Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #16  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! I survived the wilderness of Isle Royale! We logged in 28 miles of hiking in the 4+ days (the pack turned out to be 45 pounds), had fabulous weather, and saw a bull moose at REALLY close range. I expect to lose at least one toenail and possibly two, but the minor blisters are already healed and don't present a bad memory at all! Better footwear for next time, though.

No loss, no gain - but immense satisfaction on being able to do some seriously hard hiking/climbing for continuous days with NO muscle aches.

CAT - sounds like the gallbladder's long gone - I'm glad it went well and now you can truly CRUISE!
Alley - welcome!
Marie - I detest those yellowjackets. Go to Isle Royale - I never saw a single one!

Obviously, a tremendous amount of catching up to do! More later ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #17  
If its to be its up to me

S/C/G: 225/184/155

Height: 5'5"

Talking

Good morning all ...

I went out for a walk last night at from 9:30 to 10:30PM. It was nice and I hope I can keep it up. My walking road blocks are my boys. I started the family thing a little later than most and at 47 I have a 4 1/2 year old and a 9 year old. Morning walking is not an option because my DH is gone to work before we get up in the am.

However, I am down one more pound, so I changed my ticker and added a cheerleader for my first 5 pound loss

Today has started out good with an egg whites and veggie scramble and a protien drink. I shopped for a bunch of veggies, high fiber and higher protien menu items so my fridge is now correctly stocked.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by AlleyTD; 07-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
AlleyTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #18  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Maggie, I am feeling much better. At this point I have put the gain behind me and will move forward.

I can relate to your issue with calories; the higher my carb days the worse the cravings and the more likely I am to go over my target number.

OnMyWay.... I too love a good sale. I went to the mall the other day and really had to pull myself away from all the sales. My closet is still full of clothes that don't fit (8's & 10's) so I really do not need new clothes and I don't want to buy anything that I'll only wear a few weeks.

Patch - That is great news about your successful surgery, 20/25 is awesome.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your sister's visit.

LM - How about the 140 buddies, I don't plan to be 148 long. I would really like to get back to where I was (142.8) before I leave for Alaska in three weeks. In the past I have always gained 5-10 lbs. during a cruise. The only time I didn't gain weight was a couple years ago when I did Hawaii with my MIL. I barely drank, I ate lots of GREAT fruit, and worked out every day.

Don't give up we can do this together. At this point I have given myself a goal deadline to help me stay focused. My entire family will be getting together for Thanksgiving and I would like to be at goal by then. That's a little less than 1.5 lbs. per week.... VERY DOABLE.

Dancer - You are doing GREAT. Your question about goal is one of those that is very difficult. One size does not fit all even for the same person. I have my goal weight at 125 because like Heidi it is a weight I remember looking and feeling REALLY good in the last 10 years. For me I want to be at a weight where I look good and can maintain easily while still live life.

Marie - You are very lucky to have such a competent dog sitter. I would pay very good money for the right person to stay with my guys. Although Tucker is not the most social dog and it would really take someone that is NOT intimidated by a bully. Tucker is not aggressive but he will try to scare you in to keeping your distance. If you ignore him he does fine if you don't he will take advantage and continue to try and mess with you.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #19  
Eat Less Move More

Welcome back ICU. What an awesome accomplishment. Would love to see pictures when you get a chance.

Alley - Congrats on the 1 lb. As time goes by I'm sure you will find a schedule that works for you and your family. The key for me is to make sure that I am TAKING that time for me. I don't have kids but my five dogs sure can keep me busy.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #20  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Marie - wow, that approach (not counting the 20) does sound punitive! Luckily, that won't happen again

ICUWishing - welcome back!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip and see pictures. It sounds like you were in excellent shape for the trip -- WTG!!

AlleyTD - nice job of the fridge stocking and finding a way to get a walk in. Congrats on the 5lbs; sounds like you are off and running!

CruiseCAT - sounds like your goal is very doable and you will be comfortably in your 10s & 8s before you know it!

As for me, I went to the library today and took out three Large Print books to motivate myself to get on the exercise equipment...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #21  
Heidi

Swtgila - I saw that you are in Mobile... my ILs live in Foley, and over Christmas last year we went up to Mobile to go see the battleship. What an incredible day that was, very educational and a lot of fun. My boys loved it!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #22  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I went to lunch with M, D, Sis today then shopping at a sidewalk mall. I bought a pair of black pants; that's me, always living dangerously!

I'm going to try to get some exercise {walking} before it becomes time to start dinner. We bought some produce also and I need to get it cleaned and chopped, and in some cases frozen!

ICU Glad you had such a good time on your hikes. Eeek about the toenails!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #23  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Penguin - I hear you on the black pants, although I need to branch out into some other colors one of these days.

CruiseCAT - glad to hear you're feeling better. You'll be back to normal in no time and I'm sure your new level of fitness will help a lot.

AlleyTD - I have young kids, too, and I totally understand about it being tough to fit in time to exercise. My dh leaves for work at 6:25AM, so I have to be back from my walk by then - sometimes I leave at 5AM.

ICUwishing - way to go on the hiking! You are my hero!

losermom - interesting discussion on your goal weight. I also chose a weight from the past where I was very happy. That might go upward as I get closer, though.

Marie - although my education is in civil engineering, my experience is in working on huge industrial projects. Since we have now moved to a small city with a more service/government/tourism base, I'm finding it really hard to find a job. I've always loved the financial part of my work, so I'm taking some education and training to get an accounting designation. It should help my job search once I have a fair bit of it completed - probably next summer sometime. I'm going to do the majority of my studying while the boys are at summer camp or school.

newleaf - yeah, I'm starting to think that my goal weight may be too low, based on what you and others are finding at this age. Time will tell.

My grain free experiment has been interesting. Yesterday I met all my goals for calories, carbs, etc and I gained a pound. The good news is that my back pain that I've had for the last 4 months is gone. I thought it might be tied to my food sensitivities, but now I have the proof. Hmmm. It might take a while to figure out what I need to eat to lose weight again, though.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #24  
Heidi

So it worked! The large print book I'm reading is total fluff and was easy to read. I walked for 45 min. without getting bored and actually worked up a pretty good sweat!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #25  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Isle Royale. Some of the sights ... if you like nature and feeling like a visitor to a truly wild place, this is a MUST. I am definitely going back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IR shore.jpg (40.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IR Us 4.jpg (38.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IR woods.jpg (64.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IR Moose.jpg (69.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IR Hill.jpg (62.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #26  
Recovering Pantry Pest

CAT - I've got a whole album of 47 pictures on my FB page. Anyone else, if you want to see the whole journey, with captions, let me know!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #27  
Eat Less Move More

ICU - Loved the pictures and the solitude.... heavenly!!! Even with the killer blisters you looked VERY happy and in YOUR element. Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I had to laugh about Alex's pack being to heavy, I usually whine on the way OUT and end up giving Mack a few extra pounds to hump out.

Thank you so much for sharing. It really helps remind me why I am getting healthy.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #28  
Eat Less Move More

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
So it worked! The large print book I'm reading is total fluff and was easy to read. I walked for 45 min. without getting bored and actually worked up a pretty good sweat!
What a GREAT idea. I'll be at the library today and will get a couple LP books for the treadmill.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ladies - thanks, all, for the thoughtful comments on goal setting. I think it's interesting that so many are going on memory. My initial goal of 160 is roughly what I weighed at a very happy time when I met my bf 7 yrs ago so I was using that same logic : )

Newleaf - very cool idea on the large print books!

ICU - loved the pix and so glad you had fun and a great adventure!

penguin and presmaggie - seriously, do pants come in another color besides black?!!? Looking at my closet you would certainly not think so : )

marie - I like you're scale strategy of recording the low and ignoring the gain until it's gone. That's pretty what I've been doing with the small fluctuations so I don't make myself nuts. I think you've also talked about as long as the trend is downward... which I find helpful as well!

Am off on a hike with my sis on a random mid-week vacation day. Will touch base later...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #30  
Heidi

ICUWishing - I loved the pictures!! I'm not on facebook; otherwise I would have loved to see the other 40+. What a fabulous trip...

CruiseCAT - How is life w/o a gall bladder? Does it make a difference in what you can / can't eat? How are you adjusting to that?

DancerInDenver - Enjoy your time hiking with your sister; I'm envious!

Here, the scale is moving again. Of course I intellectually knew this, but for me (since I have a very healthy diet) exercise = scale movement. Why, oh why, don't I just exercise then??? All this to just go on vacation again for a week, come Saturday. I need to keep the weight off while we're gone, but it should be a pretty active vacation, and also we're renting a house so won't be eating in a restaurant for all our meals, so I'm hopeful.