3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 40-Somethings

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #46
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Hermitgirl, you are so right. The scale is a great tool but also an enemy! As my weightloss has slowed, I'm trying to focus more on the many NSV's rather than that number. I won't let it ruin my day, especially when I look at how far I have come. As for replying to everyone, we all agree that it's hard to keep track when the thread is very active, no hurt feelings if one does not post to everyone individually.

I haven't lost since returning from vacation 3 weeks ago. I'm exercising regularly but not following my WW points like I did in the beginning. I'm making better choices when I eat out but it looks like that is not enough to see consistent results. I've decided to keep doing what I'm doing now until I go back to school in Aug. and then get back to really serious weightloss eating. I think this summer has been like maintenance and I see that I can do that.

Have a great Thursday!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #47

S/C/G: 187.4/187.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi all..Newbie here, but have been a member for couple of years. I am very, very motivated to lose weight and I hope and pray that this time, I will stick to it...Have enjoyed reading through everyone's posts today. I am a military wife, have 2 sweet and cute teens (16/13) girls! Have a great dog and 2 cats. Living in N. Va at the moment and I just ordered power 90X as NOTHING else I've been doing has worked.

Hope y'all have a great day!
fittmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #48
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi Fittmom.... WELCOME to one of the greatest groups on 3FC. The ladies here are wonderful.

BTW - What part of NOVA are you from and how long have you been there? I grew up in McLean.

CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #49
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Dancer, after reading your post yesterday, I stared in the mirror at the vertical lines between my eyebrows. HmmmmÖ How long do they project the botox lasts? You must be pleased your reward looks great.

Newleaf, is your screen name because of the 1500 dollar leaf blower??? I didnít know anyone made one that expensive. I will get the glacier pics off my DHís computer and upload one. They really are amazing.

Penguin, laundry isnít exciting??? Since the turn of time, itís always been a womanís pleasure to wash the whites. Actually, if I lollygag in bed for more than 10 minutes, Iím blasť all day and have little energy. So I set an alarm on the weekends. But my doggies beat the alarm as they know when itís time to go for their walk. I canít train them not to pull while walking, but I sure have them trained at what time they walk.

Losermom, welcome back. It sounds like you had a great vacation. My goal for vacations and exercise is to do enough not to lose stamina/fitness. If you ran a few times, you did that. When I was gone for 3 weeks in Thailand, I exercised daily but not with the workout that my elliptical gives so it took 3 weeks just to get the stamina back. At least your running, you can take anywhere!

Presmaggie, YEAH on being down a pound. Congratulations!!! I swear when the evil scale shows progress itís the best motivator in the world.

Beemer, I have to agree red velvet cake rocks. Itís my birthday cake (my mom always homemade a cake of our choosing and that was mine Ė still is). Iíll be in MN for my b-day in less than 3 weeks and my parents are having a party with all my siblings (I think the last time was a reunion 7 years ago). Anyway, my middle sister told my mom I wouldnít want red velvet cake as I was dieting. My poor mom called in a panic as that was something special she loves to do. I was like, no way, I want red velvet. I told her I knew exactly how many calories were in it and I will eat a piece proportional to my calorie limit. I was blown away my sister would think Iíd want something different.

I donít think Iíd do good with red eyes. My 3 doggies have blue eyes and when light hits their eyes just right, theyíre spooky. I guess if your bunnyís fur is excellent, I can see wanting to pet him endlessly. I just donít think I could look him in the eyes.

Hermit, I agree that balance is the right idea. I still weigh daily but my brain reaction to the scale is to want to lose. If I donít weigh, I gain weight. Pure and simple because I donít have a daily accountability. I no longer get totally angry by the fluctuations as long as Iím seeing a downward trend. Itís very interesting how all of us have different triggers and coping methods. I think itís totally trial and error of what works for every individual. My guess is that by our 40ís weíve pretty much figured ourselves out and what will work. Thatís why I know I wonít see the 160ís again. I wonít let myself fall into old traps.

OMW, if youíre maintaining, thatís success.Never underestimate the power of maintenance.

Welcome fittmom. Wow youíve been a member for over 2 years and this was your first post. What is 90X?

As I mentioned yesterday, Iím at the lose weight stage of my cycle (I honestly lose 95% of my monthly weight loss during this 7-10 days). So this morning I was excited to see another pound eradicated. I even made DH look. Iím like, look 157.0. Look, do you see??? As Iím poking him in the side. Today is no elliptical day but Iíve already walked and DH promises to toss the automatic pool cleaner in so I can swim. I usually do ľ mile but on non-elliptical days, I do Ĺ mile. Itís supposed to be in the nineties so it will be awesome. And I am officially (not unofficially though) out of ADM he11. ADM is the calculations of each students Average Daily Membership (a student that is enrolled every day of a school year is a 1.0 ADM and every day less enrolled is approximately .006 less ADM). The ADM is what our district (as well as all other school districts) is paid on. So itís the most important and most difficult of all the reports. Yesterday at midnight it officially closed. That is even more reason to celebrate than the 1 pound loss. But in the long run, the 1 pound is more important to me.

Have a great day all my chickie friends!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #50
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

We had a lot of storms and rain last night. One of our power wires from the house to the garage is broken but its only hanging down about 6 inches. I couldn't touch it if I tried, so Hubby will have to fix that later tonight. Funny there wasn't a branch, or any other reason I could tell for it being broken, and the other 4 in that bundle are fine??? ISP had been off for most of the day Grr

Sadly, I'm still at that leftover laundry, but only sheets to go!

Marie,April thinks she's a draft horse, and that its her job to pull us along! We bought her one of those Haltis and it works pretty well but we prefer to take her to the dog park where she can run off leash! She's a little bit of a couch potato {she takes after her Mother!} congrats on that pound

Welcome Fitmom, I did P90X a few years ago. I enjoyed it but I got really sick of Tony very quickly. I did the "lean" rotation with 12-15 reps. If I were going to do it again I would do Classic and 6-8 reps and probably get better results. I didn't follow the eating program, or really any eating program, but still managed to lose a few inches here and there. plus making strength gains. I did the weight workouts but did other workouts for cardio to give myself a break from Tony. He's great, he's goofy, but 90 days straight would be too much! I'd be happy to answer any P90x questions if I can. Glad to have you with us.

Hermit, congrats on the lost pound! I don't feel offended if someone skips me.

Beemer, I was never that fond of driving and am fine with leaving it in someone {anyone!} else's hands

Maggie, congrats on your pound! Good job for sticking with it through those three weeks!

LoserMom, welcome back Glad you had a revelation while you were gone! yay, for getting away and relaxing!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #51
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Penguin - do you usually get a lot of bad storms this time of year? I'm on the west coast and our stormy season is Oct-Dec.

Marie - what did you find was the best way to improve your stamina? Was it by attaining a certain heart rate during cardio?

fittmom - Honestly, for me I have never been able to lose weight so consistently in my life. It doesn't go down all the time, but when I go back to old habits briefly, it always helps to come here for support. I would not be able to do this without a supportive community like there is here at 3FC.

Onmyway - it's good to practice maintenance, too. I know that I would not be here if maintenance had been easy. When I was in my teens and early 20's, it was so easy to lose a few pounds and keep them off. Everything happened quickly. Now, as we all know, it's not our reality anymore.

Hermit Girl - I tend to gain weight when I don't weigh myself frequently, but I get obsessive after awhile with daily weigh ins. I haven't found the answer for that dilemma, yet, but if you do get some ideas, I'd love to hear them.

newleaf - thanks, I am trying to stay focused on the success of losing yet another pound. I have a top that was waaaay too tight when I started this journey and now it's looking a little baggy. That's a success, too!

Beemer - I forgot to say what beautiful bunnies you have! What's it like having so many of them around?

Today I have my wonderful cleaning lady here. Even though I'm not exactly rolling in money these days, I know that I need this for my mental health for awhile. I got really behind on cleaning over the winter when I was quite depressed about our Russian adoption falling through, so this is really helping me on the mental health side. I decided that I'm worth it (that is still a bit hard to say, though).
Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #52

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Botox before and after pics

Welcome, fittmom - we're glad to have you!

Marie - way to go on the new number!!!

Presmaggie - congrats on the loss - way to go!

OMW - maintenance seems like an important skill and you've already proved you've got it.

Okay, here goes with the Botox before and after photos, no makeup. Because I'm holding the camera so close to my face, my nose looks strangely large - I'm much more normal looking in real life : )

- photos removed -

Last edited by dancerindenver; 09-30-2010 at 12:37 PM.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #53

Maggie, Thunderstorms aren't unusual, but most of our bad storms happen in spring and fall when the weather is changing. The cold fronts from the North meet the Warm fronts from the south {Gulf of Mexico} in the Mid-South. In July '06 we had a straight wind storm that we call Hurricane Elvis, that knocked down a lot of trees and elecitricity was out for a while in parts of town. This year the same thing happened again a few weeks ago but less severe. We get tornados more often than the straightwinds, but thankfully not frequently in Memphis' limits. LOL, probably TMI but I'm pretty bored today!

ETA Wow Dancer. The Botox did make a big difference!

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 07-16-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #54
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

HermitGirl - I'm glad you've found something that is working for you; it sounds like you're on a great trajectory!

OnMyWay - I'm with you -- losing over the summer has been harder than I thought... but not gaining is a victory, too! At first I was disappointed on the day I went to FL last week, that I hadn't lost any more weight since I saw my parents a month earlier. But then I realized -- I WAS 20 LBS LIGHTER THAN WHEN I MADE THE RESERVATIONS FOR THE TRIP!!! That was something to shout about, to be proud about. Same goes for you; you've done great thus far, and will continue.

FittMom - Welcome!

Marie - I LOL'd about the reason for my screen name. Nah, if I named myself after the blower, I would be OverpricedLeaf!

PatchworkPenguin - I hope your power is all resolved... no ISP -- eek!

PresMaggie - A loose top is definitely a victory. I've had a lot of those myself. My shirts all look so good now, it makes me realize they must have looked awful before! And look how close you are to your first goal... You'll be there soon!

DancerInDenver - you are so pretty, before and after!! And re: the Botox, wow. It definitely filled you back out, and took those wrinkles away. I'm glad you are happy with the results!

Working on losing some bloat...

Last edited by newleaf123; 07-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #55
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good morning friends! It's a beautiful cool morning here in the midwest. Temps today in the high 70's, unseasonably cool for us but I'm not going to complain! Walked this AM, nice and cool out. No big plans for today, I'm thinking I might try going through some stuff in the basement, then taking DD and a friend to the pool this afternoon.

Newleaf, thanks for the pep talk! I've decided I'm not going to stress about not losing and really get back to business when I go back to school. When do you leave for you next trip? How did you find your rental? LOL about the leafblower, maybe your DH and mine are related! Give him a yard tool and he's happy as can be!

Dancer, I see a big difference! Are you sure you belong in the 40's group, you look much younger? How long is the injection supposed to last?

Presmaggie, Of course you are worth it! Seeing change in our clothes is a great reward for our hard work! Keep it up!

Patchwork, Laundry! UGH! Never finished. We did go to a front loader this winter and it holds a lot more than my old one so I can wash more at once. It's still my least favorite household chore!

Marie, glad you finished all of your big project. I agree, the 1 pound is way more exciting though! Way to go!

WELCOME fittmom! Can't wait to hear about power 90X. Hope you keep posting with us. This is a great group!

Beemer, Bunnies and Birds too! What a busy house!

Welcome back Losermom, glad you had a great trip!

Hi Cruise, are you getting back to your old routine?

Hope everyone has a great day! Weekend here we come!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #56

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Newleaf - the 20lb difference between when you planned the trip and when you went on it is amazing - that must feel so good!

Presmaggie - Isn't a cleaning lady just the best indulgence ever? I absolutely love it. And there is no question about whether you deserve it - remember those old loreal hair dye commercials, 'because I'm worth it' - not a bad personal mantra in a pinch : ) Aren't we all here because we feel that we're worth improving and taking care of?

OMW - I'm jealous of your cool walking weather - that sounds great. My last walk was mid-90s and blisteringly sunny.

Thanks, guys, for the botox comments - I hope the posting of giant pix of myself didn't come across as vanity or some weird self-obsession - it's just that some of you had asked for before and after closeups as it's so hard to know which of these procedures actually work. And as far as how long it lasts, apparently that varies a bit but at first it lasts 3-4 mos and then for many/most people you only need it twice a year or less for maintenance as the muscles get trained not to wrinkle. This first session cost $200 in case you were curious. I have a feeling I'll be making another appt in 4 mos : ) I realize after I lied about the last picture - I retook it later in the day since the earlier ones didn't show the crowsfeet well and I have eye makeup on, but anyway, you get the idea.

Happy Friday all! I have my 12-yr old niece coming over for a sleepover tonight and am psyched to have some girl time. I may put her hair in pincurls to sleep on - anyone else do that when they were little?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

dancer - it was really interesting to see the before and after pics. Your face looks better, but it's hard to pinpoint why without the close ups. It seems to have worked really well for you. It's a lot better than the women who overdo it to the point where they have no expression at all on their faces - at that point, they look pretty unnatural. I didn't realize that it could be done in a way where you still look natural.

Onmyway - I love morning walks, too. It'll be sad when it's dark in the early mornings again - it's been so nice to see the flowers and wildlife (saw two deer this morning).

newleaf - thanks for reminding me about my first goal. I forgot that I'm really close.

penguin - interesting about your weather. Sometimes I forget about how big North America really is and how different the climates are. I grew up on the Canadian prairies where winters were very cold and the summers were dry and hot. I prefer the more moderate climate of the west coast where I live now.

I went out for a long walk this morning and I had to leave shortly after 5AM to get back in time before dh left for work. It's such a lovely, quiet time of day and it lifts my spirits for the day.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #58
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning ladies....

Sorry I wasn't around much yesterday, I finally left the house and got my running around done; bank, Costco, Target, and Rite-Aid for an ice cream. Did you all know that Rite-Aid has hand scooped ice cream. I just found out last month and have to admit it's really good. It's a nice way to have a treat without having it in the house.

I'm back on the treadmill (slower pace) but not the Bowflex. Have decided as long as I can "feel" that I have had surgery I would wait.

Dancer - LOVE the results!!! I have to agree with OMY, are you sure you are 40 something? Everyone here looks so youthful it makes you wonder if fat is a preservative.

Pres- baggy clothes are a BIG success. I find the purging of those over sized clothes VERY motivating. For me it is commitment not to look back. Although I have to tell on myself, yesterday when I was getting ready to go I looked for a pair of capris that I donated for like 20 minutes before the light bulb went off. For a split second I questioned why I got rid of them they were one of my favorite pairs, well they were falling off my butt and they looked frumpy.

LM - I think many of us have been in a maintenance mode this summer. I know for me it feels good to find balance while living life. Life includes vacations, holidays, weddings, and parties that I don't plan on avoiding. My plan is to stay within "MY" comfort zone. At this point I'm thinking that will be roughly a 5 lb gain. I thought it would be 10 lbs. but my recent 7+ lb. gain really freaked me out. I've lost 2 of those but nothing since and I'm overly frustrated. I know I just started on the treadmill again and my body is in "recovery" mode but it really doesn't ease my mind. I see on my weight chart that I hit 148.4 for the first time back on April 28th, talk about a reality check. OK... I've typed that and just sat here looking at those numbers for like 10 minutes and have to say this does not feel good. The fact of the matter is I am not at maintenance and it really it time to get it together.

wow.... this REALLY sucks. I was in a good mood and now I'm just pissed with myself. Time to go get on the treadmill and really get honest about how I got here, where I want to be, and how to achieve my goals.

Sorry to leave on much a bummer.... I'll be back later.

CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #59

Rich Cocoa Bars--makes 28 bars

1 1/4 c cake flour {I used 3/4 white + 1/2 wheat}
2/3 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
1 1/4 tea b soda
3/4 tea b powder
1/2 tea salt
1 c milk
1 c prune puree {baby food}
1 egg
1 egg white
2 tea vanilla

Preheat 350* Beat Milk - vanilla. In seperate bowl mix flour - salt, Add flour mix to milk mix in stages. Mix slowly. Pour into greased 15 x 10 Jelly roll pan {since I had to transport the cake I made it in a 13 x 9}. Bake 25 min. Let cool

There was icing but it was icky so I left it off.
Family Circle's Eat What You Love & Lose
Cal 123, Fat 3 g, Pro 2g, Carb 23g, Fib 1g, Sod 133mg, Chol 15mg

On the internet no one knows you are typing with your beak.

An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!!

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst
Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #60

Morning all!

Its Friday, but Hubby decided to take advantage of the extra pay at work so He's going in on Sat, just when I was getting excited about the weekend!

Yesterday, I did a mile with a Leslie Sansone DVD, I did it barefoot of the hardwood floor so I wouldnt' get to 'into' it and work harder than I should. Mayve 2 miles today or a ballet workout.

I lost another pound! That makes 6!

While I was typing the recipe I pushed some button {one of the f's at the top of the keyboard?} and the bars of information at the top and bottom of the screen have disappeared. Anybody know how I can get them back???

Cruise, Probably better to take things slowly for your recovery. You don't want to hurt yourself and have to start over again. If you are gaining at least you realized it before it got too out of hand!

Maggie, Hubby and I both grew up here in Memphis, He was stationed {Navy} in the Pacific Northwest and we couldn't believe how different the weather was, either. I miss the long days and the cooler temps.

OMW, My Mom has a front loader and really likes it but I've got a stack washer/dryer stuck in a closet. At least its not in the garage.

Dancer, It hought the pics were great. I didn't know the botox would work that well.

Newleaf,Hubby checked last night and the wire is fine, just a little insulation had come off. ISP working fine today!!! Yay

On the internet no one knows you are typing with your beak.

An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!!

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst