into your calendar.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/160/140

I've been a sahm for about 6 years now. My kids are 7, 5, and just turned 4.

How has being a SAHM changed your eating, for better or worse? It's been so long since I've become a sahm, I don't remember what I ate back then lol. We did eat out a lot more before kids came around.

Do you have as much time to work out as you want? As you think you should? I'm brand new to losing weight and right now I don't work out-need to get on this!

Reading! I've read 100 books already this year and have a goal to read another 140 by the end of the year. Along with reading comes mindless snacking, so that's an area I need to really work on.

Last edited by veggiegirl123; 05-21-2012 at 03:10 PM.
veggiegirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundahthighs View Post
Anybody else a stay-at-home Mom in their 30s? I'm a new mother, never planned to have kids, never planned to stay home, doing both... Kind of loving it, but loving it takes effort.

I was afraid if I was home all day it'd turn into an eat all day kind of lifestyle, but especially since she's started solid food at 6 months I find myself eating 3 square meals and a snack - which is what I'm used to.

Hey! I'm 32 and a SAHM to a soon to be 7yr. old and a soon to be 2yr. old! I actually really like being at home. I never thought it was what I wanted, but so far, I'm really liking it. I'm not sure what I will do once my kiddos get older, though... Maybe have another? LOL! I'm kidding! Maybe!

As far as my eating goes, it seems that as their schedules and ups and downs have come, my eating and exercising has also been up and down. For a while, I found it difficult then got into a routine with oldest. Then I went through a hard time eating any and everything because I was afraid of being wasteful and I was stressed. Then we moved to a new place and got settled and suddenly, it fell into place for me and I lost a good chunk of weight. Then child #2 came along and well.... he's been a roller coaster! More than anything, my sleep has been affected which in turn has had terrible consequences on my diet. I just tend to eat and eat for energy. Over the last year, I have managed to lose over 25lbs., but I still have a LONG way to go. And right at the moment, I am stalled out. I am considering intermittent fasting just to see if I can kick-start something because I REALLY want to drop a bit more weight. But so far, I've just been telling myself to hold steady and not give up -- it WILL happen.

I guess what I am saying is that it's had it's ups and downs with different periods being harder than others but I am making due. Working out is coming around slowly but surely, but hasn't been a priority. There just aren't enough hours in the day! My hubby works a nutty rotating schedule, he's in Engineering school full time, oldest child is in school, youngest is still up at night, and did I mention we're remodeling? So yeah... exercise has gotten put to the wayside!

Fun? What is that?!?! LOL J/K! Umm... we take random family trips, I love to read, puzzles, some gardening, and obviously remodeling. But many times we are just too tired at the end of the day and just sit on the couch, talk, and then hit the hay. LOL Geez... I sound boring!
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #13  

era28 - I am also struggling to make friends. It can be so lonely!
At least when I worked I had "work friends"... I have an exercise buddy, I have a couple girlfriends, although we're all at different points in our lives so that can be hard. It really stinks! I'm right there with you. I just keep putting myself out there, smiling at Mommies at the playground, going to groups, chatting people up in the grocery store... We can do it!

junebug41 - I gained 50 lbs!! Boy do I need the scale to move. I was in pretty decent shape before baby - I had been maintaining a healthy weight, was very into yoga, pilates, I'd done 30-day Shred and all that business several times through... but when I stood up from the birthing bed, I knew I was WRECKED.
I'm determined to get back into better shape before the next little one comes along.
Your house sounds adorable! We have a smaller space as well - I think we're in 1100 square feet. My challenge is creating storage. I can't believe your little one is moving! Little Miss still hails a cab at 8 months. She's sooooooo close to crawling... but still face-plants every time.
I can't wait to hear about the gym!

astrophe - I'm hoping that modeling good behavior for the little one will inspire me to be extra-virtuous as it has for you! I'm hoping to return to work once the babies are all in school - and since baby #1 is just now 8 months old, it might be a while before I have a block of time that will be my own! When did you start volunteering? How old were your little ones? I have several volunteer opportunities targeted already, but it just seems so impossible right now... one car, no family nearby to sit for me, baby going through separation anxiety... 8 years, good for you!

Blueberries - I know, I'm scared of having another!! That's a big reason I really want to PUSH to be back in shape for the second. I'm really hoping to not gain as much - with this pregnancy I was sick for several months and could only eat Rice Krispies. Seriously. TONS of Rice Krispies. Then in the last months I wanted red meat and molasses... and yes, together. I had a hamburger and molasses cookies every night for weeks. Ugh. That, and the 55 hour workweeks which meant no exercise, and my BALLOONED. Yikes.
Next time I will be at home, and maybe I'll be smart enough to not be pregnant all through the Texas summer, so I can get out and walk, walk, walk. Because I know that having two instead of one will be at least doubly as difficult!
Hang in there!

veggiegirl123 - We just quit our massive cable subscription (and have only basic channels now), so I find myself reading much, much more. Turns out I have a really nice library! I have been thinking of having the husband-person get me some books on tape so I can "read" on my elliptical. I know the exercise doesn't "count" as much if you're distracted, but the elliptical is just so.darn.boring otherwise, it just sits there... no clothes on it yet, but it's been used about 7 minutes this week. Can you chew ice while you read? Mmmm... ice.

JustJ280 Don't give up! You can do it, you can keep going and trying new things, and something will work!
You don't sound boring at all! My day usually goes: wake up, feed baby, clean baby, walk, feed baby, clean baby, play, clean house, plead with baby to let Mama be so she can clean house, give up, play, feed baby, clean baby, start dinner, plead with baby to let Mama be so she can make dinner, finish dinner once Papa is home to hold crying baby, feed baby, clean baby, walk, baby to bed... oops, Mama fell asleep nursing baby down. The end.
Now THAT is boring!
If you're doing babies with a hubs on a weird schedule (and we were too, at first he was working 7am-midnight, yikes!) then you're doing enough.

Ladies, let's encourage each other. Some days, I look at Laundry Mountain, and the man at the top says: "Go eat a chocolate bar." and I do.
Has anyone successfully sold their dirty laundry? Tell us how!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/168/140

Height: 5'3

I work from home, and I've been doing it for about 7 years now.

How has being a SAHM changed your eating, for better or worse?

I think I eat better now...at least, I find it's easier to eat healthy at home. The temptations of eating out and fast food are just too much for me!

No...I'm pretty busy. I do try to fit in some exercise, but it doesn't always happen.

I'm pretty busy...I'm in grad school, I work from home, and I homeschool my 3 kids. So I don't have a lot of free time (well, NOW I'm supposed to be working, but I'm on here, so that's not exactly free )
COchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #15  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

Hi!!

I'm a SAHM for 4 years now. I didn't have my first til I was 35 So, I now have a 4 yr old and 3 yr old.. I'm actually really happy I have the two close in age (about 1.5 yrs apart), although, I didn't have enough time to lose much weight from the first when I got pregnant with the second. Contributing to my weight staying above 200 for a long time ;(

I just recently started my weight loss journey (Jan 12), but up until then, I stayed with the boys, kept extremely busy on my feet most of the day, but chose the wrong foods. Tried working out, but with my youngest's sleep schedule, I didn't stick to the gym. Tried working out at home, worked fine for minimal stuff. Parks all the time, moving all the time, so I was able to at least maintain my average highest weight of over 200.

Now, I'm super dedicated to my weight loss, healthy food choices in the house, and mandatory time at the gym. Every morning at 9am, 6 days a week

I don't really feel like there's much I need to think about to amuse myself. These little guys and the house, chores, errands and such keep me busy enough. But in the late afternoons, we head outside, whether playing in front with other kids, or family walks and bicycle rides take up our day til dinner and baths.

What I think would be really cool for you and I see many around my city doing it, is to look up those mom's groups. They all go walking or running together. It's really kind of neat to see, although I wasn't able to commit to one. Hopefully, you have plenty to chose from. One I used to occasionally hang out with was actually 'moms over 30'. You'd have a lot more in common with those than the early 20s mamas.

Good luck
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote