Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/256/150

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Anyone here Vegan/vegetarian?

Hi everyone
Just wondering if there is anyone here that is either vegan or vegetarian? I have just decided this week to give it a try. Was wondering if anyone can give me helpful advice. I appreciate anything that can help with my journey.
Thanks
Virginia
Ginnyhen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  
2011 kms in 2011!

S/C/G: 78.5/ticker/65 Kg

Height: 5'5"

Omnivorous at the moment, but I was a vegan for 5 years, and still incorporate a lot of it in my diet and cooking. Ask away!
Mirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Am working my way toward that, so will pop in here to see good ideas! I don't want to turn into a "carbitarian" - but have added in all sorts of beans and now need to work on cutting the chicken/turkey out... but not sure that I'll get there.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/256/150

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes it is hard,, I don't think I will be doing it. I had fish last night and chicken today, but if I can stay away from pork and rred meats I know that I will be better off. Maybe someday will give it another try but I guess baby steps towards a goal is better than say forget it completly!
Ginnyhen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Flexitarian at the moment, but was veg*n for almost 10 yrs.

Here's PCRM's plan.

Check out the vegetarian way. Do it right, don't get all wacky. After all, twinkies and coke are veg, but it isn't healthy.

And if you want a cookbook, 1,001 Vegetarian by Sue Spitler is an excellent start.

There are many others good ones, but that one is pretty broad and big and reasonably tasty too.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm almost all veggie but will occassionally have fish and dairy while eating an egg daily. A few times a year I'll have a BLT at the local deli shop. I gave up meat a couple years after my last son was born. I had had to give up dairy and certain foods for breastfeeding. It taught me a lot about food, my relationship with food, and my own capacities. I slowly learned new foods and decided to go veggie when I realized that I didn't care what object swam under the sauce. I thought the animal's life was worth more than that lack of awareness. I could eat a veggie burger easily since I slathered on so much condiments I couldn't taste the smooshie thing on the bun.

I'm 44 now. This veggie life tossed some great difficulties at me. It finally occurred to me after a couple years as a veggie that my husband's horrible stank was because he ate meat. It was shocking to figure that out after so long and wondering "what was wrong with him". I don't care if he eats meat but it really made me sit as far away as I could to avoid the smell.

I really prefer avoiding meat, but it sure makes it hard on folks. If someone "busts" me for eating a BLT at the deli, they think they've caught me in some horrible contradiction. It's a choice for me. I really prefer it. But I often shorten my personal story for folks and say "I'm vegetarian". I often like to keep my own details to myself. I also want to avoid being served meat. My family never eats beef because my husband is Hindu. So, once it's all figured out, it's just safer to feed us a vegetarian meal. Wish it wasn't so complicated.

Anyway, I know this tread might be a bit past but thought I'd add my own words.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 16st 9lbs/12st 9lbs/8st

Height: 5'2" (154cm)

Hi there, I'm not only a vegan/vegetarian but became a fruitarian back in Februray. I only eat fruit (& cucumber because it is technically a fruit) and have never once felt hungry. Energy levels are sky high and I have enjoyed every minute of it to date. I used to be on a diet of junk food/takeaways and consumed a horrendous amount of meat, dairy, gluten etc which I virtually kicked over night.
pitstopbunnyF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #8  
shiny

S/C/G: 190/176.5/145

Height: 5'4"

hi there,
i'm vegetarian... i end up eating peanut butter quite a bit for my protein intake....

but i'm a lacto-ovo, so i do have eggs and milk too (although, i really mostly do soy milk, which seems to help my asthma, not to drink/eat
too much dairy)
shinyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/158/107

Height: 4'11"

I am mostly vegetarian about 95% of the time.

When I first started doing vegetarian a year ago, I fell into the junk food trap. Be careful of getting the munchies and looking for a quick fix. A handful of potato chips here, a few cookies there.

it's not too bad if you stay on top of it and not let yourself get too hungry.
YoYoKimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #10  

I am vegetarian, although I eat MOSTLY vegan. The major exception would be eggs, as I raise pet chickens and have tons of eggs. I work my butt off for those chickens, so I don't feel bad about taking eggs. :P I also eat Quorn, which contains egg.

I get PLENTY of protein, including gluten flour and seitan, eggs, protein powders made from veggies, Quorn, soy, etc. Fats from nuts/eggs/olive oil etc. Grains from whole grains, wheat,quinoa, rice, oats.. fruit. vegetables.. I don't even miss meat.. AT all.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #11  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Check out some cookbooks from your local library for recipe ideas. That will help you stay away from too many carbs and from depending on too much nut butter or too much processed soy. Robin Robertson has several recipe books with EASY vegetarian and vegan recipes in them.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/150

Height: 5' 7"

I have been vegan for 15 months. I love it and feel great. I eat a lot of lentils, rice, quinto, and learned to love stir fried veggies.
Dakotajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/251.4/165

Height: 5'10

I am a vegetarian have been for 14 months. I hv tossed around the idea of eating only fish but have NOT had any meat including fish the entire 14 months. I hv switch to boxed egg whites and almond milk. Although I can NOT remember when I made the switch to egg whites and almond milk. I'd like to move to vegan.
A Nu Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaradajnos View Post

I thought the animal's life was worth more than that lack of awareness.

I'm 44 now. This veggie life tossed some great difficulties at me. It finally occurred to me after a couple years as a veggie that my husband's horrible stank was because he ate meat. It was shocking to figure that out after so long and wondering "what was wrong with him". I don't care if he eats meat but it really made me sit as far away as I could to avoid the smell.
I am as close to a true carnivore as I can get. Most days I eat a big plateful of bacon for b'fast and a couple of burger patties w/ 2 slices of cheddar for dinner. This has been a godsend for me bc even when I eat 30 g day carb, I gain. Plus, I have been able to go from around 100 units of insulin a day to 12 - 14, which is great for my heart-health and lowering cancer risk. BUT, I am very, very aware of the animals and I wish there was some other way for me to eat healthy.

I am completely amazed at what you say about your hubby, though! Right at the same time I went carnivore, I changed deodorants and I was so thrilled with my new deodorant because for the first time in my life I had absolutely ZERO body odor. Like seriously NOTHING!!! It was so fantastic. Then I developed these lumps in my armpits. Got very scared and went to the doc. He says it's fine, definitely not cancer, and suggested I stop the deodorant for a few weeks and then try it again and see what happens. Well, it was the darndest thing. But I stopped the deodorant and I still didn't smell AT ALL! I had actually suspected that it might be the carnivory earlier because there had been a couple of times that I had not left the house for a few days when I had a cold or whatever and I didn't stink then either.

The other thing... and I am sure this is tmi, lol. But my **** don't stink either. I didn't think that was possible. But it is true. Now I just wish I had the guts to put my not-yet-potty-learned 2 year-old on a carnivorous diet.

So, I'm curious what's going on with your hubby. Maybe it is the combo of meat and carbs?
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote