Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Hi

Hi. I'm Carol. Used to post here two years ago. I'm 48 now, feeling older by the minute, and think I need to come back if you'll have me!

When I was here before, I did really well and lost about 40 pounds. Then I hit a rough time with job issues, etc., and now I'm starting to deal with peri-menopause...anyway, I put every single pound back on.

Now I'm just really disappointed and disgusted with myself. I'm totally able to recognize all my bad habits and triggers and everything else, but haven't been able to do anything to overcome them.

As I just posted on the main introduction thread, I went to my nephew's pre-K graduation today, and afterwards one of his little friends said to him, "Your aunt is so big because she eats too much sugar." No one else heard it - just me and two five-year-old boys, but I was so embarrassed and depressed by it. And instead of dealing with it, I came home and ate ice cream to drown out how I was feeling. I don't want to be an embarassment to my nephew, and I'm sick of my own embarrassment too.

So here I am again. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully working at this together. Thanks for listening!

Carol
Carrie3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #2  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Carol and welcome back.
Hope you find the mental motivation to get back into it and start enjoying feeling thinner again.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Carrie. Wow, that boy was blunt, and I'm sure he didn't even mean anything by it. His parents probably just tell him he can't eat all the sugary snacks he wants because they will make him fat... But still, hard to hear, I'm sure.

Here's to a new start!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/170/118

Height: 4'10"

Hi Carol! I'm restarting too. Looks like several of us have come back again. That's the first step. We can do it!
KanDewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #5  
Wandering in the Woods

Hi Carol. You sound just like me, I'm 48, and in perimenopause. Similarly, I have two little nieces (7 and 10) around whom I'm beginning to recently feel self conscious about my weight when I visit, even though they've never said anything which pointed at my weight. However, recently I've decided that I want to be their HEALTHY AUNT, and put more energy into things, and omg..... maybe even go swimming someday with them in the swimming hole they live by. Time is flying by and I'm missing out on shared experience with them, as well as me and my own life ! They deserve it, and I most certainly deserve it too !

I have been binging on buttered toast and milk chocolate lately... why? Weird ! I am also starting to read "The End Of OverEating" by David Kessler, and I find it enlightening to my binge behavior. Part of it is that I'm consistantly in the house, the environment where the triggers are habitual, and food is available. If I get outside, work *outside* rather than inside so much, and hike & ride my bikes, then gradually behaviors will change.

I have been on 3FC off and on now for about three or four years. For this perimenopause , it seems it takes everything I can muster to maintain, but that said, I am determined to tweak my lifestyle so that the weight gradually melts off. I've been hiking a lot in recent years but it's not doing the job, because I think my mid-age metabolism has slowed way down to SEDENTARY when I'm not hiking. (I'm in front of the computer waaay too much. ) So I'm thinking... gotta change that ! I've decided that constant ACTIVITY is as good as exercise ! I'm planning on the garden to be my ispiriation. (big garden, and 10 acres) Lots to do.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 06-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #6  
Starting Over

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm glad to be back. So today I took a big step and joined a food delivery plan again. I get my first shipment Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to it arriving.

Newleaf, I'm sure that kid didn't mean anything rude by it..he was just a kid, and kids just say what they think...which makes them brutally honest sometimes. The thing is, my nephews are the biggest joy in my life. Like HermitGirl, I want to be a part of their life, and I definitely DON'T want to be an embarrassment to them. Yesterday was a big kick in the butt for me. As much as it hurt, I think I'll be thankful for it in the long run.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #7  
Wandering in the Woods

Maybe you are like me Carry, in that i have no children of my own. My neices are going to be the closest to it I come !
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Carrie,

Welcome back.

It might feel like you're restarting... but, in my mind, you're not really. Whatever you learned last time is going to help you this time. If you had to start back at the beginning, you wouldn't know your triggers and would be less prepared to tackle them.

Today is just one more day on your journey. Do what you can to make it count!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Welcome back and good luck.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #10  
Starting Over

Thanks Beth and Iyv. I've been trying to keep myself positive over the weekend. At least when I go back to work tomorrow, I have something to keep my mind on and keep me busy.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Hi Carol/Carrie (which is it??),
I've just (re)started too. Perhaps you, KanDoIt and I can be support buddies! I know I can use all the help I can get.

I'm sorry your nephew's friends words were so hurtful. Maybe it will turn out to be the kick in the butt you've been waiting for. Think of where you'll be when he "graduates" to Middle School! Oo-La-La!!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #13  
Starting Over

That would be great, Moondance. KanDoIt, are you in?!

I never thought of that...seeing that kid again! I did find some pictures of him on my camera that my nephew must have taken. My first thought was DELETE...now I'm thinking I should tape one on the fridge

BTW, either Carol or Carrie is fine. My name is Carol. I couldn't figure out how to change my screenname last week to be less confusing.