Old 09-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161.8/153.4/ low 140's

Height: 5'7"

Default STUCK....suggestions?

Hi all,

I relatively new here. I don't believe I've ever posted on the 40-something forum. I am soon to be 44. I just found out this year I am going through perimenopause.I've actually been going through it almost 6 years. I had almost convinced myself that I was dying (because of all the symptoms) and the Drs just had not figured out what it was. Now I know and I'm feeling much better just having the knowledge. But I have some questions about weight loss and dieting. I just cannot seem to stay motivated to stay on a good eating plan. I tend to continue to use food to comfort myself. I'm tired and I have menstral migraines and just generally don't feel as good as I use to. the energy or Also during this perimenopause phase I have literally become lazy and addicted to TV or reading. I just don't seem to have motivation to do anything. I did use to like to walk but new neighbors have moved in and have 4 pit bulls chained in the backyard and I'm leary to walk outside any more because of fear they may get off their chains. I live out in the country. Anyway, is this normal...a lack of motivation during perimenopause? If so, can anyone share with me how they overcame it.
Blue Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I have no idea about perimenopause but I do struggle with depression and some of that sounds like symptoms of depression.

1. talk to your doctor- maybe an antidepresant will help make you feel less motivated/lethargic
2. I take fish oil capsules every day (I don't eat fish) but getting the right amount of Omega 3's helps
3. I force myself to at least get a little exercise 5x a week. Start off small and just force yourself to take a walk 1x a week for 15 minutes and do more if you can.....the next week try for 2X a week for 30 minutes. The endorphins improve your mood.
4. Make a meal plan and stick to it

I have a lot more weight than you to lose and it is frustrating and slow....but if I eat on plan and get some exercise I feel pretty good that day and it motivates me to stay on track....
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #3  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Walk away the pounds

Go and get Walk Away the Pounds and do it at home... to get started.
Good luck honey!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I also can't speak to perimenopause. But I do think that losing weight requires a certain mindset, that you will do this, above all else. I took the summer off from losing, not intentionally, but I just couldn't seem to get in the mindset. Now in September, I'm back in the mindset again, and lo and behold, I'm losing again.

Try to find something to replace food for comfort. For me, it's making a pot of tea. Or chewing sugar-free gum.

Make exercise a priority. If you're worried that the dogs will get loose, how do you ever leave the house? That sounds like a problem that needs to be solved.

Even if you don't feel like doing anything physical, you have to just do it anyways...

Good luck! You've lost 5 pounds already, so use that as motivation to keep going.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 161.8/153.4/ low 140's

Thanks to everyone that replied. Cheekiemonkey - my doc did put me on Prozac 20mg. I helped with the rage associated with the perimenopause but it seemed to increase my laziness. <frown> I have cut it back to 10 mg and that seems better. Newleaf - I realize the comment about the dogs seems like an excuse but I did exercise in the past. In fact just 9 months ago before I fractured the top of my left foot I had built up to running 5 miles. This home with the 4 chained pit bulls (no fence) that pull against their chains anytime you walk out to the road is unnerving. It really frustrates me. As I'm typing I'm realizing just how much I believe this issue has taken away my motivation. I use to really enjoy getting out to walk and run. It was such a challenge and would get my mind off everything else. My husband has bought me pepper spray and I have tried walking with a baseball bat but I tend to stay uptight and it is unpleasant. dmc - I pulled out my Leslie Sansone dvds last night <smile> and walked a mile at 9pm. I decided after my post doing something is better than doing nothing. I really wanted to get back into running. But I've got to get past that all or nothing thinking. I realized after my post that was another big part of my problem. Either I was going to do what I wanted to do...walk/run or I wasn't going to do anything at all. So who was I hurting with that mindset...the dogs?...my neighbors? or myself? Again, thanks so much for all your posts and suggestions.
Blue Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I misunderstood the pitbull comment. I thought that they were *your* 4 pitbulls, and with the new neighbors you worried that they would get off their chains and attack the neighbors.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote