Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #16  

My husband and I are going to Hawaii in May and we are starting a diet together to lose weight before our trip. That is great, but I am going through menopause and I have a tougher time losing weight. I can lose about 15 lbs. or so and then I just come to a standstill. It is very discouraging. No matter what I do, I cannot lose weight after that initial loss. Please help! If anyone has any tricks that will help I am looking forward to trying them out! I have quite a bit to lose. I want to eventually lose about 120 lbs. but I want to lose as much as I can before I go to Hawaii. Thanks!
LaVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

I find that it is much harder to lose weight in my 40's rather than when I was in my 20's and 30's. My metabolism isn't they way it use to be at the resting rate. I could eat more then without gaining as much weight. Also, now I have to exercise twice as hard and twice as long to get the same results as I did in my 20's and 30's.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

I find the responses fascinating. I'm not sure I've really tried to lose weight since I've turned 40. I've done some fits and starts with exercise programs without really trying to control what I eat. I just wanted to get in better shape. I've been reading a lot this fall/winter about weight loss, healthy lifestyles and I came across an ebook a few months ago called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle". The author claims that our metabolism slows down about 10% on average per decade in general. Of course, everyone is different.

This doesn't surprise me, or really affect my motivation at all, it's just information. Success at weight loss/fitness/healthy living is a subjective measure based on the individual. I know that I have become infinitely wiser over the years, and with that comes a new perspective on life in general. In my 20's I expected things to happen quickly and they didn't, at least not quickly in the terms of a 20 year old. In my 30's I expected fewer things, but still expected them to come quicker than they often did. Now in my 40's I expect only the outcome that I put effort into, and only at the pace to which I put forth that effort. It took me 12 years to put on this weight, but a lifetime of poor eating habits, poor workout habits, and false expectations led me to put it on.

It's still simple to lose weight, but it's not easy. I don't think it was ever easy, but with more focus, more money, and more understanding, it does seem like it would be easier. I'll let you know when I've lost some.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #19  

Height: 5'5

I find I can lose quite a bit in a week compared to what I could in my 20's. But I think that has to do with the fact that I am 100 pound heavier and have so much to lose. I suspect once I get down to my 20's weight I will find it difficult.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote