Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #1  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Default 40's July week 3 chat

Happy Sunday everyone! Not sure if I'm supposed to start the new thread today or tomorrow so here goes!

I got my wish and we had a cloudy day yesterday. We were outside for swim conference from 6:30 - 3:00. DD had a great day, placed 3rd in breast, 13th in the IM, 14th in butterfly and her medley relay team placed 2nd. It was hot but cloudy, feel like I lost about 10 pounds sweating! If only that was true!

Dancer, rollerblading sounds great. Glad to hear you and the others are wearing helmets. I wear one when I bike and have short hair so major helmet head but it's worth it to be safe.

Cat, Glad to hear you are getting back to yourself. Don't sweat the gain, you know where it's coming from. I feel like you these last few months, more maintenance than really working at losing. On the plus side, I know I can maintain but I still want to lose some more first.

Beemer, how was the rabbit show. How does a rabbit show work? I envision a dog show with rabbits!

Patchwork, were those strawberry chocolate brownies a light recipe? If so, please share!

Marie, When DD was 8, she fell riding a scooter and broke her arm in 2 places. The Dr. in the ER asked her if she was wearing a helmet (she was not that time), she answered that she wasn't planning on falling! We got a good laugh but it was a big wake up call about how important a helmet is. My DH is going fishing for a week later this month and I am looking forward to him being gone so I can have the house to myself (and the kids!)

Hope everyone has a "slim" Sunday.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #2  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Happy Sunday Everyone!!!

This morning is beautiful out. I just read that thunderstorms are to appear by 11:00 am. Our weather is so strange this year. Usually be mid-June, the rain and clouds are gone until mid-Sept. Not this year. It's chilly (highs of80 instead of 97) and chances of t-storms. It's almost like I moved back to the midwest. Anyway, I'm going to brave the chilly morning temps ( that's not different this year) and swim early today. I already walked with my doggies. I'll vacuum and steam clean the floors, then jump in the pool for a swim. It's a no elliptical day but for some reason I'm in the mood to do it. I know if I do, my quads will be sore by Wednesday's workout. So I'm going to try to resist the temptation to exercise (on it not elsewhere). I would never, ever have guessed I'd have to resist exercise. I really I'd come to this point a lot earlier in my life.

OMW, sounds like your daughter did great at the meet. We're totally opposite on the sun/cloud idea. I'd rather slather loads of sunscreen on me and bake in the heat then clouds. I just love sunshine.

I'm an audiobook person as I can't sit still to read a book. Anyway, I just finished a very lovely book, The Amazing Interlude by Mary Rinehart. It's a book written long, long ago set in WWI. I highly recommend it. And I just started to listen to Nora Roberts' new book, Black Hills on the doggie walk this morning. I liked it from the first minute. The narrator for both books is very good, especially The Amazing Interlude - the narrator was excellent.

Time to get to the floors. The doggies have slimed them up in a way only three dogs can.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

OMW, I'd be happy to post the recipe but I have to warn you the texture was a little weird; like a wet sponge. I didn't copy the recipe word for word so please ask if anything is weird.

Weight Watcher's Raspberry Brownies
{I used Strawberry jam}

3oz choc
4 lg eggs, room temp
1/2 c sugar
1 tea vanilla
1/4 tea salt
1/2 c butter, melted {I think I used applesauce which might have affected the texture}
3/4 c flour {I used whole wheat}
1/2 c raspberry jam {or choice}

Preheat 350* Grease {Pam} 8" pan. Beat eggs and sugar 7min, until pale yellow and doubled in volume. Add vanilla & salt. Mix. Add butter. Mix. Add flour. Mix. {okay, I dumped it all in then mixed}

Divide batter between two bowls. Melt choc, pour in one bowl. Add Jam to other. Mix well. Scrape most of choc into greased pan, reserving a few TBs. Top with jam mix; dot top with rest of choc. Using a knife swirl in choc to make pretty designs.

Bake 20-25 min. cool in pan
WW Compele cookbook
274 cal, pro 6g, fat 12g, carbs 39g, sod 211mg, chol 106 mg, fib 0
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #4  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

OK - I've been out of touch this week, can't even catch up though I did read through everything. This last week has been "all about me" with my son out of town. Trying to get really firmly into my food routine, etc. before I have to cater to little Mr. Skinny's out of control appetite. I don't think that child will EVER stop growing! People keep telling me that he'll hit a point where he won't grow for 6 months or so. Well, it's been 5 years, and it hasn't happened!

Also, it's been wild at work, as we were short 5 people last week! And three days we were down to 2 people, when we normally have 8. Craziness.

Anyway - successful week. Hit my first "mini-goal", headed for the next. Also somewhere over the last month I lost an inch off the hips and chest. But only 1/2" on the waist.

Also did a full detail on my car this weekend - gotta pick MIL and my son up from the airport. Thank goodness she's going to a hotel, so she can visit friends in North Houston, and not coming to my house. Of course, if shere were maybe my house would look as good as my car . . . wouldn't that be nice? She is seriously hyper-critical. But I get my son back!

Oh - and got a sort of compliment the other day. I got in a conversation with the (young, fit, kinda cute) guy at GNC the other day about diet, carb/protein balance, etc. And he looked me over and said, "Well, you look pretty lean . . . For Baytown!" Joys of living in the 6th fattest metro (Houston suburb) in the country - I look great by comparison! Thank goodness I moved here from the other extreme, so I don't use these standards.

Penguin - Glad to hear your enjoying your renewed vision. It is so awesome! My vision was always correctable, but I was somewhere around the 20/2000 mark before. I couldn't even tell there was an "E" on the vision chart! And by comparison, my darling husband can read the bottom line, forward and backward, with each eye independently. They couldn't believe it at his last checkup. This is in spite of 25 years of welding. Thank goodness that so far my son seems to have his eyes.

Denver - I always enjoyed skating as a child, so I decided to try rollerblading a while back. I'd love to be able to, but I'm just not brave enough. Those things need brakes! I'm sure if I stuck with it, I'd get it back. I'm just afraid of what I'd do to myself in the process! Great job for sticking with it. It's great exercise, and looks like a lot of fun.

Marie - Good thing we don't live in the same area - if we ever got together the electronics would be in serious trouble! I'm always threatening various appliances, DVD players, computers, etc. And I'm a pretty good shot; my husband keeps the guns locked away any more.

And yes - I lived in Silverthorne, just across I-70 from Dillon. Beautiful area, extremely high cost of living. And snow from September until May (and occasionally July) got old. 7 years was enough. We have so much in the way of family and friends in Colorado that we're back to visit at least once a year, and frequently 2 or 3 times. My retirement goal is to be able to summer there and spend the rest of the year here. Typical snowbird!

Have a wonderful Sunday!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone!! Got in really late last night and having a hard time getting going this AM! Started to type this post in the last weeks thread but changed it over when I saw the new one started.

Onmyway-Glad you got your wish for a cloudy day! Tell your daughter good job on her meet!! Too bad we can't lose that much from sweating. I sweat terribly when I run and carry a cold wet paper towel with me to wipe myself off. I really miss it when I forget. I tell my friends that is my secret weapon in a race, LOL!!

jelder-Good to see you!! I don't think they ever stop growing while they live with us!! My son has passed me in height and now wears bigger shoes than my husband at 13 years old! Just wait til your son has to buy adult shoes. They sure jump in price!!

Penguin-Sounds like you are having fun cooking!! That recipe looks great!

CAT-I hope you are doing well today and healing nicely!!

Marie and Onmyway-We breed and show Mini Rex which are the rabbits that have the velvet type fur. It has the best feel to it of any rabbit. Rabbit shows are quite similar to dog shows except thankfully we don't have to parade them around. Each breed is judged by it varieties for Best of Variety and Best Opposite Sex. In our kind of rabbit they go by color. Then the varieties all go against each other for Best of Breed. The Best of Breeds then compete for Best in Show. It can be pretty exciting when you are in the running. My kids show in youth.

The farthest they have made it so far is Best of Opposite Sex Breed. My sons rabbit won our 4H fair with Best of Breed so that was even farther but didn't count towards ARBA which is like AKC in dogs. ARBA is much stricter than AKC with registering. They will only register a showable animal which is nice. Then you know you are getting a quality animal. One of our rabbits so far is a Grand Champion. My son was very proud to accomplish that! Rabbit breeding is fun. The bunnies are soooo cute!! We have 5 babies right and two pregnant ones. Here are a couple pics of my babies last summer:

Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

Beemer, your bunnies are so cute. What a neat thing for you and your kids to do. There is nothing like baby animals. Please post a few of the babies!

Jelder, LOL at the Dillon cost of living. One week there was enough to break the bank. But it sure is beautiful. I only have one relative left living in Colorado. When DH finishes building our plane (probably next summer) he's mentioned returning to ski there again. As we live near loads of ski resorts (Tahoe has the most) I think he's nuts, but I certainly wouldn't say no.
Dancer (from the post on week 2 that I accidently posted to as well), sounds like you had a great time. My inline skates are CCMs and I put an aftermarket ankle brake on them. The works great. Just straighten your brake leg and you come to a stop. I detested heel pads!I do have long bangs that are off to the side of my face. I did grow them out then cut them back to the picture length in May. I think they soften my face. The annoying parts - they don't stay in a ponytail, they fall in my face if I don't diligently blow them dry in the direction I want them to go,then spray them in place. The good part is I look better with them. For exercising, I use those snap type barrettes and hold them off my face. Heck, right now I have one in as I really get irritated when they're in my face. But right now is weekend and my DH doesn't seem to care if I look like I'm two. But at work and to look "good" I use my 2" curling iron to give them shape, then spray them in place. It was actually a hard decision to cut them back off but immediately I liked my mirror reflection a lot better.

I swam 1/2 mile this afternoon in the cold wind. I'd left the solar cover off my pool and it's only 67 degrees out. Brrr. The water was chilly. Even swimming full speed didn't warm me up. But it was stil fun. I couldn't convince myself to jump in the pool, knowing it was a tad chilly. So I did what I promised DH I wouldn't do the rest of the year. I dove in. I can handle it head first. I really do think I'm a nut case. But my wrist had no problem with the one dive .

OK back to what remains of weekend. I hate that it's ending. DH just came home from guard weekend and told me he took this week off. That makes it worse as he'll be home and I have to work.
Marie
Old 07-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Reposted from the end of last week's thread - one of these days I'm going to catch on to the whole 'now it's a new week and a new thread' deal : )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy, ladies! Back from Boulder where we had a good time and it felt like we were much further away than we really were : ) I wore my helmet skating like a good girl although I wasn't thrilled about it.

Beemer - Rollerblade brand skates have a much easier brake than the ones where you have to tip your toe up to get the brakes to engage, if you're ever interested in trying again. It makes a nice complement to running as it's not so ballistic and works slightly different muscles (supposed to be great for shapely rear view too). Glad to hear that running helped with toning arms - I'm not a big weights girls so I'm psyched that I may have the arm thing covered in advance - now I just need to lose the fat layer : )

CAT - so glad to hear you're on the mend. And no more attacks, ever!! I'm sure the scale will go to a normal place soon once all the disruptions are over and you've had time to heal.

Marie - you're right about helmet hair - not too bad with long hair. Silly question but I'm thinking about getting long side bangs which it looks like you may have based on your avatar. Are bangs hard to deal with with the helmet and when you exercise? I haven't had them in ages and wanted to get some feedback before I take the plunge.

I thought the botox might not be working at all as I couldn't really see a difference yesterday but this afternoon when I frowned as hard as I could, there wasn't a horizontal groove/furrow above the top of my nose, just below my eyebrows so that was cool. My bf said my frown still looks like a frown, but less mad which I thought was funny. Don't see a difference yet with the crowsfeet but that may change. Will keep you posted...

Off to continue ice my knee...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #8  
Lifelong Journey Member

As I've been wanting to shoot my scale I thought I'd share an image a great chickie friend from another thread shared...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #9  

Ok, twist my arm to show off my babies, LOL!! Here are some pics from today:

dancer-That is nice to know they have an easier way to brake now for us roller challenged, LOL!! I was so used to rollerskating that it was hard to do that. I actually have a pair of rollerskates that I use now around the neighborhood. I also use them at the rink. I think skating is great exercise!!

Have a great night everyone!!

Last edited by Beemer; 07-12-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Beemer, AWWWWW! Baby Bunnies. They are adorable! I love the dark grey ones in your earlier post!

Marie, I feel the same way about my scale. I did lose that lb {and its friend} so I'm back to the original 5lbs lost. I feel very virtuous tonight, I'm trying for 1500 -1800 calories but tonight I'm at 1999! LOL, so I'm happy that I didn't break 2000! I was hungry and Hubby wasn't so I kept snacking this afternoon until he caught up with me so we could eat together. Bad idea!

Dancer, glad the Botox is working for you. I don't think I could do that, I get enough needles as it is. Ick!

Jeider, I was in my twenties before I realized there was even 12 lines on the chart! I thought I was doing well to read the 6th! Dad and Hubby both have great vision. I'm thinking about trying to drive again. Scary territory, I was never comfortable with driving but I can see the stoplights again and 20/40 is driving vision but I'm worried about the distortion factor. I can't do anything about that, and I'm afraid I would miss something important. But I think Hubby and I are going out in the middle of nowhere so I can give it a try again. Its been about 8 years, I may need a refresher course. I kept Hubby from oversleeping this morning for church by threatening to drive myself {in his precious truck!}

Question, Has anyone used a choc cake/brownie recipe that calls for pureed prunes? How did that work/taste? I have to admit the whole idea gets an ewww form me.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #11  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Beemer - LOL - Maybe I'll try the wet paper towel during my workouts - my face and head sweat SO much! The rest of me, not as badly. It's weird. I also turn beet red and look like I'm about to die. It's gotta be genetic - my brother does the same, as does my son.

I've watched the growth charts, and my son is supposed to pass me at 13 also. And I'm 5'8" - HELP! And if things don't slow down, he'll be in adult shoes shortly - he's wearing 1.5 at just turned 5. The mini-Rex bunnies are adorable. Lance just spent a week trying to catch the bunnies at his grandmas - he would love to pet yours! They are the softest - we have a friend who raised / showed them.

dancerindenver - Glad the botox seems to be having some results. I have a friend who swears by it, though she lives the other end of the country and I've never been able to see the results first hand. Sounds like it might impair my "mommy look" though - better skip it for a few years. I don't need anything that will made me look "less mad".

Marie - That would be me with the scale some days! I'm sending that one on to some friends. Fortunately not right now - mine is flirting with 157! Just gotta remember that next week is the rough week.

patchworkpenguin - Good luck with the driving - it would be great if it gets to where you're comfortable with it. Though believe me, there are worse things than to be chauffered and not have to deal with the jerky drivers out there. They've gotten worse in the last 10 years.

Congrats on the weight loss - and definitely ewww on the prune thing! Might be good - but doesn't sound it!

Off to work out, shower, go to work. Going to be a rough week - the boss will be back, and there will be some grumpy bosses today 'cause of some stuff that happened last week. Not our fault, but they still won't be happy. Can I call in sick? First time in 3 years I've really wanted to do that. Oh well . . .
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #12  
Wandering in the Woods

Down another pound. Lost five total. I'd like one of those ticker thingies that show a five pound lost increments. How do I find these things? I've earned one, and I'm excited.

I spent the weekend with DH hoisting rafters (big 20' long , green 2x12's , up a 12/12 pitch) ... we're building a shop/garage. So I worked most of the weekend. Had a few perimenopausal meltdowns, but both DH and I survived.

Marie ~ I'm not all that far away from you , relative to the whole country, and we've been having unusually cool weather too.

Jelder ~ great about your meeting your mini goal !!!!

Beemer~ I sweat a lot too, know all about the towel needed as much as the shoes. I use a bandana, or two, one tied around my forehead. And, your bunnies are adorale ! I love those rexes, they look like real velvet . I use to raise rabbits as a kid, in 4-H, even had a rex. Later, in my twenties I raised some angora rabbits , as I became a yarn spinner. Talk about high maintenance !
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #13  
Ready to hit the beach!

Good Morning all!

jelder, my son passed me up at 13 and I'm 5'8" also. He topped out at 6' 4". It is such a weird feeling to look up to him! Enjoy the little guy, they grow up way too fast!

patchwork, I second the EWWW on the prunes in the cake. I would think you would have to warn guests before letting them eat it! I hope all goes well with driving again. It must be very hard to depend on others to get you where you would like to go.

beemer, OMG! How cute are those bunnies! I cannot show my DD these pics or she will want one!

Marie, Loved the cartoon! I feel that way sometimes too! Swimming in 67 degree weather, you are very dedicated.

dancer, glad to see you are noticing a change after the botox. Your trip sounded fun. Not sure if I'm ready to rollerblade again, the fear of falling and breaking something is a bit much for me. Also pitched the rollerblades after the mouse incident!

Walked with my neighbor early this am. Tomorrow we are going to go to water aerobics in the morning instead. If I like it I am going to get a swipe card so I can go regularly. Hope everyone has a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Default A New Week!

Wow - another week gone by...and the weekends are just too darn short! I haven't been posting much...I promise I will try and get better...otherwise,how will I get to know you?!

I got back to logging my food. It really helps! I have made it to the 180's. Yesterday we did a lot of dancing at rehearsals which really helped.

I hope you all have your plan and stick to it!!!

God bless!

~gloria
dietingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #15  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Susan - Those bunnies are just too cute. When I first saw the grey (blue) ones I was like I want one and then when you posted the new pictures I was like I've GOT to have one; they look like they are brindle. The would fit right in with my "Brindle Pack".

Patch - Those brownies sound really good. I'm not big on "cakes" but when I do want some I like brownies. I'll have to try those the next time I have craving.

Marie - I'm an avid reader and also enjoy audio books. Now that the Kindle 2 has dropped in price I've been thinking I might add that to my gadgets. I love that it can also be used with the iPhone. I've been watching a couple on eBay as I hate paying retail for anything. Would like to find one that has some books already on it that are of interest to me.

BTW - Did I miss something.... what is this about building a plane?

jelder - Good for you on having "me" days.

Hermit - way to go on the 5 lbs. You can find ticker's here on 3FC or you can to: http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticke...r_designer.php

Denver - That is what I need, a frown that doesn't make me look pissed. I've noticed that if I'm not smiling it looks like I am angry. I find the more weight I lose the worse this is.

OnMyWay - Thank you for the PM. I feel so good I'm finding it difficult to "take it easy". I have committed to stay off all equipment until Thursday. I'm doing some "putzing" around the house but nothing major and NO lifting.

Mack was home with me the four days and boy did he spoil me. He cooked, cleaned, took care of the dogs, and even did laundry. I am constantly wondering how I got so lucky finding such a GREAT guy.

Thank you again for all your kind words and well wishes. Now that it is over I have to ask myself why did I wait all these years??? I am convinced that the anesthesiologist made all the difference. We talked for about 15 minutes about past complications with a general and she said she would mix up a combination to help alleviate post op symptoms. Well I'm going to need to find out what that combination was because I had NO nausea, I didn't feel like a truck had hit me, and the pain in my shoulders from the gas was almost non-existent.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote