General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 06:31 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:11 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hello girls!!

It was a beautiful day here today.....Well as nice as it can get up north at this time of year...the kids were even rollerblading in the driveway today, so that is sure a sign of spring....and we BBQ'd some steaks for supper.... so that was fun too

I'm sure enquiry minds want to know what I ate today, LOL... (yeah right!... but here goes anyways):

Breakfast:
- whole wheat english muffin w/ jam
- yogurt
Snack:
- whole wheat bagel toasted nothing on it
Lunch:
- beef barley soup, 1c
Snack:
- apple
- cantaloupe
- 1 oz macadamia nuts
Supper
- 4 oz steak
- green string beans w/ marg
- sweet potato
- sugarless jello

Total: 1443 calories and 42 grams of fat.....

I'm very please with that....and I had a power walk of 50 mins too.....

So that's my day in a nutshell....

Take care and talk again later.....

Bye for now.....

Lana.......
Old 03-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #3  
Chick

Good girl Lana! Sounds near perfect to me. I did pretty good too, but there was that lunch at mother's. I skipped mid-afternoon snack in hopes of redeeming myself.
Breakfast: Cereal w/ skim milk
Snack: Clif Bar
Lunch: roast, cabbage and onions, potatos w/ gravy, roasted carrot, ww roll, a smidge of Mississippi mud ice cream, pecan sandi (a small portion of all of the above)
Supper: butternut squash soup w/ ww crackers
Snack: Low fat popcorn
Exercise: Tough Tape

I plan to hike today. D and I are going out of town on little shopping trip. Will try to find low cal food for lunch.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:55 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hello Girls!!

Well Ledom considering you had that lunch at your mom's and were able to have just a small portion of everything you did very well... I have a difficult time when I visit my mom... I always head for the cookie jar, just like I did when I lived there over 20 years ago.....It must be a comfort thing...

Well this morning I stepped lightly on the scale and after having a very bad 5 weeks I have stayed the same.....whew!! So since January I've lost 7 lbs.....well better than gaining or gaining back the lost 7lbs...... I was sooo worried....So now I feel renewed so to speak, and I've been doing really good on the food for the last few days so I'm very pleased...

I was up at 5AM and went to the gym for weights and tonite I had a 50 min power walk.....

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:
- 1 c. oatmeal
- 1 c. soy milk
Snack:
- yogurt
- apple
Lunch:
1/2c. brown beans in tomato sauce
sweet potatoes
Snack:
- 2 oz cheese
- apple
Supper:
- Ceasar salad
- 1c. whole wheat pasta
- 1/2c. spag. sauce
- 1/2c. chick peas
Snack:
- fruit cocktail
- yogurt

1727 cals. 46 gr. fat.....

Not bad a little high in cals and fat, but I sure am satisfied! I can't believe how full I feel...

Well girls, hope everyone else has had a good day... it was my first day back to work... and it was very nice to see everyone again, and everyone seemed relaxed...till we all get stressed out again....LOL....

HAve a great evening....

Lana........
Old 03-20-2001, 01:29 AM   #5  

Hi everyone!

You are posting what you ate I see. Well, since today was one of my better days I will post too. (You would be shocked at a bad day!)

Breakfast
1 toast/light whipped butter
big orange

Lunch
salad (lots of 0 point veg./raw)with 2 T dressings
1 big orange

Dinner
1/2 cup pasta with lots of tomato, carrots, brocc. etc

snack
2 glasses Chardonnay

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Sorry about your hip Bannod! That is a drag. Shebacat your success is so exciting! I hope it is catching.

I am in California now and loving every minute of it. I bought a few clothes and did a BIG grocery shop of stuff to take back to Canada. Went for a walk today in the warmth and the sunshine. It was so nice.

I had a funny dream last night. I dreamt I switched to a diff. body. I was so thin but I didn't look like myself at all, I had a diff. haircolor and wasn't the least bit pretty (yah, I know my vanity is showing) But I was HAPPY with the trade thinking sooo what if I wasn't pretty but look at this great skinny body. HMMMM! Any ideas on the psychological meaning of this dream???
Old 03-20-2001, 10:47 AM   #6  
Chick

Judi...good to hear from you! Well, your dream means that you have losing weight on your mind but you know that losing weight won't solve all your problems? I'm not much at dream analysis - which by the way, did you see The Sopranos Sun. while you are out of town? There was a great dream sequence.

Well, a day in the big city was not great for my diet. I had a lovely restaurant lunch of Chicken Marsala w/ pasta and rosemary bread baked in a stone oven. I had a couple of small snacks the rest of the day to make up for it, I held my own on the scale, but it isn't really a day I want to post. I'll be home today so will exert more control.

I was at a discount store earlier this week and was looking at a sale rack of long denim/blue jean skirts, the kind I used to make out of old jeans 20 years ago. One a size too small was marked $5 and I thought what the heck? When I went to pay for it, it rang up $3. Well, I have that $3 skirt hanging on my closet door now. I want to fit into it. I think it might be cut small and it is probably more like 2 sizes too small. The most I can say is that if I really stretch at it, it will button. Hanging their it looks really neat and trim and it is my goal to fit into that skirt.

I am at a weird place where I'm feeling kind of hopeless about it all. My mood varies from time to time about what I feel is possible. I sometimes think I need to notch the PMD down 200 or 300 calories. But, then, I just think I couldn't possibly do that. You know how you are somethimes tempted to do a really radical diet that is destined to fail because you would end up starving yourself, but the thought of losing a quick 20 lbs. is just so irresistable. I've been feeling like that a bit lately.

I plan to do yard work today, burn off some of that pasta!
Old 03-20-2001, 06:17 PM   #7  

Ledom, I think you hit the nail on the head! (Dream analysis, I mean...I bet that is what it is...I will still have some serious problems left, the DH has serious health problems and that sort of thing.) Thanks for the insight.

No, I didn't see "Sopranos". Drats! We were driving until midnight. I hope they put the 2nd series on video. Even my hubby who rarely watches t.v. got hooked as well.

Take heart Ledom, you are still in there swinging and have not laid down the bat!! Also after a summer of hiking and kyacking you will be wearing that new denim skirt.

I am reading a good book I picked up in the Atlanta airport last year and have only now got around to it. It is called "Confederates in the Attic".

Enjoying the weather, all the more so when I saw the 10 forecast for rain at home.

Even the elderly dog, Parasha is walking around with a bounce in her step.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:24 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Default Good evening girls!

I think, I hope I pray, spring is here....It sure feels like it....snow is melting...birds are actually singing at 5:30 in the morning... and it's actually getting light out at that time...yesssssss there is hope...

Nice to hear from you Judi, sounds great in California...I have no idea what your dream means but it sure is an interesting one... I rarely dream anymore...i just sleep like a log...

Ledom, I have to agree with Judi, I know you will get into that skirt very soon... Hang in there girl!!...I've been hoping in the last 5 weeks for that miracle "drop 20 lbs. in a week diet"...But it ain't gonna happen!!!! But I just keep reminding myself that if I do that my health it at risk, and I want to be healthy... I have really been feeling good in the last few days too following more closely the PMD plan... Think how nice the compliments will be when we are "svelte", (there's that darn word again......) and you wearing that great "deal" of a skirt....Don't you just love deals like that!!

Here's what I ate today....

oatmeal
soymilk

carrots w/dip

sandwich: 2 ww sl bread, with romain lettuce and roasted red peppers and mayo
1/2 c. beans
fruit cocktail

apple
yogurt

sesame sticks (the girl at work had some of these, she says they are lo in fat.... but I could taste the oil in them...they were good tho... and this is what brought my cals and fat up today... they HAVE to be hi in fat... they were just too good...)

4oz ham
1 c. pasta
brocoli w/ dip

1625 cals....66 gr fat.....weights and a walk

Well that's it for me girls....hope you all had a great day...

Take care.....

Lana.........
Old 03-20-2001, 10:19 PM   #9  
Chick

Hey all, Well the early part of the day went according to plan. I had a dinner invitation that was much appreciated, but caused me to eat differently in the evening.

cereal/skim milk

clif bar

black bean chilaquile

banana/yogurt/almonds

chicken and asparagus pot pie/wilted salad/small(in a coffee cup) lime cream float/ 2 glasses of wine

Supper was just a normal meal, I took small portions, it's just that it makes me feel out of control when it isn't what I planned.

I went for a long mountain hike, about 3 miles, just about killed me. Having not done this hike in at least 3 months I could really feel the time off. I am going out in the kayak in the morning. Spring break is getting away too quickly. I stopped be to by a hat at the outfitters this afternoon where I bought my kayak and two of my students were there. They caught the bug from me I think - so if they get their kayak they have to go with me.

Thanks for your encouraging words girls, somehow having that skirt hanging there so I can look at it everyday help keeps me focused.

By the way Lana, congratulations on the springlike weather. You know, it is the first day of spring and spring equinox. I have camped on the equinox before but I guess not this year. Kayaking tomorrow will be my celebration.
Old 03-22-2001, 05:18 PM   #10  

Hi Lana, Shebacat, Bannod & Ledom,

How was the kayaking, Ledom?

I have going for long walks every day so far. We are heading home tomorrow and should arrive Sat. night or Sun. morning.

Breakfast
1 sourdough toast/light butter
2 eggs

snack
1 ff yogurt

lunch
1 sourdough toast/light butter
6 morningstar meatless breakfast links (I know 6 IS a lot )

snack
big orange

dinner tonight will be a big veg. stir fry on 1/2 cup rice noodles (and sometime in the rest of the day I will have 2 glasses of wine)

How is youe hip Bannod? Better I hope!
Old 03-22-2001, 08:49 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hey girls!!

Guess what happened here? It SNOWED!!!!!!!!!.......No one could believe it this morning...and it's 8:30PM and it's still snowing....it's thickk heavy snow too...it's quite mild and we all know it won't staylong but it's just the fact that we're all fed up of it....

I've been having good food and exercise days....

TodayI had:

Oatmeal
Soy milk

1c. grapes
Yogurt

Sandwich, on ww bun w/ 1 tbsp mayo, 3 oz salmon canned
carrots
yogurt

1/4 c. peanuts
carrots

3oz salmon steak
veggies in a lf cheese sauce

yogurt
grapes

How was the kayaking ledom... it must be really nice to have summer weather almost year round...sigh..yes I am feeling sorry for myself...lol

Well i have to get going... my eyes are really tired...and they need a good rest

Take care all

Lana............
Old 03-22-2001, 09:35 PM   #12  

Take heart Lana...the snow has to go for good soon it is almost the end of March!

Went for a long walk today and two shorter ones.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:00 PM   #13  
Chick

Lana, sheesh - more snow is NOT what you wanted! So sorry, it is bound to go away soon. Our extreme weather is generally in the summer so I'm sure to be complaining of ungodly heat within a couple of months. The ice storm we had this winter has set us up for forest fires this summer, there are so many dead trees and limbs on the forest floor now. As a matter of fact that is what I worked on today. I bought a small electric chain saw and did some minor clearing. Spring break is too short to do all the things I want to do, not to mention the things I need to do.

I went out on the lake the last 2 days. Both times I had fun. Yesterday I got out in the main channel of the lake, it was a bit windy and I seemed to do okay though I was a bit nervous. This morning I got up really early and the lake was like glass, just picture perfect. I loved it. Right now it is just me and the fishermen. We co-exist pretty well, when summer gets here the ski-doos and skiers will probably make me crazy.

Won't post my food today, but I did well. This morning when I weighed I was up 2 lbs. I don't know what is going on, hopefully retaining water because I have had a good week of food and lots of extra exercise. It is so frustrating that I feel disinclined to weigh again anytime soon and I also just don't want to think about it so much. I'll try to really stick to the diet and exercise and not obsess.

Donna, what's up with you? Miss hearing from you.

I plan to hike in the morning. Probably won't get out on the water again this week, as much fun as it is, I need to do other things. I'm looking forward to a camping trip in the near future. Oh, you'll appreciate this Lana - getting out of the kayak is ever so much harder than getting into it. Especially if the bank is the slightest bit steep as your butt is way lower than your feet. There is no graceful way to exit and yesterday I just kind of fell out into the water, I didn't get soaked just one leg and one arm. You know, that water wasn't all that cold. I was more worried about the possibility of having an audience than noticing if it was uncomfortable.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:00 PM   #14  
Goddess

I'm here.... just a lot of mental stress at work right now. I'm falling asleep by 8pm every night. We're being courted hot and heavy by a corporation and I'm just not sure it's a good thing. It would mean better benefits and prolly more money, but sometimes money isn't everything. I love my job, but I don't think I'd love it "over there".

Hip seems fine, thanks for asking. My eyes are doing fine too. I still reach for my glasses first thing every morning. Oops!

Your description of kayaking sounds wonderful. I could sure go for some of that quiet communion with nature right now...

I'm attending a wildlife rehab seminar on Saturday so that shoots half my weekend.

The weather here is wonderful - in the mid 70's. I wish I had the time to enjoy it...

Donna
Old 03-23-2001, 10:59 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hello girls,

Ledom that mirror image, picture perfect lake sounds so wonderful... I'd love to kayak I think... Youre description of falling out of the boat made me smile Ledom, I can only imagine how ungraceful it was to get out and look like you knew what you were doing....Our pride is so easily wounded...

I think your right Ledom about not obsessing about the scale, and just doing the right thing food and exercise wise...We seem to live by that scale, and why for??? I was up 1 lb this morning, and I feel great, I haven't felt this great and not hungry in ages...... I'm not hungry at all since I've been eating every, what is it, 2.5 hours? Good gosh, I'm constantly eating, never hungry, and because I'm not famished, I'm not trying to put everything in sight in my mouth when I get home while I'm making supper...And you're so active I can't believe it!! Cutting wood with a chainsaw??!! I could never do that....I'm just not the outdoorsy type...ewww......bugs!!....LOL....I'm not THAT squeemish, but camping is not my thing... gimme my shower every morning.....but I do love a good camp fire....So just keep up the good work that we all know you're doing.....

Anyways, I won't list the food I ate today either because I'm a bit tired.....and hubby is waiting with a nice glass of wine, but I did have a good food day....

Hope everyone has a great weekend.......

Lana.........
Closed Thread