General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 06:13 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.
http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:20 PM   #2  
Chick

Just a quick Howdy before gearing up for a long day. Night class tonight. Today is the opening of our Student Competitive Art Exhibition. A big project that I have been working on for ages. It'll be a blast, the students are excited, it is kind of like a big party. The show looks good, just a few last minute details to attend to before 2.

Food has been great for the last 2 days. When I have food prepared it is like day and night sticking with this. The great thing about PMD is how easy it is to fall into the mindset of it when you have the time to prepare for it.

D and I may go out of town this weekend for a pre-b'day shopping trip. D will be 17 in next week. If she doesn't have tests Fri., I think we'll take the day off so we can head out for a long weekend.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:26 AM   #3  

Hi ladies,

How is everyone doing? Ledom, it sounds like so much fun.....and then to spend a mother/daughter day out. I have something wonderful to tell ya'll since ya'll have been so supportive and encouraging. Today I reached my goal weight of 120 lbs. I lost a total of 90 lbs since about this time last May. I weighed 210 lbs then....and have been as heavy as 230. I went shopping this weekend, and bought a pair of Liz Claiborne jeans in a size 4. I took a size 8 in the dressing room, but it was too big. I then took a size 6 which was still a little too big. I want to thank ya'll for being such great friends. Just reading everyone's posts was very encourgaging. Other than that, things are pretty normal...long hours at work. I have managed to exercise though. I started doing the Taebo tapes....very strenuous. I needed a change. I'm planning on taking English riding lessons this spring since horses are my passion. Hope everyone is doing good.....talk to ya'll later.

------------------
shebacat
Old 02-21-2001, 12:31 PM   #4  

Shebacat!!! That is amazing!! I cannot say enough about how happy I am for you. ! You have done a trememdous job and are one special lady!!! WEIGHHHHH TO GO!!!
Old 02-21-2001, 12:39 PM   #5  
Chick

Shebacat, Wow!!!!! We have chatted so little about #'s on this board that I managed to not comprehend how well you have been doing. What an amazing and awe inspiring change you have made in your life. My hat is off to you. And then some! I can only imagine how fabulous you must be feeling. No whining, no moaning no groaning, you JUST DID IT!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2001, 05:52 PM   #6  
Goddess

Fantastic!!!! That's so exciting, shebacat! Not to mention inspiring. I had no idea you'd come so far. 'Course, I haven't been here that much, so how would I know?

I'm so happy for you, shebacat!

Donna
Old 02-21-2001, 06:03 PM   #7  
Goddess

Oh yeah, I just uploaded a new picture of my granddaughter to my dinky little webpage. If you click on my profile, you'll find the address that'll take you to my photo page.

Oh, the little house showed up after I posted this. Cool! Click on that instead.

Donna

[This message has been edited by Bannod (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 10:12 PM   #8  
Chick

testing
Old 02-22-2001, 10:19 PM   #9  
Chick

Hey guys! Shebacat, you are a celebrity, did you see the thread addressed to you? I hope you tell your story there because I want to read it! Before and after stories are my favorites.

judi, DH is home now isn't he? Bet you guys have a lot of catching up to do.

Donna, my home computer crashed when I tried to download the pic so I will check it out at work next week.

After lots of overtime the last couple weeks, I am taking a long weekend. D and I will head out of town this afternoon when she gets out of school. Looking forward to some R&R as well as shopping. Hope to see that new movie everyone is raving about "Crouching Tiger, Sleeping Dragon".

Old 02-22-2001, 11:35 PM   #10  

Good morning ladies,

Hi Ledom, yes DH is home and is taking some days off. We have been busy doing this and that.

I made him your Mexican dish and he LOVED it and he isn't much of a Mexican food fan (I am though).

Let us know what the movie is like. We are going to see "Hannibal" this weekend.

The snow is finally going. Yahoo! Can't wait until spring!!!

Sounds like everyone is doing well. I stayed the same weight this week. (pooh, pooh) There is no getting around it, I have to make exercise a consistent part of my life. Food wise, I have gotten accustomed to being within my points. It is just the exercise thing!!
Old 02-23-2001, 12:28 AM   #11  
Goddess

Ledom,

I don't want to crash your work computer, too! I'll email it to you when I get home.

Donna
Old 02-23-2001, 11:29 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all the congrats! I really do feel much better.....in control of my life instead of the other way around. My next thing is a makeover. Then I'll have to take pictures so I can see the before/after look. Ledom, thanks for pointing out the thread. I'll have to sit down and write out my story to post. I'll try to do it this weekend, but I have to work at both jobs on Saturday. The friend I went shopping with on Sunday has lost about 65 lbs since last year. She wanted to get down to 150 lbs (she's at 158 today), and down to a size 12. After she saw me get into a size 4, she called me up to tell me that I had inspired her to get to a size 10 and 140 lbs. I really appreciate all of your support on this thread. I know we don't always talk about diet/weight loss, and that is what I like. I consider ya'll friends and not just weight loss buddies. Well, got to go get some sleep. Talk to ya'll later.

------------------
shebacat
Old 02-23-2001, 05:17 PM   #13  
Goddess

I'm looking forward to reading your story, shebacat!

Donna
Old 02-25-2001, 09:35 PM   #14  
Chick

Bannod, Your grandaughter is a living doll. Bet you can't wait to see her again.

shebacat, I know exactly what you mean about posting about other things than the diet. If that is all you focus on, you soon run out of things to say. But let me tell you; you, and your friend, are inspiring me to quit fooling around and get serious about what I am doing. Both of your numbers are impressive.

D and I had a great getaway. I bought some books at my favorite used book store, but the big purchase was some new exercise shoes. My Nikes had begun to squeeze my toes on one foot and I was developing a foot problem that was getting in my way. Got some New Balance shoes that have a wider toe box. I wore them all day yesterday and they were so comfortable I didn't have the urge to take them off until bedtime.

Guess I'll got to the store this afternoon when D gets around and can go with me. We both came back from our trip in the mood to get toned up for summer, so I think we'll be eating lots of salads, etc. I am planning to reread the diet today. 4 fruits, 5 vegs. a day, my mantra for the week.
Old 02-25-2001, 10:28 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Hello dear girlfriends,

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. DH was away this week and between working on kids science projects and after school activities, I was tired at nite, and didn't feel like posting... altho I was lurking... and read about all your good news...

Shebacat......WHOA!!!!!!! 120 LBS!!!! Isn't that wonderful. It has given me incentive once again...

I was doing well I even was down 2 lbs this week, to 157, then DH went away for 2 nights and I ate at my mother's one night, and blew my resolve right there and then....What is it about going back home that makes me resort to eating the way I did when I lived there??? I will have to ponder that question, and stop those habits.

Other than that, the week has flown by... Spring is NOT around the corner here, we woke up to freezing rain this morning, but now it's only rain... well maybe that will melt the snow we have...

I will keep in touch more often this week, and you girls take care and stay OP, as the saying goes.....

Later....

Lana... ....

P.S.: Donna, what a beautiful baby she is!!
Now I'd love to see a pic of you...

[This message has been edited by Lanaii1 (edited 02-25-2001).]
Closed Thread