Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #1  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Default female question here....Warning (lol)

ok so it has occured to me that i may have started premenopause in the last 6 months, i just turned 40 in april. first of all exercising is soooooooo much harder i can not beleive it, any one else find it harder to lose and even to get exercise in? oh i'm sure it has something to do with working 50+ hours a week but thats a whole other story. also, how has this affected your losing weight, just seems i have a hard time sticking to any plan since then. any advice is appreciated here.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #2  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

Have you talked to your dotor about this? If you're going through premenopause, you might need to add an additional vitamin or supplement.

I don't really have any advice, but just want to show my support!
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Look at your eating and exercise, first. I think once you get on plan, you'll lose weight.

Maybe it is periomenopause, but I don't think hormones account for everything. I have PCOS and have been able to lose weight just fine. But I'm carb sensitive and I've had high blood glucose readings.

I have cut out most non vegetable carbs from my diet. I avoid sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. It's sounds kind of boring, but I love my fish, eggs, milk and salads.

Last edited by motivated chickie; 06-10-2010 at 10:59 AM.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I am barely a 40 something--turn 50 this year! I've had a hysterectomy so I'm way past peri-menopause. I've been sedentary all my life--bookworm kinda kid. I am losing weight, slowly but surely. Maybe I'd lose it faster if I were younger, but I'm not. My thought is, as long as I lose it I don't really care how long it takes. I have learned patience. I have learned it's a process, a puzzle to be worked out. Anyway...

Definetly talk to your doctor and make sure you get a complete physical this year. Even your most basic lab tests can reveal alot! Turns out I was pre-diabetic and when I started to eat like a diabetic I started losing weight. I quickly realized I wasn't eating near enough protein (and that's why I was hungry all the time) and I avoid most 'white' foods by replacing them with whole grains that often contain more protein. I can have a treat now and then but I really have to stay on top of it because it can trigger wanting more and more treats. Dessert has gone from cookies and cake to greek yogurt (again, high in protein) with some berries.

Anyway, I share this with you because I think we all have to find what works for us. We are all different, with different issues. I am a big believer in carb sensitivity but I don't know that it's true for everyone. I just know, for me, it too may refined carbs keep me in a constant state of hunger. I encourage you to be willing to go through a process of finding out what works for you. Find out what is sustainable for you. Eating like a diabetic (often referred to as Glycemic Index or Glycemic Load) works for me. I can do this for the rest of my life.

Spend some time (and it requires patience) tweaking your eating plan. You can count calories, you can use weight watcher points, there are a million ways out there to do this. Since wt loss depends more on diet than exercise, IMNHO, I'd focus on this first then come up with a sustainable exercise program.

It is overwhelming but it is worth the time. Cut back on other activities (other than work, cause you gotta work, I know) and put yourself first. Be selfish. You are worth it and you can do this. You may not do it perfectly but if you purpose in your heart to do it right/and or better the next meal or even the next day you will meet your goal! I promise!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #5  
Wandering in the Woods

I am 48, and had I realized what was going on 5 or 6 or 7 years ago, when I was becoming so full of angst, depressed, acting intollerable, and all around intollerant, I would have had a much easier time emotionally. But I didn't realize what has been going on until the last year or so. Ofcourse, my appetite has been out of this world, and of course, I've gained weight like crazy , especially in last 6 years.

Not until Oct.2006 (44yrs old) did I skip my first period for two months (I've always been perfectly on the date), and I thought something was terribly wrong with me !!! I went to see a doctor, got full bloodwork, etc. Nothing wrong, but after the routine papsmeer on that visit, I had a huge period (sorry for the graffics) and I've been irregular ever since ; a couple months reg, skip a month, etc.

I swear, not until about two summers ago, when I got hit with the hot flashes and last year the night sweats to boot, did I really think "this is perimenopause" as I was still in denial or whatever, thinking maybe it's from being so overweight. I still wonder if the weight is must making the hot flashes all that much worse. WEll, I am embracing it now, no hormone replacement or nothin'. Bring It On !!! Haven't had a period since last Valentines Day, and I am just thinking ''' cool ! ''' , as I am getting use to this. I'll probably have another one or two before being officially in menopause, but I'm not really counting on it either. Whatever happens, happens, and most importantly I'm not trying to control it by taking hormones. I am still getting hot flashes all day, and sleep pretty awfully, waking up to pee every night, etc. When I do get a full night's sleep, it's like ''aaaahhhh' heaven.

Hope that helps.

ps. My DH is a saint for putting up with my mood swings, I tell you.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 06-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #6  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

I'd say all those work hours are making you tired. Especially with the early starts.

I don't know about the pre-menopause thing (i'm 42 and haven't had regular periods for 6 years ever since i went off the pill and had a contraceptive inplant instead so don't know about that either. LOL).

I find it easy to exercise, but it's as hard as ever to lose weight (can't really say in all honesty that it's got harder through my life though).

In my experience, i can feel tired, but it doesn't relate to my capacity for exercise.... I can feel really pathetic, and headachy and want to stay at home - but if i force myself to do some exercise i suddenly find some energy and feel really good. And sometimes it's the other way round, i feel like exercise but once i start have no energy.

Anyway what i'd say is find some exercise that you like, and force yourself to do it for a few weeks, then assess how it's worked for you.

And it's an old cliche but true - you get more energy the more you exercise, although it takes a little time to manifest.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Hi,
I just wanted to lend support too.
I may be in the same boat with you.
I'm 45 and just went to my doctor to get bloodwork.
Something is definitely different.
It is harder for me to exercise too, but I do find that when I can motivate to do it, I feel better.
Otherwise, it's like PMS all the time.
I'll let you know if I come up with any good ideas!

-teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/179/150

Height: 5'4

Default Finding it tough too

Hi, I am new here, 44 yrs. old, and I still have regular periods, but I am finding it harder and harder to lose weight as I get older. I work with people who have the same problem at this age as well. I think I need to eat less than I am eating, and up my exercise. I had a complete physical not long ago, and everything was fine, so I don't know.

Lori
Loridt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Not only am I perimenopausal but I'm also a women's health care provider, and I've also lost 99 lbs so far....

Yes, it's irritating that my periods are kind of irregular, I skip some, and some are heavy and others light. Yes, it takes me longer to lose now than it did when I was younger, but on the other hand, I never lost much when I was younger-- I was too impatient to stick with a plan for long.

Besides that I have never felt better in my life. I feel MUCH more like I did in my twenties now. In my thirties I was gaining weight like crazy and tired all the time-- NOT for hormonal reasons, but because my life was stressful.

I take care of women every single day and I can promise you that for most women perimenopause is just a minor inconvenience, and in NO WAY should it stop you from exercising or losing weight. You probably won't drop five pounds in a week (which I used to be able to) but being able to drop quickly NEVER made me drop more overall.

Also, just be aware that most women do not start to see perimenopausal changes until the mid to late forties and the first thing you should notice is irregular periods. I had my last baby at 43 with no problems whatsoever. 40 is young to be perimenopausal, and if your main symptom is fatigue and slow weight loss, I would look to diet, exercise,overall life stress, or other medical problems such as thyroid or prediabetes first.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

thanks for that information, Ubergirl!

-teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #11  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

There are so many changes in a woman's body. I used to think it was "childbearing years, then menopause", but I have read that things actually start changing mid thirties. So me4life, it might be those changes. Hope you have a doctor that communicates well as to what you can expect, but you seem way too young for the actual "event". Women are on an arc from puberty on generally. I have noticed many changes in energy level etc even from year to year since my periods stopped. Good shoes to walk in and lifestyle change is helping me and I tell myself that as far as walking and all goes, the harder it is, the more my body must need it. Do make sure your doctor tests for what may be going on and best of luck!
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote