Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #46  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Dancer, Hubby and I put weight on together after we were married, but I was the one with the heath issues, and the desire to lose the weight. He was supportive during the inital weightloss but didn't really volenteer any advice or help of his own {such as suggesting we go for a walk, take the dog to the park, not eat out again}. He was happy with the results but wouldn't join in the workouts, and that was a sore point for me, I thought he was missing an opportunity to spend time with me doing something to benefit both of us, etc. He did however buy me whatever workout equipment we could afford that I wanted, including whatever DVD's I wanted to buy. He ate what I fixed for dinner, and splurged on burgers and cokes on his own time. He did eventually give up drinking Cokes, and talked about losing weight with me but never was motivated. His father is diabetic and has had a very bad stroke several years before, from which he never really recovered. His dad can barely walk, talk and can't use his right side very well. {living breathing motivtion for me!] I found out I was prediabetic about a year after this stroke and suggested Hubby get tested but he didn't.

Hubby did mention to me last night that he was going to try to lose weight again. I suggested a few things but dont' have very high hopes. I would love for us to have an active lifestyle together.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #47  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

My DH is very supportive of my weight loss and frequently tells me how great I look. Not *so* often that it sounds false, but every couple of weeks or so, I'd say. He also is very willing to eat whatever I cook, so there's no issue there. I've turned him on to tofu!

On an old topic, I remember someone asking about scales and how we liked the very accurate ones (Becky?). I forgot to reply at the time. I *love* our scale, which measures to the 1/10th pound. It was very expensive ($500??) but DH bought it for me a couple years ago when he got sick of hearing me complain about our old scale. This one is very accurate, doesn't get "stuck" at a certain number like the old one did (which would sometimes only change if I weighed myself holding a stack of towels, and then again without) and if I weigh myself 3x in a row, I get the same result, maybe a 1/10th pound different, each time. http://www.totalbodyworks.com/seca_s...city_Scale.htm
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #48  
Heidi

Yay - I broke my mental block and exercised today! I even did some work with weights for my arms... So I'm feeling good :-) I hope everyone's having a great day!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #49  

Newleaf, congrats on the exercise!

I did an add-on workout. I got Tamilee Webb's Cardio Blast {30min} from Netflix today. I didn't think it was a blast but was glad I gave it a try.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #50  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Hi everyone! I made it through my first 3 days being back to school. Our classroom is set up, the kids start Monday! I'm back to packing my lunch and getting back into my good eating routine. I'm ready to finish what I started!

Newleaf, your scale sounds amazing! Mine is just a basic digital that weighs to the 1/2 pound, nothing too fancy but fairly consistent and inline with my Dr.s office scale. Glad to hear you got some exercise today!

ICU, your career change sounds terrific. Is it possible to take a leave of absence from your current job?

Dancer, I am lucky that my DH has been very supportive and complimentary on my loss. He has also been losing due to elevated blood sugar. He's gone from a 38 to a 34 pant and lowered his blood sugar to a normal range.

Patchwork, How about you inviting hubby to walk. If you get him moving and he starts to see results, maybe he will start asking you to walk!

Marie, To make my tomato mozzarella salad I halve cherry tomatoes, add cubed fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil. Drizzle with a little olive oil, add a little salt and pepper. Eat and enjoy! Congrats on all of the compliments. They are all very well deserved!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #51  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

ICU, I think that if you’re not happy doing your job then it’s not the right thing to be doing.Definitely plan it out. Make pros/cons lists and enlist the help of your family and friends that know you best. Even though your DH won’t comment on WL without being asked point blank, ask him point blank to help you start your own business so that you’re happy. Truly that’s what’s important in life. Heck, you already figured out the weight/food wasn’t doing it.

ICU and dancer, my DH doesn’t comment unprompted either. But like dancer wrote, he didn’t as I gained either. My weight and figure doesn’t matter to him. For that I’m eternally grateful. My DH did notice the 6 pounds I'd lost when he was gone for the month of June os maybe it's harder to see on a day to day basis.

Penguin, my DH was emaciated thin when we met and married. Now he’s gotten a pudge and talks about losing weight too. He makes the military’s weight demand so it’s not a big priority. He talks about losing and like you, I don’t have high hopes. But unlike you, we have a very active life together. He can out bike, out run, but not out walk me. Regardless of the pudge, he’s active. He “found” microbrews two years ago and guess when the tummy pudge started??? He didn’t drink alcohol before that. Since I’m a tea-totaller, if I mention the connection, that would be problematic.

Newleaf, YEAH on the exercise!!! I smiled at your scale description. I used to have a scale that would vary by a pound or two weighing 3X in a row. I’d, of course, take the lowest reading. So I bought a new one (about1/10th the price of yours) and it’s very accurate. Never a different reading. So I stopped doing it. But yesterday, I weighed and noticed my left foot was a little off the scale, so I did it again. Exact same reading. Having a good, dependable scale is a must.

OMW, thanks for the recipe – it sounds divine and will be dinner tonight. I have my shopping list on my desk and just added the needed ingredients. Oh, dinner sounds great!!!

My dependable scale gave me another .8 loss. I just love the 3rd week of my cycle. I rarely lose the other 3 weeks, but week 3 is GREAT. 2.4 pounds in 4 days. In other words, 2.4 pounds this month (the week isn’t completely over) so I have hope for at least another .2 as I could change my ticker again and get into the teens for fat pounds left to lose.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #52  

I have a picture of Hubby hanging near the doorwary of his office where he can see it everyday. It was taken on board his carrier at the end of his 6 month cruise a few months before we were married. He was 177lbs at 6ft. I hope it would inspire him to exercise or make better choices. Hubby drinks a lot of Cokes and instead of taking his lunch buys fast food. {that really bugs me!} But in his defense I've hung pictures of me, even a dress up to inspire me and I don't feel they helped either. Maybe I should hang copies of the pic on the vending machines at work?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Happy Friday Ladies!

All this talk about our SO's and weight loss. Dr. BF loves me the way I am but does encourage me to lose weight for my health. He's 6'4 and a whopping 180lbs.. that's up 10lb since we first got together...

Bloodwork SUCKS!! But 7 Vials? I hope they gave you lots of donuts!!

Gemologist.. What an exciting job. I picture you travelling the mountains of some foreign country looking for rubies and Emeralds!

School is in already?? Kids up here don't go back until Sept 8th.

I am finally getting ripe tomatoes out of my garden. I am in love with my Yellow Boys. Big fat sweet juicy low acidic tomatoes. Makes the best toasted T'mater Sammiches. No bacon. No lettuce. Just T'maters , mayo, and a bit of old sharp Cheddar.

Got a reduced "student rate" membership at our local Y. Doctors want me to swim so I now have a pool. Might try Aqua Fit classes see how that works for the back.

Enjoy the weeknd ladies... I'm off to do my first book signing!!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #54  
Lifelong Journey Member

OMW, oo-la-la, dinner was fabulous. I made the Tomato Mozzarella Salad. (Reddish font for the tomato dinner). Since you'd said fresh basil, I decided to make a small amount of pesto. I used the pesto, 2 oz mozzarella and 2 tomatoes. I added up the cals (even weighed and measured everything and it was 289 calories. It was delicious. Thanks so much. I told DH about my dinner and I got a very tepid response since he hates tomatoes and fresh mozz (likes the shredded stuff - I don't get that). I think he wasn't too interested in the pesto either. Anyway, thanks for sharing your yummy salad idea. I loved it and see it in my future often. BTW, the pesto was simple to make in my Magic Bullet. Took less than a minute. I love my bullet.

Hotsplashes, have fun at your signing. And with the swimming. I did AquaJoggers at our Y a couple years back. I really thought it was fun until I realized the man teaching it was a bit freaky - bad vibes. I still have all my stuff and use it in my pool when I'm injured from my more adventuresome sports.

Penguin, I put a pic of my DH on the fridge that I love. I can't remember if I posted it so I'll do it again. It always makes me think about whether I really need anything from the fridge.

I'll edit my post after I upload it. I tend lose my posts when I do anything but type.
Marie

Edited... I'm bummed, I can't find the original jpg so I scanned the 3x5 I have on my fridge so it's pretty grainy. But it's still funny.

Last edited by Marie; 08-15-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #55  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Hi all! I'm new. I put my bio up in the bio thread and started a blog, so I won't put all the introductory stuff here, I will just jump right in with an interesting little fact I learned last year about beet greens when I got into gardening. Beets and swiss chard are the same species, beta vulgaris. We call them beets if we grow them for the roots and chard if we grow them for the greens. So, if you like chard, you'll probably like beet greens!

ICUwishing: good luck on the planning to take the big leap to entrepreneur -- that's very exciting!

patchworkpenguin: I've found that shorter hair works better with thinning too. And, it's a lot easier to care for!

Onmyway: good to see a Missourian here! Good luck with the start of school!

Hotsplashes: congrats on your first book signing -- what a wonderful moment in your career!

Marie: love that refrigerator pic! Very inspiring in a goofy way!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #56  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Gardener, we're pretty close, I'm in Ellisville! Welcome to the boards, this is a great group!

Marie, Glad you enjoyed the salad, I have an abundance of basil right now and need to try making pesto!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #57  
Lifelong Journey Member

Welcome Joy, you've found your way to a great group. Very supportive and the best part is we all grew up in the same era and are currently in the same boat with aging. It's amazing how wonderful that is . Because dieting when I was 20 was so much more effective daily than now. But now I'm old enough to be losing weight for health not beauty. I'd much rather the now than when I was 20. And the picture - it is extremely goofy and strangely a great motivation on the fridge. One other thing (after reading your bio), weigh yourself. Do it first thing in the morning. I swear there's nothing more motivating to get you started. Also it's really motivating to see the downward progress on a regular basis, especially in the first couple weeks.

OMW, my sister taught me to make pesto last week when I was on vacation. But I couldn't exactly remember so I typed pesto recipe on google. One of the first hits stated exactly how to freeze the frozen pesto. Take a look since you have loads of basil. Me - I just bought 6 containers of basil at the gardening store and 3 italian parsley. Also 3 humungous pots to plant them in. Today's plan is to re-pot them and put them on the file cabinet. It has year round sun and needs something on it as Kody seems to think he can stand on it to look out the window. A no-no so. I'm going to fill it up so he can't do it.

Another loss today. 154.0 - no rounding necessary. So officially I have 19 pounds to go. But as I think I'll be eating about the same calories to maintain, it's not a finishing line - more like a commencement in the real sense of the word. I nearly bubbled this morning with the reading. So little to make me happy. I just had to call DH to let him know. He was happy for me too.

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 08-15-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 112kg 247 lbs/90kg/67kg 147lbs

Height: 5'3'' 160 cm

Hi ladies,

I'm back home after a long time and looking forward to be with all of you again.
As I can see you are all doing great . I've menaged to maintain my weight last few weeks,while I was on vacation.
It is now time to go back to good old : exercise + eating routine.
Have a great weekend
Nell

Last edited by Nell68; 08-15-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Nell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #59  

Hey All! Hubby and I are trying to get some things done before my surgery on Mon. He hung a picture for me in our bedroom, now he's working on a new doorjam for the front door, and hopefully later tonight he'll get to install new folding doors for our laundry room. Ours are louvered and a pain to clean, I saw on HGTV where they replaced the doors with solid doors, and I had to have some. Our laundry room is the original outside storage room. Someone removed part of a wall between the kitchen and 3rd bedroom and opended the sstorage room to the house, but there's only enough room for a stack w/d. I think the 3rd bedroom is supposed to be a breakfast room, since there's a passthrough also, but I use it as a sewing room.

Nell, Welcome back

Marie, I went looking at Lowe's for some herbs to keep inside in a pot but no such luck! My few outside herbs aren't doing very well either this year. Love the picture of your Hubby!

Joy, Welcome to the group!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #60  
Heidi

ICUWishing - I think it is great that you are taking a step back and deciding what to do next!! Can't wait to see how it all turns out... The world of gemology is so interesting!

OnMyWay - Good luck at school on Monday! Do teachers get nervous on the first day, too??

Marie - I'm glad to see your loss is going quite well!! And I love the pic of your DH!

HotSplashes - Wow, no school until 9/8??! We start 8/27 here. I'm glad your tomatoes are finally ripening. I see we have 2 on our bush that are red. Woo hoo! How did your book signing go? That's great that you got a Y membership; I'm sure that you'll enjoy that...

GardenerJoy - Welcome to the group! How interesting about the beets / chard distinction... I bought more beets today. I don't really *want* more beets. But I bought them for the greens! At the farm stand where I buy them, they ask if you want them to cut the greens off. I asked what most people say, and most people say yes. They're missing the best part!

Nelie - Welcome back; I hope you had a great vacation!! Congrats on maintaining your weight!

PenguinJoe - Sounds like your husband is a busy, handy, man! Good luck with the surgery on Monday; I'm assuming this is for the other eye?

As for me, I exercised again today (woo hoo) including the arms. Tomorrow is the dreaded Steelers party. I'm sure it will be fine, though...

Last edited by newleaf123; 08-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.