Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I calorie count. When I started, I tried to keep my calories to about 2000, and dropped slowly as I lost. I should be eating a little under 1800 calories/day to lose at the rate I'd like now, but am struggling a little lately (too much stress and now too many celebrations)... but I'm working on it.

I digress.

I started simply calorie counting, but like Jill said, learned quickly that some foods give me more bang for my buck. So, like many here, I try to make healthy choices. My plan has evolved over time. Early on, I just calorie counted and tried to keep fats down. Then other changes sneaked in...

I have been very inspired by Glory's story, and while I don't completely follow the superfoods plan, I think about nutrition in my day. Currently, I try to make sure I get a minimum of 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of veggies a day. Osteoporosis runs in the family, so I try to get 1500 mg of calcium/day (though I do supplement if I need to). Now I do a lot of weight lifting, so I'm trying to keep my protein close to 25% of my calories, fat around 25% and carbs at 50%. I try to keep the saturated fats down, and try to focus on "good fats".

It's a lot to keep track of sometimes. I never would have thought of doing all of this at the beginning. Actually, at the VERY beginning, I just restricted portions and brought lunch and snacks to work.

So, the short answer is: calorie counting with a focus on health and nutrition, but that shifts over time...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #17  

I am doint weight watchers. It is the only thing that has worked really well for me. My highest weight was 326 and when I started weight watchers May of this year I was 322.4. As of my wi for the week, Wednesday I am now down to 243.6, down a total of 78.8lbs so far. I am learning to eat properly and know that as I continue this for life I will beable to maintain my final goal.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #18  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Sounds like it's working for you, losingtowin.

It's interesting that so many people have taken the change-your-lifestyle approach, with Weight Watchers or calorie counting and it seems to be working. It's especially interesting to me now, because I've been bouncing back (and, hence, not losing) between WW and low carb for years now. After much soul searching, I decided to go back to Weight Watchers. And the usual happened: The first week, I lost quite a bit. The second week I gained a pound, third week gained a pound, this week lost a pound. I've never figured out whether the points are too high for me or, more likely, when I'm on WW I stay within points, but I choose bread and other starches.

Anyway, I had a doctor's visit, and she told me -- well, strongly urged -- me to do low carb and stick to it for 30 days. (Great time of year for that. My problem with low carb has been that within a week I've convinced myself that using the balanced diet approach is much better and I go back to WW -- and bread.) I told her I'd give it my best shot.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Xan -- you might want to check out the South Beach diet. The first two weeks are more restrictive but in general the plan seems sensible from what I've heard. I will say, however, that I don't know a lot about it!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #20  
Becoming a butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
Sounds like it's working for you, losingtowin.

It's interesting that so many people have taken the change-your-lifestyle approach, with Weight Watchers or calorie counting and it seems to be working. It's especially interesting to me now, because I've been bouncing back (and, hence, not losing) between WW and low carb for years now. After much soul searching, I decided to go back to Weight Watchers. And the usual happened: The first week, I lost quite a bit. The second week I gained a pound, third week gained a pound, this week lost a pound. I've never figured out whether the points are too high for me or, more likely, when I'm on WW I stay within points, but I choose bread and other starches.

Anyway, I had a doctor's visit, and she told me -- well, strongly urged -- me to do low carb and stick to it for 30 days. (Great time of year for that. My problem with low carb has been that within a week I've convinced myself that using the balanced diet approach is much better and I go back to WW -- and bread.) I told her I'd give it my best shot.
Xan, you can do it. I never thought I could stick to low carb. I started 10/3 at 243, and had lost 20 lbs in the first month. THAT motivated me to keep at it. I have never been able to lose like this. I have PCOS, and diabetes type 2, and it is very difficult to lose. I have been off plan for a week, and really need to get back to it. I started back today. I have lost a total of 27 lbs so far. ( Not sure if my ticker is updated yet.) If you can commit to staying very low carb for just 4-5 days, you will be in ketosis, and lose your appetite and cravings for carbs. With me, the more carbs I have, the more I want them. I hope you will update, and let us know how you are doing! Good luck, and take care!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #21  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hi Xan!

I have always been an all or nothing dieter when it comes to formal plans - one little deviation from the script and I feel like I failed - so I have taken to just making the healthiest choice I can make for each meal and keeping my portions small. I look for the least processed options, with good fats (not saturated or man made), and high fiber. I eat snacks when I'm hungry, but I don't strive for a set number of calories or a menu plan. I try to make smart choices like asking for dressings on the side and eating from the outsides of the market (fruits, varied veggies, fish, chicken, lowfat dairy). I don't eat a lot of bread because it's a trigger food for me. I also try to get whole grain things in my day.

Oh yeah, and walking is key. Even though I'm hating it right now because this is a lot of weight to haul around! I know this won't work without exercise now and forever.

I did read You on a Diet this past week and really learned a lot. It's not a diet per se, but an interesting read on how the body works, why we are driven to eat the way we do, and what kinds of foods and nutrients we should incorporate into our lives. The information can be adapted into whatever plan you are following. It's the best diet book I've read and very unlike the dozens of others I've read.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-08-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #22  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Heather -- I've flirted with South Beach. I think what I'm doing is closest to that, although I do eat animal fats (doctor knows). I have low cholesterol and normal blood pressure, and I've read enough about it to satisfy me that saturated fat is not the villain.

Trista, thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad it's working so well for you and hope it continues.

CC, you are right about walking. That's top of my December To Do list -- starting tomorrow (dn't laugh; I mean it). I'm working from home for the next month and so will be able to schedule it. I'll have no excuse not to do it -- 30 minutes a day. Every day. Yes.
Closed Thread