Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Fibre question

Thanks for all the replies on the fat question - the links are very interesting.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of fibre, though. Because (I guess) of all the fat I'm eating, I don't have Any problems at all with constipation, which I thought I might have.

So the question is: is the only point of fibre to make things pass through faster? If that's happening without the fibre, does it matter that I'm not getting very much of it?

Thanks.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

No, that isn't the only point of fiber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Why are you not getting much fiber? I don't know about all low carb plans, but with primal, massive vegetable consumption is part and parcel for this way of eating.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #4  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I second Kathy, I would think the vegetables would give you plenty but I'm not familiar with your plan. I follow a primal lifestyle and get plenty of fiber from the veggies I choose.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #5  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

In addition to the last two comments, I think the fiber I was getting from grains was creating too much bulk and constipating me. Over at the Primal Blueprint forums I found a pretty convincing thread that about how the diet industry's love of grain based fiber (whole wheat and oatmeal) is just more conventional wisdom that fails in the light of science and human metabolism. Just getting my fiber from green veggies has really straightened me out.

I sat down to a family spaghetti dinner last night. The bread and pasta both looked poisonous to me. I will never go back to putting my system through what that stuff does to it.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #6  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I know dogs and humans are different animals, but anyone ever notice how much healthier a dog is on a low fiber high protien food. The marketing angle in pet stores is that the dog's poops will be much smaller. How much bulk do we really need? Smaller poops are good for us too, I think.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #7  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

I sit in a truck all day, so I have flaxseed meal. Love the stuff.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote