Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I am not a cook at all. What's worse is that I like to do things quickly. My favorite healthy meal that fits the bill is fresh salmon fillet and steamed veggies, and the great part is that it's microwavable in less than 10 minutes! Just cut a thawed salmon filet into a 4 oz strip, sprinkle it with lemon juice and garlic powder, and then microwave it for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Put freshly cut broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini (whatever types of veggies you like best) altogether in a Ziplock steamer bag, and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Put it all on a plate and wah-lah! Dinner for 1! (Simply repeat for more than one serving!)
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #17  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

What is a Ziploc steamer bag? Sounds like a great invention!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

It's wonderful! It is a new product by the brand Ziploc, the company that makes freezer and sandwich bags, etc. It is specially designed to steam foods in the microwave. On the side of each bag, it even tells you for how many minutes to cook various foods in the microwave. It can be found in the grocery store by the other Ziploc products. Its official name is Ziploc Zip 'n Steam.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 03-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #19  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Heidi - When I get back I am going to fix your dish. We got chicken Sunday but I really didn't feel like cooking last night.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #20  

Height: 5'5"

CruiseCAT...I saw this on another site I visit. I haven't tried it but I thought I'd post it for you in case it is something you'd be interested in. The calorie count is what caught my eye.

Smarter Fettucine Alfredo

1/2 lb fettuccine, uncooked
1 1/4 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth, this is a little more than 1 can
4 tsp flour
1/3 cup Philadelphi 1/3 less fat cream cheese
3 Tbsp Kraft grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsely

Cook pasta according to directions.

Beat broth and flour in a medium saucepan with whisk until well blended. Add cream cheese, 2 Tbsp parmesan, nutmeg and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly.

Drain pasta in a large bowl. Add sauce, toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and parsely.

4 servings, 1 cup each

Calories: 300
Total fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 380 mg
Carbs: 46 g
Protein: 14 g
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #21  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, that's interesting. My younger son doesn't like red sauce and I've been wanting to find a white sauce for him to try, but figured it would be too heavy for my tastes... I'll have to give that a try! Thanks!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #22  

I like to make fajitas the easy way. I buy the pre-seasoned Southwest style chicken strips, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes. Slice it all up. Marinate it in fajita sauce a little while. Basically stir fry it or blacken it in a skillet. Top it with a little cheese and salsa.

My husband is a picky eater and doesn't like the fajita marinade so I have to make two different batches. But it's an easy meal and pretty healthy if you don't get carried away with the cheese and the marinade.

Plus our Shih tzus LOVE bell peppers too. So it's a hit with the entire family.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote