UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Red face Short intro and quick question!

Hello all, I've been lurking around the forum threads for a bit now and thought I should delurk and haul myself out of the shadows to say hello since it seems to be getting a bit quiet around here. I enjoyed reading the recent posts and I must say it's inspiring and encouraging to read about how much effort people here are putting into getting to goal through exercise and diet. It also makes me more aware of the rubbish habits that have got me here in the first place, but I know I'm not the only one struggling to break through.

I started at 240lbs in March 2012, and am now currently at 179lbs through an 'induction' of a Slimmm shakes diet, then a smooth transition into calorie counting. Somewhere along the way, swimming, pole fitness and zumba were added lol.

Just a quick question - what do you guys think of calorie estimating? I've been quite good at weighing and counting everything I eat like meat, fruits, snacks etc, but I allow myself vegetables for free. That is to say, plain vegetables don't add to my calorie count. I count everything else that I add to them (eg sauces, gravy etc). This kind of encourages me to fill up on a larger amount of vegetables rather than anything else to avoid a hit to my calorie count for the day. Do you reckon I should bother with actually counting vegetable calories too, or is it negligible enough that I could continue with this method?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work, all of you! xx

Shay
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count everything. If it has a calorie I count it. I find that when I estimate that I am actually eating more calories than I think.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/252/145

Height: 5ft 4

I count them to. I love the Tesco Value mixed veg it comes pre cut - frozen, its bascially small bits of Carrot, Cauliflower, brocolli and peas (Im the only one in my house who really east veg so buying fresh veg is a waste unless u buy the expensive little packs >< ) well I eat about 200g with something for dinner (I usually try not to have much carbs at dinner time, so something (quiche or chicken e.t.c) With salad or veg is usual. But 200grams is still 62 calories. It doesn't sound like much but if you have it everyday, or twice a day... it soon adds up I use MFP so everything gets logged on there. and I try to stick to my 1400 calories a day limit. Usually I'm under, but at TOM it really creeps up and I have been over slightly for a couple of days in a row.
LilithPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #4  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

lilith I love Tesco frozen mixed veg and pretty much add it to anything!
I too try not to eat carbs and protein together as I just find that works for me.
As for counting........I count everything now, although I didn't at first.
Portion sizes are a shocker!!!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #5  

Okay, seems like it's probably a good idea for me to start counting them vegetables too! Ta you guys, helps to hear from other people! xx
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #6  
in pursuit of progress

S/C/G: 180/146/130

Height: 5'6"

I also count everything! Just so I can get a real idea of how much I'm eating. But I won't beat myself up if I'm 100 calories over my allowance because I had extra broccoli or something.
nina cloudstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #7  
*_*
Long-time Lurker

S/C/G: 115kg/66kg/65kg

Height: 5'3"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, IMHO!

As long as you are accepting of the fact that your weight loss MIGHT slow down a bit if you eat too many veggies
I've been calorie "estimating" all along as I do have a tendency to be over-obsessed with measuring and eventually this backfires to binging... I generally try to overestimate higher calorie foods but sometimes underestimate lower calorie foods but it balances out in the end.

There are things I still measure though (if I possibly can - since I eat a few meals a week "out")
*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #8  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I guesstimate, but my 'diet' sort of allows for that.

I can't calorie count it scares me and bores me and puts me off BUT...... if you aren't losing then maybe you do need to count every minced morsel that passes your lips for a week or so, so you can see where your hidden calories are.

I do that every now and then, it isn't too scary
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #9  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

shay I am impressed with the pole dancing!
I think counting rigorously can be really tedious and only use it when I find my weight loss slows down.
But it really helps to have a calorie counting book which works in cups of or spoons of as well as weight as then you don't have to weigh everything.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #10  

Well I've decided the "don't fix what ain't broken" mantra is probably the best way out for a lazy bugger like me lol... I've just estimated and put aside 150kcal roughly for vegetable intake through the day, which seems to be just about the amount I eat as I can't be bothered weighing all the vegetables I consume! Will revisit my decision if weight loss slows down.

Mountain_Walker, you'd be surprised at the people who're in my pole dance class.. I was REALLY worried everyone would be lithe little 5'2 90lb 19-year old dancers, but I needn't have worried, it was good fun!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Hi Shay, belated welcome to the forum

Congrats on the weightloss so far, you sound like you're doing great.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote