Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.6/199.2/120

Height: 5'0

Default Insomnia and weight issues

I have insomnia so bad and have for the last 2 yrs. Therefore Iam having a heck of a time losing the weight I need to lose. Anyone knows you need sleep to lose weight properly. Even though some how I manage to go all day long and am up every morning between 5-6 am. When I get to bed at night I just lay there and can not fall asleep. I have nothing on my mind but just cannot fall asleep so after I get so restless from not being able to sleep I get up and it is usually 1-3 am before I go to bed and am able to fall asleep. I am still up at 6am as I have quite a few kids to get ready and get up with hubby before he goes to work. I have been to the doc and have had everything we can think of to be checked but I seem to be healthy besides the weight I need to lose (about 80 lbs)and my sleeplessness. Any Ideas? Iam lost at what to do. I have been trying to eat healthy and I walk lots and am on the go all day but just cant seem to lose it for some reason.
zabou69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

The techniques I have used to conquer my sleep problems, in order of effectiveness for me:

Do you use any caffeine at all? If so, I suggest cutting it completely out and see whether that helps. I found that even one cup of caffeinated coffee in the mornings was leading to significant problems falling asleep.

Look into takinig melatonin. I take a pretty small dose (500 mcg) about an hour before bedtime and it just knocks me out.

Sex at bedtime can help. If you have no partner, then self-sex will do the trick too.

Exercise is also supposed to help, though I'm not sure that I've ever noticed it having a real effect for me.

Going to bed in complete darkness at the same time every night, even weekends, may help to bring your natural production of melatonin into line.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202.6/199.2/120

Height: 5'0

Thks for your reply WarMaiden. I do most of what you mentioned. I will cut out my 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I already take melitonin on a regular basis but dont like to take it as it gives me bad dreams. I have an awsome husband and the sex is on a regular basis so I know that aint it. I walk lots all day like I said but just cant seem to lose it and sleep either. I made another doctors appt for Friday as I have to get to the bottom of this. Iam getting really irritated about not being able to sleep and lose weight. I keep trying to get ideas from people and try them or have tried evrything I can think of. I have even gone to a naturopath that cost me tons of money and did absolutly nothing.
zabou69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Have you looked into morning light therapy? And/or blue light blocking glasses for evening use? Both of those have clinically-proven applications.

Sleep is too important to give up on. Good luck!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #5  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

worst case scenario if melatonin or something like benadryl doesn't work may be ambien or something similar, even if it's just short-term to get you back into the habit again : ) melatonin works wonders for me.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #6  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

This may not apply to you, but insomnia can be caused by anxiety and/or depression. This might be something to discuss with your doctor as well.
I find most doctors don't bring it up if you don't ask yourself. I recently went back on Lexapro after being off it for months, and I have noticed a huge improvement in my ability to fall asleep. I, too, have always been an insomniac.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

Many, not all of course, but many overweight people have sleep apnea. A VERY serious condition that can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and early death.

Not getting sleep can make losing weight very hard. But here is the thing if you are overweight and actually 'sleep' for 7-8 hours a night, with untreated sleep apnea you may not be getting any of the sleep you need to be healthy and lose weight.

I posted about sleep apnea earlier here. Shocked for the most part at the lack of a response. Hey if you are here and overweight not saying you have sleep apnea but anyone would be a FOOL not to get it checked out. Especially if they snore and are overweight. And women get it right along with men. One last note you can not snore and still have sleep apnea.

BTW treated sleep apnea is one of the most awesome and best things you will ever do for yourself if you do have it.

Yeah I get a little emotional about people not checking out about sleep apnea. But hey anyone reading this and not checking it out or at the minimum asking a partner or family member if they snore, your life, your health, your choice.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #8  

My problem is anxiety and I take hyomax under the tongue for it when I'm having trouble. Also plain cheerios before bed so I don't wake up starving at 2am (this may be because I take insulin before bedtime and it is on the prowl for more carbs, who knows...) I read, in a dark living room when having trouble and sometimes fall asleep in the recliner. Also try and exercise outside.

Those are my go-to hints that help me.
froggy :-)
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Ya know what aggravates the ding-dang devil outta me?

Ya hafta get some SLEEP in order to lose weight... but hafta LOSE WEIGHT in order to get some sleep.

Argh!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I had the same problem when I first started on my losing-weight-and-gaining-health journey in March 2007. Are there any nights that you do sleep well? Any distinguishing differences from the nights when you don't?

From my experience, I strongly recommend having an elliptical, stairstepper, and/or weight equipment at home. As a woman with 2 jobs, 2 teenagers, 2.5 acres, and 1 wonderful husband, I know how hard it is to stop the "life treadmill" and get on an actual treadmill, but on nights when I can't sleep I just go workout. If I'm taking a few moments to watch TV, I work out. If the kids are covered and the dinner's on the stove, I go workout. I also stopped drinking any soda (especially diet), but still enjoy my morning coffee.

Lastly, I decided to stop setting date/event goals and instead focus on gaining health - for the rest of my life. The only reason I watch the scale anymore is to ensure I'm not losing ground during birthday/holiday weeks, etc.

Anyhoo, you sound like a very positive, loved woman who just needs to be a little kinder and patient with herself - the weight gain didn't happen overnight. So focus on the good things you do for yourself each day - and make no excuses that allow you to ever take more than two or three days off from breaking a serious sweat for at least 30+ minutes. You deserve it!

Happy Mother's Day, too...
Bethafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I have sleep maintenance insomnia. The only thing that seems to help me is light therapy. My problem is very different from yours, though, so even if light therapy would work for your situation, the timing would be different.

And you're right about poor sleep being a real problem for healthy weight maintenance. Good luck finding a solution!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi zabou69,

I've had difficulty sleeping for about the last year. Recently I mentioned my difficulty to a friend who suggested a herbal remedy that seems to have helped me.

The "pills" contain Valerian and Hops, which apparently calm you naturally and allow you to fall asleep. The first few nights I took them, I didn't really notice a difference. Then one night as I was reading, I realised I was feeling really tired and I just wanted to shut the light off and go to sleep. So, that's what I did. I felt pretty sure that it was an effect of the pills I'd taken.

Now, I just take them as needed and they seem to do the trick.

The ones I bought are simply called "Sleep" and they're made by Solaray. They were also highly recommended by the person I spoke to at the health foods store because they are herb based.

Anyway, I'm usually not a "pill" person... but these seem to have worked for me... and, I thought I'd leave a note here.

It stinks to lay awake at night when you should be sleeping. Hope you find something that works to help.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote